Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

during this planned mass slaughter of civilians there's a real prospect of the IDF finding the israeli captives and executing them without even the plausible deniability offered to them by the western media the last time that happened publicly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

uphold paul_soccer12 thought

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
It is against the forum rules to wish death upon the entire Schutzstaffel unit

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

GoodluckJonathan posted:

When I see stuff like this I try to think of something funny to say, but after about 5 seconds the hypocrisy and callousness makes something in my brain snap. All I can imagine is caps lock ranting and raving at the depravity.

Then I go back to reading this thread.

I usually imagine something non-verbal but incredibly funny, like them slipping on a banana peel

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Sancho Banana posted:

Oh nevermind, it's probably real since the US president is this loving guy, I forgot. Jesus christ

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1780833985091788851?t=nkR4YkbMEBgo1ByY0zurSg&s=19

the clothes have no emperor

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

free paul soccer

free palestine

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

samogonka posted:

the clothes have no emperor

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/17/world/middleeast/iran-israel-attack.html

Miscalculation Led to Escalation in Clash Between Israel and Iran
By Ronen Bergman, Farnaz Fassihi, Eric Schmitt, Adam Entous and Richard Pérez-Peña
Ronen Bergman reported from Tel Aviv, Farnaz Fassihi and Richard Pérez-Peña from New York, and Eric Schmitt and Adam Entous from Washington.
April 17, 2024
Updated 10:27 p.m. ET

Israel was mere moments away from an airstrike on April 1 that killed several senior Iranian commanders at Iran’s embassy complex in Syria when it told the United States what was about to happen.

Israel’s closest ally had just been caught off guard.

Aides quickly alerted Jake Sullivan, President Biden’s national security adviser; Jon Finer, the deputy national security adviser; Brett McGurk, Mr. Biden’s Middle East coordinator; and others, who saw that the strike could have serious consequences, a U.S. official said. Publicly, U.S. officials voiced support for Israel, but privately, they expressed anger that it would take such aggressive action against Iran without consulting Washington.

The Israelis had badly miscalculated, thinking that Iran would not react strongly, according to multiple American officials who were involved in high-level discussions after the attack, a view shared by a senior Israeli official. On Saturday, Iran launched a retaliatory barrage of more than 300 drones and missiles at Israel, an unexpectedly large-scale response, if one that did minimal damage.

The events made clear that the unwritten rules of engagement in the long-simmering conflict between Israel and Iran have changed drastically in recent months, making it harder than ever for each side to gauge the other’s intentions and reactions.

Since the Oct. 7 attack on Israel by Hamas, an Iranian ally, and Israel’s subsequent bombardment of the Gaza Strip, there has been escalation after escalation and miscalculation after miscalculation, raising fears of a retribution cycle that could potentially become an all-out war.

Even after it became clear that Iran would retaliate, U.S. and Israeli officials initially thought the scale of the response would be fairly limited, before scrambling to revise their assessment again and again. Now the focus is on what Israel will do next — and how Iran might respond.

“We are in a situation where basically everybody can claim victory,” said Ali Vaez, the Iran director of the International Crisis Group. “Iran can say that it took revenge, Israel can say it defeated the Iranian attack and the United States can say it successfully deterred Iran and defended Israel.”

But Mr. Vaez said: “If we get into another round of tit for tat, it can easily spiral out of control, not just for Iran and Israel, but for the rest of the region and the entire world.”

This account of these tense weeks is gleaned from interviews with U.S. officials, as well as officials from Israel, Iran and other Middle Eastern states. All of them spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters they were not authorized to reveal publicly...

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

:psyduck:

What the gently caress kind of deal..? Israel instigated one thing, it's not a compromise for them to do the other thing they want to do.

Israel said unlikely to respond to Iran before end of Passover * US leads 48 countries at UN in condemning Iranian attack * G7 finance chiefs pledge close coordination on Tehran sanctions

Egyptian officials tell a Qatari outlet that the US has accepted Israel’s plan for an operation in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, in return for not carrying out a large strike in Iran in response to Tehran’s unprecedented missile and drone attack.

“The American administration showed acceptance of the plan previously presented by the occupation government regarding the military operation in Rafah, in exchange for not carrying out a large-scale attack against Iran,” an unnamed official tells Al-Araby Al-Jadeed.

The Egyptian officials tells the outlet that preparations are underway so that Egypt can deal with any possible impact of the planned operation.

Four Hamas battalions are believed to be stationed in Rafah along with over a million civilians sheltering there after fleeing fighting in other parts of the Strip. Rafah is also thought to be where Hamas leaders are hidden, possibly along with Israeli hostages.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has several times claimed to have approved plans for a Rafah operation and more recently said that a date has been decided for the launch.

Even if Biden agreed to this, wouldn't they never want it to ever see the light of day that they did?

If this is true, even by the standards of the Biden admin, this is egregiously loving stupid.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the rafa offensive is basically moving an army guns blazing into a refugee camp made up of tents to murder as many people as possible and push the survivors over the border into egypt

will the egyptian security forces gun down those trying to climb the fence? of course, but i wonder if the idf have orders to shoot the egyptians to help facilitate the border spill over

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
here's why this latest genocide is Iran's fault

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
guys im about to challenge myself and listen to 15 minutes of Alistair campbell and rory stewarts podcast on the iran strikes, god help me.

if im not back, it means my soul has left my body, i lleave nothing to any of you.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
'if we can't burn the world might as well shoot a bunch of women and kids.'

everyone in the idf and the knesset deserves to die.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Sydin posted:

I say again: there is no hell hot enough, no punishment worse enough, no judgement harsh enough.

paul_soccer12 posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

paul_soccer12 posted:

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
We need holographic bomber Harris. Only he has the power to prevent Israel from ever threatening world peace again.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

guys im about to challenge myself and listen to 15 minutes of Alistair campbell and rory stewarts podcast on the iran strikes, god help me.

if im not back, it means my soul has left my body, i lleave nothing to any of you.

i’m sure one of the architects for the iraq war and the literal provincial governor in iraq will have good opinions

it’s an aside but i remember how the bbc kept saying how good it is that the british armed forces are controlling basra, thanks to our experience in doing a great job in northern ireland….

