Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Hell yeah did not know about this thread I like birds a lot

Happy sparrows on Valentine's Day.

My budgie, Pesto, having a flap for himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Nordick posted:

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1628515838251655169

That's not a bird, that's a loving alarm system giving out an error signal or someshit

Sounds like it swallowed a screaming robot

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Silly goose!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

mrmcd posted:

mandatory sound

https://i.imgur.com/I5izygv.mp4

bird is a willow ptarmigan.

Where my brother lives, he sees plenty of ptarmigans and they just give no shits and will approach him and his kid non-aggressively. Whiskeyjacks/Grey Jays will also chill with and sometimes on you.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Someone brought their rooster to the barbershop near my place of work. I loved him and held him.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I hate it when cassowaries try reading over my shoulder

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The rooster was at that shop again. I just love it when he visits.

How rare is it for roosters to be chill?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The pigeons are just going to try building a nest on the falcon.

ultrafilter posted:

Birds of prey are incredibly stupid. All of their brainpower goes towards visual processing and there's none left over for planning or thinking.

You'd think falcons would be sorta smarter. They're not related to other birds of prey and share more ancestry with songbirds and parrots

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Why are birds taking baths so impossibly darling??

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

A sparrow flew into the shop I work at this morning, sat on a plant, said tweet tweet and hosed right back out the door

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

This morning a pigeon was placing twigs on my balcony and now there's an egg and I love mama pigeon

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

stereobreadsticks posted:

I had a similar thing happen recently with a dove, heard a noise coming from a plant on the front porch, took a glance at it and saw this.

Too cute!

My pigeons nest is comparatively shittier.

why is there a straw

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

mrmcd posted:

Honestly that's pretty advanced for a pigeon nest.

Yeah, after examining other pigeon nests online I have come to the conclusion that I am fostering some brilliant pigeons. Mom and dad are continuing to modify the nest and the thing is actually starting to look like a proper cup.

I figure I don't have to do anything to help them. Any intervention on my part would probably just be more stressful for them than anything. Also I have to be really quiet when watering my outside plants now.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

This pigeon nest is officially in the top tier of all pigeon nests.

It's ostensibly nest shaped.

It incorporates found floral craft items such as baby's breath.

That sick rear end feather flag in the back.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

pik_d posted:

wonderful birds

this is my favorite one!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

baby pigeon hatched today!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Baby pigeons are so strange looking. They always look like they got covered in shiny paint or oil and need to be washed off.

Yeah, they're all beak, eyes and feet. They look like they've been dipped in mod podge and rolled around in some hay

So many huge thunderstorms this year, I was worried for them. There was even a tornado today which isn't really common here. I'm glad I was able to get home early enough to catch the hatching. I thought it would be a slower process. I was also surprised to see mom discard the egg shell far away from the nest because based on my reading, they tend to just leave trash in the nest and just sorta crap all around it until it turns into a cup.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

TaurusTorus posted:

I am large and soft and it's not great. Maybe the secret is blue

Just think, if they weren't blue, they'd just be known as "The Man Group."

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

They just hate the sight of other hummingbirds so much.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Disparition posted:

Dove babies at my workplace. Their mom loves my mix of nuts, seeds, and dehydrated berries.

Aww! Little yellow goblin babies! Be prepared for that entire area to be coated in poo poo in a few weeks!

Mom might slow down eating solids as she prepares crop milk with very few/no solids for her babies.

One of the squabs that is currently on my balcony. Their neophobia has kicked in and they do not enjoy my presence. They huddle in a corner and it breaks my heart.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

stereobreadsticks posted:

That actually makes me feel better. Hopefully the hummingbirds can enrich someone's life as much as they did for my mom.
:unsmith:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I had to start cleaning and removing their old nesting material. I was starting to notice mites and ticks on and around them.

I love the black triangle markings on Walter (closest)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It was once an impressive (for a pigeon) nest but it quickly became like if someone sprayed it with diarrhea and concrete :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The other egg looks... boiled? Huh.

Super cute squab, though!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

distortion park posted:

I've never seen a heron this comfortable with people before

There were a couple just chilling. Even a few dogs going past within 3 or so meters.

I want to sit there with them

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I have a memory of a really big gull in New Brunswick. There was a flock of gulls on a sand bar and one of them was practically twice the size of all the others.

My brother and I collected sand eels nearby and offered them to the god gull. He ate them

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Sad news. Neither of the squabs were on my balcony this morning. I looked over the edge and saw one of them must have fallen or attempted to fledge and unfortunately they didn't make it. Poor little guy. He had the most beautiful triangle markings.

I went out to the building's parking lot and found his sibling bumbling around on someone else's balcony. He flew down to see me and we just sorta sat there. He then found his way back to my balcony. I've dumped a poo poo ton of seed out for him.

I hope he doesn't feel alone. :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Yeah, I just don't know what happened. It may have been an animal, maybe the people below me have a cat and it got to the bird. There was a lot of blood. Terrible sight.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Ah. We have a hawk now. That explains everything

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It's just a Scooby Doo villain trying to spook the townsfolk

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Clearly it's been photoshopped onto this planet

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I would happily die trying to hug the thalassowary

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That last one has religious significance

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Oh god, as a little kid I'd have hated that but as a now, I'd love it

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Wtf, you can't milk a bird!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Lol but also I literally said just this morning to someone that every rose-ringed parakeet that has ever existed knows how to say "what are you doing?" in the same tone and voice