Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Atrocious Joe posted:

"The Troubles were solved through negotiations and it has led to peace and prosperity, so Palestinians need to reject Hamas like the Irish rejected the IRA."

Lol, Ireland is and always has been super supportive of the Palestinian fight for freedom. Weird how a recently oppressed and colonised people identifies with a currently oppressed and colonised people.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My family has been actively involved in Zionism for over 100 years, back to the days of poor Russian Jews organizing their shtettles. Looking at it historically, a zion could have saved thousands of Jewish lives during the Holocaust.

But capitalism corrupts everything it touches. What was once a project to save the Jewish people from oppression has warped Judaism itself into a symbol of hate. "Israel" has become synonymous with "Jew", and so have all their atrocities. Now my child paints Israeli flags in synagogue and I just bite my tongue.

Death to Israel. I hate this poo poo so much.

I'm only roughly familiar with the various rounds of Israeli propaganda, but it feels like they have spent decades trying to conflate Jewish = Israeli = Zionist, so that when anyone expresses hostility or even concern about the actions of the state of Israel, or illegal settlements by Zionists, they can be immediately dismissed as attacks on all Jewish people.
Which has the awful (I think intentional) side effect of forcing a perception connecting all Jewish people to Israeli Government actions.
It's pretty disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm very new to this conversation, and being very ignorant, I bookmarked the D&D thread, because I thought it would be informative and balanced.

HOLY gently caress WAS I WRONG

Since it became clear Israel was going to go insane in retaliation for the Hamas attack, the thread became a wall of 24 hour probes for any posting evidence of Israeli warcrimes.
I know a lot of people dismiss CSPAM as a shitposting hellhole, but on this topic anyway, it's been leagues better than D&D

Gunna pop over to d&d to see the 2 new posts today in the I/P thread about how did u know the resistance in Myanmar achieved independence purely by hugs?

That Koos fucker is a shameful bigot

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mr Hootington posted:

It is a fair thread allowing a proper representation of news from isreal.

I may be new but I been warned about you Hootie
Go smell a big fart.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Glad you could join us pookah, feel free to shitpost

Dti and dta and dtd&d

I just realised what it was, I had you lads mixed up with FYAD, and I just can't be dealing with that kind of lol random tedium.
God, what a silly mistake.
CSPAM has so far been informative, ironic, funny and desperately cynical.
I want the best result for Palestinians, but I have no hope it will ever happen.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Is anyone surprised by this being explicitly confirmed?
Up until recently, I've (shamefully) only been vaguely aware of the pro-Israeli p.r. campaign, and even I noticed long ago that they are always very very keen to group Israel with The West. This latest Hamas attack has been explicitly described as a major terrorist attack on The West.
How any time there's an attack or violence against an Israeli, they have a good photo and a heartbreaking bio for the victim.
In the media, virtually every dead Palestinian is just one of a nameless, faceless mass of interchangeable, easily replaced 'others'

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Maed posted:

so following denise's logic I can go to Northern Ireland, take all their land and resources, kill 1000s of them, and put the rest in ghettos and she'd be perfectly fine with it cause its my "ancestral homeland" that the british stole. cool I'll see you all later its warlord time if libs will just forgive me doing that

Yeah, I am absolutely entitled to head up to Antrim and murder/evict people who have lived on my family's ancestral land because my Grandads great-great-grandparents got driven out by British settlers in the 1700s
Like, we know exactly when and where from our family got clearanced.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pistol_Pete posted:

From the Time's resident dipshit, Hadley Freeman:

Most UK broadcasters and journalists understand that they need to imply that Israel has overwhelming support in the UK, except from the usual marginalised Leftie and Muslim suspects. Hadley, being utterly dumb, doesn't get this and has indignantly pointed out the overwhelming indifference that most UK people have met the Hamas attack with, with much more sympathy being shown to the Palestinians. She's also a massive terf and can't resist dragging in a completely irrelevant snipe about trans prisoners being given female pronouns.

Because, like the government of Israel, Hadley is an insufferable cry-bully.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Anyone here able to confirm that the subtitles are accurate, that the witness sounds credibly Israeli and if the interviewer is a known Israeli media figure?
I want to post it elsewhere, and I know the immediate response is going to be that its completely faked.

edit: NM, did a bit of looking, and yeah, radio station and host are perfectly reputable, and the witness is entirely credible.

