Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Triple post: If I understand the podcast correctly, picks will be allowed up until the main event. So the strategy here is that you could pick some really high handicap guys because if they qualify in, you're basically guaranteed X number of points based on their handicap. There may be some "easy points" if someone really surprising qualifies.

My man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

http://racerxonline.com/2018/01/19/anaheim-2-lcqs-will-be-part-of-race-day-live-broadcast

double post

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
ughhhhh. Trying not to pick too many all-stars so I can get the sweet, sweet double points. PulpMX guys are jerks for making a bunch of guys with very attractive handicaps all stars.

Christian Craig - ALL-STAR 4 Handicap
Justin Cooper 4 Handicap
Hayden Mellross 6 Handicap
Phillip Nicoletti 4 Handicap

Adam Enticknap 13 Handicap
Vince Friese 5 Handicap
Aj Catanzaro 13 Handicap
Ken Roczen ALL-STAR 1 Handicap

Lap 1
Savatgy and Roczen. I think this is the week that Roczen pulls it all together and it won't hurt that Tomac is recovering from injury (but if he's recovered I wouldn't be shocked to see him go 1-1-1 with three holeshots and double middle fingers in the air during every triple) and Musquin is maybe out as well. Savatgy seems like the obvious pick for three shots at a lap one leader (if not a race winner).

Buuut... my picks still aren't saving. What the gently caress, pulpmx.

e: using safari, chrome or explorer... just keep getting the little rotating circle on the webpage that indicates it's working.

e2: it recognizes when I try to save my team with not-enough dudes so I don't know what's going on.

builds character fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 20, 2018

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

Buuut... my picks still aren't saving. What the gently caress, pulpmx.

e: using safari, chrome or explorer... just keep getting the little rotating circle on the webpage that indicates it's working.

e2: it recognizes when I try to save my team with not-enough dudes so I don't know what's going on.

On the dashboard in the upper right is a general chat. Marx seems pretty quick to respond in there.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Ac92 and Mitchell Harrison apparently had hard get offs in qualifying today, might hurt them in the night show.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Ac92 and Mitchell Harrison apparently had hard get offs in qualifying today, might hurt them in the night show.

Apparently they're both racing. Changed my pics a bit. Looks like Weimer isn't racing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If Tomac fucks up/cuts a brake hose/drops his pants this time, I swear to god I'm not picking him for the rest of the year.

Also this scoring system is pretty questionable cause I somehow beat all you guys last week despite not having a clue.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Finally got it to work on mobile Firefox...

Craig
Melross
Nicoletti
Auberson

Tomac
Roczen
Frieze
A Ray

Savatgy and Tomac

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

If Tomac fucks up/cuts a brake hose/drops his pants this time, I swear to god I'm not picking him for the rest of the year.

Also this scoring system is pretty questionable cause I somehow beat all you guys last week despite not having a clue.

Whenever you end up not picking him is when he’ll start his run. Then you’ll pick him, he’ll do something stupid and the next week you won’t be able to pick him again and will be mad and he’ll go on another run.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Get off the track, Ralph

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Great racing, too much time between races.

Plessinger and Barcia both had bad nights. Yut oh.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Great racing, too much time between races.

Plessinger and Barcia both had bad nights. Yut oh.

Roczen's night wasn't particularly great either.

I'm starting to get the hang of this a little. Step one, if a top 3 rider is not an all-star, then choose them. Tomac this weekend. Your all-stars are actually less important because they never get double points. Step two, uh, I guess get everything right in 250s? Not sure how that happened.

Friese and A. Ray both just missed out on getting into the top ten (and double points) with their handicaps. I guess maybe I was reaching there?

Craig worth as much to me as Savatgy was with a 4 handicap, but not an all-star. Hayden Mellross though, with a 6 handicap finishing in 7th was worth a ton of points. It's weird that you get double points for picking him over picking Savatgy, but I guess that's the whole point of pulpmx fantasy. Even Killian Auberson paid off for me (sort of) with his 10 handicap bringing him up to 8th and making him eligible for double points.

450 seems like Anderson's to lose, but it's pretty early yet and Roczen showed that, you know, he's still better. Until main 3 anyway. I'm curious to see how Tomac reacts to that and if it makes him better or just piles on the pressure and sees him implode. If Musquin can come back and battle Tomac for first the rest of the year, I could see Anderson getting third. Which would have to be frustrating for him. I just have a hard time believing that he's the top guy, but maybe this is his year. Same for Seely. Is he really the second best guy or have Musquin and Tomac just not been racing? (it's the latter)

250 is great this year so far. I think any of the top 5 guys could win.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I didn't get to watch live so I can't comment on the large gaps between races, but I really dig the format, it was a nice way to mix things up I think. Sucks for Seely that he couldn't capitalize, but it also seemed like the track didn't have much in the way of places where people could make up a lot of time, like whoops or big rhythms.

