Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Dune series (original six) are my favorite novels. However.....didn't much care for God Emperor. I've read some of Brian's books. The House books are not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

sebmojo posted:

Brian herbert actually wrote a couple of books that are, not great, but are at least entertainingly odd before he turned his attention to his father's cadaver

I believe that I read both 'Paul of Dune' and 'Dune: House Atreides'. While not as good as the original six.....I feel like neither was all that bad. It would be funny if they attempted to shoehorn some 'Paul of Dune' stuff into the second film.....since it takes place in between 'Dune' and 'Dune Messiah'.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don't, I refuse to believe there's actually a book called "Paul of Dune".

It's not a good name.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is the kind of thing that makes me worry how God Emperor will live up to its reputation

you'll tell me he's not actually a worm next

You'll be pleased to know that the main character of God Emperor is indeed a giant worm.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

sebmojo posted:

I have to say that the Sci-Fi (now d/b/a Syfy) channel's three-part remake of Dune and even their sequel miniseries series Children of Dune were superior to this current remake, and that's with an understanding that Children of Dune was in no way good. From the first scene in this remake, it's boring, the actors don't appear convincing as their characters and there is little to draw the viewer in. Dialogue seems truncated from prior tellings of the story, leaving the viewer feeling disconnected from the characters and their struggles.

Technobabble, a hallmark of most science fiction, is mentioned here and there in the order familiar to those who know the plot, but it's like they're just checking off boxes on a list someone told them they had to include. Pauses between lines and scenes are overly long and melodramatic, making scene transitions and stretches of silence have more dramatic impact than the actual bits that advance the plot or could provide character development.

Also I was less than impressed but hardly surprised that they felt obliged to make the first Fremen we see on camera Black. What's the point of that? Doesn't it break immersion for everyone else? There's this group of natives, not presumed Earth-descendant outsiders like the Attreides, but native people of Arrakis called the Fremen and they have common ancestry and hate outsiders... but oh yeah, this one's Earth African and that's totally normal and not jarring. I know that later in Herbert's books, in Chapterhouse Dune, they actually have the Bene Gesserit encounter literally Jews in Space 26000 years in the future, but this is meant to be a retelling of the original story which didn't include such anachronisms. I understand why they make such decisions, which makes me like it even less.

Thumbs down on 2021 Dune.

This is the kind of passion that we need in Dune Part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

It’s just been announced that Villeneuve is set to direct Rendezvous with Rama. I hope that doesn’t mean that Messiah is off the table :(

Or maybe the plan is to do Messiah after a bit of a gap.

That surprised me. Seems like a really difficult book to adapt. But it's been years since I read it.