Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The current MacBook Airs are literally exactly the same as they were 6 years ago, including the price. I don't know if they're going to update them soon, but I broke my 2011 one a few months ago and when I went to get a "new" one I found out that it was literally just an exact replacement in every spec and it cost exactly the same. even though it had been six years. The only thing they changed in the Air lineup is that they got rid of the 11" since it was so similar to the new MacBooks, because of course they would stop making the worlds best computer in favor of a gimmicky piece of poo poo. I would not get her a MacBook Air, at least not until they update it.

The new MacBook Pro's with the TouchBar are okay, I got a 13" one of those instead. If you really want to get her a computer get one of those. Not that the TouchBar does anything except make the escape key a little screen button that has no haptics which sucks for coding.

Get her an iPad Pro, a stand, a bluetooth keyboard, and the Apple Pencil. IOS is way easier to learn than MacOS, the Pro has a big screen and is quick so it seems like a laptop (probably why she doesn't use her smaller slower iPad now), and it will be way easier for her to do things like Paint or photo editing or word with a touch screen I'd think. Plus all that is probably still cheaper than any laptop they sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PokeJoe posted:

i have a touchbar mac and don't like it. i wish i had the 2015 one with buttons back but it broke :(

yeah I’ve found like one thing that is maybe cool at best, which is the color bar for terminal windows. otherwise it is completely a gimmick and it crashes so much that I had to make a bash alias for fixing it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
giant Jenga is actually pretty fun and not that hard to make. don’t lacquer the 2x4s though because then they get sticky and the game impossible.

• Locked thread