Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

i am only an "A" in the lgbtqia* and only know like four trans people in real life (at least, as far as i know) so i have always felt it's not really an appropriate subject for me to broach, but i have wondered sometimes how come there seem to be a lot more trans yosposters per capita than irl

my guess was just that yospos is one of the few tech forums that isn't actively hostile to the trans community and so tech itself didn't necessarily have anything to do with it. interesting to learn that it might be not just my perception though.

sa as a whole is pretty dang trans so its one part that. but also this particular subforum has less maga chuds than some others on this site so it can be easier to see people say it rather than just disappear or never mention it.

even with pretty lovely mods all over the forums for the past nearly 18 years its still been a hell of a lot more moderation/protection of a lot of kinds of people than you would get on any sort of prominent discussion site, and often still is. which says a lot more about the internet than sa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Boring paper writing folk have used "gender and sex minorities" before

yeah but that doesnt work when u only got verizon coverage

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zamujasa posted:

how do people make a decision about gender bullshit, anyway

i went from "haha i'm trans :downs:" to "i don't know poo poo and i think i'm full of it :saddowns:" again today and just like. gently caress, how do people decide this. i'm not really dysphoric other than hating facial hair and my awful body, i think about it sometimes but it's not like it's a huge issue to me

yo you're saying you're pretty dysphoric right there just saying!

Triglav posted:

maybe cuz west coast + hippie school, but "they" was taught to me and what i heard as a kid

wasn't strictly taught to me but like, we all used they that way and none of the teachers ever taught against it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
one thing to consider in general is that if you have had something suppressed for long enough whether through somewhat consciously doing so or as a result of depression or something, it may feel like you only feel it a little now. But actually investigating it or lifting depression or w/e can lead to you realizing you really feel that quite a bit.

the key is really that if it really was a big issue after all it will hit you at some point on its own seemingly out of nowhere when you aren't prepared for it. While finding it now is about as prepared as you can be and also means that you'll probably be doing something about it to help asap, so it never gets the chance to build up worse.

finally, consider just asking you're self a list of things, things along the lines of "if this thing happens or I make this choice, what am I afraid or concerned about of it". And then try to find solutions you can do in that hypothetical future, for that trait, or sideeffect.
And incidentally having that down on paper and shared with a psych or therapist can really help - both by telling them about you and showing where you are worried the most atm. It can be a wonderful way to break the ice in talking and gender/sex/sexuality concerns. And you can do it starting now!

Just the other night an nb friend and I talked over some of their concerns about going on T and how to handle them. They're going to finally ask their care team about the process to get it. And their long term anxiety about doing that is already clearing up. 💮

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

is that a satanic pentagram emoji

e: oh it's 'white flower' but it's got a transparent background so i'm just seeing some five-lobed red thing on black lol

Yeah it's either a happy flower or a weird demon symbol depending on emojis, theme, etc, so I like it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
no one's going to find out if you just shave your upper arms or something, especially this time of year

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ey if you can afford it there are home laser devices for hair removal these days that actually work. However they do tend to require a tighter tolerance on the skin tone/hair tone thing then a clinic might, so if you were on the borderline before for effectiveness you might skip it altogether.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

interesting, i thought those were still scams like those commercials for muscle relief via pulsing lights

i'd have to ask an expert but i think i'm borderline anyway--i'm light skinned and dark haired which is good but 90% of my body hair is quite thin and sparse/spaced out, i heard it works better on coarse and thick hair

i know it was fully intentional but i still laughed at the user/av/post combo, thanks :cheers:

Basically a lot of companies used to sell "home laser treatment" that was just low power ipl and barely worked. They still do, but now there's stuff like the tria 4x and others around that use legit lasers and will actually do hair reduction just like a clinic

Albeit it will be slower than a professional technician with a full system going because you're not able to use them as quickly. But instead of a tightly scheduled treatment session you just do it in your free time so it doesn't matter you might take 3 hours to cover an area you'd do in an hour at a clinic

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
reminder that if ur on spiro, you would do well to check if you can get on lupron or similar GnRH agonist medications

pretty rare to actually get them covered and they're very expensive without insurance, but they are much more pleasant than the side effects of normal antiandrogen medications

