Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

basic hitler posted:

I really liked how he kicked mankind so very far out into the future (something like 20,000 years from this date for the beginning of Dune, and I don't know , a lot more for God Emperor, and at least a few thousand more for heretics/chapterhouse).

It's so far into the future that mankind is on the cusp of not really being anything like humans as we'd recognize them. Their culture is a strange amalgam of our conservative past with concessions to the needs of Herbert's deep unknowable future, religions whose names we may recognize partially (zensunni, orange catholic bible, etc.) in theory are nothing like their names imply in reality.

He has to pay zero heed or care to the mankind of today from a plot and story perspective. Our culture and politics only matter insofar as they informed Frank Herbert himself. You almost can't become morally alienated from Dune itself, as the setting removes itself from an actual earthly context as much as possible.

Frank Herbert said balls to all of that, i'm gonna write a book about a bunch of feudal space weirdos who rely on LSD for space travel with an entirely unrecognizable, frequently objectionable society.

The one thing I always hated about a lot of sci-fi is how human society somehow devolves into a lot of feudalism/serfdom, but if the only way to get into space is through a tightly-controlled guild, it doesn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Dogballs posted:

The super gay sci-fi masterpiece, DUDE

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

just go to a local used bookstore and get them on the cheap

That's what I did. $6 for the first three. Even came with a free photo of a trio of local nerds!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Milo and POTUS posted:

post thephoto

Wish I could find it. I left it at my parents' place.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

The evil Paul is called Paolo lol

I don't know if that's better or worse than Luuke.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Speaking of IX, I used to read the bene gesserit planet of Wallach-IX as "Wallach 9" but then I remembered that the Roman numeral had long been forgotten, and it had some connection to ixians

Yeah I think it was mentioned in Children of Dune that only Leto and Ghanima know that it was originally a numeral and not just literally "Ix".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

sebmojo posted:

huh, didn't know that

I think it was in the same area where they're speaking in a "forgotten language" that's just French.

Midget Fist posted:

Every one of these posts make me so so glad I never read beyond the Frank Herbert 6.

Calling this as a band name.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Star Wars just had it as a throwaway, and Lucas probably got the line "spice mines" from Dune.

Problem was the EU (of course) that said "it's a drug, just like in Dune."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

A Dune House?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Reposting his best tweet.

Can't decide if that's better or worse than that Deviantart picture with all their favourite pop culture characters attending their backyard wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I finally watched the movie on Netflix a week ago, and I really should reread the books. Not to mention all that talk about ending at Children of Dune made me start looking for a cheap copy of God Emperor of Dune.

Also: Paul and the Giant Sietch.