Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

With Denis Villeneuve attached to a Dune film project these scenes from Blade Runner 2049 make much more sense as a trial run for the visuals / color palette / etc.:

Also Villeneuve owns and is the best possible director they could've picked for the project. IMO it's one of the upsides to the Herbert estate holding onto the IP with such a death grip over these years even if you're not a fan of the BH/JKA novels.

but will it be as good as jorodowski's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

phasmid posted:

"I want to make Orson Welles into Baron Harkonnen. I propose to him I buy the gastronomic restaurant so he may get into character. Like this, I have Orson Welles."

fakeedit: I love Jodorowsky but he was also planning to make some pretty big plot changes that were not conducive to the story.

didn't he have a scene where Dali, as the Emperor of all humanity, shits and pisses into a pair of golden dolphins' open mouths, at the same time? I didn't actually get to see the documentary about it
good spaceship design tho

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Bloop posted:

Super nondemocratic and eugenic-y though

Far weirder was the implication that most Sci Fi is fascist.

I mean, it is? A good amount at least. The guy who wrote Iron Dream wrote it as a critique of how in sf fascism is shown as good and celebrated, and most people don't recognize because the protagonist isn't literally hitler

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Milky Moor posted:

The Guild spokesperson and his weird translated mutterings is awesome.

I forgot how the machinery clunks and weezes, and how he(?) almost purrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqdE1NdMTg

I did not say thiss.
I am not hearre.

though I never was a huge fan of the human-embryo-turned-huge concept

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I liked it better when I was under the assumption only spice was flowing

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I want a game like CKII but it's Dune.

gently caress, wasn't there something like this back in the DOS era? You could look at different planets and they were divided into hex grids with various buildings and forces? You could build your house and personal traits from scratch?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Probably. The only things I remember were what I said, plus advisors who looked like creeps, and I think you had to become the emperor and stay there for some timeframe to win, and most importantly: it was completely impossible to figure out how to play if you didn't have the manual.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"oh man I dropped some spice grains on this dune.
poo poo."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Netflix never has poo poo. Tried to look for dune and it suggested altered carbon, whatever the hell that is

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Years ago I bought a bottle of that stuff prencapsulated with chloine. Pills of it, not weird tasting powders or whatever. It made keeping focused maybe slightly easier, if that.

However it for sure made any kind of interruptions or bullshit absolutely intolerable.

It definitely did something, but the effect was small and I can't say it was good or bad. Not worth the money imo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:sbahj: that's an av

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mutant Headcrab posted:

a guild navigator falls through a hole in reality and onto an imperial battlecruiser. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of astropaths. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice”

lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Done, I've had enough of this planet

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Telling you man, it's about the instrumentality of actions and choices. I mean, if someone decides to do something not for the value of the thing, but they use it as an instrument to further their goals.

Full machine thinking is a decision rubric of 100% picking only instrumental actions.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
cocoon, metamorphosis planet

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dune, but by Chuck Tingle

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was like "p sure this was posted already. Eh, gently caress it."

Dune, but written by Steven king :unsmigghh:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dune, written by Cormac McCarthy

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dune, by E L James

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dune, by Jim Davis

"Muad'diiiiiiiiiiiiiiib !!!"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
woah.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
People gonna be religious as gently caress in the future. Religion is human, this is not going to evaporate off in the blistering, blinding light of Reason. Space Jesus gonna come and save me by the light of the moons gently caress the heathens. Fuckin forget jeebuses of all kinds, we need to legit smash all machine thought now and forever.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sex Weirds are, imo, Bad, and make things that have these weird shits in them irritating to digest.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
At that point just zap the horny neurons with volts these sexual robots disgust me with their decadence

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No wonder they got jihaded, spending all this time having hyper sex like turbo animals

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Machine sex is worse than machine thinking, when taking human dignity into account. Prove me wrong.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shaddak posted:

Patrick Stewart as a third stage navigator!

Woah

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
He could pull it off really well I think

E: maybe. The guild has an inhuman aftertaste he might not be able to convey. Not the kinda thing you can rely on effects to give.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Dune VIII: Spice of Life

woah woah woah what the gently caress

I wsa just scrolling thru the thread and for a second I thought that was the next one coming out and I was gonna be like "who the Christ ever thought such a title would be ok??"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As much as Herbert was able to flesh out characters, his best work in this vein is confined to the first 2 books. Period. The first two books are quite emotional, sweeping, and romantic..and are rich with ideas but are equally concerned with the characters emotional reactions to events.

Beyond those two it's obvious that he was writing as a career and using the template in a very impersonal way in order to explore ideas and cultural preconceptions, in 3-6. It doesn't bother me and can be great at times, but if you're coming for characterization then stick to Dune and Dune Messiah.

