Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
This entire loving film feels like some Conservative MAGA Chud's masturbatory fantasy. The non-white character is literally just there so the writers can say theyre Totally Not Racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I see somebody never watched American Sniper.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember liking that movie when it came out but thinking back on what I remember of it now, yeah, that's a real fuckin' racist as gently caress movie. To be fair I have been cleansed of the disease of liberal brain-worms since then

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Race Realists posted:

How did David Ayer's 'End of Watch' not cause a shitstorm?

Cause not everyone is a dumb whiny bitch.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Cause not everyone is a dumb whiny bitch.:smug:
:goonsay:

i enjoyed the part where the cop earned the respect of the black people by fighting a Black Thug

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Uh... that's uh... really interesting message to get from that movie.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
You know what part of this movie absolutely rules? When the cops ask Big Evil why he's called Big Evil, and he replies that it's because, "My evil's big"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

You know what part of this movie absolutely rules? When the cops ask Big Evil why he's called Big Evil, and he replies that it's because, "My evil's big"

Best part of the movie easily

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That line's great, and so is the part where the one cop's wife recommends rear end play to keep things interesting to the newlyweds.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It didn't cause a shitstorm because Hollywood and TV are already absolutely saturated with copaganda and troop worship, and frankly EOW is one of the less egregious offenders.

Jenny Angel posted:

"Cause I'm a big fan of Biker Undertaker"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
End of Watch rules, and the only way to come away from it as a MAGA prototype is to ignore that it's straightforwardly depicting police culture as ineffectual, and as precisely the obverse of the very criminal forces they ostensibly control.

Like, the whole point of Zavala earning Tre's respect is that all pretenses of legal authority are thrown out the window. What matters is power - the police are a gang. You see the same process at work in paralleling Taylor documenting his life with the Sinaloa documenting their own. The police accomplish nothing. Sure, they do good things, like rescuing people from fires, or freeing victims of human trafficking, and for that they get a medal. But the problem is that this fetishistic valorization of police misdirects from endemic poverty and class struggle. The police are not fighting to stop gangs, they are the gang which acts as a buffer between the ghetto and the gated community.

There is no un-ironic way to have your police characters blasting loving Public Enemy as their anthem. The point is that the very same music cultures that were once intensely critical of police have been thoroughly co-opted by them. The incendiary, anti-authoritarian rhetoric and honor culture of mainstream hip hop is right at home in contemporary police culture.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

K. Waste posted:

End of Watch rules, and the only way to come away from it as a MAGA prototype is to ignore that it's straightforwardly depicting police culture as ineffectual, and as precisely the obverse of the very criminal forces they ostensibly control.

Like, the whole point of Zavala earning Tre's respect is that all pretenses of legal authority are thrown out the window. What matters is power - the police are a gang. You see the same process at work in paralleling Taylor documenting his life with the Sinaloa documenting their own. The police accomplish nothing. Sure, they do good things, like rescuing people from fires, or freeing victims of human trafficking, and for that they get a medal. But the problem is that this fetishistic valorization of police misdirects from endemic poverty and class struggle. The police are not fighting to stop gangs, they are the gang which acts as a buffer between the ghetto and the gated community.

There is no un-ironic way to have your police characters blasting loving Public Enemy as their anthem. The point is that the very same music cultures that were once intensely critical of police have been thoroughly co-opted by them. The incendiary, anti-authoritarian rhetoric and honor culture of mainstream hip hop is right at home in contemporary police culture.

Yeah

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mahoning posted:

I see somebody never watched American Sniper.

Or 13 Hours.

Though the main problem with that movie is that it's loving BORING holy poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love how "losing a partner" has almost become fetishized in movies like this. Cop partners in movies exist in the same place as Frank Castle's family before he becomes the Punisher. They're the excuse the "protagonist" (for lack of a better term) is looking for to justify their later (usually abhorrent) actions.

