Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol can you imagine being the type of person who needs bookends to keep their books upright because your library doesn’t take up the whole shelf, several other shelves and spill over onto the floor to form towering stacks that will one day topple and pin you down, helpless while your pet cats feast on your flesh while you’re still alive?

Just lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
who the gently caress owns or reads books in 2017?

Me. I've been reading a 1960's published illustrated gardening encyclopedia and it is cool as poo poo

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I'm starting a movement; If they have bookends in their home, DON'T gently caress them! Just leave.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I burn every book i have ever read to deny the knowledge from my enemies, op

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

I burn every book i have ever read to deny the knowledge from my enemies, op
You're gonna owe one hell of a late fee at the library!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
What a bunch of loving pieces of poo poo OP. Very glad they will someday all be DEAD!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

You're gonna owe one hell of a late fee at the library!

:flame: what library

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Right OP? Who even reads books nowadays *reads several pages of threads on dead gay forum*

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

book||||||end

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Some shelves don't have have an organic end stop, like a fireplace for in-stince.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I guess they are decorative or practical.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My dad used to make intricate folk art bookends to sell in the small town secondhand bookstore we owned when I was young. Somehow we never kept any though and now I miss them.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I have bookends. Mainly because I have unenclosed shelves mounted on the walls of my bedroom, and I use them to keep the books from tumbling off the ends. Also, the shelves in my library are totally full, with several hundred books on the floor, and the bookends help hold the books up that are on the tops of the shelves. We have roughly 175 linear feet of bookshelf, and maybe 10 or 12 book ends. The utilitarian library-style ones, for the most part.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sexy rock bookend

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Other side

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

What else are you going to bludgeon your loves ones with when they inexplicably transform into otherworldly demons?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

What else are you going to bludgeon your loves ones with when they inexplicably transform into otherworldly demons?

I had a round prickly cactus on a table in my bedroom I planned on hurling at robbers if I had a break in for years.

Never had to use it, thank goodness.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Spinster posted:

I had a round prickly cactus on a table in my bedroom I planned on hurling at robbers if I had a break in for years.

Never had to use it, thank goodness.
That's a good idea, but you should up the ante by having a gympie gympie in a pot suspended from the ceiling that you swing in the direction of robbers and duck when it swings back your way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

That's a good idea, but you should up the ante by having a gympie gympie in a pot suspended from the ceiling that you swing in the direction of robbers and duck when it swings back your way.
Brb pitching "Home Alone in Australia" to Netflix.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

any goons that want to try this out please do it in a croc skin vest and leather hat with croc teeth round its band.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i keep soem books on a shelf that if i didnt have book ends the books would fall all over the floor <:mad:>

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i keep soem books on a shelf that if i didnt have book ends the books would fall all over the floor <:mad:>
those sound like some real dumb books

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gary oldmans diary posted:

those sound like some real dumb books
DID YOU JUST CALL ROBERT LUDLUM'S BOURNE SERIES DUMB??????

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If your books didn't have ends you'd never be done reading them! Haha just kidding gently caress book ends use a rock or something who gives a poo poo.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

DID YOU JUST CALL ROBERT LUDLUM'S BOURNE SERIES DUMB??????
never but maybe if they were smarter they wouldnt fall over

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I inherited two matching bookends from my grandfather. They're two wooden men sorta hunched over with their hands behind them touching the books. I always thought they were depicting Sisyphus carrying his burden or something, but imagine my surprise when i looked at them more closely: they are in fact goatse-men spreading their cheeks to the poor book behind. Turns out grandad was pretty loving insane towards the end.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Icochet posted:

I inherited two matching bookends from my grandfather. They're two wooden men sorta hunched over with their hands behind them touching the books. I always thought they were depicting Sisyphus carrying his burden or something, but imagine my surprise when i looked at them more closely: they are in fact goatse-men spreading their cheeks to the poor book behind. Turns out grandad was pretty loving insane towards the end.

PICS

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bookends are not for shelves op, they're for your headboard or your living room drink rail or your counter or wherever you need to store excess books that is not actually a bookshelf, hope this helps your sad semiliterate rear end out in the future

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I had brass cat bookends, but the ex took all my brass animals :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've worked at a bookstore, and bookends are essential to keeping your books organized. Do not listen to the OP's lies.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I keep my books chained to the bookshelf so smelly peasants don't run off with the illuminated manuscripts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i had so many books i became a librarian

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

There's no way i'm G-bombing people in a thread about a classy topic like bookends.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

What's an audiobook version of a bookend? Is it the audiobook player app/program or the device its on?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One of my ex's got me a STAR WARS bookend that was essentially:

ST|||||||||||||||||||||||||||AR
WA|||||||||||||||||||||||||||RS

We had been dating for maybe a year and a bit and even then I wondered why the hell would you get me something like that, sure I love the Star Wars movies but I didn't need such a useless thing. Thing was pretty expensive too like $60+ and of course it doesn't fit on any shelves and I already have multiple bookshelves solely for books.

And if I didn't use it she got upset because she spent so much money on it. Just blew my mind that someone would spend so much money on such a useless gift and then get mad at someone else for not liking it because it was a thoughtless gift.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
If you hate bookends, you need better bookends.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I'm looking at my wife's writing desk right now and just like since the day I met her it has a single unmatched bookend on it. Just sitting there, holding nothing. I think she's trying to quietly drive me crazy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol books thats a good one OP!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon posted:

One of my ex's got me a STAR WARS bookend that was essentially:

ST|||||||||||||||||||||||||||AR
WA|||||||||||||||||||||||||||RS

We had been dating for maybe a year and a bit and even then I wondered why the hell would you get me something like that, sure I love the Star Wars movies but I didn't need such a useless thing. Thing was pretty expensive too like $60+ and of course it doesn't fit on any shelves and I already have multiple bookshelves solely for books.

And if I didn't use it she got upset because she spent so much money on it. Just blew my mind that someone would spend so much money on such a useless gift and then get mad at someone else for not liking it because it was a thoughtless gift.

Only $60+? I'm gonna get those and place only my star wars novel trilogy between them on the living room table. It'll really tie the room together and any visitors will think i'm cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Icochet posted:

Only $60+? I'm gonna get those and place only my star wars novel trilogy between them on the living room table. It'll really tie the room together and any visitors will think i'm cool.

I assure you that not even that will make visitors think you're cool

• Locked thread