Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So while Grace and I were setting up to play Metal Gear Rising, and in order to check the audio levels, we decided to do an episode of Sonic Forces because we figured I'd hate it and it'd be goofy.

As it turns out, Sonic Forces is actually pretty drat fun, and also the booze we bought was WAY stronger than we thought, meaning we ended up playing the entire game. Whoops!

Also be forewarned, we usually try to give some sense of class for the first few episodes of an LP, but since we figured it'd be one episode to hotdrop into an existing thread, we kinda start with the dial cranked to ten.

Playlist!

Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 1 - Delilah Bloro Thehedgehog The Wolf
Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 2 - K-Mart No-Name Mephiles
Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 3 - Slay The Runway
Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 4 - Snick The Cat (ft. Booooost)
Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 5 - It Me, Blanic
Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 6 - Emergency Orb

Danaru fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is exactly the LP this game deserves.

I think this is praise.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Fedule posted:

This is exactly the LP this game deserves.

I think this is praise.

I still can't figure out if I love Sonic Forces ironically or unironically, but good lord I love it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I can't believe Dan and Grace accidentally LP'd a Sonic game.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

It's perfect.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Always down for more drunk Dan & Grace LP shenanigans.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dan and Grace drinking game: drink whenever you hear panda twittering. Continue drinking until it stops.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That was amazing. Thankyou.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Incidentally, I loving love how Sonic Team were ballsy enough to block recording during cutscenes. During every cutscene. Like, I don't know how they imagined this panning out, but...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It might be a Sega policy since I think Yakuza 0 had the same thing.

It's pretty weird either way.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The innocent childlike glee.

Spaceballs was right, kids love flamethrowers :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This makes me actually want to play a Sonic game. I'm scared.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren: New Episode! :siren:

For someone who defeated Sonic and took over the world, Infinite kinda sucks rear end

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
b-b-b-but he's the toughest of terrors and the darkest of days

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Woah poo poo, this game actually looks fun!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fedule posted:

Incidentally, I loving love how Sonic Team were ballsy enough to block recording during cutscenes. During every cutscene. Like, I don't know how they imagined this panning out, but...

Sindai posted:

It might be a Sega policy since I think Yakuza 0 had the same thing.

It's pretty weird either way.
So does Persona 5. I got tired of seeing "Recording stopped because you entered a blocked scene" every five goddamn minutes in that game. Shut the gently caress up game, I'm not even recording anything!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Given the dodgey history of Gling™ physics when the rings hold still, it's actually impressive that they had the balls to assign that move to lightning.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keene posted:

So does Persona 5. I got tired of seeing "Recording stopped because you entered a blocked scene" every five goddamn minutes in that game. Shut the gently caress up game, I'm not even recording anything!

It clearly says "gameplay recording paused because you entered blocked scene" and "gameplay recording resumed because you exited blocked scene" - no, nothing grammatically correct like "a blocked scene," just "blocked scene." (And now that I've pointed it out, you won't be able to unsee it.)

And you're always recording on the PS4 by default - it does a sort of "shadow recording" where it keeps the last five or so minutes (I think) by default, so you can choose to grab a clip at any time. You can turn that feature off to silence the messages.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You can also just disable the blocked scene notifications specifically :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So how many pitchers of Sangria are Dan and Grace going to go through by the time this game ends? :allears: I'm half-expecting this LP to end with you two waking up from a hangover and finding out you two got a tattoo of Delilah Bloro while you were drunk. :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

For someone who defeated Sonic and took over the world, Infinite kinda sucks rear end

Infinite is like a teenager trying desperately to be edgy.

"So what's your name?"
Oh poo poo he asked for my name think of a cool name think of a cool name "You may call me... Infinite." Ha, nailed it!

-Later, at the Egg Carrier-

"I have returned."
"Oh hey Steve, did anything fun while you were out?"
"There is no Steve, only Infinite!"
"Yeah sure whatever."

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah, turns out the overlap between weird Sonic OCs and emo/goth/metal 90s kids kind of looks a lot like a slightly edgy circle.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you think about it, a circle is all edge.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

amigolupus posted:

So how many pitchers of Sangria are Dan and Grace going to go through by the time this game ends? :allears: I'm half-expecting this LP to end with you two waking up from a hangover and finding out you two got a tattoo of Delilah Bloro while you were drunk. :v:

We had this swirly wine stuff, which you could shake up and it looked really pretty. Turns out it wasn't wine, it was a 20% alcohol liqueur and Grace didn't like it so I drank pretty much the whole bottle! Keep that in mind it'll explain my performance during certain bosses.

We also had a second bottle the next day when we played Undertale, which again I drank most of. Grace didn't notice until the bottle was almost gone :saddowns: I liked it, at least

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sonic not giving Infinite's edginess the time of day is a wonderful thing. :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 3 - Slay The Runway

I love that this game rewards you for doing well by giving you more options to look like an idiot

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This game... Actually looks like it's fun. At the very least, the sequence with all the gravity shenanigans is probably something I'd enjoy playing through.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's definitely a lot of fun, at least from my short bit of playing it. 3D Sonic's biggest issue is that it's squarely aimed at a specific age group and so unless you're in that realm, chances are there's very little else appealing a lot of the time. That and the internet is ready to hype up how bad a Sonic game is.