E: the problem with End of Watch is we never really see the repercussions of losing his partner other than a cliche teary-eyed eulogy. We never get to see what kind of piece of poo poo he becomes after becoming jaded, or a moroseful reluctant who recognizes the futility of the war the cops wage on the streets (lol yeah right, BIG EVIL is always out there waiting, in the minds of cops).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 12, 2017

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The found footage thing in End of Watch sucked rear end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gargamel Gibson posted:

To hell with this.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So what WAS the worst major Hollywood film in the AMERICA gently caress YEAH :911::fh: genre since 9/11?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm gonna agree with Gargamel, that poo poo sucked

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's basically the only thing justifying the movie's existence so I'd have to disagree.

sean10mm posted:

So what WAS the worst major Hollywood film in the AMERICA gently caress YEAH :911::fh: genre since 9/11?

I can't imagine anything beating American Sniper, just because of Eastwood's name attached to it and the extent to which it lionized a guy who was a well documented psycho. Also that scene with the fake baby.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's basically the only thing justifying the movie's existence so I'd have to disagree.

if your buddy cop movie's so flimsy that it needs such gimmickry to justify its existence maybe it needed a rewrite.

also it's just rear end ugly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

American Sniper, nothing else approaches it.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To hell with this.

I can't imagine End of Watch without the near unbearably adorable interlude with Anna Kendrick's personal recordings. That alone should throw some serious side-eye to this whole "Michael Pena acts in a MAGA chud dream" thing.

Also wanna cosign everything K. Waste wrote. Ayer's films are deeply suspicious of the motivations of power in military and government, making a straight-up apocalyptic horror film with horrible people in Fury and casting the whole US government as the villain in Suicide Squad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Also wanna cosign everything K. Waste wrote. Ayer's films are deeply suspicious of the motivations of power in military and government, making a straight-up apocalyptic horror film with horrible people in Fury and casting the whole US government as the villain in Suicide Squad.

The purported villain in Suicide Squad taps into the real villain's brain and destroys the NSA in two seconds.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Is American Sniper more terrible for its politics/lionization of a huge scumbag, or because it's just a poo poo-rear end movie? I never saw it.

I seem to vaguely recall that 13 Hours was marketed with the implied message that it would tell THE REAL STORY OF HOW KILLARY KLINTON DID BENGHAZI or something, but it didn't actually do that beyond some very generic "POLITICIANS DON'T GET IT, MAAAAN" whining. Instead it was just the most dull retread of Black Hawk Down you can possibly imagine, with even more flat and boring and undeveloped characters. Which is saying a lot.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

E: the problem with End of Watch is we never really see the repercussions of losing his partner other than a cliche teary-eyed eulogy. We never get to see what kind of piece of poo poo he becomes after becoming jaded, or a moroseful reluctant who recognizes the futility of the war the cops wage on the streets (lol yeah right, BIG EVIL is always out there waiting, in the minds of cops).
It's interesting that Rampart was released 6 months earlier. End of Watch is practically a prequel.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

sean10mm posted:

I seem to vaguely recall that 13 Hours was marketed with the implied message that it would tell THE REAL STORY OF HOW KILLARY KLINTON DID BENGHAZI or something

This never happened. What happened was people saw it was a Michael Bay movie, and then treated that like the first blank in a bad faith madlib.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Speaking of, that HORSE SOLDIERS movie looks hilarious. Conservatives already hate it because Michael Shannon is in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Is American Sniper more terrible for its politics/lionization of a huge scumbag, or because it's just a poo poo-rear end movie? I never saw it.

I was going into it prepared to play devil's advocate, but no, it's just kind of a half-formed movie. Bradley Cooper's not bad all things considered, but it's a strong example of a biopic that can't figure out how to shape someone's life into a film narrative.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

K. Waste posted:

This never happened. What happened was people saw it was a Michael Bay movie, and then treated that like the first blank in a bad faith madlib.

Ehhhh

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/15/benghazi-attack-film-13-hours-targets-conservative-audiences

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Targeting conservative outlets and networks to advertise a film is a far cry from actively steering a narrative. Any film that even nominally involves the military or law enforcement, especially 'true events' stories, you can expect to have advertisement targeted to conservative demographics.

