Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I got:

Heat Signature - Haven't played it a lot, yet I like what I've played so far.
They are Billions - I've always liked RTS games but I'm terrible at them, so a single player one you can pause is right up my alley. Haven't played it more than a few minutes yet.
Planet Coaster - The price was right and it just looks like a lot of fun even if I just play around with other people's parks.
TW: Warhammer 2 Tomb Kings expansion - I will probably buy and love everything they release for these games, and this looks like one of their best expansion races yet.

I have a long long list of games to play before I seriously get to any of these, but I got a steam card for Xmas and I just couldn't resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I bought Passpartout - The Starving Artist during the sale and thought it was a really cool idea that wasn't that well implemented and felt a bit grindy

I think it's the kind of game I'd much rather play on a mobile platform because drawing with the mouse certainly wasn't helping my enjoyment of it. Now that I think of it a Switch port would actually be perfect for something like that.

Also I was hoping for Factorio to go on sale, it didn't go on sale and then I bought it anyway under pressure from friends and lost many good days over Christmas to it

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, between Black Friday and Winter Sales, I've gotten:

PS4:
Bloodborne Complete
Wipeout Omega
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0
Until Dawn
Journey
Stardust Ultra
Uncharted 4

PC:
Night in the Woods
Prey
Rez Infinite
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Caves of Qud
Open Sorcery
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dark Souls 3 (Gifted to me by Kragger99 who is a God walking amongst mere mortals)

This is not even counting my gigantic backlog, so I think I got enough games to last me until forever. Only thing I'll buy before next winter sale is Nier: Automata which I didn't buy during Black Friday/Halloween because I thought it'd go on sale again and surprisingly didn't :(.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, between Black Friday and Winter Sales, I've gotten:

PS4:
Bloodborne Complete
Wipeout Omega
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0
Until Dawn
Journey
Stardust Ultra
Uncharted 4

PC:
Night in the Woods
Prey
Rez Infinite
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Caves of Qud
Open Sorcery
Dark Souls 3 (Gifted to me by Kragger99 who is a God walking amongst mere mortals)

This is not even counting my gigantic backlog, so I think I got enough games to last me until forever. Only thing I'll buy before next winter sale is Nier: Automata which I didn't buy during Black Friday/Halloween because I thought it'd go on sale again and surprisingly didn't :(.

Nice. Bloodborne and HZD alone justified my PS4 purchase. You have a lot of great games there.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

John Murdoch posted:

Valve became a hypercapitalistic hell company a long time ago. In some ways it's even sadder because instead of naked greed like you'd expect to see from such a huge rear end company, they've seemingly deluded themselves into thinking that everything they do is towards some higher purpose of "giving the customers what they want" but mysteriously almost every project they've done since then has involved more ways to suck money out of users, a whole lot of it in the form of gambling-lite, blind box horseshit. IE, the same stuff that's (finally) getting other companies raked over the coals this year. Meanwhile it took years of begging for them to finally realize that a handful of Valve employees on their coffee breaks couldn't be the entire support team for a userbase of millions, and they only started offering refunds because EU regulations forced them to.

By all accounts prices are determined by the publisher, which is why there are swaths of games that will never, ever go on sale - the publisher is either defunct or just doesn't care. At best, I've heard murmurings that Valve gives broad suggestions, but the tone of that is less "thou shalt not discount your game more than 30%" and more "your game needs to have something to do with spooky poo poo if you wanna be a part of the official Halloween sale, anyway it's Oct. 25th to Nov. 2nd, okbye".

Honestly, things have changed so much compared to the wild days of -99% flash deals and lovely community vote sales that I think it's dumb as hell to point to any single thing and go "this fucker right here killed the fun of Steam sales".
Valve stopped being hyperCapitalistic, whatever the hell that is supposed to be, when they blocked regional trading. Nothing makes a better bullet in the foot than restricting selling options.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
bring back amazon tony

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I hope I'm not late to this whole Steam sale thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh well. Happy New Year everybody!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

Oh well. Happy New Year everybody!

Don't worry, there'll be more sales soon, and the big summer sale isn't that far away! :)

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I picked up dead cells late into the sale. What an amazing rogue like. Everyone should have picked it up.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

My haul. Favorites are in bold.
4 Different Total Warhammer (I) DLC. This turned out to be a mistake because after playing the DLC dwarf campaign for about 20 hours I'm 90% certain that I'm bored of the Total War game series now.

