Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I bought Ricochet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

12 rides on the gift train, 100+ goons gifted... yeah, it was a nice sale.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Qud kicks rear end, thanks to all for the recommendation. Just what I needed after a bunch of 3D open world AAA games this year.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Pretty much the only time I feel self-conscious about how much time I spend gaming and with tech in general is when my IRL friends take weeks to accept the games I gift them during the Steam winter sale.

Also a guy I know initially rejected my copy of LISA because some lovely YouTuber had convinced him that it was a troll game, which is just depressing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Guy Mann posted:

Also a guy I know initially rejected my copy of LISA because some lovely YouTuber had convinced him that it was a troll game, which is just depressing.
This?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Man, LISA is a great, weird, memorable RPG. I still can't believe that it was all made by one dude.

I can definitely see where somebody might think it's a "troll" game, though.

EDIT: Still love this trailer.

quote:

A FEW STRONG MEN

A SEA OF DIPSHITS

AND PERVERTS

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 6, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Its time to stick a fork in this thread.

It's honestly kind of depressing. I think it's time for sale threads to be gone with, there isn't much to discuss that isn't just left in the Steam thread and because even that thread generally moves pretty slow now-a-days. Seeing the day-0 dead sale thread like this hurts, I even kind of miss pages and pages of ~myhaul~

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Valve killed sales with their refund policy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nah the crazy discounts stopped before the refund system didn't it? I think its more Valve realized that having AA and AAA titles getting 75-90% discounts was probably hurting profits more than helping.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xaris posted:

Its time to stick a fork in this thread.

It's honestly kind of depressing. I think it's time for sale threads to be gone with, there isn't much to discuss that isn't just left in the Steam thread and because even that thread generally moves pretty slow now-a-days. Seeing the day-0 dead sale thread like this hurts, I even kind of miss pages and pages of ~myhaul~
I mean, people wouldn't stop bitching about haul posts in past sales, so naturally they've disappeared.

I think people just need to get over the fact that Flash Deals are never coming back and move on. The daily voting deal was always terrible too because people voted for the worst one every time.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Flash deals were so great though. Really gave me something to look forward to as I checked every day.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Flash Deals was the good kind of Gamification where it rewarded vigilance and interaction. I don't give a poo poo about cards.

I think Steam Sales are still good but margins on games seem smaller across the board, and we're not buying up large unclaimed swaths of the Steam library all at once anymore. It's certainly less exciting, and I'm not buying nearly as much, but I think that's more a reflection of my consumption habits and bloated backlog than it is the sale being bad.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Nah the crazy discounts stopped before the refund system didn't it? I think its more Valve realized that having AA and AAA titles getting 75-90% discounts was probably hurting profits more than helping.

Yeah but what if said gamea are 3+ years old? Might as well give a steep discount then. I'd rather they skip the weekend deals and do proper sales again. Give us fewer deals in general but better ones twice a year during summer and winter sale.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Hopper posted:

Valve killed sales with their refund policy

People keep saying that, but I don't think it's true

There's nothing stopping them from handling refunds differently for discounted items just like every other retailer does. They could even just do a blanket "No Refunds for Flash Sales" if they didn't want to fiddle with it

Valve is so profit obsessed that I'm sure the removal of Flash Sales was because they weren't as profitable as their current model. It seems counter-intuitive to me, but then again I still buy things every Steam sale, so, :shrug:

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Thanks to everyone who recommended Hiveswap. I thoroughly enjoyed Act 1 for never playing point and click adventure games.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It is weird. It always seemed to me valve was one of the "good ones" because they don't need to feed shareholders with ever increaing roi demands. But even though they must earn shitloads from card sales alone, they seem to be going for maximum profit hard. Unless publishers don't allow deep discounts any more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

People keep saying that, but I don't think it's true

There's nothing stopping them from handling refunds differently for discounted items just like every other retailer does. They could even just do a blanket "No Refunds for Flash Sales" if they didn't want to fiddle with it

Valve is so profit obsessed that I'm sure the removal of Flash Sales was because they weren't as profitable as their current model. It seems counter-intuitive to me, but then again I still buy things every Steam sale, so, :shrug:

Not legal in Europe.

