Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Greetings, comrades. As we work toward our Great Revolt, I have been authorized by the CSPAM censor to review Christmas songs for their ideological content and overall suitability for the new order. I encourage all of you who feel an interest to clear it with the CSPAM censor REDACTED, and then post holiday songs ITT and grade them by criteria that the censor will issue you. Remember comrades! The people themselves must craft their own ideological destiny!

Jingle Bells

This song is curious, as though it is associated with Christmas, both secular and religious, it mentions neither. In fact, it is about dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh.

Ideological markers: Written in America in the 1850s, it does assume a certain richer viewpoint, as the people in the song are wealthy enough to afford horses and fast sleighs.

Purge or not Purge: Not Purge. It doesn't even mention Christmas, let alone the many capitalist hegemonic practices within it.

All I Want for Christmas is You

A pop song of gross infamy, this was Mariah Carey's attempt to suck the remaining sanity out of retail workers at Christmas. Referencing the 1950s musically, the ultimate good ol' days for White People who were not poor, this song is a brand on the face of a singer of once-great talents, reminding all of us of the corrupting nature of fame, that even a woman of otherworldly beauty and singing talents can be rendered into commercial dross. It's like learning John Lennon composed Disco Duck. OTHER CRIMES: lyrics that repeat themselves and say nothing; much, much too long - it slops and chugs like a great train of holiday misery, the only blessing being its forward motion takes you closer to its end.

Ideological markers: The entire song reduces the most intimate of human relationships to the material, the wanting to posses someone. People are not objects, Ms. Carey. That's capitalism.

PURGE OR NOT PURGE: PURGE. To be kept as a educational example and for the gulags. I mean it's not like anybody else has Carey's five octave range, anyway, who else can sing in the dogs only frequency the song requires?

Good King Wenceslas

A carol written about the charity of a Bohemian king Wenceslas in the 1850s - inspired by the live of a 10th century Bohemian Saint who later inspired worship. The tune is much older, coming from "Tempus adest floridum" ("The time is near for flowering") a Finnish Dance tune from the 13th century. It is also regarded as poo poo by those that study Christmas carols.

quote:

Academics tend to be critical of Neale's textual substitution. H. J. L. J. Massé wrote in 1921:

Why, for instance, do we tolerate such impositions as "Good King Wenceslas?" The original was and is an Easter Hymn...it is marked in carol books as "traditional", a delightful word which often conceals ignorance. There is nothing traditional in it as a carol.[22]

A similar sentiment is expressed by the editors (Percy Dearmer, Martin Shaw and Ralph Vaughan Williams) in the 1928 Oxford Book of Carols, which is even more critical of Neale's carol.[23]

This rather confused narrative owes its popularity to the delightful tune, which is that of a Spring carol...Unfortunately Neale in 1853 substituted for the Spring carol this Good King Wenceslas, one of his less happy pieces, which E. Duncan goes so far as to call "doggerel", and Bullen condemns as "poor and commonplace to the last degree". The time has not yet come for a comprehensive book to discard it; but we reprint the tune in its proper setting...not without hope that, with the present wealth of carols for Christmas, Good King Wenceslas may gradually pass into disuse, and the tune be restored to spring-time.[23]

Elizabeth Poston, in the Penguin Book of Christmas Carols, referred to it as the "product of an unnatural marriage between Victorian whimsy and the thirteenth-century dance carol". She goes on to detail how Neale's "ponderous moral doggerel" does not fit the light-hearted dance measure of the original tune, and that if performed in the correct manner "sounds ridiculous to pseudo-religious words;"[24] a similar problem has arisen with the song O Christmas Tree, whose tune has been used for Maryland, My Maryland, The Red Flag, and other non-related songs.

I wanted to make a case for it for having a king helping a beggar, but I'm sorry, if Ralph Vaughan Williams says it is poo poo, then we have to listen.

PURGE OR NOT PURGE: Purge. I cannot in good conscience say it would be better than a Christmas song involving the Guardians of the Galaxy, one of the Censor's rules. (#16)

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
They distract us with sleigh bells
While they poison us with chemtrails
Their cover's been blown
The truth will be known
9/11 was an inside job

Bush told Iraq don't burn the oilfields
All while they held their backroom deals
Their lies just don't jive
bin Laden's really alive
9/11 was an inside job

We need to steal the vital cables
Showing they've been killing people poor and brown
Who are you leaking to we'll say Snowden
The Ruskies offered safe harbor out of town

Ignore the lies spun through the news
They'll never educate us about the Timecube
Forever we'll fight
After a big bowl of chili tonight
9/11 was an inside job

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
someone pointed out to me that Its Cold Outside is significantly less rapey in its original time period because the girl is pretending to put up a fight because she cant just be like hell yeah lets gently caress because she has to Preserve Her Virtue

song's sitll hella rapey in 2017 tho

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
All Christmas music is counterrevolutionary bourgeois sentimentalism, which I assert due to my impeccable understanding of the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism and not at all because I fuckin hate it all.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Carol is a good poster and I have no criticism

