Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

disposablewords posted:

Pretty much, though if I recall it eventually gained traction because the powerful ended up embracing it and it became the popular faith of empire, not unlike Christianity.

Yeah, having just finished the book for the second time (it's good!), the O.C. Bible stuff was a disaster at first, with a number of the creators renouncing it, dying at the hands of their parishioners, or dying by suicide. Only much later did it catch on. Which feels kind of realistic.

E: my tween daughter loved the movie, and is waiting for the second one before reading the book. She regularly says to me, "Paul rides a sandworm in the second one. Right? Right!?" I have refused to confirm or deny.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Toxic Mental posted:

Florence Pugh isn't a hottie

:mods:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Maudib Arakkis posted:

How would you summarize dune one to the wife in a few sentences if she hasn’t seen it before the pleasure of dune 2

Explain the worms. My son saw the Dunc 2 with a friend who hadn't seen part 1 or read the book and at one point the friend leaned over and whispered, "why is he walking like that?"

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

Also how the gently caress do you manage the dismount?

They mention in the book you ride the worm until it tires, then it slows down and you can just roll it sideways and hop off.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Jewmanji posted:

The reason that Paul willed the jihad into existence (or at least the reason he tells himself) is that the body count from the jihad is somehow less than every other alternative he sees. It’s the least bad option and his tragedy is that he still has to own the responsibility for a holocaust. It’s the same as Leto II’s justification for his regime- as bad as it is, it’s necessary for the ultimate survival of the species. Imo one of the weaknesses of the books is it’s genuinely unclear whether Herbert believes this psycho utilitarian nonsense.

Yeah having just read up to God Emperor for the first time, I don't really know what to think about all this. You can read it as full throated support for the necessity of an authoritarian guiding hand, the opposite of that, or just about some stuff he saw while doing psychedelics.