Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I am so down for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

God had to make a creation called man, who would be infused with the Trinity's Divine DNA, making them true sons of God.
God is an idiot god who is compelled to do the dance of creation.

quote:

Lucifer's heart became bitterly black, a sullen wasteland of wicked sin, causing his very molecular structure to become infused with sulfur bacterium, which began to eat at his actual being

For a hyper intelligent being, Lucifer didn't notice the miasmic humors affecting him (any medicine of sufficient advancement is indistinguishable from medieval medicine). I'm willing to bet his spirit-blood pH was out of whack as well.

So much to unpack in those quoted passages.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A human heart posted:

I don't think it's a very good joke if the book looks nothing like Joyce at all

Fucks sake.

The point isn't that it looks like Joyce. It's that the story so far appears to the be a fevered stream of consciousness by a religious nut. It's not that long of a walk to make a middling joke (the connecting tissue being "stream of consciousness" if you need it spelled out).

You're either being deliberately obtuse or you're an idiot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spelling and punctuation is completely optional for this guy, isn't it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

Across the black abyss in the Mystic Sea on the Angelic planet Rahab, concealed by the cloak of secret shadows, sits Babylon. This city of erotic evil is the center of Satan's rebellion.

I finally realized something that's been tickling the back of my mind since this started. This guy is trying to ape Simon R. Green. Very poorly, but now that I see it, it's so obvious to me now.

Also, my alignment is erotic evil.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Gonna form a death metal band called Seeds of Evil, and the first song will be "Intellectual Filth".

I'll open for you with my prog-rock band Apricot Sun. Our set is just a single 45 minute song called DNA for Satan (Omega 7)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

How do you keep going in the face of... this?

For some reason this lept out and assaulted my think-meats.

quote:

The Armored Triad Assault Destroyers stand over 300 feet high and are a mammoth 600 feet in width. Each Destroyer is constructed from a 100 million tons of reinforced black diamond alloyed steel and travels upon elongated wheels, which have six foot long protruding metal spikes, that helps the gigantic machines travel quickly upon all different kinds of terrain.

Actually not "some reason"

That much weight on such a small footprint should, at the very least, deform the earth's surface if not punch through the crust altogether.

Leaving that aside, I'm guessing there's more than one but even if there's only that one not that much mass changing position on the surface of the earth is probably enough to change the planet's moment of inertia, seriously loving with the rotation of the earth.

I'm not even touching the "black diamond alloyed steel"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, take heart from the views.

I think a lot of the lack of commentary is it's hard to write coherently when the brain is stunned from the contents of this book. I know I have to focus on a specific passage in my comments. If I tried to address your summary and quotes as a whole, I'd lock up in indecision on what to address first and how far down the rabbit hole I'd go. I'm afraid I'd start and still be writing two days later in a state of numb outrage at this all-out assault on not only narrative fiction, but on the English language as a whole.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

"Yes, but their mating rituals are fascinating.... and the female humanoids are succulent. Look at her, she's radiant, listen to her moans, she wants to be ravaged, taken by a horse, not some puny humanoid."

Yep. There it is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You know the more you post, the more I'm convinced that if the author had created a timeline and plot outline, he'd be halfway to a perfectly competent novel. I'm not saying it would be good, but a lot the confusion arising from this would be addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spelling, grammar errors, and plain old making up words aside, Robinson writes like he's paid by the word. Why use two words when five will suffice? Kind of like an anti-Hemingway.

• Locked thread