Fiddy cent games:
PARTICLE MACE: I've played mission mode a bunch, it's definitely worth fifty cents. (I had to disable steam controller support in order to get this to work with my PS4 controller)
Snuggle Truck: Meh.
Bot Vice: I haven't played it much, but it's already been worth it.
Ground Pounders: I tried this but couldn't figure it out, I'll come back to it sometime.
DRAGON: A Game About a Dragon - Haven't really tried this yet.
AuroraRL: Hugely disappointing. I love the free roguelike Prospector, and this seems similar but with Star Control 2 stuff like a storyline, meeting cool aliens, research, etc. It sucks though and hasn't been updated for a year even though it's early access. I rarely bother refunding cheap games but I made an exception in this case.

Approximately one dollar club:
One Finger Death Punch: Way better than I was expecting.
Weebish Mines: Brings back good feelings in me. Playing this feels like exploring an old school handcrafted world like the first Zelda, or Pitfall 2. Because that's exactly what it is.

Approximately ten dollar club:
Pyre: I love Bastion and love Transistor even more. I also love this, but not as much as their past two games. It took a long, long time for the game to get hard enough for me. I didn't lose a single fight on normal difficulty until about halfway in. Even then I was just activating all the titan stars to bump up the difficulty.
Copy Kitty: Goons recommended this. I played for about an hour, beat the fire ant thing and got to the stage with the shield guys. It seems like a good game, but I just wasn't feeling it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Stuff I got this sale. A lot of them were from the gift train

Gonna be playing very soon tier:
The Sexy Brutale
Pyre
Night in the Woods
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Ladykiller in a Bind
Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Still high up there but not something I'll get to immediately tier:
Vanquish
Dead Cells
Cuphead
West of Loathing
Prey
Open Sorcery

Already played before but now they aren't a pain to patch/just grab tier:
Planescape Torment: Enhanced
Umineko Question Arc
Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Gotta play the first game still tier:
The Banner Saga 2
Grow Up
Company of Heroes 2

Been on the middle of the wishlist forever tier:
Stray Cat Crossing
Rebel Galaxy

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 7, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

My haul was:

Early sale cheap games:
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - First mission seemed OK but I'll probably wait until I can play it coop.
Deathstate - Need to go back to this, so far it's interesting.

Christmas gifts:
Night in the Woods - Beaten already, amazing game. Perfect blend of funny, cute and depressing.
Momodora 4 - Working through this slowly, very satisfying gameplay.

Gift train gifts:
Unexplored - I'm doing one or two runs a day, since they're fairly short at the moment. Fun, some really cool ideas but hard to make meaningful progress in so far.
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Fantastic gunplay, the shotgun is amazing, this game is good.
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - I enjoyed this when it first came out on the 360, will enjoy going through it again when I've cleared some of my backlog.
Ori and the Blind Forest - Looks beautiful and controls really smoothly.
Caves of Qud - Probably the best "traditional" roguelike I've played, addictive and wonderfully weird. Also I keep dying, a lot.
Cuphead - I've beaten a bunch of the famously hard games but Cuphead is really making me work for it. Fun to play, so satisfying to beat a level, very very hard.

Xander77 gift:
Tempest - I did a mini-review of this in the Steam thread, I like what it's trying to do but the melee combat is really bad.

Last minute "I just got some money and can't wait until the next sale to play these" panic buys:
Battle Brothers - This is really good and exactly what I hoped. I'm losing a lot of brothers. This sale has made me feel like I'm worse at video games than I thought.
Darkwood - I love the atmosphere and the systems seem interesting. I played up to the start of the first night so I'm curious if that will manage to not be boring.
The Sea Will Claim Everything - The writing and amount of stuff to click on seem great, but I'm putting this off until I've finished some other stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Everyone in this thread has excellent taste! :cheers:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh yeah I bought a bunch of stuff in the PSN sale too like uhhhhh

Persona 4 Dancing All Night
The FF9 port for PS4
The MGS2/3 HD collection for Vita
MGS1 PS Classic
Batman Return to Arkham
Momodora
Probably some other stuff I forgot too

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

My choices were kind of eclectic I guess:

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Torchlight
Neon Chrome
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Distant Worlds
Steam Link
Bot Vice
Pyre

Naturally I haven't touched any of them yet.

