Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ramie posted:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1773344206263578945

never knew this Uli person was a goddamn D&D start-up guy. feels like a parody of soy nazis

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1773360829426991245

Yasha gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I found it pretty interesting, Adam Tooze on German memory-culture as it pertains to enabling Israel's second-strike deterrence (ie nuclear submarines)

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-271-reasons-of-state-memory

Tooze posted:

Those submarines, designed, built and paid for in cooperation with Germany are Israel’s true security guarantee. They are what German politicians, at least those in the know, are gesturing towards when they say Israel’s security is German reason of state. Insofar as Germany has a “deep state” here it is - offshore, deniable collaboration in the development and building of Israel’s nuclear deterrent.

If we believe reports from Die Welt, Germany’s collaboration with Israel in securing its nuclear deterrent may go back to the early 1960s when credible sources suggest that after talks between Ben-Gurion and Konrad Adenauer, Germany agreed to help Israel pay for its nuclear program. Conservative politicians like Franz Joseph Strauss, who would have dearly liked for Germany to have its own atomic arsenal, dropped heavy hints about this cooperation. Israeli sources have done the same. There are line items in the balance sheets of the KfW that a ten-year credit of $500 million was provided on preferential terms for “industrial and infrastructure development in the Negev”, where the Dimona nuclear complex is located.

By the 1970s Israel was looking to develop a new fleet of submarines and turned to German designers.

The crucial point to make is that much as it seeks broad influence, Germany’s memory culture is in its standard form - Vergangenheitsbewältigung as a project - is a project of Germany’s educated elite, its self-appointed thought-leaders. In this sense the anachronistic resonances of “reason of state” were not misplaced. The commitment of Germany to Israel’s security, come what may, was a counter-majoritarian project, backed up by a commitment to policing and managing, not to say censoring, domestic German public opinion. This is an understanding shared on the cultural left, in Germany’s public intellectual and cultural scene. But it is is also true for the conservative culture warriors who head the upper echelons of the right-wing Axel Springer Verlag and the editorial cliques that run the Bild Zeitung, Germany’s biggest tabloid newspaper. When the militant head of Axel Springer, Mathias Döpfner, declares "Und natürlich: Zionismus über alles. Israel my country” - with the latter phrase expressed in English - he knows he is not speaking for a majority of Germans.

Fuligin has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Mar 28, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

Looking back, it's amazing that the Nazis fumbled the bag so hard that some of them faced Genocide charges. That's so hard to do when you're white.

Man, I was watching Conspiracy and looking up what happened to the real Wannsee Conference attendees, and not nearly enough of them got executed. The world went wayyyyyyyyyyy too easy on those fucks after the war.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Penisaurus Sex posted:

You can watch "The Laughing Man – Confessions of a Murderer" and very easily transpose Siegfried Müller talking about his atrocities in the Congo with Israeli settlers.

They come from a long lineage of European colonialists, that it seems normal to them is the way it would be.

He was also very drunk. It's a good documentary, though I don't remember his mentioning Israelis (not surprised if it was the case, but I don't remember).

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Retromancer posted:

Looking back, it's amazing that the Nazis fumbled the bag so hard that some of them faced Genocide charges. That's so hard to do when you're white.

they attacked other white people

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/us-tells-israel-it-need-not-close-bank-accounts-of-sanctioned-settlers/

quote:

The United States sent a letter to the Israeli Finance Ministry earlier this week informing Jerusalem that the sanctions imposed by the Biden administration earlier this year against violent settlers were not intended to compel Israeli banks to close the accounts of targeted individuals, an Israeli official tells The Times of Israel.

Several major banks took this step in order to avoid violating the sanctions, which the Biden administration began issuing earlier this year after determining that the Israeli government was systematically failing to clamp down on settler violence.

The sanctions infuriated Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich who characterized them as a draconian obstruction of Israeli sovereignty, and the far-right lawmaker threatened to take steps in his capacity as head of the treasury that would significantly impede the Palestinian economy, the Israeli official adds, confirming reporting in the Israel Hayom daily.

Ostensibly wary of such retaliatory actions, the US agreed to send a letter to the Finance Ministry clarifying that the sanctions were not intended to cut off those targeted from the entirety of their assets.