Pookah has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Oct 16, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Orange Devil posted:

Give them citizenship and equal rights to the rest of the Irish.

Lol they already have that.
NI Unionists consider themselves 100% British, but they are fully entitled to get an Irish passport already, and everyone in mainland Britain already thinks that they are Irish as gently caress

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bit of Irish-Palestinian solidarity :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY6HlUIeKDE

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got all sad and angry the other night and posted in the lovely thread.
Got a 24 hour probe that I wear as a badge of honor.

gently caress Israel
gently caress the IOF

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mcmagic posted:

More than the 9/11 wars did? I doubt that. We killed a million and a half people in the middle east for literally no reason.

Speaking as a non-american who was a young adult when 9/11 and the insane aftermath happened, the optics of this are worse.
America got a lot of sympathy from being attacked so dramatically, and there was far less eyewitness footage available on the ground in the Middle East, like we are getting out of Gaza.

We can see with our own eyes what is being done to the Palestinians, we can read the genocidal messages that are coming directly from the Israeli government, and we can see practically the entire US political and media establishment still queuing up to tell the world that
No Matter What We Support Israel.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Marenghi posted:

One of the biggest tech conferences in Europe has been blacklisted by top companies over its founder making the mildest criticism of Israel.

He said "warcrimes are still warcrimes when done by our allies". Even after retracting that and providing a groveling apology to Israel wasn't enough.
https://x.com/IrishTimesBiz/status/1715050198848942148?s=20

Thing is Paddy Cosgrave is an attention-seeking dipshit, who has said plenty of things in the past that got him a lot of well-deserved criticism, but the one time he actually voices a good opinion, he gets destroyed.

Israel cannot tolerate any criticism; surely the mark of a tolerant, modern, democratic state.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

pretty wild to see a reporter actually do their job and push back against disputed claims to their face
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1715052724952179075?s=20

She actually repeatedly cites the extremely fake intercepted phonecall, then forgets that Israel is supposedly only attacking Hamas, and says "the Palestinians, they don't care about human rights"

Poisonous ghoul of a woman

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ireland stands with Palestine :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/RoryHearneGaffs/status/1715715282868564386#m

https://twitter.com/Memzers/status/1715715605607657857#m

https://twitter.com/sarahmaintains/status/1715708182864023776#m

https://twitter.com/dlLambo/status/1715708155731096022#m

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A longer version of that encounter between the CNN reporter and the Egyptian woman at the border

https://twitter.com/AArieshi/status/1715779765070922170#m

At least they actually let her speak and broadcast the interaction

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ammanas posted:

the first sentence of this clip is an absolutely perfect distillation of how the media creates narratives and forms reality: israel was ATTACKED, and 1400 israelis were KILLED. palestine "says" (aka lies) that 4,000 died (passed away in their sleep of old age). insidious as gently caress

God, I have no idea how Yara manages to stay so clear and coherent having suffered such devastating losses among her family and friends :smith:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

gradenko_2000 posted:

the reasonable take is that they did get the warnings that they did, and they did see some of the training and the preparation, but they ignored it, which is different from "allowed it to happen"

the Israelis are contemptuous enough of the Palestinians that they wouldn't believe an attack of this scale and force was coming, or that it would be successful if they even tried

The overriding tone I've been getting from virtually every Israeli state representative speaking/posting to the media (in English, can't comment on the Hebrew content), is a mixture of outrage, contempt and barely-veiled threats.
It's bizarre, after all the money spent on propaganda and good P.R. over the years, the Israeli government of today seems incapable of putting forward anyone who doesn't immediately come off as some kind of psychopath.

It seems to me, that in the immediate aftermath of October 7th, there was a huge opportunity to really boost international grassroots sympathy for Israel, and it's been entirely squandered because they seem incapable of not being very visibly assholes all the time.*

*Also the extremely visible war crimes and open desire for genocide

Pookah has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Oct 23, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

VomitOnLino posted:

Death to Israel, Death to America and Death to Germany and the UK and all the other gullible piece of poo poo governments

They aren't gullible, they are complicit, they are collaborators in a genocide.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sancho Banana posted:

I recall what you posted earlier ITT about how unserious and summer-campy IOF service has become over the last couple decades. REMFs in the IOF are in their mind basically still civilians.

