Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I always thought of Israel as being this on the ball, super well-organised nation. Has the Israeli state actually been decaying right under our noses and this is the first evidence of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

the d&d thread lol. Lots of yanks waking up and getting very shocked and angry indeed about actions that they'd wholeheartedly support if they were being carried out by Ukrainians rather than Palestinians.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lots of dudes with Ukraine flags in their Twitter bios clutching their pearls at the heinous sight of a people resisting their oppressors.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The d&d thread is gross as gently caress and I'm not going to look at it any more.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Crazy that Israel's flying planes over and bombing Gaza but hasn't even reached it with ground troops yet. They've really put all their military eggs into the airpower basket, haven't they.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

i say swears online posted:

honestly possible that the attack was so secret hezbollah also had no idea. by the time they mobilized, the border was much more secure than it had been. the border is like 20 miles, pretty easy to turn it into a death trap

Yeah, I get the impression that Hezbollah was also taken by surprise by the sudden attack. They're their own organisation, with their own interests and they're not just going to start fighting Israel 'cos Hamas has pulled the trigger: they'll do it at a time of their own choosing.

Hamas failing to or being unable to co-ordinate with other regional groups looks like the biggest mistake they've made in this plan.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just reviewing the western news reporting on all this and it's strikingly similar to how Ukraine's been reported on: lots and lots of generalised outrage and reporting on specific incidents; strangely useless for getting any sort of understanding of the basic situation on the ground right now. There are also glaring omissions in the reporting: for example, there's a complete absence of any discussion of the implications of the fact that Israel still hasn't been able to secure the border with Gaza, days after all this began.

I dunno what my point is.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Frosted Flake (or any other military goons): are there any publicly available sources where this is being discussed by actual military experts, without all the shrieking and wailing?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NoModsNoMasters69 posted:

You guys might think this is hyperbole, but my mom's an Israeli and she also called it that. They've all lost their minds over there.

Psychologically, it must be an absolutely tremendous shock for Israelis: they've previously taken as a given that they set the terms of the conflict, that the massive Israeli military complex is always there to shield them and that the Palestinians are weak and incompetent Others who need to be ground down but not particularly feared.

Furious, armed Palestinians just bursting into their comfy Settler homes and the IDF being nowhere to save them is literally the stuff of nightmares for them and yet, it's just happened.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

VoicesCanBe posted:

I legit think they're lashing out aimlessly. The IDF feels humiliated so they're gonna kill and destroy as much as they possibly can.

Yeah, the most hi-tech armed force in the Middle East has just been clowned on by a bunch of dudes with motorbikes and AK's and they're desperately trying to reassert their reputation as the biggest, baddest, most organised guys in town. They consider that their reputation is a vital factor in deterring attack, so being so openly shown up is panic-inducing for them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

HallelujahLee posted:

one of the fatah leaders got killed today

Al Mayadeen's correspondent: The leader of the Fatah movement, Ibrahim Al-Wadi, and his son were killed in settler attacks in Qusra today.

west bank seems to be getting alot worse settler attacks everywhere

The West Bank Palestinian tactic of trying to work with the Israelis really paying off for them, huh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Josef bugman posted:

Where is this happening? No one I know seems to be blood lusting.

Yeah, there's a political and media class who have gone completely insane over this, then there's the great mass of ordinary people who are just like: "Oh yeah, it's kicking off again in the ME, isn't it? Bad business."

TV presenters and Twitter freaks are hardly representative of the broader population.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I genuinely don't know to what extent they're being real with this stuff and to what extent it's all just performative. Doesn't really matter, I guess.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zoeb posted:

That's what I think of when the neoliberal establishment starts talking about "controlling the spread of misinformation" or "Russian bots." It is absolutely true that there is abundant misinformation, fascist conspiracy theories, perhaps, even people from countries, like Russia, that aren't the United States with different core assumptions that go against the party line. *gasp* The misinformation they want to suppress is not so much misinformation but information that goes against their paradigm, only some of which truly is misinformation. I find fact checkers to be overly literal and occasionally dispute things that have evidence in favor of them, like that some Ukrainian soldiers wear Nazi stuff.

