Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As someone from Central Florida, we have a lot of Caribbean immigrants.

How about a Jamaican patty with coco bread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

Gonna grab two this week, Jamaican Patty with Coco Bread, and because I for some reason think it's probably a beverage, Bile Up. Would LOVE some other folks to claim some and post.

Already know what the following are, so they are out for me:

Spotted Dick
Hot Dish
Whoopie Pie
Cincinnati Three-way

You’re from the Midwest, aren’t you?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If this is how we start off with a relatively benign food, I can't wait for the incomprehensible poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So those goat patties look better than real Jamaican patties.

A Jamaican patty is an empanada-esque turnover, typically stuffed with spiced ground beef. Coco bread is a white bread that includes coconut oil or coconut milk. They’re often paired together as a lunch meal.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 11, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's a picture of how the Jamaican patty and coco bread is supposed to turn out:

So you went pretty far from reality, but may have created something that should be added to authentic Jamaican cuisine immediately.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Depending on where you live (Florida and NYC seem to be the best choices because of the huge Caribbean diaspora), you can also find frozen Jamaican patties at the grocery store or Costco.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm guessing it's wurstsalat that was being attempted, in which case a recipe for the real thing is here. It's basically julienne sausage, pickles, onions, and optionally cheese seasoned with vinegar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh man, you're going to hate yourself when you find out what it is.

It's just a custard pie made with cornmeal (sometimes flavored with lemon, chocolate, or coconut) and nobody knows where it got its name.

quote:

The origin of the name chess pie is unknown, but many theories and folklore have been proposed. The term may have come from the term "pie chest," in which chess pies could be stored because of their high sugar content. Another guess is that it came from a pronunciation of "cheese pie," because the recipes of lemon chess pie and English lemon curd (cheese) are similar. Alternatively, it could have come from a pronunciation of "It's jes' pie" ("it's just pie").[2] Another proposal is that the pie was eaten in a room in which people would play chess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gann Jerrod posted:

So my thought process on university potatoes is that it would be a cheap, yet filling meal based around potatoes. So I combined potatoes with the staple cheap meal of universities, Kraft Mac and Cheese.

My recipe for university potatoes is basically a mac and cheese potato skin, and it turned out pretty good, if not the fanciest of meals.

I added some Parmesan cheese on top for the final broil, and it added a nice flavor to the whole thing. If I were to do this again I probably wouldn’t have salted the outside of the skin, as it was kind of a salt bomb all around. Considering that this was supposed to be a Japanese dish I guess I should have used instant ramen, but I don’t feel like it would have worked as well with the potato.

This thread is so fun. Here's some real university potatoes:

They're essentially candied sweet potatoes, deep fried and coated in a mix of sugar, honey, and soy sauce. They possibly got their name from being sold to poor Japanese university students in the early 20th century.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You actually got surprisingly close in appearance and ingredients to the real dish. It's called "fish-fragrance eggplant" because the preparation method mirrors the flavors of Sichuan fish dishes. Here's the actual ingredients list:

1 1/2 pounds Asian eggplant
2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock, or substitute water
2 tablespoons chili bean paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar, or substitute good-quality balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper, or substitute 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 19, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So a Let's Play thread recently featured a cocktail called the Electric Current Fizz. I'd like to challenge the thread to make up this cocktail. Meanwhile, I think I'll acquire some of the appropriate alcohol and the one ingredient I'm missing to see how the result is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you know what a gin fizz is, you're part of the way there but there's still a loooot more to go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made the actual Electric Current Fizz (well, combined in the way the game seems to specify).

Whatever you goons make will come out better, because it tasted exactly like vomit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are there any beverages on the list? It's hard to tell with just the weird names. I'm definitely down for trying to make cocktails.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Some fun cocktail names:

* Charles Dickens' Own Punch
* Between the Sheets
* Cement Mixer
* Washington Apple
* The Fitzgerald
* Glögg

I'm familiar with Glogg (I had some for Thanksgiving!) and a Cement Mixer. Dickens sounds like it could be a recipe of his for punch, so I think I'd take inspiration from Victorian-era wine or brandy punches.

The Fitzgerald could be neat. Sounds like a Prohibition-era cocktail.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made my version of the Fitzgerald. Once I finish typing this post up, I'll Google what the actual drink is.

In retrospect I'm pretty sure the drink is (like most cocktails) named after some random bartender or bar owner who came up with it and has nothing in common with my choice, but in lieu of any information I've decided to emulate F. Scott Fitzgerald. Being contemporary to the prohibition and famously writing a novel set in the time period, I chose gin as the main liquor. To evoke the green light of The Great Gatsby, I chose creme de menthe. This would do well with some green food coloring to better evoke the color, but I had none available.

My recipe was partly based on the Blue Ice Martini, which I found through a Google search of existing gin and creme de menthe recipes.

