Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Need a spot of technical gifting advice and I made a new thread about it for maximum exposure.

my 60+ mother is wanting a new laptop. to give an idea of her technical history, she has used some form of the HP EliteBook Folio series throughout her nearly 10+ years at her administrative work job at a private school. she is familiar with g-suite and microsoft products. she is an iphone and ipad user, but has never used a mac.

she enjoys photo editing but is very limited with her experience with proper tools. whenever i see her working on something...arts and crafts-y (her words, not mine)...it's a mix of paint and ms word. I'm sure as she retires she would like to get into stuff like photo archiving, maybe some simple digitization of photos, whatever. she always talks about how she wants photoshop, but i don't know how she plans on learning to use it.

Anyway, she is retiring next year, and the kids want to get her a laptop for christmas.

My siblings are wanting to get her a 13-inch macbook air. I have personally never used a mac, so I can't speak to the benefits, but i can name a few right off the top of my head such as it comes with the softwares she needs and works with her phone/ipad. also i feel kind of good about putting my mom in the apple ecosystem, since it is closed off and they have enough money that i trust them (:911:) to keep my mom's stuff decently safe...kind of like putting her in a safe e-retirement community.

I'm cool with the macbook air, but I am a bit concerned about changing up her OS so late in the game. I was debating if it would be better to get her a laptop similar to the one she has been using at work for the last decade. There are no more kids around the house to help her with a new computer and OS she hasn't used before.

what does yospos think? what is a good computer for a non-technical woman or a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The current MacBook Airs are literally exactly the same as they were 6 years ago, including the price. I don't know if they're going to update them soon, but I broke my 2011 one a few months ago and when I went to get a "new" one I found out that it was literally just an exact replacement in every spec and it cost exactly the same. even though it had been six years. The only thing they changed in the Air lineup is that they got rid of the 11" since it was so similar to the new MacBooks, because of course they would stop making the worlds best computer in favor of a gimmicky piece of poo poo. I would not get her a MacBook Air, at least not until they update it.

The new MacBook Pro's with the TouchBar are okay, I got a 13" one of those instead. If you really want to get her a computer get one of those. Not that the TouchBar does anything except make the escape key a little screen button that has no haptics which sucks for coding.

Get her an iPad Pro, a stand, a bluetooth keyboard, and the Apple Pencil. IOS is way easier to learn than MacOS, the Pro has a big screen and is quick so it seems like a laptop (probably why she doesn't use her smaller slower iPad now), and it will be way easier for her to do things like Paint or photo editing or word with a touch screen I'd think. Plus all that is probably still cheaper than any laptop they sell.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Eww why get her that weak apple trash, you obviously need to get her a Razer, put Arch on it and introduce her to the easy to use, free and open editing tools

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
it sounds like you want to get her an ipad pro with a pencil. it has 3 good photoshop apps: photoshop elements, affinity photo, pixelmator. affinity photo is supposed to be the best

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
jenga

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
if she's already familiar with windows, she'd probably prefer a windows computer :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a touchbar mac and don't like it. i wish i had the 2015 one with buttons back but it broke :(

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

don’t ever use a windows

get something with iOS or OS X or even chrome os for something that’s really difficult to screw up

if she’s a tiny bit competent with computers then the 13” air is probably the best choice

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PokeJoe posted:

i have a touchbar mac and don't like it. i wish i had the 2015 one with buttons back but it broke :(

yeah I’ve found like one thing that is maybe cool at best, which is the color bar for terminal windows. otherwise it is completely a gimmick and it crashes so much that I had to make a bash alias for fixing it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i also hate that it doesn't have any normal usb plugs. i need way too many dongles for everything

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my touchback is cool and works fine and I use it all the time

and why do people have a billion peripherals in TYOOL 2017 especially on every port

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im a phone developer so i plug phones and stuff in

e: ethernet, monitors, plenty of things. do you not use the ports on your computer ever?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah it’s called a hub/dock/properly compatible accessories/etc

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hmm more crap to buy vs having a good computer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use a dock w/ my work laptop and I would not have it any other way

what, do you plug all that phone/ethernet etc in when you're using it in your lap?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"i want a good trackpad and keyboard or i'm not buying your laptop" made the difference between me using it daily and me using it never

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what should i give my family members

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i asked my family not to get me anything because i don't need more wasteful garbage i'll never use. i also told them i don't plan on buying anyone presents but it'd be great if we could get together for a meal, etc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Bloody posted:

give the gift of bitcoin

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Bloody posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jenga is good

uno is amazing

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
got all my xmas shopping done thank u god emperor bezos

except for my sis tho gonna grab a nice bottle of dark rum on the way out of town at binnys

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
giant Jenga is actually pretty fun and not that hard to make. don’t lacquer the 2x4s though because then they get sticky and the game impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
guess it gets pricey??? hmm

• Locked thread