Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I only know good cats. Forgive and forget (assuming you don't actually forget)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. Forgive him. Despite the box thing, he seems like a nice enough guy.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Act Hurt. GUILT FOREVERMORE

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ok, this was a very close vote. We had 3 votes for giving Andre a taste of our claws and 5 for acting hurt. But forgiving him won out with 6 votes so that's what we'll be going with.

quote:

"Friendly thing—especially considering how long it was stuck in that box," Claire says, as Andre joins in on the stroking.

They really are both pretty good at this. You amp up the purring so they'll continue, and Moon creeps forward tentatively. She smiles as you writhe with enjoyment.

"I'm glad…and still sorry," Andre says, brushing lank hair out of his eyes. Claire turns to him and kisses his cheek.

"I think it's OK, dear," she says. "Just think a bit next time."

Andre tousles her hair as he stands, moving back over to his armchair. He slumps into it like a rag doll, looking more than relieved.

Ok, seems like we got the family to like us a bit more, including Moon. On another note, who in the world names their child Moon? Are they hippies? British hippies?

quote:

Moon trembles slightly, twisting her T-shirt. Her face is pale and worried under her yellow curly locks. Claire and Andre exchange glances.

"Moon, honey, would you like to choose a name for the pussycat?" Claire says encouragingly.

This grabs your attention like the smell of old fish. A child, handed the power to affect your identity. You shut your eyes and concentrate on the feel of wool-weave luxury beneath your paws. It might not be so bad, it might be…

"Hello Kitty!" Moon erupts.

"That's, mmm, interesting," Claire says. "Why Hello Kitty?"

"'Cause of Hello Kitty, silly." Moon's brow furrows. For her, this is clearly a very stupid question.

"Right." Claire lets out a long breath and mutters something to Andre about children's imaginations being corrupted by television.

"Don't you think our cat could have its own special name, and not be like a cat that already exists?" she suggests.

"I like Hello Kitty!" Moon scrunches up her face.

Moon's mother bends down and folds one of Moon's curls behind her ears.

"Honey, how about you think of lots of names and we can put them in a hat. Then we can choose one. Wouldn't that be fun?"

1. No. I wander off to use the litter box to show my disapproval.
2. Yes. I leap gracefully onto the coffee table for a better view.
3. Hah. I'll decide if it's fun on the basis of the outcome.
Ok, we have been saved from being named after a cartoon character. Just to let you know, you still have time to change your vote for gender and name, or vote if you haven't already. At the moment, being a female is in the lead with a tie of Bast and Morgana for the name. But for now, what do we do about this ceremony for our name? Do we think it's fun?

1. No. I wander off to use the litter box to show my disapproval.
2. Yes. I leap gracefully onto the coffee table for a better view.
3. Hah. I'll decide if it's fun on the basis of the outcome.

New update on Wednesday!

quote:

Cat Treats Acquired: 0
Mice Hunted: 0
Contempt: 50% Affection: 50%
Audacious: 52% Cautious: 48%
Manipulative: 52% Demanding: 48%
Self-Interested: 50% Loyal: 50%
Feral: 55% Domesticated: 45%
Fun-Loving: 50% Comfort-Seeking: 50%
Logical: 50% Intuitive: 50%
Claire's Dislike: 45% Claire's Like: 55%
Andre's Dislike: 43% Andre's Like: 57%
Moon: is uneasy around you.
Bene: hasn't met you yet.
Maddox: hasn't met you yet.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Decide based on outcome.

Also adding my vote for Morgana if it's not too late..