I was watching a bunch of steve1989 MRE review videos, a few weeks ago, and the IDF one was just so bad - it was basically nothing but cans of plain tuna and maybe some instant coffee.
Steve explained it's like this because Israeli soldiers can nearly always order pizza instead.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Posting just to affirm that Steve1989MRE is one of the most blessed weirdos on the internet.

He really is, he's just so calm and so sincere in his love for MREs. No need to pull stupid faces or be ZANY YOUTUBE GUY.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This was the tweet btw

Posted by the most senior 'diplomat' after the actual Ambassador, so not a minor functionary.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

spacemang_spliff posted:

why didn't he just use the much more efficient "turn on your monitor"

Cos they are really really bad at this.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Al! posted:

why would iran need to reverse engineer these, lmao i swear every last one of these mutants thinks the entire middle east is middle of nowhere afghanistan

That's how pretty much the entire region (except Israel) is presented in anglophone media in my experience*

Just an indistinguishable mass of mysteriously angry, shouty people who probably ride around on camels and shoot ak47s to celebrate a birthday.

It's extremely gross.

*and I'm not even in America, I'm Irish.
Irish people have historically always been strongly pro-palestine, but our national news station has an infuriating habit of simply repeating what each side in a dispute says, with zero critical analysis.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DelilahFlowers posted:

I think im gonna post here now.

Exactly my experience from a week ago, it's just a shockingly terrible thread.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just heard a short report on RTE's* lunchtime news on the release of the last 2 hostages.
In quoting the lady who has been giving statements, they only referred to her words about the rough treatment she experienced at first and completely left out her extensive description of being treated humanely and with dignity while being held hostage.
Funking disgraceful stuff.

*Irish state broadcaster

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just checked the RTE website, and the report there is much better, but then how many will see that, compared to the numbers watching the lunchtime TV news?

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2023/1024/1412645-yocheved-lifshitz-israel/

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I remember the on the ground footage from the Iraq invasion, and it was largely supplied either directly by the US military, or by journalists embedded within the US military, so every bit of footage was effectively under military control, since they had full control over where journalists would go and what they would see.
Now everyone has a smartphone, and can livestream atrocities as they are happening, no filter, no outside control.
Unless someone cuts off the power and the Internet.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Western media is latching on the "hell" comment of the old lady. Trying to distance from her comments that she was treated respectfully and well. Instead they mention the things hamas provided as a matter of fact and not something she appreciated. Also downplaying the final exchange between them

I posted about this earlier after seeing how it was reported on Irish state media.
We don't have a fox news-type media landscape, our national news broadcaster is always irritatingly unwilling to push back on anything they are told, preferring to say "X says this, Y says that", without making any judgement of the credibility of X or Y.

They still went ahead with reporting the bad start of her experience as a hostage and completely left out the entire rest of it.
It was very out of character and very disgraceful.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Noise Complaint posted:

this lady has been posting a bunch of tiktok videos of baking gluten-free food to bring to the IDF soldiers so their tummies dont hurt while they do a genocide its some real freakshow poo poo

Have they tried "grinding their bones to make my bread"?
That feels like it would be both gluten-free and extremely on-brand for Israeli social media these days.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sancho Banana posted:

More banger propaganda just dropped
Not sure why they cropped out the background on this one

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1717114079720992848?t=5TSnOOQIjSPFACjj7IuS4g&s=19

Anyone here able to do an actual translation of this?
I ran it through a machine translation, and I do not think it was very accurate:

quote:

Indeed, God is intertwined with the members of Khalid and Al-Zubair. God is in understanding and has established for you a bank of jad so that you may know how bright it is, and a house
that is aware of what it is, so improve the presentation, enact teachings, and mix God with the intentions of meat and naan nest, and if Faisal’s pizza has been
done!
By God, by God, in what you know, Glory be to Him. To buy from them a Taqqat offering for her boat, Marziyah, of her Prophet Muhammad and his companion, Abu Amara
And they knew that this count of yours is an opinion, and there is no cure for it except to hit it, or for suspicion and error except to refute it, and for it is no big deal. So come
to them and work among them. Abu Salman has already revealed what Saad has done regarding them.
“The Lord of Khaybar has sought righteousness, or by the sword of Dhu al-Fiqar, west.”

