Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Admiralty Flag posted:

If anyone is interested, mellonbread is doing a write up of the very fun Dune board game in the Fatal & Friends thread. (It's the revised Gale Force 9 version, which I haven't played, not the original Avalon Hill version, but I understand the changes were pretty minimal and for the better.)

Not sure how to link to a post in "someone's posts in a thread" list, so scroll to near the bottom of this and you'll find the posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&userid=222188&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&pagenumber=457&perpage=40&userid=0#post522323271

This link might work better for mobile app users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Why can't he just faithfully adapt the book now that he's shown he knows how to wield the attitude of the knife that Arrakis teaches, instead of making GBS threads all over the source material like 90% of other science fiction movie adaptations of books?

As I recall, Jessica and Paul each spend like 10 or 20 pages tripping hard on Spice and/or seeing the future in the back half of the book.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Feyd isn't a sex pest. If anything he's almost uninterested in things that aren't scheming and fighting.

The Baron is constantly going through slave boys.

Edit: Feyd considers Vladimir's horniness to be a weakness, and a potential assassination route.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 16, 2022

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

GTO posted:

I wonder how they'll handle the whole 'I'm marrying irulan and having chani as my mistress' part. Not sure that would go over very well with modern audiences and my recollection of the final pages of dune was it being the women standing saying 'well this is just our lot in life'...

After Game of Thrones that kind of court intrigue is a lot more likely to be okay for, or at least understood by, the audience.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Idaho dying in a knife fight instead of an explosion makes his return make much more sense

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

10,000 years before the events of Dune is just like the end of this century, isn't it?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I just found it. We're at like 24,000 years before the events of the first book right now.

First book takes place around the 10,200 AG range and the first use of atomic weapons on Terra is like 14,500 BG

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm really hoping that they were filming in Jordan and took a day off to go see Petra for fun and aren't going to film scenes for their far future outer space movie at an incredibly famous world heritage site that has already been prominently featured in several major motion pictures.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

If he's just now joining the cast, then he's got to be either a Harkonnen or part of the imperial court. Afaik they're done with all the desert shooting.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I disagree. She doesn't have a look of childlike innocence, she looks serious but afraid. Perhaps out of her depth

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I tried to grow shrooms this summer but the mycelium never fruited

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

So you're saying there's drugs on the chip?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The movie is ready but they need to space out what they've finished got to cover the empty spring months. So they've got an extra 4 months to do trailers and don't want to show the same trailer too much

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

kiimo posted:

but the movie comes out in three months

But it was supposed to come out a month ago. So they got an extra four months

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Shoehead posted:

So you think Alia is in this? Or are we gonna leave that til DunC 3 and have someone else ice Vlad?

The creepy 3-year old terrifying the Honored Matron is a vital part of the story.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I do think it's possible that someone else (a big name star) will get to kill the Baron, but that freaky toddler will definitely show up to spook the Witches

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I've always felt that they're supposed to be the last lingering remnant of an ancient nonhuman civilization.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

FINALLY got to go see the movie,

my thoughts about it

1) sucks that it was all compressed into less than 9 months, the toddler abomination should have knifed the baron
2) rocks that Jessica had her own plans and went to go do them while Paul was refusing to become the messiah
3) really wish that Paul had gotten to transmute and defeat Feyd's (Emperor's) blade poison
4) thoughts on Part 3 / Messiah: since Denis is clearly compressing the time from 12 years to a few years like he compressed 3 years into 9 months, instead of Chani being infertile because she is being poisoned, she will simply be missing and Paul will have to find her and re-win her love.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Excellent question/point.

Seems like Denis really screwed up by compressing the timeline.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Do you only get the regnal number once you ascend to the noble seat?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Jabor posted:

the reverend mothers have that wicker palanquin, right? (we see jessica riding in it when they head south). they probably just sit in it while the more physically capable fremen hoist it onto the worm

The worm doesn't stop, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

The flame around the emperor's orb ship during the dust storm might also help explain why shields aren't great in deserts. It looks like the shield is trying to block every wind blown dust particle

Yes, that's the way shields work. They can block everything . Personal shields are tuned so that air can get to your lungs, but a spaceship (or a fortess-palace) has its own oxygen supply so they just are set to block everything. And even if you reset it to allow air to pass, sand that's moving even a couple of km/h will be stopped.