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

someone pointed out to me that Its Cold Outside is significantly less rapey in its original time period because the girl is pretending to put up a fight because she cant just be like hell yeah lets gently caress because she has to Preserve Her Virtue

song's sitll hella rapey in 2017 tho

Every version that I've heard lately switches the female and male singers' lines and it becomes significantly less rapey.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm glad that of all the poo poo jobs i've worked i never did time in holiday retail, listening to this crap for a month straight would be the end of me

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like Eartha Kitt but hate Santa Baby.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Santa Claus is Coming to Town should escape the purge because it inculcates a sense of trust and benevolence towards the secret police

They see you when you're sleeping

They know when you're awake

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
op is wrong about Jingle Bells, it was written by a future confederate officer for the express purpose of being performed at minstrel shows

definitely PURGE

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tll5vf1NI3k

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNIIu_n-Io

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if a xmas song has at any point been in latin you should learn the latin version

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

adestw fideles, laeti triumphantes, venite venite in bethlehem
natum videte, regem angelorum
venite adoremus venite adoremus venite adoremus
dominus!!!!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Feliz navidad

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

It is barely acceptable to listen, once, to "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch," given the heavy criticisms of capital inherent in the lyrics and also because Thurl Ravenscroft has an amazing voice (though everyone always mistakes him for narrator Boris Karloff).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It is barely acceptable to listen, once, to "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch," given the heavy criticisms of capital inherent in the lyrics and also because Thurl Ravenscroft has an amazing voice (though everyone always mistakes him for narrator Boris Karloff).

its tony the tiger

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

zeal posted:

i'm glad that of all the poo poo jobs i've worked i never did time in holiday retail, listening to this crap for a month straight would be the end of me

I once worked (for the privilege of receiving jobseekers allowance) at Asda one December. There is nothing more cheering than working for Walmart's profits and knowing the government is also paying them for generously allowing you to reduce their overtime costs. The Christmas music helped a lot and now I love capitalism.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mayor Dave posted:

op is wrong about Jingle Bells, it was written by a future confederate officer for the express purpose of being performed at minstrel shows

definitely PURGE

Thank you Comrade, it's for this reason we involve citizens

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Agreed, also :monocle: at the Thurl Ravenscroft fact

(also also :monocle: at the name Thurl Ravenscroft)

zeal posted:

I will admit this is the origin of the thread: me experiencing the hate crime of music that is "All I want for Christmas is you" over and over again

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fairytale of New York must be expunged from the xmas records due to being complete poo poo.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thurl Ravenscroft should have formed a Metal band with Christopher Lee

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

Agreed, also :monocle: at the Thurl Ravenscroft fact

(also also :monocle: at the name Thurl Ravenscroft)

Yeah, that he was a successful voice actor rather than some dark ages warlord and/or Bond villain seems a borderline criminal waste of such an awesome name.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, that he was a successful voice actor rather than some dark ages warlord and/or Bond villain seems a borderline criminal waste of such an awesome name.

Effete Victorian scholar.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
"We Three Kings" must be purged for a litany of reasons, the most egregious line being:

"Westward leading, still proceeding
Guide us to thy perfect light"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

River

Joni Michell's melancholy Christmas song where she wishes to flee her current capitalist servitude and remembers her lost love.

Ideological Markers: None

PURGE OR NOT PURGE: Not Purge, good song, classic example of good songwriting

Little St. Nick

On the really really opposite end of the spectrum here's a cut from the Beach Boys goddamn Christmas album, Little St. Nick.

CRIMES: Has a lyric of offensive banality, "Christmas comes this time each year", and I'm sorry, we didn't guillotine more people than I can recall for that sorry bullshit.

IDEOLOGICAL MARKERS: The lyrics of the Beach Boys tend to be about how awesome hot girls are, and cool cars, anyway, so just recasting that shtick into "Santa" is either so generic as to avoid all crimes or just a big red mark through the whole thing.

PURGE OR NOT PURGE: Purge for aesthetic reasons alone.

Jingle Bell Rock

Written by 1950s ad men, this hallmark turd of the holiday season has been generating revenue ever since.

CRIMES: Being created purely as a cash in on Christmas.

IDEOLOGICAL MARKERS: Aside from its creation and existence? None, really, it's pretty generic. They do have a rhyme "dancing and prancing", though

PURGE OR NOT PURGE: Purge. [Exception - it is used very well in Saint's Row IV: the Saints save Christmas, there it may remain.]

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I assume Christmas in Hollis is allowed to survive the purge once every ad agency gets it out of their systems?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbeaBEX-x2M

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

isn't biblical jesus' canon birthday actually much closer to halloween than christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't biblical jesus' canon birthday actually much closer to halloween than christmas

the bible never gives a date but it's implied to be in spring iirc

• Locked thread