Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I've also seen so many trans women talking about always playing as female characters online and messing around with character creation options for hours at a time before they figured out they were trans, perhaps there is something to video games (despite being deeply flawed and full of toxic culture) offering a chance at expression leading to a general tech interest? or just self selection from the communities I see online.

video games are a technological product that sometimes give you the ability to inhabit a character of your design with limited if any real life consequences; people who are interested in gender mutability are going to be drawn to that even if they never transition (i.e. i only ever played as lady shepard and my splatoon character is a girl that dresses like me but i still identify as a straight cis dude)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

yooo I’m a trans lady let me maybe weigh in on this. I liked femshep a lot but for a lot of games I prefer male characters because they aren’t distastefully sexualized or something. let me tell you about my sexy night elf hunter

oh yeah, that's the other thing about games i've played in the last few years

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

are people actually offended by "dude" or "guys"? idgaf about that poo poo and I assumed outrage about it was just a conservative strawman.

i've heard from plenty of cis women that those bug them, and if someone said "what's up ladies" to a group i'm been part of i'd probably feel it was intentionally insulting so it's just easier to always say "y'all" or "people"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

Well ya men are constitutionally incapable of saying "ladies" in a non creepy way.

#notallmen

https://twitter.com/ussoccer_wnt/status/617777453210054656

http://the-toast.net/2015/07/06/annotating-the-rocks-inspirational-workout-video-message-to-the-u-s-womens-soccer-team/

quote:

0:02 – “Hey, what’s up, ladies?” Do you have any idea how difficult it is for a man in a muscle tank to say “Hey, what’s up, ladies” in a manner that is neither suggestive nor condescending? It is very nearly impossible; The Rock achieves it in the first two seconds. This is a man who genuinely wants to know what is up with these ladies. No one ever told The Rock what sexism is, so he has never once committed an act of it. Please do not tell him about it now. He would be absolutely crushed if he knew.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
(keeping in mind that dwayne "the rock" johnson said a lot of really problematic stuff during his wrestling career)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powaqoatse posted:

ive only heard of bad surgery butts, are there good butt surgeries?

i guess news mostly talk about the weird concrete/caulk type.... but sitting on a artificial thing all day every day :/

unless you live in the woods you’re probably already sitting on an artificial thing every day

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

do you regularly measure the volume of your piss?

I’ve definitely measured the mass of a #2 before (by getting on the scale before and after)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Crazy Achmed posted:

trying to think of a joke about 6 sigma here

all i can think of given this thread is "stick stigma"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

You should always use a person's current pronouns to refer to them when recounting past events unless they've explicitly given you permission not to.

the way i had it explained to me was that we don't say "back when the earth was flat" to refer to the time everyone thought it was flat

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

so i was talking to a trans friend about various things and eventually the topic wound up with her talking about the kinds of cute things she likes to wear, but that she's afraid that she's "a trans-girl co-opting 'trap culture'"

i assumed this meant trap music culture but :stonk:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

it's a question i hadn't really considered before. my face-value assumption was that when a person has come out and asked some people they work with to start using their new name/pronouns, they would prefer that treatment from everyone.

one of my friends, when she reintroduced herself to a group of us, straight up told the rest of us that she wasn't planning on being out at work for a few months

so idk if you're not sure, ask?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just saw HRT pills referred to as "methamfeminine"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CommunistPancake posted:

my now-sister came out to the family in a group text yesterday (none of us knew, though i had some idea). had a pretty stressful time waiting for my parents to figure out what to say in response, but in the end i think they're down with the whole concept. she explicitly said not to out her to any extended family members, so it's going to be pretty lovely having to deliberately misgender her each thanksgiving at my Ayn Rand-loving Fox News-watching grandparents house.

i think coördinating your own parallel thanksgiving celebration with real friends and no white nationalist family members would be a good thing to do for her

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

my mental self image is one of those magnetic beard toys

do beards not just play with the same toys everyone else does?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm trying to subtly raise this with my supervisor so that something like this doesn't happen again. Phrasing it as missing people who give us a different preferred name as opposed to legal name. I might have to go directly to HR though.

be prepared to have to push the right thing through your department regardless because hr will probably care more about legal compliance than doing right by your fellow workers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If my department does push-back, I already have my bomb for HR ready to go to force compliance. Being in Canada and a post-secondary institution gives some leverage.

oh hell yeah

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

there's always the twitter knockoff "mastodon" which has been gaining popularity as a decentralized social media net. my exposure is limited but it's full of queer people. since anybody can host their own instance of it there's also a bunch of queer-oriented ones.

yeah even as a white cis tech bro most of the people i read & chat with aren't, it's pretty nice

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Stymie posted:

it's not so bad if you settle for only a few injections rather than a brazilian

lol

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Speaking from experience? Does Stymie have a badonkadonk?

they just got a few injections rather than a brazillion

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jit bull transpile posted:

clearly what we need is a version of LATeX with ligatures for gender

\hspace

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ultravoices posted:

is p r i v a t e

they have a patreon that gets you an account: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=634163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jit bull transpile posted:

no no no that's the transgender planet Riddick is from

open palm slam monologue but instead of VHS it's HRT