I was really surprised that Tomac won (btw he'll still not be an allstar next week so you could pick him if you didn't this week), but also he was one of the few guys that seemed to be able to make his way up through the field. I was kind of hoping to see some whacky results, but I guess Brayton getting 4th was pretty close.

Picking the 1st lap leaders was huge this week (and I was able to pick Tomac), I got +30 for that. I can't imagine trying that again until another triple crown round. I haven't figured out my scoring breakdown yet and it looks like the results aren't up yet.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

I didn't get to watch live so I can't comment on the large gaps between races, but I really dig the format, it was a nice way to mix things up I think. Sucks for Seely that he couldn't capitalize, but it also seemed like the track didn't have much in the way of places where people could make up a lot of time, like whoops or big rhythms.

I was really surprised that Tomac won (btw he'll still not be an allstar next week so you could pick him if you didn't this week), but also he was one of the few guys that seemed to be able to make his way up through the field. I was kind of hoping to see some whacky results, but I guess Brayton getting 4th was pretty close.

Picking the 1st lap leaders was huge this week (and I was able to pick Tomac), I got +30 for that. I can't imagine trying that again until another triple crown round. I haven't figured out my scoring breakdown yet and it looks like the results aren't up yet.

Results are up so the lazy man, me, can look at his points breakdown. drat I killed it this week, I was 20th site-wide. Aside from Vince Friese, all my guys scored 26+ points and I picked the two max-points guys (mellross and tomac) and the two lap 1 leaders.

250:
Oldenburg *: 26
Starling: 26
Mellross: 52
Ramos: 36

450:
Tomac: 52
Friese: 11
Brayton: 26
Tedder: 28

Lap 1 leaders +30 (Savatgy, Tomac)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Results are up so the lazy man, me, can look at his points breakdown. drat I killed it this week, I was 20th site-wide. Aside from Vince Friese, all my guys scored 26+ points and I picked the two max-points guys (mellross and tomac) and the two lap 1 leaders.

250:
Oldenburg *: 26
Starling: 26
Mellross: 52
Ramos: 36

450:
Tomac: 52
Friese: 11
Brayton: 26
Tedder: 28

Lap 1 leaders +30 (Savatgy, Tomac)

3 Christian Craig* 32 4 26
7 Hayden Mellross 63 6 52
9 Phillip Nicoletti 54 4 36
18 Killian Auberson 902 10 30

1 Eli Tomac* 3 1 52
9 Ken Roczen 94 1 15
17 Vince Friese 55 5 11
20 Alex Ray 91 9 12

Lap 1 Leaders + 30 (Savatgy, Tomac)

That's what I get for picking Roczen and A Ray as well as Friese. Still ended up with 264 points which was good enough for 216th overall, which is definitely a personal best and my high point of the season (as you'll all no doubt see over the next fee weeks). But it's no 20th.

Looks like the best possible team would have been

14 Ryan Breece 217 11 42
19 Chase Marquier 81 16 42
Nicoletti and Ramos were tied so either of them
15 Jean Ramos 992 10 36

1 Eli Tomac 3 1 52
11 Malcolm Stewart 27 4 32
10 Cooper Webb 2 2 30
14 Chad Reed 22 6 30

I never would have picked Webb with a 2 handicap or Reed with a 6 handicap so it's interesting to see them so high in points. Mookie finished an adjusted 7th and Webb and Reed both finished an adjusted 8th. So when you're picking it seems like the best/safest bet is to always pick a non-all star who you're pretty sure with the handicap is going to make the top ten.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

3 Christian Craig* 32 4 26
18 Killian Auberson 902 10 30

1 Eli Tomac* 3 1 52
9 Ken Roczen 94 1 15
17 Vince Friese 55 5 11
20 Alex Ray 91 9 12

Lap 1 Leaders + 30 (Savatgy, Tomac)

That's what I get for picking Roczen and A Ray as well as Friese. Still ended up with 264 points which was good enough for 216th overall, which is definitely a personal best and my high point of the season (as you'll all no doubt see over the next fee weeks). But it's no 20th.

That's a crazy impressive score with having 3/4 of your 450 team not producing. Well done.

Has anyone paid to be eligible for prizes? I haven't, but I think I honestly might at the end of the season if I think I'm going to end up in the top 100 so I can get a pulpmx national number, hahaha...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So how important is the bike/team in this stuff? Some dudes seem to do super well as privateers which to me implies the technical aspect isn't that important, but otoh you have dudes switching manufacturer and getting a big improvement in results. Is there really such a massive leap between, say, a Suzuki and a ktm/husky? Or is that more down to the teams, development funds etc?

