Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

paul_soccer10 posted:

MOd approved Toxxing allowed: how long you think until the IDF does this again to gaza for no reason?

which i think still looks like this because the red cross stole all the money or something
probably Summer 2018 i think :toxx:

tbf the IDF never does it for "no reason" they just need an incredibly flimsly pretext

like if they did something really inflammatory and offensive and were attacked for it, that would probably do it

although i dont actually know if they need to bombard gaza any more, isn't it basically dying anyway? the last few massacres the IDF also took the opportunity to destroy all their infrastructure and the gazans are basically banned from rebuilding the place under the "agreements" afaik

gaza is so hosed up, you've basically got this situation:
IDF: "Leave our land or die,"
Gazan: "Okay, I will leave,"
IDF: "Thats illegal,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nobody believes that. They use overwhelming force on one or two people to stoke these protests, and then exploit their overwhelming bias in Western media to make it look like the uppity Gazans are at it again, and Hamas is just stirring up trouble. It's part of a long term strategy to manage the conflict by riling people up and then putting as heavy a price on resistance as possible.

yeah bringing things to the boil like this is now part of modern policing in the UK and US too

the idea is bad things would have happened eventually anyway even if you hadn't shelled the farmer or whatever, so its best to get them out quickly while you have assets etc in place to stop the resultant outburst

the only small flaw is that its malevolently, moronically insane

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

If I recall, Israel claims the entire 1 mile past the border into Gaza as theirs, as a sort of buffer zone beyond the border weapons/oppression labratory and prison.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lll watch that when I feel like being enraged

quote:

It is controversial because it claims Israel makes profit by testing weapons in the occupied territories that are then sold worldwide with the marketing that they were tested in combat.

that sounds like the opposite of controversial, that sounds indisputable

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i dunno if it was just over here in the UK but during the last "mowing the lawn" episode all the papers had just blatant adverts for Iron Dome where I guess the IDF had given them loads of technical specs with the aim of selling it and the guardian etc just reprinted it as news because they're craven morons?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

They have wire cutters and rope, we need another billion for some more tanks please

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lol wait is the IDF logo really a knife disguised as an olive branch. That's extremely on the nose even for a fictitious comically villainous fash outfit like them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

viral spiral posted:

the virgins will cool him off in heaven though no?

Too soon?

what?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

the haredim already rule half the country

doesn't matter whether they have guns or not, they're a bunch of crazy zealots and everyone knows it

well and they have mumakil but they keep falling into the terror tunnels

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The ancient Spartans thought of themselves as foreign occupiers of Lacedaemonia, which was a tradition they maintained all the way up until the Romans took over. Because they considered themselves foreign they were in constant fear of indigenous Helot uprisings, which is why every year the new class of Ephors re-declared Sparta's war upon the Helots and sent the Krypteia to murder every Helot they thought was the strongest and most likely to rebel.

Anyway you can see where I'm going with this.

I don't approve of Sparta's horrific slave apartheid state but you have to admit they have the most permissive attitudes towards gay relationships from here to Thebes!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

GoluboiOgon posted:

Not sure, but i do know that in athens, there was no expectation that being a bottom would be pleasurable, and to enjoy it made you "womanlike". It wasn't very effective i would guess.

i forget if its the greeks or the romans or both but having a beard was also "womanlike"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Knock on the glass ceiling girls!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

:thunk:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Isreal has denied gazan cancer patients treatment this year due to complaints from the family of the dead idf body hamas is keeping hostage. No humanitarian aid without turning over the body.

its (unironically) what they would have wanted

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

qkkl posted:

And is it bad? Lots of first world countries have participated in eugenics, and they did it for practical purposes. In Israel's case it was deemed necessary because culturally Ethiopians believed that having lots of kids was good, even if you couldn't support them. This belief is incompatible with Israel's desire to be a first world country. One could argue that teaching kids from a young age that it's bad to have kids that you can't support is a form of eugenics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

....WOW

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lol you know originally the face was darker, instead they just ended up with an emote of my pasty-rear end face on a kite smiling happily

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

is that just to stop frogmen or something?

The Palestinians aren't allowed to escape, duh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's kinda weird tbh, just let them leave. But the Israeli's gotta kill them all because ???

It's not like the Nazi's where they thought all Jewish people had to die, the israelis just want the Arabs gone so they can make greater israel.
i dont rrally get why they dont let them leave. Is Gaza just that useful/profitable as a weapons testing lab?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

both countries that border Gaza hate the Palestinians and don't want to allow any in

also, the Palestinians don't generally want to leave for good. they want to leave the blockaded area that has no food, buy some food, and then smuggle it back

Terror food, right?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

qkkl posted:

