Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don't understand how that is possible using 1970's computing technology. I don't believe it. Do you have any more information on this project? I can't find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We put a man on the moon with 1960's computing technology. This is just some string manipulation :shobon:

Getting logic-based AI to work is largely the same now as it always was. Classic AI was not data-driven so you didn't need terabytes of training data. The big AI winter happened as early as 1984, *after* the big hype about neural networks for solving problems died down.

That winter slowly ended as people realized that there are still all sorts of applications for even the most limited AI (such as the dumber "big data" statistics based ones that are popular today, and that are hungry for as much high-speed input from the internet as they can process). That sort of AI was succeeding in an increasing amount of niche areas, towards ubiquity, and now there's the whole internet full of new opportunities to use it and show it off. There was nowhere for pretty generated images and Gaston lyrics to go where they'd have been quite as appreciated in the 1970's, versus now with twitter. The big difference that you see today is not that there's some giant body of new research everyone knows all about, or some massive code library that took decades for researchers to build up that you now can't build a product without, or even modern computer speeds -- mostly it's the suddenly increased domain of problems being tried.

Also if you want more information about TALESPIN in particular, you can just Google any of the excerpts I quoted above to get full articles. Mostly old ones, so .pdfs without highlightable text.

The fact that this is real is crazy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

https://worldmodels.github.io/

A robot that dreams about doom, then plays in the dream levels, then uses what it learns from its dreams to inform real doom playing

Increasing the uncertainty of the simulated scenarios is like turning the dream into a nightmare. That is insanely cool, as is this:

quote:

For instance, in our initial experiments, we noticed that our agent discovered an adversarial policy to move around in such a way so that the monsters in this virtual environment governed by the M model never shoots a single fireball in some rollouts. Even when there are signs of a fireball forming, the agent will move in a way to extinguish the fireballs magically as if it has superpowers in the environment.

Because our world model is only an approximate probabilistic model of the environment, it will occasionally generate trajectories that do not follow the laws governing the actual environment. As we saw previously, even the number of monsters on the other side of the room in the actual environment is not exactly reproduced by the world model. Like a child who learns that objects in the air usually fall to the ground, the child might also imagine unrealistic superheroes who fly across the sky. For this reason, our world model will be exploitable by the controller, even if in the actual environment such exploits do not exist.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh man, I didn’t realize that the new Battleman Boss and the Butterfly Kid joint had hit the shelves yet. I gotta go grab that tomorow.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It’s like looking at a dream. Seems so realistic at first, but the closer you look, the more the details break down.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hempuli posted:

Extremely cool but also scary: recording a video of people dancing/moving, then generating a new video where they appear to be doing completely different dance moves based on poses detected on a source video. That was very hard to put into words. Anyway:

https://twitter.com/hardmaru/status/1032762806796312576

E: tbh, there are several parallels that could be drawn between this and that cool car video.

Jesus. the future is going to be wonderful and terrifying,

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Someone in the comments pointed out that you can even see a reflection in the window behind the white shirt guy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

finalellipsis posted:

technically we are all ultimate kids of loads

False. If you are a twin, and you came out first, you are merely a Penultimate Kid of Load.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

69 Shades bonus Chaos sounds like video game DLC.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Here's a game: try to guess what these are transforming from and into!

Dog to Tarantula

Baboon to Jellyfish

Corn to Thimble

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

End of Shoelace posted:

im not owned! im not owned!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Well you’d probably have to do it frame by frame. It would be pretty time and resource intensive to do the whole thing. Obviously no expense is too great.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/6xxGIDfe5BU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It’s blocked in America.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I like how when the “main” image shifts to a perspective where the license plate isn’t visible, the version spliced with the red car will implement the red car’s plate as a sort of decal on the side.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tired: It’s Raining Men
Wired: Donnghaile

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jabor posted:

He's a hitman that's known for drowning people.

No, that’s not his MO. What he does is, he takes a pinch of cyanide and mixes it into a cup of water. Then he takes a drop of that water and mixes it into another cup of water. Then he takes a drop of that water and mixes it into a third cup of water. Then he slips a drop of that into the target’s drink.

Then, when that does nothing, he gets so frustrated that he barges in and beats the target to death with a hammer.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Triarii posted:

I've been making a game that requires an unlimited amount of terrain to blow up and set on fire, and I've found the process of writing terrain generation code to be oddly relaxing and engrossing, kinda like making pottery. Here's it panning over some random terrain for 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vPf-RWoTUY

Neat. What are the red and blue things the camera pans past at 1:45?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Interesting how even though the angle is right, the AI loses the ability to identify it whenever the tips of the ears/beak exit the frame.

Uh, why didn’t they make it so the drawing always fits inside the frame?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How soon until this can be done real time?

How soon until you can play retro N64 and PSX games while viewing them through an intermediate ML "filter," that turns all the lovely low-poly models into finely painted and delicately re-shaped objects from the statistically nearest matching photorealistic scene?

