Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Moneo: my lord, what will you do with the spice hoard from geidi prime?

Leto: TWO GHOLA AT ONCE MONEO, IT AMUSES ME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

jerry seinfel posted:

i wanna drink some melange coffee

I imagine spice coffee tastes kind of like a pumpkin spice latte with some cardamom in it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I would dig an axlotl tank. It's like a 3d printer but for meat!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...do you even know what an axlotl tank is :staredog:

IIRC it's a genetically modified human woman that is essentially a growth vat for tleilaxu genetic experiments. I want to make chairdogs. And space drugs, and clone my dead girlfriend.

E:do you think anyone ever hosed an axlotl tank?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Vlex posted:

Shadout Mapes? Literally any background Bene Gesserit?

Irulan

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's good. This trailer basically shows most of the action scenes in the film. I think all that was left out was the seige of Arakeen.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

anyone else spot Jamis @ 2:12 being caught at the throat by Paul?

I was a friend of Jamis.

He taught me that one must be patient and wait for the right opportunity to see this in IMAX.

I claim this small glimpse of his first fight with Paul, poster's right.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

No Pants posted:

Oooh, yeah, there's also the part in Seven Pillars of Wisdom where Lawrence ends his description of gay sex among the Arab recruits with a line about how some of them need to be hurt physically while boning. Considering all the Lawrence (and Alexander the Great) in Paul, it's kind of interesting that it's the Harkonnens that engage in homosexuality and all the weird warrior sex pop-psych stuff.

Leto II does, he's more like old grandpa Harkonnen than paul.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Joke Miriam posted:

When Paul sees that the Jihad is "inevitable" does that mean there's an alternate universe where he dies during the timeskip, and with his loss their guerrilla war against Rabban lasts a few more years, but then the Fremen finally win under the leadership of Abomination Alia?

Would Alia's Other Memory tulpa of Harkonnen help her avenge the Atreides and kill his real-life counterpart? If he did, he could make Empress Alia take Feyd as a consort so he could finally fulfill his dream of loving his hot nephew.

Plans within plans...

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Just wear 'cosplay' to the theater.

If anyone gets mad about your tyvek biohazard suit painted black or your full face respirator modified with grandmas oxy tube as a nose tube, well, gently caress'em. May their knives chip and shatter.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
They grind it up, apply precious moisture, and use it as grout for sealing the sietch and making stinky mosaics.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

exmachina posted:

Why would a fremen be white?

They're never exposed to the sun even as kids. Over millennia that would lighten a sub population.

The fremen probably aren't white though as they do go into ther cities and stuff and probably have considerable genetic diversity through smuggler interaction as well.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Johnny Aztec posted:

Pretty sure No true Fremen would mix with a smuggler.

Maybe the corrupted city Fremen, that aren't worth the name.

But have you considered...

Oops! At the Orgy.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I, too, have wormsign.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ElBrak posted:

Ya, I liked how in the book it's pretty clear Thufir would have crippled or wiped out the Harkonnens from the inside even if Paul never did his Fremen uprising.

I must've missed that, where does Thufir plot the downfall of the harkonnen?

Sounds pretty Franky to me. Plans within plans, Yueh wants to kill a man.

He knows it will likely be the Baron and/or Piter in the room interrogating the Duke due to being able to talk to Thufir and the Harkonnen being clowns . So the tooth comes out and Yueh poisons Piter.

If Thufir never 'what if'd every single retainer I'd be surprised. So he may have had a batman contingency plan for Yueh delivering the Duke.

Also, who would supply the poison to Yueh for the tooth? Thufir.

Leto knew he was going to be betrayed and captured and was establishing a contingency with Thufir and using Jessica to drive the real traitor into making a mistake.

Is that it?

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 23, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah on my first readthrough as a teenager Messiah was an odd turn, I don't think I'd ever encountered a sequel like it. Children felt much more conventional and more like what I'd expected (lol).

Structuring it as a trilogy with Dune split in half and Messiah as part 3 (which is apparently the plan if part 1 does well) means Paul's ascension to the throne at the end of part 2 places it at a traditional low point for the protagonists in conventional story structure. This is fitting, and I hope they'll choose to show that moment (if we get it) more explicitly as a hollow victory. So instead of ending on "history will call us wives," maybe we see all the gathered factions make their too eager or grudging obedience to Paul as he's left standing alone at the top, like the end of The Godfather.

I hope he has to use the voice to make them kneel. He's got to be set up for the assassination attempt in Messiah.

The court won't come to his side willingly after seeing what the fremen do and extrapolating, so he takes that first step down the Golden Path and scares himself.

Kinda like how paul crushed sting's corpse in lynchdune. Paul is not a hero, he's not even really human.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It takes time to grow a ghola doesn't it? Messiah is like 20 years after Dunc died.

Even if the emperor knew about Hayt, it was 2 years old. So that plan was useless when he was deposed as he could no longer pay for the ghola and the BT would probably not give it to him anyway when they could gift it to the new emperor/use it themselves.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 26, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ventral EggSac posted:

Frank: Duncan is very good at fighting, tactical genius, very fit, cums a lot.

Brian: Wow my dad made a character based on me!