The Israeli right hate Soros are antisemitic fascists too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

arranged marriages are weird, a girl i went to school with ended up in an unhappy one and just ended up shagging one of my mates for a while on the sly but she now has kids and seems happy with them if not her stupid husband

otoh my cousin's wife's sister was champing at the bit to get matchmaked and has a happy marriage, but she's quite privileged so probably had her pick

they can be incredibly lovely but they're not as black and white bad as they seem. having a formal network to find a partner seems better than our current approach of just having an atomised wasteland with a single blinking gently caress-app. my single friends have a terrible time of things.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

not letting left wing jews in does make sense as the logical conclusion of Likud's vision of israel tbh

likud seems to have the classic fascist approach to society as an organism that gets infested by parasites
i dont really know how they view arabs though, is the idea to get rid of all of them or turn them into a labouring underclass? presumably it varies

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lol israeli supreme court ruling that the state is in a constant state of war with palestinian civilians, cool, cool, cool

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Exciting is the wrong word, but I'm definitely curious about how the American media, American politicians, and the Jewish diaspora is going to react when they finally take the mask off.

Obviously liberal publications like The New Yorker are generally "critical" of the occupation to varying degrees. Generally, there's a lot of equivocation, "Israel does have legitimate security concerns", etc.

But when Bibi finally announces, "hey there's no two-state anything, we're taking all of it, and Arabs are now disenfranchised" I wonder what the reaction will be. Obviously Trump, every Republican, and most Dem leadership will be cool with it. But I wonder about the rest of the country and the Democratic base.

they'll do what they're doing now
israel just declared that the capital of palestine is actually their capital lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i havent been following israel for like 10 years, how the gently caress is netenyahu still in power lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

if the lack of munitions is true, it clearly explains the cutoff of water and food. starvation as a weapon for the first time in.... how long? when was the last time a region was starved for war because of a lack of firepower?

Yemen is recent

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Brown Moses is an excellent counterpoint to Hornet drivers because iirc he went to Rugby or Eton or whatever fancy high school but didn’t finish.

Someone being a lazy thinker is more useful than someone who is just dumb.

going to eton absolutely does not preclude being very dumb

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Nicola sturgeons replacement Humza Yousaf the new leader of the SNP has been sucking Israels dick like a diligent politician so nobody accuses him of being a Muslim terrorist lover and now his wife's family are performing amateur battlefield medicine on her two year old cousin while her parents from Dundee are stuck visiting her gazan family.

Just goes to show that sticking to your principles is its own reward

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

They could probably survive without American imprimatur as long as they made regional allian- oh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

If this isn't just nonsense it's probably just like the WP thing where the chemicals create a poison gas to flood the tunnels but that's only an unfortunate byproduct

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any takes on Tom Holland's "In the Shadow of the Sword"? I used to be recommended that for early Muslim history but idk about its scholarship and now I'm having some doubts

I think that's the audio book I have and tried to listen to but it really presupposes that Arabs are thrillingly terrifying in all its prose

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Sancho Banana posted:

As we speak, Hitler 2 is already thinking of a way to worm out of explaining that the military killed a ton of the hostages. "Hamas executed them all" or something probably, it would be extremely stupid considering the whole purpose of taking hostages but they'd buy it. Maybe.

Yeah obviously it'll be trivial to sell that line. Who can really say who exploded them?

With a dash of "it's their own fault for letting themselves be captured" too

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

fizziest posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...cb-e7f72f5d0000

Mexico will not break relations with Israel, President Lopez Obrador says
Reuters
5:32 PM

Mexico will not break diplomatic relations with Israel over the conflict in Gaza, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Tuesday, urging political leaders to work for a peaceful solution to the dispute.

Lopez Obrador was speaking at a regular government press conference.

L. Obrador is a dog of israel

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

mdemone posted:

okay I can see that. I still think they'd have to be crazy to hold a large number of people for an indeterminate amount of time while getting bombed to hell and back.

this whole thing stinks, I tell ya

I think if the attack was more successful and damaging than expected they didnt expect Israel would go full berserker mode and just ignore the hostages. Previously taking hostages has been very effective.
Which is why they did start offering to exchange them all really early on but it fell on deaf ears.

Israel probably can also reason that the hostages place a strain on hamas and as long as its politically expedient to ignore them it's also tactically useful cause it'll waste hamas resources.

I dunno how true it is but there's a few reports that the original attack was meant to be more focussed on idf and then once they bust the fences down and realised there was no opposition a bunch of other fighters and groups starting taking the opportunity to do some massacring and taking prisoners

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

What happened to the depantsed general?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Are they going to lick the fentanyl off the ground?

Fentanyl was used as a gas weapon before it was cool iirc

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

This is artisinal aged burger posting

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tbh as a child I'd have been very happy to sit in a corner eating mash and schnitzel

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ofc they aren't damaging the tunnels with the strikes thats the point of tunnels.
If you wanted to deal with terrorists in tunnels you'd have to send people into them.

Carpet bombing gaza is purely just to kill civilians, but it's dumb to even say this when they've been attacking refugee camps and hospitals the whole time, ofc theyr targeting civilians that's their whole "strategy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Breaking the ceasefire with one rocket is playing right into Israels hands!

One wonders what hamas was thinking smh