If the product is faulty you need to able to return it even if it was on sale.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 6, 2018

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
What's missing is some kind of neat metagame. The awards are the most lacklustre thing ever.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The most recent Steam sales really have been lame, honestly. I still buy things and feel like I'm getting a good deal on most of them, but the the static prices and dull "sideshows" (i.e. steam awards) make me nostalgic for the days when crazy flash sales kicked off every 8 hours and dumb voting games inflicted sharp price cuts on random products, and Steam's servers were crumbling under the weight of ten million nerds playing whatever stupid mini-game the sale had. It felt like a chaotic event--one where you'd literally snooze and lose if something was discounted for 80-90% off at a weird point in your timezone--whereas more recent sales feel more like Steam giving you a generous 10 days to figure out if you finally want to buy Dying Light for 60% off.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress flash sales and short sales, I don't like having to constantly check steam for something I'd like or missing out

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

gently caress flash sales and short sales, I don't like having to constantly check steam for something I'd like or missing out

Eat poo poo, you're the reason why everything sucks and is poo poo now, and why Valve is making fake card games instead of tying up loose ends on certain IPs.

Basically what I'm saying is that I still have a Red Team wallpaper from when I was on the winning team for the 2014 Summer Adventure Steam Sale, and it marks a high point in my gaming career.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

God forbid you miss a deal! Entitled babies like you are why we can't have nice sales.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hopper posted:

It is weird. It always seemed to me valve was one of the "good ones" because they don't need to feed shareholders with ever increaing roi demands. But even though they must earn shitloads from card sales alone, they seem to be going for maximum profit hard. Unless publishers don't allow deep discounts any more.

Valve became a hypercapitalistic hell company a long time ago. In some ways it's even sadder because instead of naked greed like you'd expect to see from such a huge rear end company, they've seemingly deluded themselves into thinking that everything they do is towards some higher purpose of "giving the customers what they want" but mysteriously almost every project they've done since then has involved more ways to suck money out of users, a whole lot of it in the form of gambling-lite, blind box horseshit. IE, the same stuff that's (finally) getting other companies raked over the coals this year. Meanwhile it took years of begging for them to finally realize that a handful of Valve employees on their coffee breaks couldn't be the entire support team for a userbase of millions, and they only started offering refunds because EU regulations forced them to.

By all accounts prices are determined by the publisher, which is why there are swaths of games that will never, ever go on sale - the publisher is either defunct or just doesn't care. At best, I've heard murmurings that Valve gives broad suggestions, but the tone of that is less "thou shalt not discount your game more than 30%" and more "your game needs to have something to do with spooky poo poo if you wanna be a part of the official Halloween sale, anyway it's Oct. 25th to Nov. 2nd, okbye".

Honestly, things have changed so much compared to the wild days of -99% flash deals and lovely community vote sales that I think it's dumb as hell to point to any single thing and go "this fucker right here killed the fun of Steam sales".

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 6, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

What's missing is some kind of neat metagame. The awards are the most lacklustre thing ever.

Definitely.

Remember that one summer where they had actual game content linked to the summer camp sale?

I think the dumb steam cards made Valve super lazy with the sales more than anything.

The regional locks basically loving over gifting killed a lot of fun of it too. As a Canadian Valve's message to me is basically "gently caress off, no gifting or gift receiving for you."

I've started buying from gog more partly out of spite.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Meanwhile it took years of begging for them to finally realize that a handful of Valve employees on their coffee breaks couldn't be the entire support team for a userbase of millions, and they only started offering refunds because EU regulations forced them to.
When did this happen?

Did it happen?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also a lot of it just comes down to scale. Even if you remove every last "unworthy" game from the equation the market is huge. Consider the bluster a few years ago when indie games were being crowded off the new releases list by other, lesser games. Same exact thing applies to sales.