But I wouldn't have looked at Bot Vice without this thread, and Distant Worlds moved up the list because of the chat about it too. I think it's still a good thread.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Deathstate
The Cave
Jydge
Sniper elite 3
And a friend gifted me Doom

I have too much in my backlog already, and I just keep playing the division.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I used to poo poo on haul posts but since we're feeling nostalgic, I'll play along. I actually only bought one thing for myself this sale, Omegaland, for all of $0.89. A bunch of super generous goons and other folks made sure I had plenty to play... pretty much indefinitely, though:

The End is Nigh
Wuppo
Life is Hard
Grim Legends: Song of the Dark Swan
Memoria
Hitman GO
Stellaris
Dark Scavenger
Darkwood
Virginia
Aviary Attorney
Dogolrax
Hidden Folks
Dungeon Souls
To The Capital
Omega Strike
Clash Force
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Bit Blaster XL
Orbt XL
Diamo XL
Bot Vice
Super Star Path
Strikey Sisters
Shotgun Legend
Broken Armor

Y'all will hear what I think of all these eventually, but drat I don't know how long it's going to take. I got like 10 games last winter sale and it took the whole year to review all of them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My haul:

Hidden Folks (beaten)
Old man's journey
Cryptark
Xanadu Next
Ray Gigant
Cat Quest (iOS)
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
House of Da Vinci (iOS)
Skylar & Plux
Drawn the Painted Tower
Cold Fear
Call of Juarez Bound in Blood
Alicemare (beaten)
1bitheart (beaten)
Elminage Gothic
Stray Cat Crossing
Midnight @ the Celestial Palace
Leaving Lyndow
Asemblance
The Fidelio Incident
Dead Secret
Nothing Ever Remains Obscure
Empathy: Path of Whispers
Haven Moon
Costume Quest 2
Rhiannon
Barrow Hill: The Dark Path
Recursed
Arkham Knight (PS4)
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4)
Suikoden IV (PS3)
Nioh (PS4)
Lightning Returns (PS3)
DA: Inquisition (PS4)
Torin's Passage (GOG)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Lowen posted:

Weebish Mines: Brings back good feelings in me. Playing this feels like exploring an old school handcrafted world like the first Zelda, or Pitfall 2. Because that's exactly what it is.

The combination of "exploring", "handcrafted world" and "Zelda" made me look this up and it looks like a proper hidden gem, something I'd be unlikely to run across on my own. One for the next sale.

Haul-postin' justified!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Weebish Mines looks like it's inspired more by Legacy of the Wizard.

I hope it's much better than that game, because the level design in Legacy of the Wizard is WAY too convoluted and the amount of backtracking is inexcusable.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Yeah the store page straight up mentions Legacy of the Wizard. I never had an NES so I don't know, but looking at it I definitely don't expect Zelda gameplay. I just like exploring large, detailed worlds, and handcrafted is often preferable to procedural, so that hooked me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hollandia posted:

Deathstate
The Cave
Jydge
Sniper elite 3
And a friend gifted me Doom

I have too much in my backlog already, and I just keep playing the division.

If you ever get around to it (and are in the mood for a "twin-stick"-style shooter), for some reason I really fell in love with Deathstate. It's actually more of a "one-stick" shooter, and the initial difficulty (or lack thereof) suggests it's a game you can sleepwalk through. But then you realize that it's the lowest of 4 or 5 difficulty settings, that things can get a lot harder, and that there's a decent amount of content hidden in the game. The tiny community never really reached the critical mass necessary for players to painstakingly catalog every secret, so there are still quite a few mysteries surrounding the game. Beyond that, I really adore the weird convergence of Lovecraftian elements and pixel art and the large selection of characters to choose from.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Since I had to go add Weebish Mines to my wishlist anyway, my tiny haul:

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Open Sorcery
Stories: Path of Destinies
Bot Vice
Strikey Sisters
Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition
Pre-Dynastic Egypt
American Truck Simulator + DLC
And finally, Diablo 3 the complete package, which is what's been actually sucking up my time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Former Human posted:

Weebish Mines looks like it's inspired more by Legacy of the Wizard.

I hope it's much better than that game, because the level design in Legacy of the Wizard is WAY too convoluted and the amount of backtracking is inexcusable.

The fact that Legacy of the Wizard and Trails of Cold Steel are technically part of the same series is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If you ever get around to it (and are in the mood for a "twin-stick"-style shooter), for some reason I really fell in love with Deathstate. It's actually more of a "one-stick" shooter, and the initial difficulty (or lack thereof) suggests it's a game you can sleepwalk through. But then you realize that it's the lowest of 4 or 5 difficulty settings, that things can get a lot harder, and that there's a decent amount of content hidden in the game. The tiny community never really reached the critical mass necessary for players to painstakingly catalog every secret, so there are still quite a few mysteries surrounding the game. Beyond that, I really adore the weird convergence of Lovecraftian elements and pixel art and the large selection of characters to choose from.

Yeah I already took a brief crack at it and had a lot of fun, good to hear it has some depth. I'm looking forward to giving it the time it deserves.

• Locked thread