Yeah, the establishment used to be able to disseminate their opinions unchallenged; now you can hop straight onto Twitter and tell them to their faces that their opinions suck and they're an idiot and it always makes them so loving mad lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
From the Time's resident dipshit, Hadley Freeman:

The Times posted:

Unspeakable slaughter, but I’ve seen nobody flying an Israel flag

When Russia invaded Ukraine last year, the schools near me put Ukraine flags in their windows. When George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis two years earlier, Black Lives Matter posters appeared overnight all over my north London neighbourhood. Because that’s the kind of caring, sharing milieu in which I live, full of politically aware good liberals.

So do you know how many Israeli flags I’ve seen in the week since Hamas kidnapped, raped and slaughtered over a thousand Jews in Israel, from geriatric Holocaust survivors to tiny babies? That’s right: nada, zip, none.

On the contrary, several north London Jewish schools have closed out of concern for the children’s safety. My children’s Hebrew school is, for the moment, still open, but it has been sending regular updates about security measures it is taking — on top of the ones it normally takes. “Well, now we know who would have helped us, and who would have pushed us onto the trains,” a friend texted me.

I generally recoil from Second World War comparisons, but I couldn’t deny this one. After all, Hamas’s founding charter calls for a Jewish genocide and accuses Jews of being behind the French Revolution, the freemasons and the UN. It is indistinguishable from Nazi ideology. And when Hamas terrorists committed pogroms last week of the kind we thought died out with our ancestors in eastern Europe a century ago, so many good caring, sharing people decided that the right response was to say Israel had brought this on itself. This is not “Jews don’t count”, to use David Baddiel’s memorable book title. This is flat-out “Jews deserve it”.

Six days after 9/11, Peter Wilby, then editor of the New Statesman and now a convicted sex offender, wrote an editorial. Were the bond traders killed in the attacks innocent, he asked. “Yes and no,” he decided. No because “they preferred George Bush to Al Gore and both to Ralph Nader”. At the time, this was seen as pretty punchy stuff, and Wilby later conceded he had been “deliberately provocative”. But it turns out he was just ahead of his time.

Are the Israelis innocent here? Are the Jews? Yes and no, seems to be the general answer. It’s very sad but look at the “context”, some say, which sounds pretty indistinguishable from something I call “justification”. It’s very sad but it’s complicated, say the more nervous ones, stroking the Ukraine flag emoji on their social media handle for reassurance that they’re a good person. Oh but we mustn’t take sides, says the BBC, explaining its refusal to describe Hamas as terrorists. Things have come to a pretty pass when the BBC will use female pronouns for the rapist Adam “Isla” Bryson, in accordance with the rapist’s wishes — which seems to me to be taking the rapist’s side — but won’t use the word “terrorist” about a group that burnt babies last week. Well, the babies probably deserved it because, um, Israel? Never mind that those babies were in kibbutzim nowhere near the occupied West Bank. Their mere existence in Israel means they asked for it. It’s sad. But.

One thing I’ll say about the past week is it’s been clarifying. Many liberal Jews like me have spent years emphasising that of course we know Israel and in particular the present Israeli government have done terrible things to the Palestinians. Worse than what Hamas has done, such as slaughtering Israelis and exploiting Palestinians? Mmm, debatable. But we thought that by acknowledging this we were proving we were reasonable people who hoped for the reasonable idea of a Jewish state alongside a Palestinian one. Palestinians cannot live as subjugated citizens, and what is happening in Gaza now is an overwhelming tragedy. But Jews need a homeland, as the events of last week proved, and they cannot live alongside people set on destroying them. This, we thought, most people understood.

But it turns out many who march for a free Palestine believe, as Hamas believes, that Israel shouldn’t exist at all. They see Israelis as “colonisers and settlers”. But do you know why they had to settle there? Because they had nowhere to go after the Holocaust achieved what centuries of persecution had failed to do and wiped out most of Europe’s Jews. Many, like my Polish family, couldn’t go back to their home country because there was still — even after the fall of Nazism — Jew-hatred and pogroms there. So they went to Israel. This is the context: the Jews are there because they needed somewhere safe to live, and now their grandchildren are being killed for it. It’s striking how many of the same people who talk about the Tories’ cruelty to refugees speak so scornfully of Israelis as “settlers”.

