Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Yurucamp was great, but I'm going to have to give my aots to A Place Further Than The Universe. Been a while since an anime made me laugh and cry as much as this did, if ever.

Best OP would probably be Fate Extra since hair down Red Saber is just an awesome look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anime of the season was definitely A Place Further than The Universe but Yuru Camp had the best OP. :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i won't be fooled by wark, i'm certain my good kokkoku av is intact

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kokkoku was actually really solid for a weird idea that lucked into being animated.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'll fully admit that I didn't watch the highlights for this season, but I'm sure they're great!

best girl is pipimi tho

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sakurazuka posted:

Takagi-san had the best op but Yurucamp's was pretty good.

Takagi-san had a great OP.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best boy is Sword

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WARNING, WARNING, POST ABOUT A 100 EPISODE LONG ANIME

Now that it's wrapping up I wanna make a big rec to Aikatsu Stars, sincerely and without bias. Aikatsu Stars is the second entry in the children's anime, Aikatsu, about a school for idols. The original series, Aikatsu, ran for five season and over 150 episodes, with a large cast change in the middle. It was a very mixed production, with the early episodes being pretty strong, the end of the first half being incredible, and then kind of trailing off into middling 'situation of the week' stuff as its cast ballooned to the point that it became impossible to give any of them a real arc or goal.

Aikatsu Stars is an entry with no real connections to the original and much more consistency. There are still some episodes where the central joke doesn't land or the drama is centered on a character who just doesn't really work at all in the context of the show (big ups to Subaru and all the other dudes, who average out to maybe 75% of a good character between the four of them) but by and large the show is legitimately sweet and incredibly funny.

While the first half is somewhat mixed (mostly, again, due to a few characters whose arcs just dont work) it's mostly a really solid, really enjoyable show with some great surreal humor and really likable characters. It's nice to have a comedy show where the characters also have clearly defined goals that they're working towards - it means that there's a lot of things the comedy can be centered around and also means that the show can shift into character work without having it feel too forced. I'd definitely rate the first half of Aikatsu Stars as a really good show, definitely one of my favorite comedies from the past couple of years.

Then, uh, the second half happened.

Elza Forte just rolls up in a boat, declares that she's an idol pirate and is gonna conquer the world, and from there the show just puts its foot to the pedal and never really stops. I've watched the entire second half and can name maybe one episode that didn't either make me laugh or make me care about the character's arcs - the humor is great in how absurd and surreal it's willing to get, it rarely stretches a gag on too long, and all the new characters introduced in the second half are both amazingly funny and legitimately likable, interesting characters. Week in and week out, it's quietly been one of the best anime running for the past year. Now that it's wrapping up its run, I feel like it deserves a shoutout and a high recommendation from me.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/324391cb25c53d0f5df7d95fdd5f1e93.mp4

I'm not gonna say it's perfect or will change how you view anime or anything, its a 100 episode long kids show. Like I said, it DOES have a few clunkers, and while I like some of the songs it still loves to reuse songs and even entire dance sequences, which is kind of the achilles heel - hinging the drama on a reused song is something that happens sometimes, and it can make stuff fall flat. If you're willing to work with it, I think the drama still works, and it leans way more into comedy than drama, but I can understand that obvious 'kids show'ness turning some people off. Not to mention, uh, it's 100 episodes long, and the show's best material starts at about episode 45. For a long running kids show that could have easily been cheap, there's some great character animation and direction in there, but there are also pretty obviously episodes that look super cheap. Also again, its a kids show, so expect lots of fairly simple morals - the show gets a little introspective in the second half, but the questions it raises are still pretty basic stuff that wouldn't go over a kids head, about on the level of your average shonen. Also, you know, it's an idol anime, and some people don't care about that, so totally fair.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/e58304d153a88ede9ac18bd7c316a069.webm

But ultimately, it's just a show I really, really like. It's a longrunning comedy that manages to only have less than a dozen episodes I'd call complete duds. I'm not sure if I've done a good job articulating why I like it so much, but nobody else on this entire subforum really talked about it for its entire two year run, and I've been watching it that whole time, so I guess I felt like it was on me.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/4360c59abcba39c0f9922350ee8842d5.mp4

Anyway, good show, give it a shot if you have, uh, 37 hours to kill. Kirara best Venus Ark, Ako best Four Star, Yuzu best S4.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 30, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

i won't be fooled by wark, i'm certain my good kokkoku av is intact
Oh, it is intact. That's not the problem, though. :smug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so what's the breakpoint on og aikatsu where it becomes not worth continuing? i already have the episodes so i'm not just gonna skip to stars