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Litter box.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Litter box. Also throwing in another vote for Morgana.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
We were bunched up in that box for a long time and didn't use the box for a while before being put in. Obviously we are desperate to piss

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I stand by the goodie-two-shoes route! :colbert: Cat's like seeing, don't they?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Litter box. Mark our territory while we wait to be named.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

2. I will indeed participate in the pronouncement of my regal name.

Is it too late to begin a campaign for Hello Kitty as an actual name? Moon may prove to be our greatest, most puppetable ally.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
[2] We must see what they are doing so we can let them know when it is time to sleep

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ok, so Morgana is definitely our name with 4, with Bast coming in second with 2 and all other names with 1. As for our reaction, we have another close vote with 3 for watching the ceremony and 2 for deciding based on the outcome. But our desperate need to pee won out with 4 votes so let's visit the litterbox!

quote:

The sudden rank smell prompts action from Andre. He jumps up from his chair and dashes over, scooping up your doings and dropping them into the dustbin next to the box.

"That's one worry out of the way," he announces cheerfully. "The cat knows how to use a litter box."

You make an angry note to yourself that humans are capable of misinterpreting even the most basic symbolism.

"Maybe we can add Stinky to the list of possible names," Claire quips. "Go grab a crayon, Moon, dear."

Andre settles back into his chair looking weirdly pleased with himself.

"OK," Moon replies with enthusiasm, running off to the corner of the room where a plastic desk boasts jars full of colored drawing implements. She runs back to Claire brandishing an orange crayon and paper.

"If I say the names, can you write them for me?" she says, jumping up and down in excitement. Your eyes narrow as mother and child discuss your name. You wonder if staring intently at the kid will make it come up with better ideas than "Hello Kitty."

"Oh!" Moon says, turning to her mother suddenly. "Is the pussycat a boy or a girl?"

-Boy.
-Girl.
-I am not a fan of gender constructs.

As we decided earlier, we are a female kitty with a leaning towards a lack of gender constructs. As I mentioned before, this affects nothing.

quote:

"She's a girl cat," Claire says.

Claire puts an arm around her daughter while Andre goes to fold up your box and stash it someplace out of the way. You are more than glad to see the back of it.

Moon flaps her arms enthusiastically. "How about 'Fuzzy'?"

"OK," says Claire, writing on a piece of paper. "Now what else?"

The pair carry on with occasional interjections from Andre, who seems not to have realized that this idea was for Moon's sake. That, or maybe he's trying to make up for your box experience by offering up some halfway decent names. Before you know it, a pile of orange-scrawled paper rectangles has grown between Moon and her mum.

"Hey, Daddy, why don't you pick the name from the pile?" Moon runs over to her father but stops short when she sees you. You stand, stretch, and yawn, with both eyes on her.

Her face crumples.

"No problem!" Andre jumps up to take Moon's hand and lead her back to the pile of names. You lift your head, attempting to get a better look at what fate is about to offer you.

As it turns out, you didn't need to worry. Andre, still apologetic for keeping you locked up, picks out something you actually like. He holds up the paper with your new name on it. It says:

-Fuzzy.
-Buffy.
-Stinky.
-Pip.
-Let me type what Andre chose.

Yes, there are some names generated. But they're random every time and I didn't feel like playing this sequence through multiple times to figure them all out. So we'll just magically add Morgana to the names...

quote:

"Morgana it is," Andre says, turning toward you.

Moon repeats the name over and over in a singsong voice. You now realize that no matter how good a name is, it will sound completely silly if sung by a four-year-old child.

"Now that Morgana has a name, you can make friends," says Claire, eyeing you with some amount of caution. "Right, hon? What do you say?"

Moon shakes her head and twists the bottom of her T-shirt.

"How about if I hold her and you pat her?" offers Claire, moving toward you.

Your own opinion of this idea has not been considered, you note, as you sniff the maroon upholstery of the couch. Any kind of meeting requires the agreement of two parties, does it not? Claire reaches for you.

-Take a swipe at her: the foolproof way to say, "I'm not befriending a four-year-old."
-Grit my teeth and generously let Claire offer me up as a learning aid for kids.
-Dash under the furniture. I have a premonition that it's safer than being her friend.

