Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For once, I'm not the one reading the terrible book for a thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is the "drunken James Joyce" people were promised in my Furlites of Aroriel thread! And yeah, I'm not sure I have any plans to return to that book. It's just becoming so hard to read I can't even get entertainment out of it.

quote:

United Federation of Kingdom Nations

Ah, the UFKN (pronounced "You-Fuckin").

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A human heart posted:

Except that the style here isn't very similar to Joyce at all.

Yes please provide accurate literary criticism to my joke about a crazy person’s religious sci-fi book.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Please stop posting about yourself.

I was talking about this book.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

going from organized chaos to psycho insanity in just a matter of moments.

Was he talking about the fight or his book?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whybird posted:

There's a style of writing that I'm seeing here and that shows up a lot in other amateur works, and I don't know if there's a name for it. It's like the author has imagined a film and is transcribing what happens onto the page. Everything in this book is described in terms of a thing that could happen on a camera, either because the author originally had an idea for a film and couldn't finance it, or because the author has seen lots and lots of films and not read very many books.

I think that’s exactly it. I wrote like that when I was 13.

My brain is fighting against understanding this. All the words make sense, but it’s like he took LSD during a fever dream and transcribed the book over the course of a single night. Does he even remember writing this or did it appear fully formed in the morning like when Stephen King was on his cocaine benders?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We need to create a wiki to try and keep all of this straight.

quote:

"Just as Satan has foreseen ... what of Ra?"

"He and Isis are instructing the humanoids in the Forbidden Knowledge and establishing the first Mystery School."

Oh no! They're creating the first detective fiction!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna form a death metal band called Seeds of Evil, and the first song will be "Intellectual Filth".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wonder how long it took those dark gods to arrange 10,000 corpses into pentagrams. Were they big pentagrams or did they just use one body for each line?

Also I think I found the soundtrack for evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfXmy6YCnZc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The extremely detailed descriptions that defy any kind of logic makes it sound like he's actually describing something seen in a hallucination.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, take heart from the views.

I think a lot of the lack of commentary is it's hard to write coherently when the brain is stunned from the contents of this book. I know I have to focus on a specific passage in my comments. If I tried to address your summary and quotes as a whole, I'd lock up in indecision on what to address first and how far down the rabbit hole I'd go. I'm afraid I'd start and still be writing two days later in a state of numb outrage at this all-out assault on not only narrative fiction, but on the English language as a whole.

It really takes effort to parse this. Even without the spelling and grammatical mistakes, it's as dense as uranium and spilling over with superfluous and sometimes seemingly impossible detail. Trying to build a mental image of the scene in your mind is like sensory overload.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tulul posted:

Hyper-specific descriptions of everything is very Biblical, although it's hard to tell if that's intentional or the byproduct of bad writing.

For the sake of the OP, hopefully the book won't go into lineages.

Has there been any indication of why the Bible got into such specific measurements?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Queen Maud Land, home of the drunken sentimentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What level of decadence is opium candles? That’s almost as bad as speed metal!

• Locked thread