Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Its that time of year folks! Some bowls are happening! Some of them even matter! Some of them on the other hand are sponsored by Dollar General. Much like a couple years ago I'm gonna post some stuff about some of the quirky bowls going on this year, and if anybody else wants to chip in feel free. Here's this year's lineup (thanks Benne):

Benne posted:

Orange: Miami vs. Wisconsin
Fiesta: Penn State vs. Washington
Cotton: USC vs. Ohio State
Peach: Auburn vs. UCF

Citrus: Notre Dame vs. LSU
Alamo: Stanford vs. TCU
Camping World: Virginia Tech vs. Oklahoma State
Holiday: Michigan State vs. Washington State
Arizona: New Mexico State vs. Utah State
Las Vegas: Boise State vs. Oregon
Cure: Western Kentucky vs. Georgia State
Outback: Michigan vs. South Carolina
TaxSlayer: Louisville vs. Mississippi State
Dollar General: Appalachian State vs. Toledo
Sun: NC State vs. Arizona State
Pinstripe: Boston College vs. Iowa
Belk: Wake Forest vs. Texas A&M
Military: Virginia vs. Navy
Music City: Northwestern vs. Kentucky
Texas: Texas vs. Missouri
Foster Farms: Purdue vs. Arizona
Liberty: Iowa State vs. Memphis
Potato: Central Michigan vs. Wyoming
Birmingham: Texas Tech vs. South Florida
Independence: Florida State vs. Southern Miss
Cactus: UCLA vs. Kansas State
Gasparilla: FIU vs. Temple
Boca Raton: Florida Atlantic vs. Akron
Heart of Dallas: West Virginia vs. Utah
Quick Lane: Duke vs. Northern Illinois
Camellia: Middle Tennessee vs. Arkansas State
Frisco: Louisiana Tech vs. SMU
New Mexico: Colorado State vs. Marshall
Armed Forces: San Diego State vs. Army

All via https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy

Today I'll be starting off with the unironically greatest bowl game this year, the
MOTHERFUCKING
BAD
BOY
MOWERS
GASPARILLA
BOWL

Location: Tropicana Field in St Petersburg, Florida. (cap 42,735)

*not pictured: You, wondering why the gently caress there's a bowl game in this place

This place is a loving dump. It's by far the worst baseball venue this side of Citi Field and it doesn't fare much better as a football field, only awkwardly fitting to the point where the sight lines are god awful and the distance of most seats from the field is even worse.

Matchup: AAC vs ACC/C-USA

Bowl History:
To give you a little bit of flavor over how lovely this bowl is, the average kickoff attendance hovers around 20,000 and the actual game's only been close twice. In 2010 Louisville overcame a 14 point halftime deficit to beat Southern Miss, and last year Mississippi State edged Miami (OH) 17-16 in a game that was probably the second worst football game I've ever watched. What matters more are the numerous hilarious sponsors who have been saddled with this thing:

-2008: magicJack, a company that sells USB dongles that enable VoIP

-2009-Beef O'Bradys, the lovely restaurant chain that has all the little chotchkies on the wall. Fun fact, one of my uncles works in corporate for Beef O'Brady's and I got box seats for the 2010 game between Marshall and FIU. They catered Beef O'Brady's. I got food poisoning.

-2014: Motherfucking bitcoin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxknhTa8Zx8

-2015-2016: nobody

-2017: Bad Boy Mowers, who makes riding lawnmowers with zero-point turns and REALLY wants you to know about it.

Gasparilla is some lovely Tampa knockoff of Mardi Gras.

Pre-Bowl Events
Not much interesting here I'm afraid, usually this is the funny part.
12/17: Teams arrive, visit Johns Hopkins Childrens Hospital, then compete to make the most box lunches for the homeless
12/18: Teams go to Busch Gardens
12/19: The "Battle at the Beach" where teams/bands apparently compete in "fun" "events" on the shithole tourist trap known as Treasure Island
12/20: Team luncheons
12/21: Fanzone, Bowl game

Bowl Gifts
-Gift Suite
-Oakley Backpack
-An official Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl Neck Pillow (I poo poo you not)

Teams Competing
Temple Owls (6-6, 4-4) vs FIU Panthers (8-4, 5-3)
It has Butch Davis in it and it's FIU's second bowl game ever. Other than that who gives a poo poo, Temple is pretty terrible and FIU should win a laugher.

Anyway if somebody wants to post another one feel free, and happy bowling!

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alright boys, are you ready for some football?!?!?

ITS TIME FOR THE QUICKLANE BOWL

The Huskies of Northern Illinois are going to get on a bus to Detroit, Michigan, to face off against the powerhouse Duke Blue Devils!

They'll be playing at majestic Ford Field!

Bottomless strippers on the other side of the border! Which is good because Detroit's strippers are beat as hell. Not looking that up at work, just take my word for it.

This bowl is the spiritual successor of the Little Ceasar's Pizza Bowl. It first arrived in 2014, where 20k screaming fans watched Rutgers defeat the Tarheels.

Last year, 19k fans showed up to cheer for boston college beating Maryland.

This year, the expected turnout will be.....much less. Duke football isn't really known for existing.

SWAG

Honestly not that bad for such a poo poo bowl

quote:

Quick Lane Bowl: Duke vs. Northern Illinois
- $175 Best Buy gift card
- JBL bluetooth headphone
- life-sized Fathead decal for each participant of his likeness
- Ogio backpack and tag
- mini helmet
- hoodie
- workout shorts
- winter hat
- vintage football

You can buy gear!

In fact you can buy gear from past years, in case you forgot to get your CMU socks or whatever

http://www.detroitlions.com/quick-lane-bowl/qlb-merchandise.html

Fun Facts

- Last year, the player of the game was Boston College's entire defensive line.
- That's it. This is a miserable bowl that shouldn't be played.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i might go to the bad boy bowl

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I wish my lovely city had a bowl game. They tried but never scored. RIP Indy Bowl.

We are getting the championship game in 2022 for some reason though, it is a mystery. Probably some NCAA headquarters shenanigans.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 5, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Pinstripe Bowl

pictured: Pinstripe Bowl and/or Lower Manhattan

Come to the greatest city in America to watch ... Iowa play Boston College? Y'all need Jesus if this is what you're doing with your time. If you're going to be in New York City right after Christmas I recommending finding something else to do. Maybe take in the MoMA? Or become the purest form of hipster out in Williamsburg? Plenty of options.

The Pinstripe Bowl started in 2010, and plays in Yankee Stadium, up in the Bronx. Wow! Recent matchups have actually been pretty close games, including two OT thrillers. Get there by taking the B or D train to 161st St - Yankee Stadium, if you must.

GIFTS
The most important part of this is the gifts, of course, and New Era fails to make this compelling for the players! Just like the bowl itself. Players receive: A variety of New Era products

That's it.

:effort:

Welcome to New York, fuckers! Do something else!

Matchup

OK, fine, I'll get you the matchup.

You've got Iowa (7-5) and Boston College (7-5). Both rank near the bottom of the country in offense. Boston College has had a few outbursts, but Iowa did as well (lol), but I expect we won't see that much here. The defenses are way better than the offenses (they aren't great though)

• Locked thread