Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaximusCraptaculous
Apr 20, 2008

If you mess this up, so help me GOD I will rip your balls off with my bare hands!
WITH MY BARE HANDS GOD DAMN YOU!!
Stuff

MaximusCraptaculous fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

MaximusCraptaculous posted:

lying your way through MEPS.
Don't.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Does your "friend" like to make bad decisions?

MaximusCraptaculous
Apr 20, 2008

If you mess this up, so help me GOD I will rip your balls off with my bare hands!
Yes

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Does your "friend" like to make bad decisions?

Did you read the OP? He's trying to go back in after 10 years out, of course he makes bad decisions

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Get documentation and get a waiver. It does take a while... not as long as you'll hate life for reenlisting after ten years, though.

I personally didn't lie about anything for mine. I was going for a job that required a TS so I didn't want to have any discrepancies with my history of anxiety and seeing a psychologist. I saw one on and off for years until I was almost 19. I also didn't lie about being allergic to cats, having had asthma as a kid, and getting ingrown toenails sometimes.

I ended up getting two pulmonary function tests done (the one wasn't enough they said), pulled a record for a skin test for the allergies I had done when I was 11 (an actual archived file at the hospital, loads of fun to get), had to schedule with and see a podiatrist who wrote a letter saying my toenails were fine, and then resubmitted all of it with a letter of recommendation from my psychologist saying I was fine, issues were treated and resolved etc. MEPs countered with demanding session notes from the psychologist, he had stopped practicing, his notes were long destroyed, and even on top of that I was a minor for a vast majority of the sessions (ie requires a court order to release). Resubmitted the same documentation and requested a waiver, and received one a few months later for history of anxiety.

It took like eight months, but I sure did enlist, boy oh boy yes I did and let me tell you,

MaximusCraptaculous
Apr 20, 2008

rifles posted:

Get documentation and get a waiver. It does take a while... not as long as you'll hate life for reenlisting after ten years, though.

I personally didn't lie about anything for mine. I was going for a job that required a TS so I didn't want to have any discrepancies with my history of anxiety and seeing a psychologist. I saw one on and off for years until I was almost 19. I also didn't lie about being allergic to cats, having had asthma as a kid, and getting ingrown toenails sometimes.

I ended up getting two pulmonary function tests done (the one wasn't enough they said), pulled a record for a skin test for the allergies I had done when I was 11 (an actual archived file at the hospital, loads of fun to get), had to schedule with and see a podiatrist who wrote a letter saying my toenails were fine, and then resubmitted all of it with a letter of recommendation from my psychologist saying I was fine, issues were treated and resolved etc. MEPs countered with demanding session notes from the psychologist, he had stopped practicing, his notes were long destroyed, and even on top of that I was a minor for a vast majority of the sessions (ie requires a court order to release). Resubmitted the same documentation and requested a waiver, and received one a few months later for history of anxiety.

It took like eight months, but I sure did enlist, boy oh boy yes I did and let me tell you,

I would do the documentation and get a waiver, but i dont think there is one for arthritis, i've read it's an automatic disqualification, even though it seems to be gone. I thought asthma was disqualifying, isnt it? But you got a waiver for it?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Jesus tap dancing Christ your thinking about re-enlisting after 10 years out.

Goddamn.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I refuse to participate in this suicide attempt.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

I would do the documentation and get a waiver, but i dont think there is one for arthritis, i've read it's an automatic disqualification, even though it seems to be gone. I thought asthma was disqualifying, isnt it? But you got a waiver for it?

I proved that I no longer had it via the pulmonary function tests. If you DO have something or a history of something, you have to prove via documentation that it's not going to affect your ability to serve. Like your brain damage for wanting to reenlist after 10 years stop it

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

rifles posted:

I proved that I no longer had it via the pulmonary function tests. If you DO have something or a history of something, you have to prove via documentation that it's not going to affect your ability to serve. Like your brain damage for wanting to reenlist after 10 years stop it

This was a good joke.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

quote:

I will enthusiastically participate in this suicide attempt.