Words are violence, certain factions on the left insist. But actual violence is totally fine when it’s directed at Israeli Jews. Or maybe Jews in general, given how no one in this country seems to think it strange that Jewish schools and synagogues require extra security to keep them safe. Well, no one but the Jews.
On Monday I went to the Jewish Vigil for Israel opposite Downing Street. It was nice, but it was also strange, because everyone I could see there was clearly Jewish: the men wore kippahs and tallits, and everybody knew the words to Hatikvah, Israel’s national anthem. Across town a pro-Palestinian rally was happening. I looked at the photos in the papers in the next day and was struck by what a mixed crowd it was. Young Muslims, older white people, everyone marching together in defence of — what? Pogroms? Meanwhile, the Jews just had themselves. Now we know.

Most UK broadcasters and journalists understand that they need to imply that Israel has overwhelming support in the UK, except from the usual marginalised Leftie and Muslim suspects. Hadley, being utterly dumb, doesn't get this and has indignantly pointed out the overwhelming indifference that most UK people have met the Hamas attack with, with much more sympathy being shown to the Palestinians. She's also a massive terf and can't resist dragging in a completely irrelevant snipe about trans prisoners being given female pronouns.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Links in with that thing I just posted: among elites, it's more mandatory than ever to be ferociously pro-Israel; at the same time, ordinary people are increasingly disengaged or even hostile towards the Israeli state. I'm sure it will all end well!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What can the US really do with the assets they've got in the area? Sure, they can do air support, but doesn't Israel basically have that covered already? It's not like they can drive the carriers into Gaza like giant land tanks.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm noticing that Gaza remains very much uninvaded, 10 days after all this kicked off. IDF clearly badly unprepared for the sort of situation that you'd kind of expect them to be prepared for? I mean, it's not like they've got to haul men and equipment across thousands of miles: Israel-Palestine's a teeny little place and there's plenty of good roads already.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I guess there's a cultural thing, too? You can't go from being a pathologically casualty-averse army to one that's prepared to accept heavy losses in exchange for a decisive victory just like that, I guess.

Perhaps the delay's due to their Health and Safety guys filling in Risk Assessment forms for any potential Gaza operations: got to be a lot of slip and trip hazards in those mountains of rubble.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Israel was massively fractured before this kicked off and none of those disagreements have been resolved, must be a poo poo-ton of infighting going on behind the facade of unity right now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Thoguh posted:

He’s going to show them that he is aware that they are in charge.

Sounds like events are moving too fast now. Wouldn't surprise me if the plane ends up turning round mid-flight.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Al-Saqr posted:

this is whats really wierding me out, america is cashing and burning all of its chips and reputation right now and i have no idea to what end other than they want a catastrophic regional war, i cant think of any reason why theyre doing this other than its their last and final chance at a confrontation with iran before they become a nuclear state

Yeah, it's really striking me as deranged imperial hubris, like they've genuinely got no concept of how this comes across to the rest of the world.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Noting that the ground invasion of Gaza remains very much NOT underway.

Lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Al! posted:

im getting the sense that i thought the media was better at manuafcturing consent but now i realize that i was a teenager during the runup to the iraq war and all of the boomers wanted it to happen

Back then you had newspapers (including online) but social media hadn't taken off yet, so it was a different media environment. It's all shoved in your face much harder now.

Also, there seems to be quite a strange divide opening up between the Establishment of politicians, press and hangers-on, who are frothingly pro-Israel and ordinary people, who are much more detached, or pro-Palestine. I don't remember that divide being there in 2003.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Asked the same thing a few days back, but links to any analysis done by proper military people would be appreciated. The stuff that gets published in academic journals etc, not pieces intended for the general public. The 'For internal consumption only' articles can be more honest about what's going on.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Would be particularly interested in any analysis on whether the delay in invading Gaza is down to it just taking a while to organise that sort of thing, or whether the IDF genuinely doubts that they're capable of doing it successfully.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

CODChimera posted:

so is there still going to be a ground invasion? feels like the longer its delayed the more time there is so talk them out of it...

The US/ Israel needs more time to come to terms with the fact that the genie is out of the bottle and there's no returning to the pre October 7th status quo, no matter how hard they want it to be.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Israelis all seem to hate each other so much it's kinda surprising their country has lasted as long as it has.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Sancho Banana posted:

The excuse going around right now is that the families of the victims asked them not to release it. I guess those families are ok with a bunch of journalists and politicians being invited to a big screening party of it though.