The recipe I settled on:

* 2 ounces of gin
* 1 teaspoon of creme de menthe
* 2 ounces of soda water

Without any green food coloring, I decided to get some of the color and increase the complexity of the drink by using a very nice bourbon barrel-finished gin from the St. Augustine Distillery. I just bought this last Saturday and I've been itching to try it out after sampling it in the store. Their regular gin is an excellent small batch gin made with a neat botanical mix (including some citrus, I think orange peel included because Florida), but the bourbon barrel gives it a fullness you don't normally get.

My initial attempt, which did not include soda water and used 2 teaspoons of creme de menthe. Not gonna lie, I came really close to vomiting as soon as I downed this shot. The mix of flavors (especially the mint) was incredibly strong and completely undrinkable, at least as a shot.

With the creme de menthe reduced to 1 teaspoon and another 2 ounces of soda water added to dilute the mixture, it comes out perfectly drinkable (and looks a little more green than brown). It helps to choose a strong gin, as it allows the botanical flavor and the mint to intermingle. The carbonation and dilution reduce the intensity of the alcohols very well. While I don't think this is my cup of tea, I can see some people really liking this.

Now, to look up what an actual Fitzgerald is....

....at least I got the gin right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made an actual Fitzgerald. It actually tastes decent? In the hands of a good bartender it would be a nice alternative to an Old Fashioned if you want something sour.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Beverage suggestions:

Prairie Fire
South Dakota Martini

For the Prairie Fire, I'd probably use whiskey as a base (since the name makes it sound like something from the Old West). Perhaps an Old Fashioned with a dash of Tabasco?

For the South Dakota Martini, it almost sounds like an ironic name about South Dakota being incredibly unsophisticated. Moonshine and lager shot?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lotta peeps w/ bad suggestion to execution ratios itt

that said, someone's gotta do torpedo juice

I'm making real torpedo juice for my MRE thread. I'm scared.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fizzymercy posted:

I call fish cock! That's the first one I didn't know outright, it's mine. I get the fish cock.

I'll be eating fish cock by Wednesday, I mean it.

I have actually eaten fish cock and I'm excited to see the interpretation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neofelis posted:

Alright, time to some more Finnish dishes. :finland:

Grave salmon, served with overly sweetened potato box
Robber roast
Fat gravy
Macaroni box

Fast food.
Atom
Hydrogen
A person from Pori

Things to eat with coffee (since we drink the most coffee per capita).
Slap on the ear
Bread cheese
Pepper cake

Is Finland...okay?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I will also be doing my own version of a Prairie Fire, and I have my own potentially dangerous spin on it: high proof grain alcohol, hot sauce, and strawberry soda water.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Culturally Ignorant Cuisine: The Prairie Fire is still on fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to check if the strawberry soda water I have at home is still good. If so, I'm going to make my own Prairie Fire before we learn the real recipe.

It's, uh, not going to be pleasant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prairie Fire of Doom

The Prairie Fire, in my mind, evokes two things: the harsh life out in the wilderness, and burning.

* 2 ounces of 190 proof alcohol
* 1 big drop/squirt of hot sauce
* Strawberry soda water to fill the glass

As you can see, this is indeed 95% ABV Everclear. As this is illegal to sell in my native Florida, I bought the bottle on a trip to New York City. It feels very, very cold when you spill a little on your hand.

I actually have a video for my reactions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSjeu-LUpw

Surprisingly, it's not as bad as I expected. Despite being equivalent to around 4 shots of whiskey in this glass, the soda water does such a good job concealing it that you could be forgiven for thinking this was non-alcoholic. Everclear is incredibly insidious in that way, and I can see bad things happening from it.

The hot sauce was perhaps a bridge too far. It doesn't really add spiciness in the amount I used (though admittedly it's not incredibly hot), but adds enough flavor to make this taste odd. Strawberry and hot sauce don't mix very well.

Amazingly, I actually got quite close to the real thing! It seems my big mistake was bothering to water it down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poop dood posted:

Either you guys don't understand that a major part of making drinks is chilling them or you're content drinking room-temp cocktails without ice, and I cannot decide which is weirder.

I didn't mention this, but the strawberry soda water I actually pulled straight out of the fridge so the drink was cool by the time I actually got to swigging it. That being said, a legit Prairie Fire is almost identical to my drink but without soda water and a higher proportion of hot sauce and I can't imagine that being on ice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

coq a vin is disgusting because it's made with roosters. the cook time is designed to make it edible, but it's still pretty disgusting
you see ancient recipes calling for 6, 10 hours cooks with rooster. lol at doing that with a hen

I've only had coq a vin once, at Balthazar in NYC. It was absolutely delicious and even had a distinctive red wine taste to the chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I don't know much about Denmark or Danish cuisine, but it was Valentine's Day recently and that made me think; what do people associate with Valentine's Day? Chocolate. The colour red. Drinking to escape the loneliness. Sure, all those things. So I think I've got a handle on what "burning love" might be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z17Vp78CgPA

You need to do all of your entries in this format now.

• Locked thread