Pookah has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Oct 25, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Al-Saqr posted:

i just read it, the person who wrote this wasnt saying his own thoughts or anything about his intentions, this is a hadith about the battle of Khaybar، the person being addressed "Bani Zubayd" is the tribe from which many of the muslim fighters came from the battle of khaybar happened durinf the prohpet muhammads time when local jewish tribes were militarily harrassing the muslims and keeping them from spreading islams messages by killing messengers and raidingn caravans, so they sent a campaign to destroy their small fortresses. so its a hadith about taking defending yourself against an aggressor.

so this hamas fighter transcribed himself a hadith fron 1400 years ago to pump himself up for his heroic raid mission and the israelis are pushing it as if he wrote this as his own intentions to a guy called zubayd lol

israelis are such idiot nazi losers

Thank you very much, I assumed it was a gross misrepresentation good to have it confirmed as such.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

hadji murad posted:

his name is joe

Joe Mama?

Joe Bomba!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sacre Bleu!!!

I think you mean Mille Tonnerres
:smug:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

As a distant anglophone westerner, Ukraine has played the English-language P.R. game perfectly, and Israel seems entirely incapable of not coming off as insane, genocidal psychopathic crybullies.

I've been reading Gaza stuff on a local Irish messageboard, and there are posters there who I know to be fairly elderly, pretty conservative and accepting of general media narratives, who have gone from being pro--Israel a week ago, to saying they are behaving like genocidal lunatics today.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i mean the biggest difference there is that Ukraine is fighting a war on its own territory. regardless of whether Ukrainians would like to burn Russian towns to the ground and massacre their inhabitants, they don’t have the ability to do that and aren’t likely to anytime soon. it’s easier for western readers to blow off the occasional bloodthirsty comment as loose talk from a country fighting a desperate defensive war.

Israel is so much more able to inflict damage on Gaza than hamas is able to inflict damage on Israel that the difference is really noticeable and stark even to Westoids. when Israel says stuff like “the Palestinians are animals, not deserving of mercy” it’s accompanied by pictures of annihilated kindergartens and hospitals. it’s not just angry talk, they’re literally doing a genocide currently!

Oh I absolutely agree, the Ukrainian position is infinitely easier to argue. They are an invaded people defending against a genocidal oppressor.

I'm just saying that even after decades of pro-Israel propaganda directed at anglophone nations, the Israeli government is apparently completely incapable of not behaving like openly genocidal lunatics.
They've had the western media in thrall for decades, they have so many outlets queuing up to run cover for them, and they still can't stop themselves saying the absolutely worst poo poo imaginable.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Weka posted:

Civilian death count in Ukraine is about 10,000 so far. Weird genocide. It passed 5000 in Gaza a couple of days ago.

I know the people of Gaza are being genocided.
I am watching all the videos I can bear to see because I feel it is my responsibility not to hide away when innocent people are being collectively punished for fighting back against their oppressors.
All I am saying is that Ukraine gets welcomed in Western media when it reports hideous crimes committed against its people for rejecting colonists, whereas the Palestinian people get treated like terrorists for doing exactly the same.

Free the Palestinian people, gently caress the terrorist Israeli state.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Death By The Blues posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised at the callousness and cruelty of Westerners but the new talking point of elevated/"falsified" casualties is absolutely loving insane and horrifying

I know it's not all that helpful when Western governments are going all in on supporting Israel, but every single major protest in every Western country, in Asia, in Africa, in South America has been a spontaneous, grassroots popular protest in support of the Palestinian people.
Governments are not their people, and popular support for Israel is non-existent.

Governments speak up for Israel because they want to get on the US gravy train.

No-one actually likes Israel.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Weka posted:

You loving your brain up on genocide porn doesn't help anyone my friend.

I watch barely anything; the worst I've seen was the senior aljazeera journalist crying over the body of his dead son, and that was far too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I know it would have no real effect, but I would love it if someone tell Biden to his face that for all his yammering about the importance of his Irish heritage, the only group on the island of Ireland who share his position on Israel/Palestine situation are the goddamn Unionists.