Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In regards to the whole lasgun versus shields thing, it was mentioned in the first book that the reason nobody uses it as a weapon is because the reaction is completely random. You could have a gigantic atomic level explosion, or it could just blow up the person wearing the shield and the lasgun user. The one time Duncan Idaho does it, it just happens to cause the giant explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

basic hitler posted:

Lmao i want a choam gang tag.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jiro Kage posted:

Zardoz is the pinnacle of Sean Connery’s acting career, definitely. ... He actually did that movie after the bond movies, for some insane reason.

A friend of mine spent a while editing Sean Connery’s Wikipedia page to the effect of how amazing and epic zardoz was and how it defined Connery, until he was banned from posting there.

He supposedly did Zardoz because it was literally the only script his agent brought him that wasn't just some knock off Bond spy movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its been forever since I've seen it but IIRC the movie also leaves out a kind of neat part from the end where during the fracas with the Emperor's forces there's a quick description of a Guild Navigator holding a hand over an eye and Paul sees that he's lost a contact lens because the eye is like solid blue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looking at Amazon and it's kind of funny how they sell a bundle of the series but only the original books. Also saw that one of the son books had (Dune Universe book 18) after the title. That's too many loving trash sequels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

The Dune series teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

Noice

Edit: Close thread.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 19, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dune Thread: They Called the Third Leto "Leto II"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So reports are that Timothée Chalamet is in talks for Paul in the new Dune movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Dune? The desert planet??

No, that doesn't sound right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

Kull wahad. Ian McKellan for Shaddam.

Nah, they specifically say that Shaddam looks middle aged.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Aggggggg quit calling him that

It is the WORST.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

phasmid posted:

Also I always picture Duncan as Batou from Ghost in the Shell because they both have metal eyes. Get some guy with metal eyes, imo.

He only has metal eyes in Messiah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was rereading Dune Messiah with some of the movie casting in mind and Jason Momoa as Duncan makes a lot of sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YoursTruly posted:

I've only read the first book, but did Paul or Leto II ever fold space?

Folding space isn't a thing that Guild Navigators can do, they still use a machine. It's just that they can use their ability to see the future in such a way that they can lock in a future that makes sure the highliner arrives at the destination.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The nice thing about the Kindle version of the series is they use the cool old school art covers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Brian gets very basic aspects of the setting wrong. For example, the Butlerian Jihad, where the alternative explanations are like...

My go to thing is how in the first prequel book he wrote for some reason he had the thing that killed the Old Duke (Paul's grandfather) be a weird alien instead of what was clearly just a regular rear end bull from the first novel.

Like Dune never explicitly says that it was a bull but it is pretty clear in context that it wasn't some bug.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They talk about it having horns and that the Old Duke died in the bullfighting ring so yeah, he probably didn't think he needed to say that it was a bull.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You would think that outside of the sandworms there are no "alien" creatures in the book would tell Brian something but nope.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Children of Dune talks about some tigers that had been brought over to Selusa Secundus and how they are slightly different from old Earth tigers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well a Suk doctor with Imperial Conditioning will probably end up somewhere important.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

basic hitler posted:

i know a girl who loves dune, including all the brian/kja stuff and she refuses to consider them as non canon nor the validity of any claims that those books are nothing at all like frank's or that his failson had no business writing them

sea worms and ultra spice and paolo are all as canon as the god emperor himself

My dad is also really bad about this. He loves Dune and just likes that there are more books and doesn't really distinguish between the two. He's also 65 and a pretty uncritical reader. His other books are mostly crap mil-fiction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Tell him that the sleeper has awakened, then burn his non-canon Dune texts that is: anything but the Original Six, the Smithee-cut of Dune ‘84, and the Dune Encyclopedia (the authorized encyclopedia of Frank Herbert’s Dune).

For the father: nothing.

He's had the Encyclopedia since at least the 80s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What was Paul's Jihad even about? Forcefully converting people to Zensunni from all the other Islamo-Buddhist/Christo-Hindu faiths?

Edit: Is it accurate to say that a Stone Burdner is an enuclear weapon?

From rereading Dune Messiah recently the impression I got was that a lot of the Jihad was Paul consolidating his power seeing as even by the events of that book he hadn't actually done so yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I bought the Kindle edition of Dune a while back and he had the foreword and it was just self aggrandizing and mentioning poo poo he wrote.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

When are we going to see production pictures of Harkonnen, dammit.

This is from a couple of pages back but Stellan Skarsgard gave an interview a couple of weeks ago and mentioned that he hasn't filmed his part yet. Also sounds like they aren't going to expand the parts with the Baron because he says he's only scheduled to film for two weeks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's also wearing a fat suit so that probably cuts down on how much actual filming time they're going to do in a day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spazzle posted:

The bulk of asimov's books are alien free.

Asimov actually came up with a reason for this by implying that an organization altered the past for his "main" universe (Robot/Foundation) where they somehow made it so that humanity was the only intelligent life in the Milky Way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Is there some goofy legal poo poo like the Fantastic Four / Xmen + Fox contract, or the Spider-man + Sony contract where @duneauthor just needs to write a garbage book every 5 years to perpetually renew guardianship of the license or something?

He probably has a whole thing figuring out how long each book will sell and when sales drop they crank out a new one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interesting to see the board game actually get Shaddam right instead of making him look old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

What I'm saying is, how do we know snorting Moon dust won't give us longer life?

NASA says Moon dust is super dangerous to humans because it is so fine that it just collects in the lungs and can't be expelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For Feyd I think they could go with David Mazouz. He looks a lot like Chalamet and can play intense dickhead.