Rather, they should still be allowed to access their bank accounts for basic sustenance purposes. Purchases beyond this scope, including foreign transactions will remain barred, the letter clarified, giving Israeli banks the nod to partially re-open the accounts of the handful of settlers targeted, according to the Israeli official.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PawParole posted:

Jordan and Chad I don’t believe had genocides this century.

i went to highschool with those guys in the 90s and havent kept up

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lmao, biden cannot stomach the thought of inconveniencing a zionist israeli in any way

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

they attacked other white people

they lost a war against the USSR so hard half of Germany ended up Communist.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

do your nukes even work

probably

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

OH MY BAD posted:

im not a rereg- my old account was Your Weird Uncle but i got locked out cause its tied to an old email and its GBS cause i was in 9th grade. idk who you loving losers think i am but i assure you i am a lone psycho tilting against computer toucher windmills

dumb bitch. don't come back

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

PostNouveau posted:

Man, I was watching Conspiracy and looking up what happened to the real Wannsee Conference attendees, and not nearly enough of them got executed. The world went wayyyyyyyyyyy too easy on those fucks after the war.

That's such a good movie. Everyone should watch it. (great look at how genocides are planned!)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

probably a nothingburger but we could see an P/I and Ukraine thread convergence

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1773431404703158307

quote:

One week ago, China and Russia formalized an agreement with Yemen’s new govt to allow safe passage of their ships through the Red Sea.

Today, Russian warships entered the Red Sea —where US and UK warships are attacking Yemen.

History is accelerating.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-28/russian-warships-enter-crowded-red-sea-amid-houthi-attacks

quote:

Russian Navy Enters Warship-Crowded Red Sea Amid Houthi Attacks

Russian warships from the Pacific Fleet have crossed the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait and entered the Red Sea, the state-run Tass news agency said, venturing into a maritime region plagued by Houthi attacks and crowded with naval vessels.

The detachment included the missile cruiser Varyag and frigate Marshal Shaposhnikov, Tass reported Thursday, citing the Russian Pacific Fleet’s press service, which said the ships were carrying out “assigned tasks within the framework of the long-range sea campaign.” The ultimate destination of the ships was unclear from the report, as was the reason Russia sent vessels to the area.

For months, the Yemen-based Houthis have carried out a series of attacks on vessels in the Red Sea in retaliation for Israel’s military actions in Gaza, forcing many ships to redirect their journeys. The group told China and Russia earlier this month that their ships can sail through the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden without being attacked. In exchange, the two countries may provide political support to the Houthis in bodies such as the United Nations Security Council, according to several people with knowledge of the militant group’s discussions.
Houthi Attacks Near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait

The Iran-backed group's attacked multiple commercial and military ships in the southern Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since mid-November

Source: Bloomberg

The Houthis, an Islamist group, say they’re targeting ships linked to Israel, the US and UK. Yet, they appear to have mis-identified some vessels. Missiles exploded near a ship hauling Russian oil near Yemen in late January. It happened days after a spokesman for the Houthis told a Russian newspaper

that Russian and Chinese merchant ships needn’t fear attacks.

The Houthis also fired a missile at Chinese-owned oil tanker Huang Pu on Saturday, US Central Command said, highlighting continued risks to shipping in the seas off Yemen despite the agreement.

Read more: Houthi Ravaged Ship Was Caught Between Combat Drones and Pirates

Since the attacks started, most Western shipping firms have avoided the strait and are instead going around southern Africa. However, US and UK warships in the Red Sea have been hitting Houthi targets in Yemen for weeks in an attempt to deter the militant group from attacks on merchant vessels, while Iran, which supports the Houthis, has a spy ship just outside the Red Sea. A French ship is also nearby.

Earlier this month, Iran, Russia and China held joint naval exercises in the Indian Ocean, according to Russia’s Defense Ministry. Both the Varyag and Marshal Shaposhnikov took part in the drills, which Russia said were meant to practice “safety in maritime economic activities,” including liberating ships hijacked by pirates.

Russia has also sought a naval base on the Red Sea in Sudan, though a civil conflict in that country may put back those plans.

Vladimir Vladimirovich, those ships better carry a billion Kinzhals

double nine has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Mar 28, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's some of the most wishful thinking I've ever seen in a twitter thread.:allears:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

wild times if this actually happens. double whammy of getting drafted and getting your stipend cut

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Majorian posted:

That's some of the most wishful thinking I've ever seen in a twitter thread.:allears:

it absolutely rules

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

double nine posted:

it absolutely rules

Yeah I too wish it would happen.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah man lets keep saying nothing is going to happen

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Shageletic posted:

I was looking at the wiki article for the Rohingya genocide and there it was saying it was 1 million ppl displaced and 25k killed.

Is what is happening in Palesrine the worst atrocity of the 21st C? I'm looking at the numbers and swiftness of it and I'm starting to think yes.

