Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Patriots fans stumping for a rule that literally won a game, secured a division championship AND likely gave them homefield advantage throughout the playoffs -- even tho they benefited from a missed call on the same rule via Brandin Cooks vs the Texans???

Guys, that's so surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

It's a good ruile when it doesn't apply to the Patriots

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Is your posting anything other than pot calling kettle black? Are you aware of the team you root for? Do you have any self awareness?

Uh, I'm pointing a red arrow at your homerism, son

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

This is the same opinion I've had on the catch rule forever. I don't think there is a great obvious solution.

It's more than a little funny that yours is the loudest defense of a lovely rule and ruling among a significant number of posters who have even been qualifiying their posts with "I hate the Steelers, but that's a touchdown"

I mean, I'm still bemused you had the stones to say that I'm the un-self-aware one in this dumb b.s.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean maybe it's the lawyer in me, but just because a million talking heads say something doesn't change the black and white rules.

The rules for determining a catch right now lead to a few results that upset people, but generally speaking they do a good job solving a lot of problems inherent to any other rule scheme. I'm not saying the rule is perfect. I'd love it if Dez had caught that pass, but he didn't.

The bottom line is there's no way to transition to a runner as you're falling. If you regain your footing and get upright with possession, you're a runner now. Simply moving in the direction of the endzone as you're falling doesn't change that.

Let's Pharisee obvious football plays to death. It's certainly good for the sport

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

You have spent the last 48 hours crowing about "HOMER PATRIOTS FANS", despite being the living embodiment of a Steelers homer.

I'm just saying the call was bullshit. Im not the one rules lawyering myself through hoops to justify a cheap win when it was exactly that -- a win the Pats don't deserve. It's pretty easy for you to just recognize that and move on, but that's just not the Patriot Way

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

The call was correct. The rule is bullshit. Most people here agree on this. I'm not justifying anything, we're talking about what changes should be made to the catch rule in the future and I'm skeptical that it will get better. I'm sorry that you are personally offended by this discussion. Maybe take a breather.

I'm not sure how you can be so tone deaf. I've literally been making fun of you FOR 48 HOURS!!!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

And yeah i'm probably a moron but still there needs to be as much subjective bias removed as possible to a situation. The process rule does occasional bad outcomes but provides a quickly applicable and clear cut standard.

Even with the strict interpretation of the rule, it's still subject to the people ruling on it, and in this instance ( and others), it lead to a game changing outcome with significant consequences. It's not good optics, and the rule has caused more problems than it has solved

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

little munchkin posted:

as a patriots fan i still think the catch rule is dumb, but the steelers lost any sympathy when afterwards they decided to hurriedly run a play with 10 seconds and no timeouts then throw the ball into a guy surrounded by five defenders

Fair, but there was both uncalled defensive holding by Rowe, and uncalled offsides by 2 Pats players, so you get no concessions from me

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

wahh

there are missed calls in literally every football game ever who cares. let me know when it's a 15 yarder that goes uncalled

Lol you Pats fans really hate hearing that the refs handed you a game, even after giving up a 69 yard catch and run, setting up the go-ahead score with under 30 seconds left in the game. It literally took taking points off of the scoreboard for you to win. Nothing is going to change that

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

you sound mad bro try being less passive-aggressive angry, we can all see right through it (and you)

What part of that post was passive? Can't possibly be more direct with you

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

you're not very assertive so every post you make just sort of comes out like a quiet, squeaky fart. if you're gonna meltdown, do it properly, for the good of all TFF this holiday season

Lmao you assholes really think you deserved that win hahaha

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

evilweasel posted:

why would we hate hearing that? it owns. you guys lost in pretty much several of the most infuriating ways possible, at once. you lost to a last minute brady nonsense in a game you dominated AND to an obnoxious rule AND to your quarterback throwing to the entire patriots secondary at once leading to a game-sealing interception on a game you had going to overtime at a bare minimum locked down.

its so glorious that we can be like lol yeah that's a terrible rule it should be fixed because that makes it better

I've been waiting for this turn since Sunday, but sadly everyone else is rules lawyering, and you are in fact the 1st person to say this

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

All i wanted for Christmas was for the miserable Nice Guy Pats Poster routine to be exposed for the fraud it is. Thanks, evilweasel

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't understand what subjective means in this context. There isn't a subjective nature to the current rule. If you go to the ground in the process of catching you must maintain possession throughout.