He thinks he's Dunc, but he's actually those Atreides that get trapped in caves and die.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Was there a virgin Leto II vs chad Duncan meme at some point in this thread?

e: also I recalled that Leto turned into a worm starting at like eleven years old so I realized he might have been an actual 3,500 Year-Old Virgin but uhhhh... doesn't Children have something :whitewater: about he and Ghanima participating in the sietch orgies?

I think there's mention that the twins just sorta vibe at the Orgy. Like, 90 year old fremen ain't loving during the spice orgy, but they will get high as balls.

Also they have the other memory of their parents loving to produce them so they're totally cool with sex, but they're kids so in universe it's still crazy weird. They're also aware of the plot to breed them together and they laugh it off.

It was very weird for Frank to write it though.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Leto says the worms of arrakis will have a sliver of his consciousness in them after his death. Does that mean the worms will have human other-memory? I'm not sure what he meant by that.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yeah I thought he consciously merged the sandtrout with himself to create a symbiotic relationship. It is noted that children let the trout form 'gloves' but then they fall off for some reason.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I can't stand Scott Brick after listening to him read Jurassic park. He plays Ian Malcolm as such a smarmy douche that I can't picture anything else when I hear him. So great job I guess?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Have Jessica be the BG conspiring against Paul after he became giga hitler. Donezo.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Shageletic posted:

It's kinda funny how the girl twin seemed to be more on the ball than Leto and more active, then was largely just forgotten for the rest of the books.

Dune is also about how capable women get screwed over repeatedly by men existing.

E: that's why Chani saying "History will call us Wives" is not meant only as an own on Irulan.

It can also be Chani acknowledging that her identity will be lost to history as 'just a wife of the emperor'.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 4, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
"Huh yeah oh just recycle dad's hunter-seeker scene"

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ingmar terdman posted:

Gamer chair dogs

Gamerword dogs. They just shout gamerwords when they bark.

The tleilaxu are Gamers.

Axlotl tanks double as bangmaid and chicken tendy delivery device

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Could an axolotl tank produce a fully cooked breaded chicken tendie or would it be just raw chicken?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ventral EggSac posted:

I don't like the spice tanks thing because I just imagine them giving birth to dry powder like their vag just did the cinnamon challenge

No it's just the blue goo. You gotta treat it afterwards to get useful stuff.

Like a horseshoe crab!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Colonel Cancer posted:

Free covid with every seat!

Literally the only movie coming out where wearing a p100 mask to the premiere is cosplay.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Look, I didn't write it and I didn't remember it clearly, but I don't think it's exactly far-fetched that a woman in the dune universe knows she won't get a whole lot of agency over her legacy.

Jessica was purchased.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

The Bloop posted:

I sigh as a draw my posting knife

"then turn off your monitor"

poo poo. I was a friend of Uber_stoat. When the thread was in danger of derailing, they posted bravely in sacrifice to ensure the safety of the tribe.

I claim their rapsheet, that Uber_stoat's deeds will not be forgotten.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm with your wife on this. Jessica is an understated badass and pretty much everything that establishes that in the book is missing from the film.

To be fair she didn't really have any opportunity before the helicopter ride where she commands a dude to kill another in front of her son then cuts 2 throats to be badass in non courtly ways, and a lot of that is inner monologue that got cut.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

All I want is the banquet scene.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

skasion posted:

Tbf the Harkonnens didn’t really destroy the environment of Arrakis as far as we know. They might have independently doomed millions but Arrakis, apart from its humans, is literally no better or worse for their intervention. The eco-criminals are the “good guys” of Dune

He might mean geidi prime

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I thought that there had been attempts to transport worms to other planets and they died but didn't release trout? I also recall a passage about how humans studied how to kill worms and basically they're like tapeworms with meters of rock-like skin.

Maybe there's a step in the lifecycle that we aren't told about where the worms need to do something or go through a metamorphosis/worm heat.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The thing is, that kinda ruins the whole getting rid of sandworms to free the people from the oracular fixed vision of the sandworms that still carry the pearls of awareness of Leto II.

You can't see those worms with prescience since they're also Atreides now. It's dumb

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Super Waffle posted:

I went to see it with my wife, who hasn't read the books. She thought the baron was a snake dude like jabba the hut or something because of the long rear end dress thing he wears when he first floats up.

I loved that scene, as he's rising he says something like "Arrakis is mine" and I immediately saw that scene as a trial for god emperor.

I feel like knowledge of the books adds a lot of dark humor to the movie. It's weird and I chose to believe Denis did it for the meta-experience of our own foreknowledge being used to evoke feelings of prescience.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 1, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Vampire Panties posted:

If you had to choose between one lynch thing for new Dunc

milking the poison cat

or

heartplugs

Milking the cat. Thufir with his little parasol gently pulling on cat teats must be in the 2bd part.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Orange sand is spice, The movie requires you to think about it a little because the material is too dense. A lot of the worldbuilding is in the scenery and minor interactions.

Idgi, why are so many folks pretending it's a mentat-level leap of logic to go "oh, his eyes roll back in his head when he does numbers, must be a space math guy, house accountant?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Also Jessica isn't a reverend mother yet in the movie. It may be that she's less emotive once she becomes sayadina.

E: beaten