Yemen is in a famine that's killed 400,000+, all while under blockade
The war in Ukraine has possibly been more deadly, but if so almost entirely of soldiers, if that makes a difference. 100,000-200,000 very tentatively.
Iraq of course is like 2 million deaths so that is pretty hard too beat

Just grabbing a few more from here, I only got up to 2009 so there's 15 more years you could look at.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars:_2003%E2%80%93present

2003 war in Darfur - 300,000
2009 onwards phase of the Somali civil war - 66,000
2009 boko haram insurgency - 350,000

Now I know you asked for atrocities but I'm of the opinion that a dead person is dead whether they died defending their home with a rifle in their hand or if they were gassed and both are atrocious. Like every Russian the nazis killed was the victim of a genocide.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah man lets keep saying nothing is going to happen

Something's gonna happen, just probably not that thing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
IRAN-BACKED

IRAN-BACKED

MUST BE IRAN

ALWAYS FIGHT IRAN

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

it's not that wishful, it'd be ww 3

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreylad posted:

wild times if this actually happens. double whammy of getting drafted and getting your stipend cut

I’m with the Haredi, studying the Torah seems like a far better use of time and money than murder and genocide.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's not that wishful, it'd be ww 3

Eh, not necessarily - a "confrontation" doesn't necessarily mean that they open fire.

It's not gonna be any sort of confrontation, though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

With the exception of Korea, have UN peacekeepers ever been fully thrown out of a country militarily?

Pretty sure Korea still has UN peacekeepers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Command#Post_Korean_War_(1953%E2%80%93present)

Actually a pretty interesting article

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Majorian posted:

Eh, not necessarily - a "confrontation" doesn't necessarily mean that they open fire.

It's not gonna be any sort of confrontation, though.

The best case scenario probably is those ships dock in yemen and a few instructors with military supplies fall off the boat with extremely accurate targeting data.

but it'd be surprising if even that happens

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

double nine posted:

The best case scenario probably is those ships dock in yemen and a few instructors with military supplies fall off the boat with extremely accurate targeting data.

but it'd be surprising if even that happens

That would rule.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

LyonsLions posted:

I’m with the Haredi, studying the Torah seems like a far better use of time and money than murder and genocide.

It's weird but they don't seem to be hurting anyone. All these other motherfuckers on the other hand...

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Mar 28, 2024

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

IRAN-BACKED

IRAN-BACKED

MUST BE IRAN

ALWAYS FIGHT IRAN

Can't wait for the US preemptively engages Iran-backed Russian warships headline

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1772999607175307631

https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1772956986990338344

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Love to see some of the most evil people in the world be mildly inconvenienced

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

Zodium posted:

they're right. find replace israeli with liberal here.

I guess what I'm taken aback by is their complete failure to lie to themselves about it. However delusional they might be or mercenary their motives, liberals nonetheless hold that they're ostensibly part of a grand civilizational project, even if it isn't reflected in their behavior. While this mask might constantly slip, they still put it on. Liberals repress their belief that they (and everyone else) are locked in a war of all against all, even as they act on that assumption. I'm probably letting personal sentiment guide me a bit too heavily here, but I find the complete refusal by Israelis to even attempt to hide what they're doing obscene in a way that you don't really see elsewhere. Even Rhodesia had the pretense of restoring some lost aristocratic order that represented the best of humanity. I'm honestly shocked that a country where this represents normal public sentiment hasn't broken down entirely.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

maybe Russia is bringing them weapons. What is the West gonna do double special sanction them. Good time to get some live testing vs the US navy

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

With the exception of Korea, have UN peacekeepers ever been fully thrown out of a country militarily?

Nothing at that scale. Sort of what is happening to the current mission in the Congo though, but they only lost a few dozen before they decided to pull out.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Just a quick sanity check: does anyone else get an error message when opening the Israeli Democracy Institute website? https://en.idi.org.il/ I was trying to find some info on current Israeli opinion on Gaza and have used it fine in the past. Wondering if I should be paranoid.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
today is the fifth day in a row jordanians are protesting in front of the embassy

https://x.com/AJA_Palestine/status/1773466783745208698?s=20

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

has literally every country near egypt had a genocide this century?

My self proclaimed republic in Bir Tawil is the safest country in the region.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ramie posted:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1773344206263578945

never knew this Uli person was a goddamn D&D start-up guy. feels like a parody of soy nazis

ran into one of these guys a while back. asked him if in the games he played, the people running weapons to the faction committing a genocide, while saying "look it's complicated" to anyone who objected, were the good guys or the bad guys.

he blocked me in response, which I take as mildly encouraging

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

maybe Russia is bringing them weapons. What is the West gonna do double special sanction them. Good time to get some live testing vs the US navy

Russia should give AnsarAllah a nice new set of S-300/400 launchers and radars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Fuligin posted:

"Und natürlich: Zionismus über alles. Israel my country” -

Dual loyalty is an antisemitic trope