I just spent way too long in DC traffic, and I want to spread some misery around. Also, the idiots thread always needs content.

The medical section of MEPS is staffed by some volunteer retired MDs, 5 or 6 med techs, and an NCIOC who's job is pretty much to walk around in a uniform. They might, just might, give enough of a poo poo to look up your "friend's" military and VA medical record. If your "friend" has that info in there, your "friend's" recruiter will spend some quality time yelling at your "friend" before getting started on the waiver. If it's not in those records, MEPS won't catch it. The only other way they could is if your "friend" picks up a pen and yells OW OW OW THAT poo poo loving HURTS. Or doesn't pass the hand squeeze test or other part of the physical exam. For maximum comedy your "friend" should hold it in, but wince holding up their hand for the swearing in ceremony.

The real fun is training and active duty. Your "friend" might run into a real doctor who takes one look at that x-ray and realizes there's no loving way that hand got the way it is over night. Of course, that might not happen until someone wonders why your "friend" has been on vitamin M for 4 years straight. Or your "friend" might not qualify at the rifle range because they can't hit the broad side of barn anymore. Your "friend" should apply to special forces. They love to brag about their washout rate. Your "friend" will puff that up. That's all personal consequences though. The real winner is if your "friend" manages to kill someone because they can't keep a grip like they should.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. Get blazed as gently caress the day before MEPS. I hear that's really good for arthritis. So you'll be sure to pass then.

Ceiling fan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 15, 2017

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah, if you hide a medical condition and that leads to guys having to pick up your slack in combat, gently caress you, I hope your mom gets a folded flag.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're thinking about re-enlisting a decade out, you need to see a VA mental health provider. Especially under the small thumbs of Trump. Just use your post-9/11 GI bill and lay pipe in freshmen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
What horrible life choice led to this

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Goddamn I can't even imagine how bad my life would have to be to voluntarily go back in (jokes on me they wouldn't take me anyway).

But in the spirit of the OP I just got this little gem that someone told me when filling out MEPS questionnaires: YES means Your Enlistment Stops. NO means New Opportunities!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey guys i need your help to commit fraud to ruin my life hurr hurr hurr

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Hey I heard there was a dumb motherfucker in this thread trying to ruin his life.

You don't need MEPS, you need a mental health professional.

MaximusCraptaculous
Apr 20, 2008

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers sent.

Aside from my possible brain damage, all I need to know is if someone in MEPS can or will access civilian medical or insurance records? There's nothing in my military medical records and no physical signs or pain that would be seen in an exam, so I don't have to fake my way through that.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers sent.

Aside from my possible brain damage, all I need to know is if someone in MEPS can or will access civilian medical or insurance records? There's nothing in my military medical records and no physical signs or pain that would be seen in an exam, so I don't have to fake my way through that.

No they wont. Do you think they have the time and effort to track down every recruits medical records and then review them? They screen you at MEPS to see that you pass the minimum required to join the military.

That said

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

Yeah, if you hide a medical condition and that leads to guys having to pick up your slack in combat, gently caress you, I hope your mom gets a folded flag.

EDIT: also what was your 'friends' rate/mos whatever, and is that what they will be trying to get when they go back? Friend sounds stupid and I want to know just how right I am.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 15, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Seriously, if you aren't going to be honest at MEPS at least be honest here so we can help you not get as screwed up. poo poo. Moron.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At least go into something nowhere near combat arms. Maybe a supply clerk.

If you're gonna go back, at least pick a lazy mos.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

go hand out towels at the air force gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximusCraptaculous
Apr 20, 2008

I was on the fence about this anyways, but I think I'm convinced not to try it, it's not worth it. I've got it good now, and having been out so long it seems like it was a good time back then but in reality it sucked and would probably suck even harder being older now and having to put up with all the bs. Thanks goons!

• Locked thread