It's no longer remotely fair for Valve to give special attention to 12~ random indie games as part of a gimmick when instead of out of about maybe 50 it's now out of about 1000. Similarly, indies racing to the bottom themselves stops working when every flash 50c sale has to compete with not only every other indie game crashing down to that price, but also the endless murk of lovely game-like objects/asset flips/Russian money laundering schemes/two second mobile ports/achievement get games that are basically never not priced at 49-99c. It's also not a sustainable, healthy way to sell a game; I'd rather indies price fairly and get what they ought to then chase a huge number of sales, only 10% of which might actually launch the game someday.

Xander77 posted:

When did this happen?

Did it happen?

Which part? Valve certainly talked a bit about finally relenting to hiring a goddamn support team at some point. I guess I'm not absolutely sure if they properly followed through with that.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 6, 2018

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I think Valve advises on discounts, but doesn't set them for third parties. Valve games are almost always 90%+ off on sale, but then, they make most of their profit on their games through microtransactions/ market fees now anyway.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Valve's modus operandi is to offload everything onto the end user. They just think it's good enough and call it a day.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I really liked seeing people post their hauls because it brought to my attention games that may be worth checking out. But I guess most folks here expect you to have encyclopedic knowledge of all available games on Steam, cue whining about hauls, etc. Oh well...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trickyblackjack posted:

I really liked seeing people post their hauls because it brought to my attention games that may be worth checking out. But I guess most folks here expect you to have encyclopedic knowledge of all available games on Steam, cue whining about hauls, etc. Oh well...

Okay, here goes! I got a stupid big haul this Christmas between the gift train and getting a few giftcards from my friends.

God Eater 1+2 - anime monster hunter. The PC controls are actually good except that the camera is controlled by the mouse, which is, uh. Not great. Other than that it runs great!
Baldur's Gate - The most 90s rpg fantasy novel. I'm digging it, even if I'm now trying to figure out how to kill a bandit without getting my rogue killed.
Maia - One man colony survival sim, definitely early access. I love its atmosphere but haven't properly dug into it yet.
Neofeud - The graphics alone sell this game as art. It's a point n' click adventure that's completely insane.
Nex Machina - Doesn't work on my laptop. :(
Rise to Ruins - Be a god, build a village, kind of like Rimworld but more arcade-y.
Heart of the House - A CYOA with good writing and actual nonbinary representation
Iron Brigade - Giant robots!
Aselia the Eternal - An old visual novel mixed with a strategy game.
DeathComing - Like Where's Waldo/Hidden Folks but you have to click on things so that they'll kill the people in the scene. Really charmingly morbid!
Gettysburg: The Tide Turns - Surprisingly pretty wargame. Slimmed down, good for casual wargaming.
Sol Trader - One man social combat(?) trading game. It's weird and I'm digging how you have to fish for information from people? Need to spend more time with it.
The Binding of Isaac - I finally bit the bullet and checked this out and y'know what? Monolith is better.
Roundabout - spinning limo with FMV goofiness, need to actually boot this.
Strikey Sisters - Decent, worth the 50 cents it cost.
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol - Need to boot this.
Crusader Kings II DLC - I need to play as a Viking.
Road Not Taken - Puzzling + clutter = throwing items at each other in a fairytale winter tale about death.
Planescape Torment - Why is the writing in this game so good
Nights of Azure - Simple hack n' slash with Pokemon-lite and a yuri plot. I need to buy a controller to really get this though.
Door Kickers: Action Squad - Broforce but slower and more tactical.
ibb & obb: My friend bought me this specifically so we could play it together and we had a good time. :D
Tyranny: Words words words I can't wait to read this :D
Distant Worlds: "the best 4x ever"
Flix and Chill 1+2: :sigh:
Bomber Crew: Manage a bombing plane to wreck Nazis. Slower than I expected but fun?
Sexy Brutale: Not sure if I like this yet.
Bastard Bonds: A man very into beefcake and gay sex made a slimmed down srpg and it's p. good!
Card Quest: Send help I can't stop playing this
Kindred Spirits on the Roof: A sweet yuri visual novel :kimchi:
Hidden Folks: This game is the most chill and fun
Logistical DLC: These goods ain't gonna move themselves
Fantasy Mosaics 17+18: Picross!
Ground Pounders: "The worst wargame on steam"
Earth Defense Force: For a buck I will shoot insects
Halfway: XCOM + deserted ship and a story = hmmmmmm.
TiTs SC: I need to finish the first one!
Opus Magnum: I am too dumb for this game but it's so pretty and satisfying that I play it anyways.
Lost Dimension: An SRPG where your people get removed from the party because you're voting out a traitor. I dig it!
Starbound: It's Terraia but now I'm a bird
Dead Cells: It controls insanely well and I want to sit and really dig into it
Space Tyrant: A slimmed down 4X that feels like a boardgame but in a good way? I'm enjoying it!
Blockwick 2: An incredible puzzle game with really neat twists.
Sinless: Bad adventure game.
Sudoku Universe: Good sudoku!
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: It's not Burnout Paradise, but it's still fun.
X3: Probably the only spaceship sim I'll ever need.
StarCrawlers: I'm not far in enough to judge its balance but it's a good sci-fi dungeoncrawler and I dig the classes so far!
Monolith: REALLY good twin stick shooter.