It's fortunate that the journalists invited to view this film are all credulous dipshits. Otherwise, they might ask the question why is it that only credulous dipshits are being invited to view the film?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Remember Thomas Friedman being given a 5 star trip to Saudi Arabia and coming back and writing about how MBS was the modernising monarch who was bringing a westernised Saudi Arabia into the 21st century? Lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Interesting article by a Uk Times columnist. Like most opinion columnists, Hugo Rifkind is cynical and shameless (you can see him pretending that he's got absolutely no idea why people might want to rip down posters of kidnapped Israelis right there in the article), but even he's showing a glimmer of unease about what the long term consequences for the UK's Jewish population might be of the UK governments full-throated approval of the massacre of Palestinians and their angry threats to shut down any and all opposition to it (article is paywalled):

The Times posted:

British Jews should beware illiberal allies

A crackdown on pro-Palestinian protests, even if designed to curb hateful extremes, could trigger more antisemitism

Those posters. I can’t stop thinking about them. They show Israelis who were kidnapped by Hamas on October 7, and they’ve been stuck on walls and lampposts across the world, and almost every time, it seems, they’ve been defaced or ripped down. Videos of people doing this — proudly, self-righteously — are all across social media. Repeatedly, I have sat at my desk to plot a column about Israel and Gaza, and every time it has been with these posters that I wanted to begin. And then, every time, I have chickened out and written about something else.

Why have I chickened out? I think, if you’ll forgive the introspection, it’s because it all just matters too drat much. Some topics a columnist can skate over, perhaps pirouetting. This one weighs me down, like lead. What I feel, I suppose, is the dilemma of any British Jew, caught between the need to scream and the yellow desire not to shriek too soon. This past week, though, it wasn’t just the posters. It was the vandalisation of a London Holocaust library. It was unambiguous Jew-hate at demonstrations and fresh graffiti in the toilets of my children’s school. So if it was ever too soon, it surely isn’t now.

Let’s go back, all the same, to those posters. Some people, I’ve concluded, simply find them unbearable. Literally, they cannot bear that they exist. Because it must be hard, I suppose, to consider yourself on the side of the angels and then to face a poster of a kidnapped child. It’s an affront; incompatible with moral certainty. And the strange, uncomfortable thing is that although I would obviously never rip down a poster, I can imagine how that feels. For I, these last few weeks, have seen other images which did that to me. Every day. Probably you have too.

Conceptually, if not actually, the western pro-Palestinian cause has always been ripping down posters. In 2016, the columnist Jonathan Freedland made an early case about Jeremy Corbyn’s blindspots. “Utterly disgusting subliminal nastiness,” was Corbyn’s response. The truth, again, was unbearable. Among marchers today you will find similar denial; denial about Hamas, denial about chants and banners, denial about the likely fate of Israel’s Jews if barriers and borders were abruptly to dissolve.

Yet there are things, also, that the other side prefers not to dwell upon. No, let’s not be coy; not “the other side”. My side. For example, Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer have both called for a “two-state solution”. Yet Binyamin Netanyahu himself has never appeared to want one and certainly doesn’t now. He’s no outlier. Other Israeli figures, including Tzipi Hotovely, the ambassador to the UK, have advocated for a future with no Palestinian homeland at all. And while it’s true that Israel is the only real democracy in the Middle East, it’s also true that the country has seen months of protest against a government hellbent on turning it into less of one.

That’s before we even come to the rubble, the deaths, the kids on stretchers. Now there’s that too. Two days ago, an Israeli minister suggested hitting Gaza with a nuclear bomb. Its people, he said, should “go to Ireland or deserts”. He’s been suspended, not even fired.
I mention all this not to make some grotesque point of equivalence. Come on. There has never been a terrorist attack so foul as the one committed by Hamas. The Chief Rabbi, I thought, was unassailable in his horror that people “seem to have lost sight of the moral distance” between the group and Israel. Did every marcher, he wondered, “truly wish to associate themselves with acts of such barbarity? I sincerely hope that they did not.”

No such hope, though, was offered by Suella Braverman, our home secretary. “To my mind,” she said, “there is only one way to describe those marches: they are hate marches.” No space there even for the excuse of ignorance. Certainly no space for the idea that some protesters, even just a handful, might be motivated by some of that stuff up above. Braverman is no fan of protest and probably thought British Jews would be grateful. I expect many were. To my mind, though, people have the right to march against falling bombs, no matter who is dropping them. And I cannot suppress my horror at the idea of the Jewish community being used as a pretext for taking this right away.

