Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arven posted:

I haven't read Dune 7, but I now imagine it to be just Hunger Games with every character in the entire Dune series.
I'm so tired of all these Butlerian Jihads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Serious talk though, from all the sources I've seen, what Herbert actually envisioned w/r/t the Butlerian Jihad is the surveillance state we're living in now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In that case, it would be remarkably prescient in predicting the ideology of the current Democratic Party.

By the by, my specific source is short story Herbert wrote for a California newspaper in the form of a news article. It recounts how people in the 21st century violently rebelled against computerization because it enabled a police surveillance state.

So his idea of AI is just more genuinely human than the machine learning algorithms Facebook and Google and everyone else are using.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's in the box, bitch?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I once made a simple FUDGE adaptation for playing in Dune. It was fun, even for people who'd never played a roleplaying game before and hadn't read Dune.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

don't blueball me you fucker

dig up that Word 98 document or whatever and share it
I can, but bear in mind that a) it's not a complete game because I just made handbooks for the players telling them only what they need to know, b) the rules for things like the Weirding and Dueling maneuvers are missing, and c) it's got a bunch of copyrighted artwork that I should strip out before I share it with anybody.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Imperium looks like they've put a lot of thought into it; it's been through multiple editions and even has original art.

Alas, I don't speak French.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I assume Suk doctors receive very specific conditioning so that they can deal with any kind of injury and suffering while treating a patient, but abhor it in the abstract. Thinking about the person closest to him in an Infinite Painmaking Machine pushed him over the edge and allowed him to rationalize the betrayal, etc.

Still seems like something somebody would've tried before.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

tight aspirations posted:

If a human/BG can control any nerve in their body, and effectively just ignore pain then why did she not do that?

basic hitler posted:

Only later BG have refined their abilities to that point, I think.
I presume there's some kind of limit when they put you in the Agony Booth.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"His name is a grilling word."
"you shall be called Usul, which is the base of the griller."

Murray Mantoinette posted:

e: wait your name isn’t Jamis is it?
I was a friend of Jamis. He taught me that when you grill, you pay for it.

THE BAR posted:

I don't know why the Sardaukar had to wear NBC suits in the movie, but it was kinda neat.

The book ones are still my favourite special forces.
Thanks to the movie and the video game, almost all the fanart of Sardaukar I've seen has them wearing power armor and carrying huge guns. It's weird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

basic hitler posted:

Unless you're about to sell it it doesn't matter

FINE

Player's Handbook
Setting Handbook

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's just FUDGE, or more accurately, FATE with the Aspects stripped out. I will probably add in the rules for Dueling, Weirding, and Shield-Fighting maneuvers at some point. I wish I had something more concrete for measuring the political advancement of your House as a whole.

I'm so used to hacking together poo poo and pirating old OOP games that "Just convert the Company rules from Reign and adapt the maneuver rules from the original Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium seems like a reasonable thing to say, even though that's patently nuts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Stephane Picq's soundtrack for the games is still very listenable if you like retro nerd technopop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pz67KeUhTg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Doon. Beer planet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, I'm sure even the Fremen would look at that and go "nah, we're good."
KJA is Abomination; let his water be cast upon the sand, lest he return and write a sequel about how his water is special because it has nanites in it or whatever

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The glossary at the back of Dune mentions ships designed to Constructicon themselves together and attack strongpoints by falling on them. I think Paul mentions them once, in passing. It never comes up again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Are stillsuits electronic? Could that maybe rationalize how they don't kill you?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Saying that KJA's writing is a pure expression of is soul is more cruel than anything I could think of to say about him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Idaho.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Amethyst posted:

It is not interesting. It is a dead simple rant about bureaucrats, likely motivated from frustration. it isn't really philosophy. There is no serious examination of why instinct is better than caution. It's just an assertion.
You're right. A great deal of Herbert is just-so stories that are very much of their time. Because he confidently makes assertions about lofty issues, it sounds like reason. This becomes glaringly obvious when he starts talking about men and women.

Amethyst posted:

I don't think anyone should dive into a 500 page political treatise written by Frank Herbert before they read, say, Capital by Marx
There's more insight into the nature of power and the course of history in the first 3 paragraphs of the 18th Brumaire than there is in Herbert's entire body of work

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 29, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Uproot your posts from their thread and the dangling roots will be seen. More posts!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I see Vance as the counterpoint to Herbert. Where Herbert is very concerned with showing you how a culture develops in response to its ecological and historical situation, Vance deliberately creates implausible cultures as set-pieces in a strange menagerie to explore wild ideas.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Phanatic posted:

How so? Paul's the ducal heir and his mother was just a concubine. If bastards are still legitimate heirs, then how does polygamy lead to succession crises?
Paul is the heir because his mother is a "bound concubine." If he wanted, Leto could keep a harem of lesser concubines whose children couldn't inherit. If Leto married someone else, their children would take precedence over Paul. He didn't marry Jessica because the remote possibility of a political marriage was a useful tool. This is the kind of aristocratic antics upon which wars of succession are built.