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
regardless of anything else, marriage comes packaged with a shitload of rights that can otherwise only be accessed via very complicated custom contracts between individuals in question, if they can even be accessed at all. additionally, pursuit of securing gay marriage et al usually entailed securing other forms of rights outside marriage first to get to the point where you could convince a court or legislature to do gay marriage stuff

it also seems kinda weird that it ignores that the push for it rose up in a lot of other countries at different times and in different group dynamics entirely, because marriage is a similarly useful thing to have there, and in fact that push is still ongoing. because in the end it doesn't matter who first proposed it in a rich private club 50+ years ago, it's objectively useful for all sorts of people in the here and now

as pointed out he's dead wrong about a lot, but there definitely is a "mainstream" LGBT that pushed gay marriage hard, to the point where transpeople especially were often thrown under the bus as a political bargaining chip. for a long time "popular" LGBT was actually GLB and sometimes T and we're only now really moving past that

this feels like its implicitly overstating how much support was being given to transpeople before gay marriage became an issue people were heavily pushing for :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

i'm gonna say -> america.txt

breast aug is usually an outpatient procedure (unless something's gone horribly wrong). quite often it won't even be done at a full on hospital because it doesn't need to be.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krakox posted:

How do you know if you have dysphoria or not?

generally if you are asking this you have it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

hey just noticed this threa...

what the poo poo, fishmech :mad:

not you, gosh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

another question i should probably be directing at my therapist rather than The Internet (but drat me working with a therapist without insurance is expensive and i don't want to take up any more time than necessary on anything but giving the old sadbrains the boot)

say a person fantasizes about being or wishes they were the other gender, but doesn't feel bad or stressed or whatever about their biological gender (sex? did i mix that up). to you all does that run counter to the definition of being transgender or dysthymic, and into the realm of simple fantasy/dreams, or what

perhaps you want to look into some aspects of being genderfluid or other sort of nonbinary related things

maybe that will describe how such a person feels, which can and often is seperate from any medical interventions they might want for their body

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also it's not like a nephew is going to be too young to contact on their own forever. I know someone who got cut off from several of their younger relatives for a while, some whose parents eventually accepted them others who didn't. In the end the ones whose parents stayed assholes all got to like high school age and were able to reestablish contact with this friend of mine and have fairly normal interactions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

Like, stuff like this is literally a classic thing where people say it's hormones but research says it's "starting hormones allows people to shed a lot of emotional baggage and bodily dysphoria that were preventing them from fully connecting with themselves emotionally and sexually"

This yeah.

Even though like, dudes who inject a whole bunch of testosterone and analogs into themselves will get rage issues from it, few people ⚧ are going to start with that as you're baseline

All too often what your first doses of hormones are doing are you letting yourself feel differently than you would before because You Made A Change and so you stop suppressing all sorts of things so much

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can compare to like how people who have been extremely depressed for a long time and get on effective medicine, and then they kill themselves. Usually this is because they'd been suicidal for a while but could never get up the effort of suicide. And they end up in an awkward place where they're treated enough to act on it but not treated enough to not want to.

Some would say the pills cause the suicide, but that's not really what happened. With a better situation they might have been able to make it through that awkward middle stage and survive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krakox posted:

Actually googling toxic masculinity led me to realize that while having tunnel vision about work is cool, i am suffering in all other respects. Sure I can pretend I'm john wick while doing cool things on the clock, but i haven't talked to a single human being irl or online since leaving the office. That is bad!

I've realized the inherent danger of this in a lesser form the other week and bought myself a model car kit, just so i'd have something short term to focus on. I like to garden and exercise and this winter hasn't been conducive for that. this is my first time north of the Mason-Dixon line and the lack of sun is tough. Taking lots of vitamin D!

I've got a real great therapist, i've been seeing her for a few months now. But I got to get out more. Something along the lines of taking sure footed steps to being a normal human. The boy scout in me knows that 3 square meals, plenty of sleep, human interaction, and physical activity will go leagues for my well being. I signed up for pro wrestling classes? I'll see if I like em.

Stressing out about work (while fun!) has def been affecting my well being and my relationships and my sexual health! I have hustled from the dirt of the southland to a nice enough position in the north and while I'm glad to be here I miss the authentic friendships and connections of doing dumb poo poo down in the carolinas.