Honestly I can’t wait for when we’re halfway there and we can make those games look like the land of the living from Grim Fandango.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That’s extrnely cool. You might want to put an epilepsy warning on it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Doubleposting because Datagrid, a company at Kyoto University, now has a GAN that makes full high-resolution people instead of just their faces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8siezzLXbNo

https://datagrid.co.jp/all/release/386/

We are no one... and everyone.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think they might have overtrained it. That, or maybe the creativity is set too low? Whatever the reason, the fact remains that each of those is just a regular plain old Bart.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Awesome how it puts a sun in the sky and a shadow under the cyclops.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/jonathanfly/status/1145240404276723713

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ah yes, adoption: something you do to people who are your peers and appropriate to engage in a romantic/sexual relationship with.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

where'd the tongue come from though on that one?

It’s the cat emoji’s nose.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Me and the boys chilling in the oval office

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kennel posted:

For sale: A pair of old men shorts.

Never worn.

:qq:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RICHTER: Die monster. You don’t belong in this world! You're a monster! You're a monster. And so are we. We know our destiny. We can't die. You're a goddamn monster. We don’t have anything else in life. And we're all monsters. In our own lives. And in people. And animals and things too.‬ ‬ The other kids' gaze turned away with him to the horizon, their eyes focused on something else entirely. Their mouths parted. The sea filled with the odor of sea life, but the smell of a person was there. A person in a mask. A naked man with bare feet, with something under his coat and arms— A man stood, holding a mask.
DRACULA: What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ah, reverse psychology.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I dunno, I just had a pretty normal conversation with it.

Personality:

I like to take walks.
I live in a house.
I like to eat hamburgers and french fries.
I don't drink soda.

Conversation:
Hello
hello! how are you today?
Ok. You?
i'm good. i just got done eating some french fries and fries.
Both? That’s illegal.
i know. it is a crime. i don't drink soda.
You’re going to jail.
i know. i'm not sure what to do.
Run for the border.
i live in a house.
Leave it behind. It’s now or never.
i know. i'm going to run.
Bye.
bye

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

You run into the city and find Zoll's car parked outside the GZS Alliance Headquarters.
You rush inside and quickly get in the elevator. As you ascend, you realize
that you aren't really feeling very well
> look at myself

You feel weak and tired. You try to stand up, but your legs won't move. You fall
back onto the seat and then you pass out. When you wake up, you're in a hospital
bed. A nurse stands behind you and asks why you're in such a hurry
> say "I need to find a scientist named Zoll."

She nods and says "Yes, I understand. Please let me call Dr. Wu and he'll send
someone to pick you up right away".
> wait

You wait patiently for Dr. Wu to arrive. Finally, he arrives and sits down beside
you. He tells you that he's been sending people to retrieve you every few days,
but he hasn't heard anything from Zoll. He thinks that maybe he ran off or something
> say "Every few days? How long was I unconcious?"

He looks puzzled and says "How long were you unconscious? Well, I guess you weren't
conscious when the elevator doors opened. I assume you must've already gone
to the Alliance HQ".
> say "That doesn't make sense."

He sighs and says
> say "None of this makes sense. Wait a minute..."

He frowns and says
> wake up in the elevator

You slowly open your eyes and see Dr. Wu standing next to you. He says "So...you're
alive. That's good, isn't it?"
> say "Am I dreaming?"

He looks surprised and says "Of course you're dreaming. Why else would you be
here?"
> say "How can I wake up?"

He looks surprised and says "How can you wake up? You're dead!".
YOU DIED. GAME OVER

What the gently caress.

EDIT:

quote:

You leave Quayle in the village and go to the capital. You meet up with Sir Theo
and his friends and they tell you that they found Sir Theo in the city.
> say "Sir Theo, where have you been? I killed the wizard, but had I failed, an innocent boy would have fallen into his grasp!"

Sir Theo shakes his head
> say "You are a coward, Sir Theo! You are unworthy of your title!"

Sir Theo looks shocked "Really?!?"
> say "You are no knight. And I am not your squire."

Sir Theo's eyes widen and he stutters "Oh...you mean..".
> say "Yes, Theo. Goodbye."

Sir Theo turns and walks away. You stand there looking at him for a moment and
then walk off.

Holy poo poo, this thing is incredible.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Dec 7, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I already made one in GBS since that's where the Talk to Transformer one was.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905798

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Elfface posted:

It's not wrong.

Somebody stop this man!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Woebin posted:

The "generate nudes of this person" thing already cropped up months ago, and yeah it's pretty hosed up. At least with this thing it's not real people, I guess.

There is an infinitesimally small chance that it could produce an imagine identical to a real person.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah I was going to say, it’s kind of hosed up that every one of them gets more and more grotesque, except Buscemi, who gets more and more handsome. If these were made by a person I might even call that a little mean.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Those faces always seem super realistic

Then you look at the person standing to the side of them

I dunno, there’s definitely something about the right shoulder region on this one that’s a little less than lifelike.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

My favorite anime? Well, there's this really cute slice-of-life one called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Oh you "like" Edmundaddafakkmaddinatrepop? Name their first single :c00lbert:

It's Of Edmundaddafakkmaddinatrepop you fake fan.