Also, did y'all miss the cult of psychic ninja witches that's insinuated itself into every Great House to control their lines of succession?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Because the wives, unlike the concubines, would be noblewomen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

skasion posted:

The BGs have implicitly married everyone of note for millennia. Besides not really weird if the emperor of the known universe is doing it. Reading between the lines, it seems like they have a monopoly on the education of young women of rank.
Also, when it's legal for your political rivals to knife your baby in the crib, having a ninja be the mother of your children is a very appealing prospect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He was also surprised that the saltwater didn't taste good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

I dont know posted:

Did Frank outright say CHOAM was an OPEC analog?
Yes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I want Darren Criss.

I also want him to play Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

climax with jamis, take his waifu take his water, then climax with chani who likes paul waters
This Ain't Dune: A Triple Ix Parody

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
By and large, the miniseries has better costumes than the Lynch movie. The officer uniforms and the stillsuits were the standouts of the film; the problem is that half the cast is wearing shiny black costumes that also look like stillsuits.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Philthy posted:

You are out of your drat mind.
I just don't think that the unimaginable opulence of space feudalism, let alone the psychopathic decadence of the Harkonnens, is well-conveyed by having everyone wear a rubber trenchcoat. The miniseries didn't have a lot to work with, but the costumes tell you who the characters are. Everyone in Lynch Dune wears a military uniform or some kind of black shiny spacesuit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Absolutely.

Bob Ringwood's stillsuits are unimpeachable, but the fact that 3/4 of the cast is also wearing some kind of black rubber costume detracts from them.

Also, here's hoping the Sardaukar don't look like mecha anime. I wish people would stop illustrating them in power armor.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 10, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

skasion posted:

The nobility and their retainers wear military uniforms because that’s who they are. They’re warlords who head private armies. Sting in a chrome speedo captures the character of the Harkonnens perfectly imo.
Oh no, I think the uniforms were something the film did very well--you can immediately see the difference between the Corrino Sardaukar uniforms and the Atreides uniforms. I think the TV version made a mistake by draping the Emperor in purple gowns, and one of the things I don't like about the Jodorowsky concept art is that Duke Leto and Emperor Corrino look like Yoshitaka Amano concepts for a Final Fantasy game--that's Feyd's job! The Leto one looks like something appropriate for Gurney falling in with the smugglers.

It's just that a lot of costumes that aren't military uniforms are, hmm, something made of black plastic, and/or maybe we'll shave their heads?

quote:

The women’s costumes are particularly awesome — Mohiam’s weird headdress and mesh gauntlet, Irulan’s golden dresses and enormous collars and veils, Jessica’s gigantic umbrella/hood on Caladan.
They are. But strangely, this is exactly why casual viewers disliked the TV costumes. They wanted them to look "modern" and they hated the hats and headdresses in particular. (It gets on my nerves how no one in period pieces wears hats or helmets.)

To sum up, both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm less impressed by what Lynch's team did with $45 million than I am with what Harrison's team did with the change under SyFy's couch cushions.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 10, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might also come into play that the Weirding Way and voice is a thing, Bene Gesserit can at least briefly halt attackers with a commanding voice, and the kids are expected to be prodigies given their father was, well, Paul. Point is they could be expected to have a lot of tactics that would impede a human attacker, but a couple of tigers who've been given a taste for young fremen flesh aren't going to be susceptible in the same way.
I was just weirded out that the Arrakis landscape can support anything bigger than a chickenhawk surviving long enough to eat anyone before it dies of heatstroke.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You gotta love that Star Wars: Episode IX revolves around a distant spooky planet where a cult maintains forbidden technology.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No one does anything with the Dune franchise without Brian Herbert on board in some kind of official capacity.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hawat very carefully gave the Baron a mixture of good and bad advice, in the scene where he explains the origins of the Sardaukar to him. He also plays Feyd and the Baron against each other.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 23, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Does Miles Teg pronounce his name like "Miles O'Brien" or "Miles Gloriosus"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I took it as a tribute to the castration scene from The Holy Mountain.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

skasion posted:

Shaddam definitely has a sanctuary of 1000 testicles
In the prequels we find out that they were Bene Gesserit super-testicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've made punch with edible glitter and it's a lot of fun.