I didn't realize that a constant unyielding focus at work was going to gently caress me up so bad. I need to be softer. That's important. Softer doesn't mean sleeping in on a weekday, it means structural improvements and allowances for myself so I don't feel welded in all the time.

I realize this isn't really queer talk as much as it is 'holy poo poo i've been quietly murdering myself for the past three months' talk, but I think I'm getting better just writing this out!

a lot of people in bad situations stop even believing in a future beyond the immediate next day or week. No long term goals anymore stuff like that. If they keep this up too long its like, as one friend said "I thought I would be dead by 25 but now I'm 29 and have no idea what to do besides get through the next day"

Do you feel like this might describe how you felt /maybe even still feel?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zamujasa posted:

i just assume that someone identifying as a "trap" is the same kind of person who identifies as an apache attack helicopter: an rear end in a top hat that is not serious and also almost certainly not worth associating with, ever

ehhhh nah they're way more likely to be someone who has to insist to themselves for some reason that they're not doing this "seriously" even when they're 7 years in on hrt etc. a strange form of being in denial. kinda like a weird reflection of i-must-be-a-50s-housewife-or-its-not-real-enough people who always insist on saying they have hbs or whatever that was, that one long discredited diagnosis standard

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol if nearly every hotel doesn't ask if you want two beds just lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzKNQH3Unwo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hey fishmech you mentioned home laser hair removal was A Thing now, what do i punch in to google to get me a not-garbage one? is there a particular brand?

this is the one I use: http://www.triabeauty.com/products/hair-removal-laser-4x

the current one I'm using, was one that was on sale at a boston thrift store for $10 since the place clearly didn't know what it was, but a more typical price for a used one will be around $100-$200 since obviously you might not want to pay the full $400 for a new one, even though i know plenty of people who have got them new because they didn't want to risk a dud.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thanks. you've seen legit results with it? because it's got my favorite red flag weasel word "FDA-cleared" right there in the first sentence...

yes and so have several people i know

i personally use it for removing certain parts of my facial hair and dealing with body hair. it works well. and a lot of people i know using them are using it on areas they aren't exactly comfortable with showing in a public facility, even though obv a clinic is usually pretty discreet about that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

i wonder how this thing compares to waxing

less out of gender / queer concerns and more a visceral hatred of body hair i think, but anyway i'd considered going to a salon and getting parts of me legs waxed, see how it looks, 'cos shaving... works but looks kind of rubbish and porous even immediately, let alone when the stubble runs in

(e) i've never been blessed with dense coarse hair so i dunno how well laser would even work, maybe a pic of me leg or hand is in order tonight

well the main thing is that when you wax almost all that hair will grow right back in due time, whereas laser will actually reduce the amount of hair that can ever grow back significantly and electrolysis can be essentially guarenteed to destroy them for good (when done properly)

so ultimately waxing is great if you just want to see what it really looks like with things cleared away temporarily. but then again if you're like "gently caress i want this all the time from now on" you'll have missed out ona growth cycle that could have been killed near permanently with laser/electro and the next growth cycles won't be ready for treatment for a bit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

definitely don't hit dark moles with the laser, they're real heavy in melanin and will absorb far more of the laser energy than the rest of your skin and probably far more than is safe

eh still about the worst thing that'll happen is that you'll give yourself a small localized burn.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the crampedness of mcginns waiting room still sucks

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The laser can still burn you if you do something like try to make it work against unusually dark bits of skin like moles, but that is rare it usually halts itself

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Did bowers finish her teaching thing in New York that was meant to train in state surgeons for the area to service va/nedicaid/Medicare patients yet? Iirc it would be at least one surgeon in NY, one in CT, one for nj

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

this may be a crass question, but i don't mean it crudely: when a transwoman gets bottom surgery, how much input do you get into the look of your new parts? is it like a nose job and there's a book with pictures and you go "give me that one," or do different doctors have different personal styles, or is the appearance mostly dictated by your own geometry and what the doctor can do with it, or what?