Also you feel that it's only caused problems because you don't notice all the situations where any of the proposed rules or the old rules would have problems.

Like every game there are catches that are clearly ruled as not catches by the standard that go without any fanfare that would become ambiguous and game changing.

You are incorrect, as the rule is inconsistently applied. CF: The Patriots victory sealing TD vs the Texans this very season.

Everything said after is dismissable due to the false premise.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

Why aren't people mad that Rivers made the probowl over Alex

Well, Alex was only good for a month at the beginning of the season, then poo poo for 6 consecutive weeks, then decent for the last couple

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Joe Flacco hasn't had a functioning, healthy offensive line in 3+ seasons, and his best WRs are Mike Wallace and the ghost of Jeremy Maclin. I can't imagine why he dumps off every play and his numbers suck :iiam:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Throwing to the outside where only AB has a chance to catch it - good play.

Throwing it 5yards into a mass of humanity in the middle of the field - a bad play.

Really appreciate the Patriots' fan perspective here. Great insight

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

It seems like a random Patriots fan has a better understanding of the game of football than the Steelers starting QB.

Kinda funny.

Maybe you should follow your dreams so no one has to read your posts.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Naturally Selected posted:

Enough salt to bankrupt morton's, right here.

It's true. Im salty that know-it-all Pats posters get to make smug de facto posts re-writing the narrative of a game the Patriots literally needed a gift call from officiating to win. This salt is unnatural or something

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

sean10mm posted:

The more you piss and moan, the more the insufferable Pats fans win, you know.

Is that so? Seems to me like y'all are so insecure that there's a string of you hopping into the thread to back a literal nazi lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I dunno, toothless Twitter Nazi vs rapist QB who doesn't understand clock management is a tough call

#winning

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

the_steve posted:

I try not to ignore anybody, if only because I like watching retards try to asspull reasons for how that was totally a legit victory for the Patriots and not a giftwrapped screwjob from New York.

No, it was Ben Roethlisberger throwing a redzone INT that lost the game, not the fortutitous taking points off of the scoreboard after the great Patriots players allowed a 70 yard catch and run followed a blown coverage TD. They intercepted on the do-over. Get it right.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Lot of ppl mad about proper rule enforcement against a rapist and a team of cheapshot artists ITT

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

three posted:

Is "Useless backup X" better than James Harrison? Seems odd.

The Steelers have been dropping their OLBs into pass coverage all season thanks to the d-line getting pressure without blitzing (they're 2nd in sacks behind Jax), and 40 year-old James Harrison can't run with the young bucks anymore. Brady isolated him in coverage last year, and it didn't go well

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

You gotta hold a guy like Tomlin close. Hes the best coach in a long long time.

I really love the Steelers, but Tomlin would need an infinite ladder or some sort of Space-X tech to get on Darth Hoodie's level.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Steelers are probably the most inconsistent team in the league.

They still win but coaching wise they got a Detroit lion thing going on,

You say this through the lens of having an all-time great coach. 30 other teams would love to be as inconsistent as the Steelers

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah, and to be fair it's also not nearly as bad as the Lions.

Just weird seeing talk of him as greatest of all time but I guess that is K being K.

It's not realistic. You cannot make that argument for Tomlin, but you certainly can for BB. He's coached in 9 SBs and won 7. That's Greatest of All Time conversation

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

i don’t know how anyone else is even in the conversation this point. between Belichick’s sustained high-level success and the way Belichick has both evolved and innovated his game plans, i don’t know of any other coach on his level.

His name is now on par with names like Lombardi, Brown, Halas and Lambeau in this goon's opinion

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

If there were a World War event maybe the Ravens and Steelers would have to merge into one team. I wanna see that now.

I would be proud of this team, no qualifiers

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

If I were the Browns, I wouldn't dare draft Mayfield. He's too small to play in the AFCN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Deebo can't cover anymore, even in zone, so every time he sees the field it's a telegraphed pass rush.

Also, his contract was minimal, so he didn't clear waivers due to that

• Locked thread