Ok, so we now have our name. Now to decide how we react to the small human larvae. Do we:

1. Take a swipe at her: the foolproof way to say, "I'm not befriending a four-year-old."
2. Grit my teeth and generously let Claire offer me up as a learning aid for kids.
3. Dash under the furniture. I have a premonition that it's safer than being her friend.

quote:

Contempt: 55% Affection: 45%
Audacious: 52% Cautious: 48%
Manipulative: 54% Demanding: 46%
Feral: 53% Domesticated: 47%
Logical: 50% Intuitive: 50%
Andre's Dislike: 39% Andre's Like: 61%

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kids suck. Dash under furniture.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Fleeeeeeeee

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Never trust a little kid with a cat.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Endure the brutish pettings from the infant. Should we survive long enough, we need Moon properly educated in the ways of ear scritches.

Sigh. She's probably pronouncing it 'Morgaga' too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Grit our teeth and endure

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Grit those teeth!...and hope she doesn't button mash

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Run away!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Grit my teeth and generously let Claire offer me up as a learning aid for kids..

velixsiol
Mar 23, 2015
Sound the retreat

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Endurance is key!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Well, no one wanted to swipe at Claire, which I think is a good thing? But we have a tie with 5 each for enduring Moon's petting and diving under the furniture. So once again, it is time for online Coin Flip! Heads for enduring and tails for diving. And it's...tails! Together, we dive!

quote:

Your sudden mad dash makes Moon wail. It's high pitched but short lived, thanks to Andre's intervention.

"So much for that idea," he says with a laugh. "Looks like Morgana has had enough for one day."

As Moon clutches her father's shirt with both fists, Claire gets down on all fours. Her cropped hair bobs into your view as she scopes out where you are. You inch back farther into shadow, hoping you look difficult to extract.

"Andre, would you mind taking Moon upstairs for a while?" Claire suggests with real caring in her voice. "Morgana might be a bit…you know, disturbed. Especially given her history. Let's give her a bit of peace and quiet."

Your ears swivel, homing in on Claire as she picks up the scraps of paper and hands them to Andre to throw away. She strokes her daughter's hair before ushering them both from the room.

With the door shut behind them, Claire struggles out of her now not-so-immaculate jacket, unzips her skirt a bit, and massages her temples. Letting out a long deep breath, she pads on bare feet toward the couch. She flops into it like her bones have gone liquid. She lets out a sigh of contentment.

Well, it looks like our history wasn't the best, but at least our new trainees aren't mad that we wanted to hide. Now to see what's up with Claire.

quote:

"And they're gone." Claire's voice has a new tone to it, slightly more ragged and less honeyed. "That was as much for me as for you, Morgana," you hear her say, as she makes herself comfy. The upholstery of the sofa creaks a little.

You peer outward from your safe place, creeping slowly forward with your nose to the carpet. It smells like fake vanilla, and powdery. You emerge into the open to take in the whole room. The luxury of this place is certainly not lost on you. Even the wood of the coffee table matches the walnut inlays on the furniture. The furniture itself matches the curtains—the whole room a meticulous harmony of maroon and cream and wood. You wonder what it is these two do to have managed such a comfortable place.

"Shall I tell you about my day?" Claire mumbles from the couch. She is, in fact, talking to you. "My day was terrible. I lost support from Baska for the party-leadership campaign. Can you believe that? She was the one who put me forward!"

For a moment you wonder if she might really want a reply, but you figure it's more a rhetorical tirade.

"If I didn't have Magda on PR, I think I'd chuck politics altogether. You have no idea what reporters will do with your words, Morgana." She shakes her head, her tidy, androgynous crop growing ever more hedgehoggy now that she can relax. "Seriously, it's an all-out war now that Helen has resigned. After today, I wouldn't be surprised if Baska plans to run for the leadership herself."

You hear thuds overhead as you listen to unprompted recollections. Andre and Moon are doing whatever it is that people do to amuse their children. It dawns on you that there is also an upstairs to explore. You purr to yourself, and Claire laughs.

"So I'm not the only one who likes the sound of my voice? Fantastic!" She holds out a hand in your direction, in that way humans do when they want you to come to them.

-I'll go to her and show her some affection.
-I'm staying put. I don't respond to human demands unless they benefit me.
-I instinctively leap away from her. I've had enough of humans for now.