As for whether or not there was any evidence that the advertisements played on or implied right-wing or anti-Clinton conspiracy theories, the answer is still no, nothing of the sort happened. Even the article you posted makes absolutely no mention of anything that filmmakers or distributors have done to specifically 'fuel paranoia and hate' and 'cue Fox News viewers to hiss at the phantom of Hillary Clinton.' That's just some bullshit from their own review which, surprise surprise, is also not referring to anything specifically in the film, but is referring to an subject supposed to enjoy, who already thinks these things are true, and therefore what's in the film or advertisement actually doesn't matter.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Can't wait to read OPs take on Elite Squad.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I've gone on multiple deployments to the Middle East. The one thing in American Sniper that rings true is him sitting at a bar, needing a drink before he goes home after coming back for the Nth time. The deployed environment and life back in the States might as well be two different planets and the more times you do it, the more alien life at home feels. The rest of the movie was too overwrought, but that small scene had a lot of truth in it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of, that HORSE SOLDIERS movie looks hilarious. Conservatives already hate it because Michael Shannon is in it.

Conservatives hate Michael Shannon? He's the one great actor that immaculately captures their plight (of being miserable piece of poo poo human beings).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Conservatives hate Michael Shannon? He's the one great actor that immaculately captures their plight (of being miserable piece of poo poo human beings).

He said, paraphrasing, "(old) Trump supporters need to just hurry up and die."

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
"As for young Trump supporters," Shannon continued at a press conference earlier today, "I can help them along," he said, casting aside his obsolete battle armor and rising into the air unaided.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

K. Waste posted:

But the problem is that this fetishistic valorization of police misdirects from endemic poverty and class struggle.

the problem with this is that the film does a frankly AWFUL job of the Sinaloa in terms of characterization: They have NO character, NO real motivation other than scary brown bad people. The video segments of them only proved my point. Maybe explain WHY the scary brown bad people are doing the bad thing?

hilarious enough i feel like New Jack City did a slightly better job? :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 13, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Race Realists posted:

the problem with this is that the film does a frankly AWFUL job of the Sinaloa in terms of characterization: They have NO character, NO real motivation other than scary brown bad people. The video segments of them only proved my point. Maybe explain WHY the scary brown bad people are doing the bad thing?

Well that's a really dumb question and conclusion. Why is this cartel engaging in drug trade and human trafficking? It must be because they're brown! It's not like money or power come into play at all, or like we're shown brown people who are police or civilians.

You are conflating the film depicting human traffickers and gangsters as bad people, with the film implying that the cause of this problem is illegal immigration from South and Central America. In actuality, the film doesn't address immigration at all. It straightforwardly presents poor people of color as the exclusive victims of criminal exploitation, and the police force as ineffectual in addressing these socioeconomic problems.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I hate the MAGAs and reactionary politics generally, but still liked "End of Watch" quite a bit. I never really saw its politics as particularly right-wing.

But then again, I like movies about corrupt police, street violence, social decay, and all the rest, even when the politics are reactionary. Because I just enjoy the hell out of the police and crime films and lit. It's a genre that is almost insistently conservative and backward-looking, and I generally just shut my progressive brain off when watching them. And besides, the ugliness is really part of the appeal. I don't think I could sit down and read a James Ellroy novel with my political filters on, or gods forbid, even earlier police fiction. I'd probably end up throwing it in the garbage.

"End of Watch" is a tight little genre exercise, nothing too special or transcendent, but one that hits all the right beats. I enjoyed it. TL;DR: my enjoyment of movies is not contingent on politics.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Race Realists posted:

It's because they're cool as hell, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Well that's a really dumb question and conclusion. Why is this cartel engaging in drug trade and human trafficking? It must be because they're brown! It's not like money or power come into play at all, or like we're shown brown people who are police or civilians.

I meant the actual antagonists, not just their afflication. Like, what MADE them want to seek the power the comes with being in the Drug Game? Do they have any families? Any other method of employment?:iiam:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 13, 2017

• Locked thread