Bubbling under the surface, I also sense a mustering argument that these protests are not just inherently antisemitic, but also anti-British. You can feel it in the fuss about whether one should be allowed to disrupt Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph, no matter that it is actually happening on Saturday and somewhere else. Or, consider the keen opponent of all things multicultural that is the Kent academic Matthew Goodwin. A controversial march, he tweeted, should go ahead. “Let people see ... how the toxic combination of mass migration & woke identity politics is weakening our nation. Only then will they grasp how broken we really are.” Is it wrong to detect relish in there? A sweaty wish for tensions to actually snap? What will life be like for British Jews if they do?

This may be a cowardly column. That worries me, and I’m no more comfortable finishing it than I was when I began. I can see a future, though, where British Jews are not just held responsible, obscenely, for the unpopular actions of the Israeli government, but also for those of this one. And, while the likes of Braverman and Goodwin may fervently believe they have our backs, it strikes me British Jews actually have a lot more to lose from their sort of illiberal brinksmanship than we do to gain. We are a minority community. Liberalism and multiculturalism are the necessary facts of our existence. And once the bombs stop, whatever happens in Gaza, we will still be here. Don’t make that unbearable too.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-jews-should-beware-illiberal-allies-wsbzpmtww

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Popoto posted:

I’ve always said since the beginning that the main takeaway of this from every big western state in the future isn’t going to be “how can we do less genocide” but “how can we control the online narrative better” and I would not be surprised to see a clamp down on the way information spread, or a least an attempt.

Yeah, you can see how opposition has been driven through the alternative media. In the UK, the mainstream media has slavishly stuck to the mainstream framing that it's all very sad, but ultimately this is happening 'cos of those darn unruly Palestinians being violent again and Israel has a right to defend itself.

Meanwhile on TikTok, there's users with names like Dizzy and Mangafan posting passionate deep dives into the whole sorry mess and getting literally millions of views from their millions of subscribers. There's this whole alternative ecosystem of news and current affairs that's developed; younger people increasingly get their info from there and the legacy media, who are only vaguely aware that this alternative even exists, are struggling to deal with it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Al-Saqr posted:

Ehud Barak says that Israel only has a couple weeks left to defeat Hamas or they're screwed, along with other stupid israeli fantasies such has having a multi-national arab force to manage gaza (it wont happen)

Israel should just surrender to Hamas now because they're not gonna win.

loving lol. "Our many friends in the Arab world will surely take on this godawful situation that we've created, 'cos how else are we going to extract ourselves from this mess?"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Depends on the state Hamas is in right now, I guess. I can't see them going for anything like a cease-fire and return to the status quo unless they're genuinely so battered and dispersed that they'll desperately grasp at any straw for a chance of survival. If however their tunnels and bunkers have kept their weapons, provisions and command structure largely intact, then why on earth would they stop fighting now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Israeli civilians murdered by evil Palestinian terrorists!"

"Hamas-controlled health ministry claims multiple casualties after alleged 'blast' in refugee camp."

See, I can be an establishment journalist too! I'll start on a salary of £110,000, thank you very much :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

To the thread generally, is there any online resource that's trying to keep track of the overall action and losses in this war? The mainstream media just gives incredibly vague and generic info like: "Tanks in action around Gaza City", "More explosions reported in refugee camp" and on Twitter you get stuff like: "Here's a cool vid of an armoured vehicle getting blown up".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

30.5 Days posted:

one of the ways in which Britain is funny is that the Tories inexplicably do the democrat "what are you going to do vote for the other guys?" thing to cops and treat them like poo poo for no clear reason. Theresa may was particularly well known for this

The Tories are certainly receptive to the concept of fascism, but are far too lazy, snobbish and complacent to actually do it. If you want a brutal, authoritarian state, a prerequisite for that is a very large, well-resourced, well-paid police force that's motivated to back the ruling party and the Tories are just too greedy and short-sighted to fund it. So you get the language of fascism from them but they've not got the levers to make anything actually happen.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's so grim that all this is happening because Israel and the West can't admit that the concept of 'security without peace' is dead and are murdering Palestinians as a frantic displacement activity to avoid thinking about what comes next.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Having a Home Secretary deliberately encouraging violent disorder on the streets of London was too much even for the Tories, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Raccooon posted:

Why don’t they just have their soldiers jerk off before they go into battle?

Every soldier wears dog tags and a little vial of cum.