Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Need a spot of technical gifting advice and I made a new thread about it for maximum exposure.

my 60+ mother is wanting a new laptop. to give an idea of her technical history, she has used some form of the HP EliteBook Folio series throughout her nearly 10+ years at her administrative work job at a private school. she is familiar with g-suite and microsoft products. she is an iphone and ipad user, but has never used a mac.

she enjoys photo editing but is very limited with her experience with proper tools. whenever i see her working on something...arts and crafts-y (her words, not mine)...it's a mix of paint and ms word. I'm sure as she retires she would like to get into stuff like photo archiving, maybe some simple digitization of photos, whatever. she always talks about how she wants photoshop, but i don't know how she plans on learning to use it.

Anyway, she is retiring next year, and the kids want to get her a laptop for christmas.

My siblings are wanting to get her a 13-inch macbook air. I have personally never used a mac, so I can't speak to the benefits, but i can name a few right off the top of my head such as it comes with the softwares she needs and works with her phone/ipad. also i feel kind of good about putting my mom in the apple ecosystem, since it is closed off and they have enough money that i trust them (:911:) to keep my mom's stuff decently safe...kind of like putting her in a safe e-retirement community.

I'm cool with the macbook air, but I am a bit concerned about changing up her OS so late in the game. I was debating if it would be better to get her a laptop similar to the one she has been using at work for the last decade. There are no more kids around the house to help her with a new computer and OS she hasn't used before.

what does yospos think? what is a good computer for a non-technical woman or a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread