Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

galagazombie posted:

Legit question but how does one become a “legitimate” rabbi? I mean I know anyone can declare themselves the pope of their own religion or whatever (see American evangelicals) but like what do you have to do that the majority of practicing Jewish people would recognize your rabbi-hood?

From what I understand (I'm Jewish and observant but not very plugged-in), in Orthodox circles, you take an oral exam called smicha, which asks questions about four specific areas of halacha. There might be prerequisites for taking the exam, but "having smicha" is the main requirement to be considered a rabbi. (Also from what I understand, many people who complete the exam don't become "practicing" rabbis, i.e., they don't make it their job. They just want to complete the exam to mark an accomplishment in their religious education. I imagine that being a "pulpit rabbi" probably requires some history of service or apprenticeships but I don't know the specifics.) Other denominations have their preferred seminaries, etc. Religious authority in Judaism is very decentralized and not all Orthodox rabbis will recognize all the organizations that administer the exams, though I haven't heard of that often being an issue.

Sir Mat of Dickie has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Dreylad posted:

I imagine they'd take issue with women rabbis, at least that seemed to be the case with the two women rabbis I knew who were practicing in liberal synagogues.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I was referring to issues within Orthodox communities. There is a group called Open Orthodox was shunned by the main Orthodox organizations I believe specifically for ordaining women (or maybe it was another red line issue). Certainly the different denominations have lots of issues that divide them and Orthodox authorities won't recognize the legitimacy of other rabbis ordained by Conservative, Reform, etc. seminaries.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Many Haredim, especially in the Diaspora, have jobs even if it's not what their society values (there are plenty of books and documentaries on the economics of these communities). From what I've read, the prevalence of Haredim studying full-time after marriage (much more common in Israel than in the Diaspora due to, I presume, more favorable conditions) is a comparatively recent phenomenon; previously, such studying was a privilege for students who were promising and could find sponsors.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

The whole exercise, assuming they're actually going to do it, is extremely heretical to mainstream Jewish belief.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

This isn't a case of loopholes, this is just ignoring the numerous reasons why the sacrifice would not be allowed and, even if it were, would not be relevant.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

Why wouldn't Israel allow it? They've funded the Temple Institute that pulled all this together.

The government might; religious law wouldn't. The mainstream belief is that the Messiah is the only one to rebuild the Temple. Strengthening this position is the fact that important information about how the Temple would be rebuilt is not known, such as the intended location of the Holy of Holies (this is why most Jews believe that they should not even go up to the Temple Mount, since the only one who can go to the Holy of Holies is the High Priest and only on Yom Kippur); it is believed the Messiah would be the one to reveal such things. There are disagreements about the exact mechanism by which this would happen (e.g., would the Messiah personally lead the reconstruction?) but the broad consensus is that random people can't just decide to start rebuilding the Temple.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

You can watch "The Laughing Man – Confessions of a Murderer" and very easily transpose Siegfried Müller talking about his atrocities in the Congo with Israeli settlers.

They come from a long lineage of European colonialists, that it seems normal to them is the way it would be.

He was also very drunk. It's a good documentary, though I don't remember his mentioning Israelis (not surprised if it was the case, but I don't remember).

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Said libs seem to be accepting the explanation that it was just an accident, aw shucks (because it's what they want to believe). Whether people who are in a position to know better will change their minds, I wouldn't place any bets.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

See Numbers 19 for the textual source for the ritual. There is also an extensive discourse on the red heifer in the Talmud. The purpose of the ritual is to cleanse the ritual impurity associated with death. Being ritually pure is a requirement to be able to offer a sacrifice in the Temple, though that obviously does not apply currently.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I need to know where the terminally online Hindutva cheerleaders stand on the red heifer sacrifice.

Sir Mat of Dickie has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Insufficiently calm and insufficiently hitler. Those just aren't the posts the forum is cultivating these days.