Don't think too hard about it and just enjoy going fast while a bunch of animals talk in a very serious tone over a backdrop of giant robots and butt rock.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"It's been 1 minute and 42 seconds. 80% of our forces have been wiped out!"

Go team.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Section Z posted:

"It's been 1 minute and 42 seconds. 80% of our forces have been wiped out!"

Go team.
Well, that took longer than it took for Knuckles to come up with the plan, so... yay?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Sonic Forces Episode 4 - Snick The Cat (ft. Booooost)

I can't believe Snick is loving dead. War is hell.

Also the lightning wispon is far and away the best wispon fight me irl

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
One of the things that's been bothering about this game is that the game is supposed to be a darker story where Dr. Eggman took over the world. But as it stands the game does nothing with that and it doesn't really feel like Eggman has already won no matter how many times Knuckles says he did. Then there's the fact that nothing is actually done with with the "Darker" premise outside of edgelord the whatever he is.
For example Sonic is said to be tortured but not only do we not see that he never acts like he's been tortured for six months, he merely acts like he's been there for less than a day waiting for a rescue. Knuckles said tails lost it when Sonic dissappeared at in the beginning of the game but when we do see him he seems normal and not like a person who lost his best friend and is still grieving.
Then there's the distraction level where it doesn't really feel like you are being a distraction because it just feels like a normal level except now there a single giant bot stomping around the level. You don't even get to interact with Eggman who your supposed to be distracting.

Honestly I think the game would have been better story wise if it actually did tell a story about what would happen if Eggman took over and followed through with it.
As it stands the game wants to tell you that it's telling you a more mature story but it's too afraid to follow through with that and explore the consequences of war and what it does to people.

Satam told this kind of story a lot better plus then you could have a boss fight where Sonic and Eggman engage in hand to hand combat.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't know what I like more, the constant dunking on Infinite, Grace trying desperately to fight off falling asleep, or Dan's panicked shouts of, "It doesn't count! IT DOESN'T COUNT!" :allears:

Doseku posted:

A post about Sonic Forces' story not being mature enough.

I don't think the intention was for this to be a darker story. I mean, weren't there interviews where Iizuka mentioned this wasn't the case?

I feel that Sonic media, and even Forces' story, have pretty much just been kids' shows. Stuff like the war here, or SA2's plot, are just set dressing for the adventures of a round blue hedgehog who goes fast, and not really meant to be examined in detail.

I mean, sure, you can tell a story going into detail about the war against Eggman like in the Archie comics, but those stories still try to keep a goofy tone to it. It's only when the story takes itself too seriously that it gets ridiculous like Sonic 06's plot or everything Ken Penders. Plus, I remember the SatAM show falling into this pit trap. The tone of the show takes the war against Eggman a bit too seriously to the point that Sonic doesn't fit in with his own show.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I know you guys didn't seem too amazed by the option to wear a Knuckles shirt, and I kind of understand. But how about a Sanic shirt? No really there is a Sanic shirt in this game now.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/934472087313506304

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheDarkFlame posted:

I know you guys didn't seem too amazed by the option to wear a Knuckles shirt, and I kind of understand. But how about a Sanic shirt? No really there is a Sanic shirt in this game now.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/934472087313506304

poo poo like this honestly leads to a massive glowing praise of Sonic Forces, and how Sonic Team's been going in general. I'm a big dang Sonic hater, we LP'd Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic 06 and hooly gently caress what a poo poo show, but also I incredibly ironically loved the games for how bad they were. With Sonic Forces they managed to lean into that hilarious irony, but also make a genuinely fun game. :allears: I love Sonic Forces way more genuinely than I dare to admit.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's, like, the only thing really hilariously jarringly problematically wrong with Sonic Forces is its tone. The actual playable interactive parts of the game are solidly Okay (from what I can tell), the Hedgehog Engine is still really nifty and I hope we'll get an honest to god 8th-gen port of Generations that uses it (or, hell, just a 60fps-enabled PS4P/XboneX copy/paste), and the OC Avatar is a slam dunk.

Everything wrong with this game happens in the dumb incidental dialogue, which is written like it's this overbearingly bleak bad-YA dystopian hellscape future when there's no need for that.

I still haven't bought this game and probably won't, but I sure as poo poo am going to purchase the soundtrack because as usual it is Joy.mp3.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I think I'll eventually pick this up, maybe next year's Winter Sale, I assume it'll be on a fairly steep discount by then.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fedule posted:

Everything wrong with this game happens in the dumb incidental dialogue, which is written like it's this overbearingly bleak bad-YA dystopian hellscape future when there's no need for that.

That was like half of the dialog in the Archie Sonic comics. This game's writing is like a pure love letter to it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

You know, some plot beats in this game seem... rushed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Danaru posted:

You know, some plot beats in this game seem... rushed

I like how the level is called "Null Space" and you spend like 10 seconds in null space and the rest is just another metropolitan level.

• Locked thread