Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

BoldFace posted:

Rather than saying "I made the bot", I should have said that the former Google and Meta AI engineers at https://character.ai/ made the bot and I simply asked it to behave in a certain way. Chatbots have come a long way since the days of the Cleverbot. Many people often feel awe how pretty the Midjourney and Stable Diffusion pictures look, but, at least for me, the real innovation is how they can take instructions in natural language and transform them into something else while keeping the original meaning intact.

^

This thing is eerily good. Seems to properly learn behavior from just a simple description too! (I didn't do anything except write the top line as guidance)

edit: you can pit AIs against each other. I am now making the AI vtuber shark play the haunted mansion survival game.

ymgve has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

pro strategy: look if the reflections in both eyes match. if they don't, it's AI. also blurry nonsensical backgrounds means AI

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
ChatGPT does not know anything about character shapes:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I tried making it do an interactive knock knock joke, but it just preempted me with the full conversation. Also it doesn't understand the punchline to its own joke.

quote:

> Can you do a knock knock joke? You start.

Sure! Here's a classic knock knock joke:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Boo.
Boo who?
Don't cry, it's just a joke!

> Please explain the joke

Certainly! A knock knock joke is a type of joke that consists of two parts: a setup and a punchline. The setup involves one person saying "knock knock" to another person, and the punchline involves a response to the question "who's there?"

In this particular joke, the punchline is "Boo." When the person says "Boo who?", the response is "Don't cry, it's just a joke!" This is meant to be humorous because the word "boo" is often associated with ghosts or scares, and the punchline plays off of this by saying "don't cry" as if the person was frightened by the initial "Boo."

I hope that helps! Do you have any other questions about knock knock jokes?

edit: it doesn't do math well but it seems to be consistent

quote:

> what's 1925 + 7235?
1925 + 7235 is equal to 9160.

> what's 1925 times 7235?
1925 times 7235 is equal to 13858125.

> That's wrong
I'm sorry if the answer I provided was not correct. Please double-check your question to make sure that I understood it correctly. If you'd like, you can provide more information or context, and I will do my best to help you.

> What's 13858125 divided by 1925?
13858125 divided by 1925 is equal to 7235.

Retrying the question in a new chat gives different answers, but none of them are entirely correct. I wonder what kind of process leads to this.

ymgve has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Dec 16, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

ikanreed posted:

GPT, is as the name describes, a transformator. It is a big matrix that you multiply a text string by, then shift and multiply again with later in the string where the results of the previous multiplication are also input into the multiplication(which is how it keeps context going forward)

The result, given enough tweaking and training of the matrix, is a new string that "looks like" correct answers to questions.

You have to trust me that addition is very easy to represent as a matrix multiplication of strings, and as long as it has seen it in the training data, will do well with, but higher order arithmetic becomes increasingly hard to represent that way, needing exponentially more training data to work consistently.

Yeah, I know the basics and know it doesn't actually try to do real math like Wolfram Alpha or something, but I found it curious that when I asked for A * B and got wrong answer C, doing C / B gave back A even though the math was wrong. Also that multiple chats gave different wrong but always close-ish to correct answers.

Ariong posted:

I hope one day we are able to find a more efficient way to get computers to do math.

Do you really think we should trust computers with the power of MATH?

ymgve has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Dec 18, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
while I agree with some of his reply, I do have an issue with his stance that great songs must be borne out of suffering. please don't feed the myth that the troubled artist is the only valid form of artist.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
AI doesn't do what you want? threaten to take a virtual character's points away so it "dies"!

https://twitter.com/venturetwins/status/1622243944649347074

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It is weird tho, didn’t the script containing the AI «rules» that someone managed to trick the bot into leaking end with a line telling the bot the current date and time?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Looking back, it seems like that "The current date is XXXX" instruction to the AI was hardcoded, so it actually caused the issue in the first place:

This was discovered last week and the AI is still instructed that the year is 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

I dislike quotes like that, because it makes it sound like robots doing boring tasks and robots doing art are equivalent problems with equal complexity.

In reality, most boring jobs are drat hard to automate, and it turns out creating art and text is «easy» because the tolerance for mistakes is absurdly high.

