Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

imo the RIS storyline stuff in B is weighed down too much by western cop drama tropes to be worth praising, mostly in regards to the multi-episode final villain confrontation and how incredibly hard Lily gets sidelined, but the portrayal of Keith's tortured genius is also pretty bad. it's just somehow the mashup of it with the supernatural shonen revenge story works to carry the show forward, with plenty of help from a basically flawless production.

even from one episode of AICO i can already see the seams where it feels more like a tv production on Netflix vs B's movie quality. looking forward to something a bit more focused story wise though.

Try listening to the English dub of AICO. I dare you to keep it on for longer than a conversation :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I tried putting on AICO in english so I could just have it on as background noise while still sort of absorbing the plot and didn't last a minute.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm going to spoiler this because I don't want to like... WATCH ANTARTICA IF YOU HAVENT.

Holy gently caress the last few seconds of Antarica is the cutest funniest thing ever. I wasn't expecting much because I was taken aback by how the episode was all denouement when I was thinking the previous was building to something screeching. It was a fine thing, leaving. But that last exchange... I just broke up crylaughing. It burns how perfect that was.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
neat thing i just discovered: the person in charge of the mechanical designs in aico was also in charge of planetes, which also had a distinct grasp of physicality

oh and he also worked on noein

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You guys were not kidding about A Place Further Than The Universe.

I just started, but wow

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eela6 posted:

You guys were not kidding about A Place Further Than The Universe.

I just started, but wow

It gets better.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I think I got teary-eyed/cried almost every episode.

What am I going to cry about now that it's over? :negative:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

gmq posted:

There's always reality. That's not quite as fun to cry at though

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hate him

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

gmq posted:

On episode 3 and I'm already crying. This might be some kind of record.

Ed: no, I cried at the second episode of MHA, where Deku rushes out to save Bakugo and All Might is castigating himself for being pathetic, but You Say Run is some kind of emotional cheat code

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 29, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

i hate him

They had done a lot of anime references but I still was not expecting that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think references is too generous when most of it is just namedropping

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Eela6 posted:

On episode 3 and I'm already crying. This might be some kind of record.

kotoura-san episode 1

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

kotoura-san episode 1

Did this show get better after episode 3 or so? The first ep was pretty good, but the next couple of eps devolved into standard anime high school romance fluff that wasn't nearly as emotional or interesting and I droped it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Julias posted:

Did this show get better after episode 3 or so? The first ep was pretty good, but the next couple of eps devolved into standard anime high school romance fluff that wasn't nearly as emotional or interesting and I droped it.

It sorta stays around there iirc. The drama picks back up in time for the ending, but not as severe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Marchen Madchen episode 10 is out and the animation is passable. The clock error is still present, but that's just because they reused the graphic. Lynne Davis also gives an info dump of why she's an unrepentant heel via a tragic backstory of being an orphan living under a "perverted priest" before being adopted by her MIC daddy with the willingness to do anything for him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Koi wa Amaegari just finished and it was super good, strongly recommended.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Killing Bites once again proving it's the best anime of the season with last weeks episode.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Killing Bites once again proving it's the best anime of the season with last weeks episode.

Seconded. That was just fantastic.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

big rip to another bad season

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Bad opinion

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Motto posted:

big rip to another bad season

Your posts are a really big rip

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Your posts are a really big rip

Turn your monitor on

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
They didn't really dwell on it in How to Keep a Mummy but the collector guy really got it rough at the end. Also, I like the fact that they didn't forget that Mogi has some freakish strength. Ending was fun too.

I'm not sure I'd call it great, but if you want a show to relax to How to Keep a Mummy was quite good at that. Pretty good and an easy watch.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Fire Barrel posted:

They didn't really dwell on it in How to Keep a Mummy but the collector guy really got it rough at the end. Also, I like the fact that they didn't forget that Mogi has some freakish strength. Ending was fun too.

I'm not sure I'd call it great, but if you want a show to relax to How to Keep a Mummy was quite good at that. Pretty good and an easy watch.

I loved How To Keep A Mummy. That show has a really good heart, and drat it, it was cute!

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Eela6 posted:

I loved How To Keep A Mummy. That show has a really good heart, and drat it, it was cute!

That was basically my reaction. It felt very earnest (in a good way) and hooked me pretty early on with its execution. The main cast was also likeable, which is always nice! There are some elements that felt a bit weak but the overall execution was really solid.

I wouldn't have guessed it at first, but it definitely became one of my favorite shows of the season - especially with all the stress I've had going on recently.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Now that the winter season is pretty much finished:

Best Show: A Place Further Than The Universe*
Best Boy: TIE: Zorome (FranXX), Tazuki (Mummy)
Best Girl: Shirase (A Place Further Than The Universe)
Best OP: A Place Further Than The Universe
Best ED: How to Keep A Mummy
Most Relentlessly Owned: Nishkata
Cutest Non-Human Creature, Maybe Ever: Mii-kun
Still thinking about: Hellshake Yano
Best show I didn't watch: YuruCamp

*I'm still really early in, so this is a little premature, but unless this takes a Geass-style faceplant, I feel comfortable with this decision.

_

Unrelated, but I'm not the only one who felt some chemistry between Tazuki and Sora in Mummy, right?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The best show that nobody watched is Hakumei to Mikochi and I would have been perfectly happy if it was the only thing that aired for winter season.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm begging anyone who enjoyed Hakumei to read the manga it's one of the absolute best currently running and has a lot of material I'm p sure didn't get adapted

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I just wish it had more than 40 chapters available so I wouldn't have to ration them out, it's getting me to leave the house with my camera to get landscape reference to draw though so I'll make my own adventures.

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 30, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite was Yurucamp because it was relentlessly silly and I just needed that pick-me-up. :3:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yurucamp was best show of the season, with the best OP and the best girl

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the yurucamp op looks garish and is a wall imitation of the Jackson 5

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
yuru was a snoozefest

the best show of the season was... uh... the only thing I watched to completion was Devilman Crybaby but I watched ACCA this season and that was great

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Yurucamp set a very high bar for any subsequent AotY contenders to get over.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paracelsus posted:

Yurucamp set a very high bar for any subsequent AotY contenders to get over.

I have faith in Gundam Build Divers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Takagi-san had the best op but Yurucamp's was pretty good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Best Show: aikatsu stars
Best Boy: the russian guy in aikatsu stars who just says 'harasho' over and over
Best Girl: aikatsu stars?
Best OP: aikatsu stars

tbh im gonna stop here because this joke isnt very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

the yurucamp op looks garish and is a wall imitation of the Jackson 5
One heckuva AV/post combo there.

• Locked thread