Keep in mind my baseline for how bike racing works is bsb and MotoGP.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

So how important is the bike/team in this stuff? Some dudes seem to do super well as privateers which to me implies the technical aspect isn't that important, but otoh you have dudes switching manufacturer and getting a big improvement in results. Is there really such a massive leap between, say, a Suzuki and a ktm/husky? Or is that more down to the teams, development funds etc?

Keep in mind my baseline for how bike racing works is bsb and MotoGP.

This is just my opinion, so keep that in mind.

The most important part by far is the rider. There are only so many guys that can win at the elite level and they could do so on any brand bike. Roczen, for instance, has wins at the 450 level on KTM, Suzuki, and now Honda. I'll say this is 80%. Justin Brayton is a great example of this, too. I'm not saying the motoconcept team is at all bad, it's funded and run by people who love the sport, not there to make money. His Honda I believe has good suspension and limited motor work and he's gone 7 > 6 > 4 this weekend, which is great. He's not in my opinion an 'elite' level guy, but he's for sure on the next tier.

The next most important would be team/funding, though it's hard to quantify because typically the better funded teams are going to have the more elite riders. A "factory" team, you would assume, has the best budget/parts availability/r&d access to support their riders. This accounts for 15% maybe.

The bike, at least in the 450 class, would probably account for 5%. All the 450s from the showroom floor are pretty powerful and you can't even utilize that power on a supercross track anyway. Motor work is typically done to move the power around to suit the rider, but weight savings and suspension is the biggest benefit to the bikes. The 250s on the other hand, brand may play a better role due to the smaller displacement and rules on engine modifications so you're starting point is way more important. But again, for the most part the top-tier teams are going to get the top riders. The outlier this year is the Suzuki squad picked up Justin Hill, who is doing terribly. I don't think it's all the bike by any means. His teammate, Phil Nicolleti, actually beat him at the last race which is laughable compared to what their salarys probably are.

I watched a little of MotoGP this year and I was really excited by the parity. Trying to draw parallels, I would equate Roczen and Tomac to Marc Marquez purely in terms of speed/talent. I would compare Anderson / Seely / Musquin to maybe Dani Pedrosa, where they're very fast and can win races, but they're 95/100 compared to the freaks of the sport.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Friday team

If Marv races and finishes well he could be a big points guy like Tomac was last week. Tomac is still double points but his handicap is ridiculous (-5), so the most he could get is double points for 6th place (34) assuming he won. Now, that's still pretty tempting if you can pick him, but if he ends up 6th, you're getting points for 11th place.

Roczen seems like a good allstar bet, I fully expect him to be 4th or better. Bagget is another one that looked pretty good, I think he's a +7.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

re: pants gif
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdtY26ShL9C/

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Hot drat that's spicy.

Exciting race this weekend, a couple more laps and Barcia could have won. Holy poo poo. And he apparently made up with Matthes. What is going on in the world?

My fantasy team was not good, the 250s did me in apparently. Ahhh well.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Exciting race this weekend, a couple more laps and Barcia could have won.

When I was watching my jaw was dropped seeing Barcia pick away at Tomac. Unfortunately, every time he closed the gap, he made a mistake and fell back.

The riders kept saying it was a great, but tough track. I'd like more of those!

EDIT: What was the deal with Maitthes n Barcia?

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 29, 2018

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gettin' back to makin' GIFS

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Out in Oakland:
http://racerxonline.com/2018/02/01/injury-report-oakland

450SX
MATT BISCEGLIA — RIBS | OUT
Comment: Bisceglia announced on Thursday he will miss Oakland after breaking "some ribs" in a crash in Glendale. He hopes to return for San Diego.

TYLER ENTICKNAP — PELVIS | OUT
Comment: Enticknap will miss a substantial amount of racing after breaking his pelvis in three places while practicing last week.

JOSH HANSEN — FOOT | TBD
Comment: Hansen raced Red Bull Straight Rhythm after breaking his foot at the Monster Energy Cup, but afterward determined he needed more time off to fully heal. We reached out to his team, but at time of posting hadn’t received an official word on his status for the weekend.

DAVI MILLSAPS — ELBOW, CONCUSSION | OUT
Comment: Millsaps will miss at least the first six races after sustaining a bad concussion and fractured left elbow at the Monster Energy Cup.

250SX
DAKOTA ALIX — THUMB | IN
Comment: It was originally thought Alix would miss a few more races, but he'll be back on the gate in Oakland.

JUSTIN COOPER — RIBS, SHOULDER, CONCUSSION | OUT
Comment: Due to nine broken ribs, a hurt shoulder, and a concussion suffered in Houston, Cooper will miss at least four to six weeks.

AUSTIN FORKNER — WRIST, COLLARBONE | OUT
Comment: Forkner broke his collarbone in November but is busy preparing for the 250SX East Region season opener.

ALEX MARTIN — SHOULDER | IN
Comment: Martin crashed at A1 and sustained a hairline fracture to his collarbone. He’ll make his return to racing this weekend in Oakland.

COLT NICHOLS — ARM | OUT
Comment: Nichols will be ready for the 250SX East Region after breaking his upper arm in mid-December.

JAYCE PENNINGTON — SCAPHOID | OUT
Comment: Pennington is expected to be ready to for the 250SX East Region after breaking his scaphoid in December.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here's my man's for this week, at least for now.

:siren: IT'S AN EARLY RACE, FYI :siren:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I had my wife take my picture and send it to the SX hashtag because I'm a nerd:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

that was a hell of a race

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, that was some seriously good racing in both classes. I'm surprised Plessinger was even able to stand on the podium.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This was the first thing I thought of when coming to this thread. Not disappointed. His face was all messed up, too.

Pretty rad night of racing, I really thought Kenny was going to come out with the win, especially with Anderson going sideways over the whoops on the last lap. DAMNIT.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

I had my wife take my picture and send it to the SX hashtag because I'm a nerd:

I don’t want to be a jerk about this, but... where’s your real helmet and your jersey? I don’t see a single ridiculously bright color, let alone an energy drink sponsor.

Look, it’s even on closeout! https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1470/66253/Fly-Racing-Kinetic-Rockstar-Jersey-2017

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

This was the first thing I thought of when coming to this thread. Not disappointed. His face was all messed up, too.

Pretty rad night of racing, I really thought Kenny was going to come out with the win, especially with Anderson going sideways over the whoops on the last lap. DAMNIT.

Yeah, who wants Anderson to win?

No one.

El Hombre? WTF is that?

I wanted Barcia to keep his run going, but sadly, no. Marv had a good night, but people need to shut down Anderson ASAP is they want a title chance.

Tomac is ded.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

WWE commentator on SX highlights from Oakland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuSqucXpTg

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cole seely has an even bigger, brighter bridesmaid's dress than dovizioso I swear to god. Anderson seems to be leading by attrition some, he doesn't strike me as being particularly great, everyone else is just tripping over their own laces.

Also I missed a round of picks and now my season is hosed :saddowns:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Cole seely has an even bigger, brighter bridesmaid's dress than dovizioso I swear to god. Anderson seems to be leading by attrition some, he doesn't strike me as being particularly great, everyone else is just tripping over their own laces.

Also I missed a round of picks and now my season is hosed :saddowns:

At the end they’re going to drop everyone’s lowest race results. Because of log-in issues at the first race.

Anderson beating Roczen was pretty good for him. He has to be a serious favorite to win at this point with choking. Again. Even if he just Diesels out the rest of the year.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I dreamt last night that I had a new Alta redshift and I couldn't ride it :( I wish I had $10k that my wife didn't know about.

It's possible that Anderson can win this championship, but his no fucks given riding style can also be a liability. He could have a big crash, or, if his passes continue to be aggressive, it may not be tolerated by some riders.

He deserved the win, but if it were a track that wasn't broken down so badly, he could not have sliced through the pack so quickly, nor would have Roczen made so many mistakes out front. Matthes said Kenny thought no one was doing the big 3-3-2 rhythms anymore so he stopped doing them, which also helped. I'm not making excuses for him, he's riding smart and taking a 2nd vs wrecking like everyone else in the field was smart for Kenny, even if more credit is due to Anderson stepping up than Kenny backing down.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Did you guys think Barcia took out Tomac? I keep hearing that, but even after reviewing the footage, it looks like Tomac began his crash before Barcian whipped it around.

Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ame4sOPaYD0&t=48s

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Did you guys think Barcia took out Tomac? I keep hearing that, but even after reviewing the footage, it looks like Tomac began his crash before Barcian whipped it around.

Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ame4sOPaYD0&t=48s

I'm with you, looked like Tomac was expecting a big shunt that never came, though I do think there was some minor contact. Years ago there was a similar pass with the JS7 on Villopoto, I don't think they ever touched but it looked like the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Milsaps announced he's retiring today :(

Bummed for him. He was a genuine fast dude and if he were healthy and racing this year, he absolutely could have been a top 5/podium guy especially those triple crown rounds. There were rumors that Yamaha was paying out his contract to make room for Barcia, didn't think it would also be because of this.

• Locked thread