I'd say most early fantasy authors were completely obsessed with sexuality but were living in such a conformist culture that they couldn't risk actually expressing interest in said ideas. Sturgeon always managed to best those restrictions with the sheer beauty of his colloquial writing style (More Than Human) but many more blunt fantasy authors like Bester pretty much allowed that confinement and sexual frustration to manifest in misogynistic ways. The Stars My Destination is still absolutely incredible though.

holy poo poo more than human had a piece of it in weird tales, right? I looked it up and saw the phrase homo gestalt and it came flooding back. man I forgot about that poo poo my was blown

basically my mind was in a process of getting continually blown by various fiction ideas for a substantial part of my younger life. Sometimes i suspect this has something to do with the seeming lack of dick getting blown during that timeframe idunno

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hey doons i'm looking for goonish robots and remembered LORD CYBERTREX 8000 when I saw this thread was still going

Anybody got some good pics of CYBERTREX or know other bots tangentially related to goons like pusher/shover/support?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Cleveland Ohio

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Seems p interesting and I wonder why having the homeworlds expansion was pointless, that seems on the face to be a cool idea that might add to the game. If the landsraad was in it could have a really strong "homeworld" that actually represents the combined homeworlds of various other houses that don't have their own strong presence on Arrakis.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I feel like there's some kind of framework that allows you to play arbitrarily-ruled tabletop games online and this can probably hammered into shape so it plays tabletop dune

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

drunkill posted:

Tabletop simulator on steam has a few versions of it as a mod. No clue if they're any good.

I tired to find a vid of this to see what it would be like instead and I found these nerds who found rpg and Warhammer but dune or something??

There's a lot of no-info blurbs but according to some release by the company I saw it comes out at the beginning of this summer. It's part of a vid where they talk about the other products they're gonna be putting out this year including I guess a lot of localizations for D&D books. He talks about Dune for 7 seconds and only says when it's coming out.

After a few more random clicks I found this: https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/41139/exclusive-frank-herberts-dune-comes-tabletop

quote:

As master licensee, GF9 will produce original tabletop games drawing from the extensive DUNE franchise – including printed work by Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson, as well as direct tie-ins with Legendary’s upcoming film directed by Denis Villeneuve

The guys who are apparently making this made "the official Kung Fu Panda board game" and "Family Guy: Stewie's Sexy Party Game?" Dunno if they're any good I guess they did star treks and firefly and vampire poo poo of some kind too. Modiphius and Gale Force Nine. Not really in the table top scene.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The overt meaning of “butler” is “a highly-skilled servant”.

The kabbalistic meaning of “butler” is “one who destroys intelligent machines”.

This reading we derive from Samuel Butler, a Victorian author who in 1863 published Darwin Among The Machines. He wrote that, just as Darwin had recently found humans to be evolving by natural selection, so machines might be “evolving” by artificial selection, becoming more and more powerful until eventually they would replace humans as the dominant life-form. He ended by suggesting that “war to the death should be instantly proclaimed against them. Every machine of every sort should be destroyed by the well-wisher of his species. Let there be no exceptions made, no quarter shown; let us at once go back to the primeval condition of the race.”

And we derive it also from Frank Butler, a friend of Frank Herbert’s, who protested a freeway meant to help industrialize Seattle. Herbert was so impressed by Butler’s anti-technology activism that he included in his Dune series an anti-robot crusade called the Butlerian Jihad, in which mankind rises up against robots and destroys them all. A jihad is a struggle waged in accordance with the will of God, and the Butlerian Jihad certainly qualifies. For God says (Joshua 8:1) “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Take the whole army with you, and go up and attack AI.” Thus the Butlerian Jihad.

This, then, is the kabbalistic meaning of Butler: “one who destroys intelligent machines”. The obvious derivation is English – stories about “robot butlers” and the like. But if I’d been a little less shocked by the explosion, I might have moved past that and posited a Hebrew origin coming from bat Teller.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lol, honestly I poached that off of Unsong (def worth reading, Neil Armstrong falls through a crack in the sky, reaches Ein Sof, and the radio channel NASA used has to be abandoned because he won't stop eternal-choiring about how great God is). Plus you can read it online for free.

The idea of machines that can think is probably older than the idea of machines, but I have no proof of this. I think goes back to the idea that "humans were created from clay or whatever... Also we make stuff from clay all the time... :thunk:" and then the next question would be is it morally acceptable for humans to make people, assuming it's possible?

There's the original Golem story but I think this idea that you can create something that is like a living thing but not "alive" is significantly older than even that. Iirc there's similar proto ideas in Greek and depending on what kind of definition you're willing to go with Gilgamesh may count. Pretty sure there's a talking weapon even from back then but if I'm remembering right it is created by a god and not people.

After the Golem you get the era where rich kings would want to buy automatons and there was some concern this was going to far. This is irl and not just a story.

Then after that you get the story of Frankenstein -- sort of related to this, the substrate is obviously the dead and not clay or machines or whatever.

Sorcerer's apprentice of course is in this genre. Not sure when that came out.

Back tracking to earlier there's the Aztec (I think) story about how in the last world (we're on #5 or something) was destroyed because all the tools of the people got fed up and warred against humans and the whole thing gets hosed up so the gods gotta start over again.

I think there are similar stories widespread thought non-European cultures and some will be very old, but nothing else comes to mind offhand.

I don't know where exactly the line is crossed between "oh poo poo the pots and pans came alive" to the more refined idea of Butlerian Jihad. Basically I think the idea that it might be possible to take an inanimate thing and give it agency, and this might be dangerous as gently caress but maybe good, is probably as old as the idea that some things count as alive and some things do not. Even now there are some cultures where everything still counts as alive already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Bottom line imo: the idea of a "what if we made a thinking machine" is probably roughly as old as "this is a machine, not just a tool"

"What if these non-living things became alive?" Is probably as old as "these things are alive, these things are not"

And then finally there's a spectrum between the two ideas where the one side is "everything is in some sense alive or has a souls" and the other side of the spectrum is skynet, and then maybe Feeling Machines that have emotions

So it's weird eventually you get back where you started, in a way