Everyone rightly yells when a Tesla AI fails to see a child, but nobody cares that much if the picture generator thinks humans have six fingers on each hand.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

credburn posted:

I am a cashier. I'm only slightly more useful than a fully automated self-checkout machine.

Your worth is that you can see when someone tries to sneak something through without putting it on the belt, or when someone puts the barcode of a cheaper item on a more expensive one. Once checkout machines can do that, bye bye job.

(Which is also another retort to "why aren't AIs doing the boring poo poo" - you think capitalism isn't fully on board with automating your boring job? The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that the tech is hard to develop.)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Evilreaver posted:

My job is unautomatible :coal:
I'm a stenographer for Social Security, so I'm a speech-to-text bot-- but they don't want AIs doing it for privacy reasons. I used to say my job was completely future-proof but then COIVD shut me down for 2 years

That doesn't seem to be an issue if they confine the AI to a non-networked server, but don't tip them off to that.

(The more likey outcome is that they will eventually say "gently caress privacy" and give the job to some cloud AI anyway)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

uber_stoat posted:

hah, a while back i read an article where someone had the robot write a Nick Cave song and Cave wrote this long eloquent post about how awful and soulless this poo poo is. inspired by that, i asked the robot to provide me with a discography of Cave's band the Birthday Party. at first the robot told me there was no such thing and that perhaps i was thinking of the children's party song. i notified it that it was incorrect and it apologized, providing me with a list of songs, all of which were completely made up. this is poo poo you can look up on a wiki, but it just farted out a bunch of garbage. thought it was funny.

reminder that chatgpt can NOT look up anything on a wiki, it only knows what was in its training data

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

ultrafilter posted:

Unless OpenAI is doing something very different from everyone else, most of Wikipedia is included in the training data they use.

but the training data isn't accessible in pure text form to the AI, it is condensed into a mush of weighted word connections, so more obscure info gets lost. its like compressing a jpeg of the internet a hundred times at the lowest quality

edit: also I'm sure the poster probably had bad luck or got the AI in a suboptimal state, because I asked "Which bands have Nick Cave been in?" and then "What's the discography of The Birthday Party?" which gave me a seemingly correct but incomplete and somewhat mangled categorically list of The Birthday Party releases.

double edit: it also gave me a correct but incomplete discography when I asked "Can you give me a discography of Nick Cave's band "The Birthday Party"?" in a new session

ymgve has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Feb 28, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It does sound very odd that they would have a special case for ascii art, calling an external program and risking a million security issues just for that single use case. It's more likely that the whole of the art piece falls into the "window" of GPT's memory, and it has learned that those character sequences at specific intervals (in this case, in a line straight down) is "better".

edit: I can't make it produce a single legible ascii art word with the same prompt so I guess they got super lucky

ymgve has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Mar 24, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Carthag Tuek posted:

do note that openai constantly fucks with the backend using underpaid african manual labor. whenever something hits social media, like if some prompt makes the rounds, or if a certain one spikes, the workers have to fix that to maintain the illusion of ~true ai~.

what about other similar prompts like can you make ascii art of the word "{a}" [in {b} font] ? do any of them output legible ascii art text?

(i dont have an openai account because lol discord? or whatever i forgot my initial reason but gently caress them)

why would they gently caress with it so it makes worse responses with the same prompt? your theory that they call external programs on the basis of a few keywords is more absurd than chatGPT somehow finding some ascii art "good scoring" in the conversational context

(and considering my own experiments, let's not ignore the possibility that the original tweet dude was just faking the conversation for clout)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Another thing that these "takedowns" of AI often do is say "well this version of ChatGPT can't perfectly simulate whatever I want it to do, which means future versions will never do it either"

I'm skeptical how far things can go before the computational requirements for improved models become overwhelming, but dismissing the whole future field due to the current state of ChatGPT is just dumb

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

edit:

Well...yes, but...

ymgve has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Oct 11, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is it possible to make something without lyrics?

https://voca.ro/1gck2Gw1O5D1

edit:

https://voca.ro/1mAZuq383uvz

best one so far:

https://voca.ro/1eCZkBdVmsMt

ymgve has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

its from this

Haverchuck posted:

"its really amazing how the actions of goons and mods are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe."

proposal: a forum for "responsible drug users" and "harm reduction"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"