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good post Endorph

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

so what's the breakpoint on og aikatsu where it becomes not worth continuing? i already have the episodes so i'm not just gonna skip to stars
theres a pretty obvious breakpoint where the cast kinda shifts over to a new cast, and that's about the point where I feel like it gets a lot worse. You'll definitely know it when you see it. I'm not sure if I'd say fully 'not worth continuing' because it manages to pick itself up in like, the very last season by mostly going all in on absurdism and making its massive cast into almost a gag in itself with how it tosses random characters around in random combinations like it makes any kind of sense, and they do manage a few great episodes even in its worst material, but it becomes a much less consistent show at that point. Partly because the new leads are just much weaker than the old leads, and partly because by abandoning the old leads when they're in a new situation for new leads who are in the same situation the old leads were at the start of the show, it feels a lot like its treading water or covering material its already mined, both in terms of the drama and the comedy.

Anyway, I guess I'd just say watch until the new cast comes in and give three or so episodes of that stuff an honest go, and switch over to Stars if that stuff doesn't work for you. I'm not usually one for 3 episode tests but you're already like 70 episodes into OG aikatsu at that point, time clearly isnt something thats at a premium.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best character in ogkatsu is the girl who lives in the basement and pops up once every 30 episodes like shes just always been around and a major part of the cast, and everyone just goes with it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Hey, thanks for giving the shout out, Endorph. I always like when you go in the tank about some obscure corner of anime.

It's Cool To Like ThingsTM.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

For my money:

Best Show: A Place Further Than The Universe
Best Girl: Violet Evergarden (I want to put like 6 girls here jfc this season was good for girls)
Best Boy: Nishikata (Takagi-san) or Kokkoku's Grandpa
Best OP: Kokkoku
Best ED: Kokkoku or Mitsuboshi Colors
Best show I didn't watch: Koi wa Ameagari no You ni

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

best character in ogkatsu is the girl who lives in the basement and pops up once every 30 episodes like shes just always been around and a major part of the cast, and everyone just goes with it.

Haruka being introduced as the top 1st year of the Dance class in Aistars and then going off to Los Angeles, coming back every 30 episodes is still really funny to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion posted:

Haruka being introduced as the top 1st year of the Dance class in Aistars and then going off to Los Angeles, coming back every 30 episodes is still really funny to me
thats one of the best gags in the first half of aistars

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fire Barrel posted:

They didn't really dwell on it in How to Keep a Mummy but the collector guy really got it rough at the end. Also, I like the fact that they didn't forget that Mogi has some freakish strength. Ending was fun too.

I'm not sure I'd call it great, but if you want a show to relax to How to Keep a Mummy was quite good at that. Pretty good and an easy watch.

I hope it gets a second season. They left a bunch of little plot hooks dangling that I'd like to see play out.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dogsicle posted:

the yurucamp op looks garish and is a wall imitation of the Jackson 5

imo when making an op you should not make people think they are about to listen to one of the best pop songs ever and then not be that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but it is one of the best pop songs ever?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the yurucamp op is not one of the best pop songs ever

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Liver Disaster posted:

The best show that nobody watched is Hakumei to Mikochi and I would have been perfectly happy if it was the only thing that aired for winter season.

Sadly Reality Answer: Saiki Kusuo's 2nd season, because it fell through the streaming cracks and you have to use early 2000s Internet Tactics to watch it, but has continued its top-notch comedy from the first season.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i just download the subs with my name on it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

please update the op

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853097

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Liver Disaster posted:

The best show that nobody watched is Hakumei to Mikochi and I would have been perfectly happy if it was the only thing that aired for winter season.

Winter season was good enough that I can't support the second half of this but big :agreed: to the first half

https://files.catbox.moe/1mms0d.webm
This was a really good episode to end on and I hope that the anime leads to the manga being licensed here, and a second season

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It also had my favourite OP/ED of the season

https://files.catbox.moe/6nqbkz.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DoxVFjb88

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

I hope it gets a second season. They left a bunch of little plot hooks dangling that I'd like to see play out.

If it did well enough I could see it getting another season. I think the comic is still going and, if I recall correctly, Crunchy actually funded some of the show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aikatsu Stars started a bit slow but once it got going it probably was the best version of Aikatsu and Elza vs Yume was a great feud.

Not sure I can handle Pripara and Aikatsu getting new casts at the same time. Used to it on Precure but still it can be rough

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Best show: A Place Further Than The Universe

Comfiest show: Yuru Camp

Other shows I watched to completion:
- Pop Team Epic: Some really good sketches, but watching every episode twice got real old real fast.
- Slow Start: Extremely moe, extremely thirsty at times. Pretty funny though, I will watch the second season.
- FranXX: Subtle as a brick, but well-animated and increasingly well-developed characters. Will keep watching.
- Citrus: Bit too episodic, would have preferred a single narrative arch with more consistent characters.
- The gay hitmen show: Really dumb and tonally all over the place, but still pretty entertaining.