Well, it looks like Claire's into politics. Fascinating. Now what will we do if she's the one beckoning us? Do we:

1. I'll go to her and show her some affection.
2. I'm staying put. I don't respond to human demands unless they benefit me.
3. I instinctively leap away from her. I've had enough of humans for now.

quote:

Contempt: 55% Affection: 45%
Audacious: 47% Cautious: 53%
Logical: 45% Intuitive: 55%

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well I guess we can go get some petting

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Show some affection. Claire seems like a sensible minion, we should foster our relationship with her.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go to Claire, get pats.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Get some pets

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Get pets.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Demand food. Why aren't they feeding us we are cat feed the kitty.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Adoration is always welcome, get pets.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
1. I'll go to her and show her some affection. We're going into politics.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Show affection The sooner our human is under our thrall, the sooner we can start the mind control to ENSLAVE TEH MASSES

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

This is the human who understood the badness of keeping us locked in a tiny box. She has earned some of our scent and purrs.

Also the politics angle is intriguing. Is it too late for my input on Brexit? What's that? Incredibly so?

How long was I kept in the box, Andre?

---

So I just bought this game and ran through a few playthroughs. Just in case a bug report is a spoiler:

For some reason, when I've tried to be negative to Claire during this in-game day, most of the score changes go toward her liking the Player Cat more. It's either a bug or a show of her latent masochism, which might explain why Andre is allowed to play with real instruments.

velixsiol
Mar 23, 2015
Get pets.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
VivaLa Eeveelution: Thanks for bringing that up, I wasn't aware of that. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any problems.

Well, the new year is almost here and this run is getting more attention than I anticipated. Because of this, I'm considering moving my update schedule to every other day instead of Wednesdays and Saturdays. Let me know if you think this is a good idea! Anyways, the vote was almost unanimous with 10 for getting pets, 1 for staying put, and none for fleeing. So now we move on!

quote:

"You and I are going to get along fine," Claire says. "Good puss."

You suck up the free strokes and amp up the purring, twisting your head and then rolling onto your back to take maximum advantage of her skillful massage.

"So, that was my day, dearest Morgana. Welcome to the life of a minority-party MP. This could bore you to tears!" Claire laughs dryly and relays more detail on this Baska woman—an animal-rights campaigner, as Claire declares herself to be. What with that and a lust for power, they seem to have some common ground. Your mind goes into opportunist mode.

A local MP. Hmm. Running for leadership. No wonder this place is so nice. No wonder Claire has such expensive and fashionably uncomfortable clothes. The strange gift of suddenly having prospects is not lost on you at all.

Cats can do anything if they just try hard enough, or so the saying goes. It seemed like the brainless platitude it was when you lived in a garbage bin, but this place…if you can swing it so the humans like you, you could well be set for life. Just imagine what you might do if this woman got more power.

The sun pushes in through the bay windows, and you curl up in a ball of warm contentment. Claire continues talking, and you're actually enjoying the sound of her voice, aided by the knowledge that you're now a cat with options. Maybe even a cat with opportunities! You fall asleep, dreaming of:

-Goose-liver pâté.
-Those expensive faux-yogurt drops for cats.
-Sharing a burger with Axl Rose.
-World domination…and also confit of duck.

Oh, this vote is one I've been anticipating. What are our tastes as a cat? Are they:
1. Goose-liver pâté.
2. Those expensive faux-yogurt drops for cats.
3. Sharing a burger with Axl Rose.
4. World domination…and also confit of duck.

quote:

Contempt: 50% Affection: 50%
Audacious: 47% Cautious: 53%
Logical: 45% Intuitive: 55%
Claire's Dislike: 41% Claire's Like: 59%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I like World Domination.

In favor of more updates, but don't be afraid to cut back if your schedule demands.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

4. World domination…and also confit of duck.

Oi, this vote is rigged!

Voting for Cat-zilla!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Every cat wants to rule the world.

• Locked thread