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

boo boo bear posted:

'if we can't burn the world might as well shoot a bunch of women and kids.'

everyone in the idf and the knesset deserves to die.

future generations are gonna wish everyone in the First World killed themselves

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

only adding further stresses against their own interests

like, Iran is part of belt and road. Xi turns the big red Mao Zedong dial 5% and watch Iran's economy turbocharge

Iran's economy is probably one of the easiest in the world to fix and put up incredible growth numbers which its population would feel in their daily lives immediately.

All the fundamentals are there: they got a large, well-educated population, they have industry and resources, they have proximity to potentially very large trade partners, and they have direct access to some of the world's most vital shipping lanes.

The only reason their economy sucks the way it does is US sanctions.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah, RIP.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
al-saqr said I could have his space marines

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's not "US sanctions" when the whole G7 is getting in on it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

everything in the G7 is part of the US

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes it is.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Hold on let me look up the completely independent foreign policy of uhh Japan, wait no Italy, wait no Canada, wait no Germany, wait no the UK lol and furthermore lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

America made us do a genocide! :qq:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sancho Banana posted:

Oh nevermind, it's probably real since the US president is this loving guy, I forgot. Jesus christ

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1780833985091788851?t=nkR4YkbMEBgo1ByY0zurSg&s=19

well, there are lots of Palestinians in haifa. I wouldn't rule out an eventful military operation against them as well

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

jfc d2i&a

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1780785624670248971
lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
- Israel wants to bomb and invade Rafah
- the USA, in some vague fashion, makes some mild indications that that might be going a tad too far
- Israel bombs an Iranian embassy in a stunning escalation
- Iran retaliates against Israel
- Israel wants to "retaliate" against Iran's strike ...
- ... and the USA seizes upon this opportunity to give Israel the all clear to bomb and invade Rafah, "in exchange" for not "retaliating" against Iran
- even though it was Israel that began the sequence by bombing Iran's embassy

it's almost as though there was never any real appetite for restraining Israel from bombing and invading Rafah and they were just looking for a convenient excuse!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what if instead... we let you meet Ronald McDonald

HazCat
May 4, 2009

crepeface posted:

what if instead... we let you meet Ronald McDonald

Maybe they should try offering him some Levi's and bananas, at least that has a track record of working at least once.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

With all these bleak news. It’s these little wins that remind me how our efforts, really are working.

https://x.com/qudsnen/status/1780900321943855333?s=46

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

- Israel wants to bomb and invade Rafah
- the USA, in some vague fashion, makes some mild indications that that might be going a tad too far
- Israel bombs an Iranian embassy in a stunning escalation
- Iran retaliates against Israel
- Israel wants to "retaliate" against Iran's strike ...
- ... and the USA seizes upon this opportunity to give Israel the all clear to bomb and invade Rafah, "in exchange" for not "retaliating" against Iran
- even though it was Israel that began the sequence by bombing Iran's embassy

it's almost as though there was never any real appetite for restraining Israel from bombing and invading Rafah and they were just looking for a convenient excuse!

Joe is going to campaign on "Preventing a major, disastrous war between Israel and Iran" lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm back, the podcast was much much more boring than I was expecting from someone who helped kill a million iraqis, not worth the 15 minutes I spent on it. it's two evil british liberals whimpering and simpering.

Also, apparently the Israelis arent responding to Iran yet because they are legitimately spooked by how forceful and accurate the Iranian strike was even if it was telegraphed.

=====

‎Sources for the New York Times: Israelis miscalculated by believing that Iran will not respond strongly‎
‎The New York Times quoted U.S. and Israeli officials as saying the Israelis miscalculated that Iran would not respond forcefully.‎

‎The officials said the miscalculation had led to an escalation of the conflict between Israel and Iran.‎

‎The sources said that the United States was surprised by the decision of the Israeli strike on the Iranian consulate in Damascus, and although American officials declared their support for Israel, they privately expressed their anger at the decision without consulting Washington.‎

‎In contrast, Israeli officials told the American newspaper that planning for the strike in Damascus began two months ago and that Iranian Revolutionary Guard officer ‎‎Mohammad Reza Zahedi‎‎ was the target according to defense records, and explained that the war council approved the strike on March 22 and there were no predictions of the ferocity of the Iranian response.‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%A7%D8%B7%D9%82

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

HazCat posted:

Maybe they should try offering him some Levi's and bananas, at least that has a track record of working at least once.

What is this a reference to? I tried to look it up but all I got was this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sp_3n36Bjs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Alchemist posted:

What is this a reference to? I tried to look it up but all I got was this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sp_3n36Bjs

it's a reference to East Germany (and the other Warsaw Pact countries) essentially deciding to end the guaranteed housing, guaranteed employment, guaranteed healthcare, and so on and so on, provided by their communist regimes, for the promise of Levi's and bananas (i.e. global international capitalist trade goods)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Alchemist posted:

“I was very engaged and fighting for a new form of society. So I was disappointed when the crowds began shouting we are one people. It only meant they wanted to eat the bananas of the West.”