Shows I dropped:
- Junji Ito Collection: lovely direction, looked like a mid-2000's Flash animation. Dropped after one episode.
- Koizumi-san: Did not care for the characters, especially the main girl. Dropped after two or three episodes.
- Maerchen Maedchen: Dumb concept, but it could've worked if the production hadn't been a mess. Four episodes.
- Katana Maidens: Left no lasting impressions, good or bad. One episode.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
My Winter Season retrospective with completely subjective grades:

March Lion S2 cour 2: A++ IMO the best anime with episodes airing this season by a decent margin. I cannot fanboy over this series enough, please watch 3-gatsu no Lion.

A Place Further Than the Universe: A+ incredibly good, especially since I went in with zero expectations and got a wonderful boatfull of feels.

Yuru Camp: A+ exactly what I wanted out of the adaptation, very well put together plus great voice acting and soundtrack to boot. Where can I apply to join Secret Society BLANKET?

Citrus: B+ pretty enjoyable yuri melodrama, but inherited a lot of awkward pacing (and hell, writing in general) from the source material.

Takagi-san: B cute and funny but it felt a bit dragged-out. Maybe 12-minute episodes would have been a better fit, although I did enjoy the segments with the side trio girls just as much as the main couple so who knows.

Darling in the FranXZXZXXXX: B LMBHO (this means "laughing my butt handles off" for you fellow olds who don't know this fancy new internet lingo)

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san: C why did I watch every episode of this instead of watching more Hakumei or Violet Evergarden? I guess it was easy to put on while I ate a meal, and totally inoffensive except for the episode where the main character goes full yandere and slaughters the rest of the cast (that's a lie, I made that up, they just eat noodles and gyoza and stuff).

Mitsuboshi Colors: C- this adaptation was low-effort and it shows to an annoyingly high degree. The manga is good, so just read that instead.
:goonsay:

Pop Team Epic: S Perfect! Accuracy 100% Hoooooly poo poo I love this stupid show and all of the people who helped to make it.

Shows that I watched two episodes of, but will absolutely find time to finish soon because I liked what I saw: Violet Evergarden, Hakumei and Mikochi.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Well, Killing Bites had an ending!

My AOTS: Yurucamp (with nods to Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho & Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)

Best Girl: Shirase

Best Boy: Kondo

Best OP: Yurucamp

Best Anime I Didn’t Watch: Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

superLINUS posted:

Holy poo poo that ending.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I can't watch the last episode of Killing Bites yet, because whoever uploaded it for Amazon Canada removed every single subtitle option except for Dutch. This goes back into previous episode as well. What kind of system do they have where they have the ability to do that?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Just finished up Ramens and Dagashi Kashi 2. I really liked Ramens and generally liked the attitudes the characters had towards their respective lines of work. Kept things pretty fun, even when a lot of the content was quite dark. Maybe my favorite show of winter? I would happily watch a second season..

Dagashi Kashi 2 ended like I suspected it would, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and felt that, overall, it was better than the first season. The pacing, the delivery of the gags, all of that was tighter and I think that it was noticeable.

Still have yet to finish Garo, but it looked like it was building up to some crazy stuff. (Still have 22-24).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm OK with how Dagashi Kashi ended. It wasn't Coconuts rejecting the revere-Manic Pixie Dream Girl who wanted to destroy his dreams and rededicating himself to manga, which is what I wanted but can admit was unrealistic. But changing the dynamic to being about multiple competing forces pulling him different ways instead of just Hotaru and his dad trying to get him to give up on his own goals was a step in the right direction.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

superLINUS posted:

My AOTS: Yurucamp (with nods to Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho & Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)

Best Girl: Shirase

Best Boy: Kondo

Best OP: Yurucamp

Best Anime I Didn’t Watch: Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

Did the one with the sharper fangs win?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chumbler posted:

Did the one with the sharper fangs win?

Nope

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad they killed everyone who opposed the legalization of cat girls

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
At this point I'm making sure to chug a glass of water before I watch an episode of A Place Further Than The Universe so I don't get dehydrated.

This is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

WARNING, WARNING, POST ABOUT A 100 EPISODE LONG ANIME

Now that it's wrapping up I wanna make a big rec to Aikatsu Stars,

I just watched the first two episodes because of this post. I didn't expect the dubstep ending song :pcgaming:

• Locked thread