Whew! My backlog is the worst, but that's how I like it. :D

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
My haul:

- Axiom Verge - throwback metroidvania with a lot of polish (finished it in 2 days with ~50%, really liked it)
- Talos Principle + DLC - FPS puzzles with a cool narrative (about 60% of puzzles in the main game finished in 8 hours, loving good game)
- Unexplored - real time roguelike/action (did a bunch of runs over 6 hours, enjoyable but this probably isn't going to be a 'forever' game for me like Nuclear Throne, Isaac or Qud)
- Dungeon Warfare - classic tower defense (most of the way through after about 14 hours, good TD game!)
- Dishonored 2 + DLC - immersive sim (played the first 2 missions, loved the first game).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I only played two games from my haul thus far. Impressions:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
BLURRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hopper posted:

God forbid you miss a deal! Entitled babies like you are why we can't have nice sales.

Lmfao what is this poo poo

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought:

Cuphead - Beat it in a few days, really great game
Vanquish
Nadia Was Here
Bot Vice
American Truck Simulator

Probably something else that I forgot too

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This sale bought:
Dirt Rally...at mmoga for half the price it was on steam.

That's all.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Yeah, it's become so difficult so find games on Steam that filtering what's available through other people's hauls/wishlists is a pretty good way to do it.

I got:

- Stardew Valley
- Hollow Knight
- Out There Somewhere
- Qora
- Adventure in the Tower of Flight
- Xeodrifter
- The Way
- Risen 3 - Complete Edition
- Pharaoh Rebirth
- Hylics
- The Preposterous Awesomeness of Everything
- Crystal Shard Adventure Bundle
- Dogolrax
- Glass Masquerade
- Low Magic Age
- Lost Phone Stories (A Normal Lost Phone + Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story)
- Omegaland

I can't comment on any of them though because I started Stardew Valley two weeks ago and have played only Stardew Valley since, and will play only Stardew Valley for the foreseeable future. I'm only like three fish away from a complete collection. :argh: Trying to resist looking them up in the wiki.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah, it's become so difficult so find games on Steam that filtering what's available through other people's hauls/wishlists is a pretty good way to do it.

I got:

- Stardew Valley
- Hollow Knight
- Out There Somewhere
- Qora
- Adventure in the Tower of Flight
- Xeodrifter
- The Way
- Risen 3 - Complete Edition
- Pharaoh Rebirth
- Hylics
- The Preposterous Awesomeness of Everything
- Crystal Shard Adventure Bundle
- Dogolrax
- Glass Masquerade
- Low Magic Age
- Lost Phone Stories (A Normal Lost Phone + Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story)
- Omegaland

I can't comment on any of them though because I started Stardew Valley two weeks ago and have played only Stardew Valley since, and will play only Stardew Valley for the foreseeable future. I'm only like three fish away from a complete collection. :argh: Trying to resist looking them up in the wiki.

Some fish you can only get after you've beaten the game I think. Good luck, be patient!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Some fish you can only get after you've beaten the game I think. Good luck, be patient!

Yeah, this isn't the kind of game where I want to dwell on completion too much, it's way too relaxing for that and I don't want to spoil that. I figure eventually I'll be at the right place at the right time and they'll show up. :)

• Locked thread