roughly speaking

no, when you are first getting it done there isn't much room for saying "I want it to look just like this". you can get cosmetic/functional changes like labiaplasty later once things are more healed tho

there are different techniques that different surgeons will be doing so the average result will look different

what's already there does affect what can be done initially, but again you end up being able to change things more directly if you have the money later

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
please remember to follow the instructions to keep ur piercings clean!!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah the tria instructions and internet advice seem to vary between waiting one week and waiting two, so I'm just checking if I have to shave every weekend and if I do, lasering afterward (my body hair is mostly slow to grow, except for my pectorals--grossssss)

That said I just use an electric body groomer so it's not the closest shave in the world, I should probably just get a buncha disposable bics or something, but I'm not sure that matters for lasers anyway as long as it's short enough for energy to reach the follicle

(e) Though i do have to admit that after about half an hour it's like the lasering never happened as far as skin irritation goes so maybe I should harden up and use a higher setting and stop flinching, idk

so essentially what they expect you to be doing is that you won't turn the power up all the way and you won't have methodically gone over the treatment area quite closely enough.

as such, going over it more frequently then you'd do with a full power laser at a facility where the techs can ensure they treat the whole area makes sense, it is much more likely that you'll clear out each growth cycle as it's available to be treated, and after all you aren't paying per session so it doesn't matter that you're making the tradeoff to do treatment more frequently.

and even if you do always use full power and do it very carefully, it's not like it's going to ruin or hurt anything if you go over areas "too often", so it makes sense to just adjust the instructions to attempt to cover typical use.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pollyanna posted:

it's a real thing and it sucks and luckily i'm kinda futch/horrible-mess so it's not ungodly awful for me, but still

a recruiter recently got incredibly lovely at me when i said that i didn't want to talk about compensation until later in the process, which i mentioned here

poo poo she said:

so bullshit continues to happen

lol at them trying to push you for prior salary when that's explicitly illegal up there

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
if u got cash lipo people can take a lot but its unlikely to be covered by insurance.

also you generally cant have more than 10-20 pounds removed at once before its too dangerous, which is the sort of reason that surgeries that move body fat around can only promise so much in one go.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
protip for dr. brassard's office: be careful of the low ceiling when you need to use the bathroom there

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

I, otoh, am still trying to figure out how I'm going to poop when I'm not allowed to sit for 6 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFzTm6fy_zs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

Don't know enough, evidently. I was under the impression that testosterone usually wasn't enough to get the clitoris to the right size/shape for penetration, and they had to use something else that wasn't erogenous to construct the dingdong. Guess it works better than I thought. My mistake!

needless to say, the size results vary wildly for different people on different medication regimes, and some dudes just aren't going to be happy with the sizes involved.

so surgery that involves building more stuff even if it's not so sensitive remains in demand

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
there's no reason to use twitter directly when someone else is just going to post all the good poo poo on other sites imo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No poo poo, but I’m an "introvert" with social anxiety and a pretty severe bubble going, so I’m not going to be hopping out to clubs and groups in my city immediately.

The point isn’t to just read good poo poo, but actually have a minimal level of interaction. Obviously this wasn’t the proper place to ask, so I’ll shut up.

tumblrs good for that inasmuch as its a lot easier to ignore people tryna mess with you and there's a much lower level of direct interaction expected in the first place

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

Thinking of changing my name but I haven't settled on a good persona yet. I think cis autodrag really needs queens in her avatar and that's kinda over.

Can you use emojis in names yet

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lain Iwakura posted:

the use of "they" in the article is even better

i mean, that's just following basic journalism standards now - Associated Press, Reuters, etc all the big wire services require respecting pronouns in general and the use of singular they in particular for appropriate individuals, and nearly all the newspapers/TV reporters/etc are supposed to abide by those rules so their content can be used directly

a lot of people still intentionally ignore it, granted, but they're dwindling in number

http://m.ragan.com/Main/Articles/5c3654bd-bdef-4d97-a5e2-8d2a8d1f15da.aspx

really the decision isn't as broad as would be wanted, the official ap policy is to avoid, say, xe pronouns as often as possible and use they instead if neccesary. but you know, baby steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jit bull transpile posted:

Does Google have that feature? I thought that was an ios only thing.

Yeah

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7007852?hl=en