Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

OwO what's this?
FF15 at least from what I've gathered is an open world JRPG that whose main focus is politics. Well, the main focus is the son and friends of a kingdom which is under some turmoil from another nation. Noctis finds himself in an arranged marriage to a princess of another nation. Which, he's known since he was a kid, but it's been 12 years since they've seen each other. Of-course nothing is ever simple and quickly after chapter one is when things start going downhill.

Note~ I will be heavily editing the videos in the near future. So no more 2 minute long loads, and backtracking through areas will be cut down heavily.

Spoilers
Well seeing as this is a completely BLIND let's play.... Let's keep the spoilers down to a minimum, I don't mind game tips that I might not have thought about or something like that but when it's spoilers about the game itself and its story that's a big NO!
Not even in spoiler tags. We can talk about it after it happens.

Let's Play Homework
So there's a few things you should probably watch before getting into the game or even the let's play. The anime Brotherhood and the movie Kingsglaive. I didn't watch kingsglaive until a good way into the thing, but probably best to watch it after chapter 1. Brotherhood I haven't watched yet but these were designed to be watched before the game was even released so it's probably a good idea to watch them. Gives you some more of the world.

Videos

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Reserved for whatever reason

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is the first Final Fantasy I've been willing to touch and I enjoyed what I played until I decided to backburner it until they were done patching and adding to it.

Now, of course, I'm waiting for the same, but on the PC. :sigh:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

gschmidl posted:

This is the first Final Fantasy I've been willing to touch and I enjoyed what I played until I decided to backburner it until they were done patching and adding to it.

Now, of course, I'm waiting for the same, but on the PC. :sigh:

That's what I've heard is a lot of people been waiting for patches and all that.

I think recently the released Episode Ignas? So now all 3 episodes are up and I guess there's nothing left?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zain posted:

That's what I've heard is a lot of people been waiting for patches and all that.

I think recently the released Episode Ignas? So now all 3 episodes are up and I guess there's nothing left?

You'd think, but

quote:

If you thought that Episode Ignis would be the last of the Final Fantasy XV DLCs, you'll be pleased to know that Square Enix actually has a new roadmap of content for 2018. This includes at least three more "Episode" style DLCs, starting with Episode: Ardyn.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I just bit the bullet and played through it. I liked it enough to replay it in like March 2019 when everything is out anyway. The ability to switch to controlling anyone they added with the latest update really loving helps. It and the Type-D.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

gschmidl posted:

You'd think, but

GOD drat IT! I thought I was "good" in LPing the game in its full entirety. I'm sure it'll last long enough for a few more episodes to be released. I'm glad it's being supported but god drat.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I just bit the bullet and played through it. I liked it enough to replay it in like March 2019 when everything is out anyway. The ability to switch to controlling anyone they added with the latest update really loving helps. It and the Type-D.

The type D is silly and not quite sure why you'd want to use it when you have chocobos.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zain posted:

The type D is silly and not quite sure why you'd want to use it when you have chocobos.

Because it's silly. Also it gets sick air. Also way faster.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Update

So we learn a little bit about hunts today. (I'll say this over the few videos) but I'm going to assume they're going to be like how FF12 did hunts. Early hunts are kind of meh kill things hunts and the later hunts will be the real cool poo poo. Chapter 1 does seem to be the Tutorial Chapter, which means we'll probably be in it for a few more updates I'm sorry to say. But don't you worry! We'll get more into the story here soon.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
In on the ground floor! Despite its flaws, FFXV is one of my favorite Final Fantasies (and the patches since the release have fixed some of the worst stuff).

Some small tips:

• Yes, you only cash in XP while resting. Resting at inns gives you an XP bonus, while resting at camp lets Ignis cook for you. You can do some minmax stuff with a DLC item that lets you not cash in experience so you can save it for the inn with the biggest bonus, but you really don't have to worry about it.
  • Most hunts don't have too much interesting content, so don't worry about grabbing all of them for that reason. They're best for XP, money, and items. Some of the later hunts have fun bosses, but you need to get up in hunt level to take them; you might want to do the lesser hunts offscreen if they feel boring.
  • You can take pictures through one of the menus on R2.
  • There's a postgame where you can finish hunts and all other sidequests, along with some new ones. Also, what seems like a point of no return in the plot lets you travel back and screw around, so nothing is missable.
  • If you're doing the DLC Episodes, wait until after the game instead of where they come in the plot. Episode Gladiolus hints at a pretty big spoiler, and Prompto and Ignis are full of them.
  • The Cup Noodle hat is free DLC and is exactly what it sounds like but better.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

jaclynhyde posted:

In on the ground floor! Despite its flaws, FFXV is one of my favorite Final Fantasies (and the patches since the release have fixed some of the worst stuff).

Some small tips:

• Yes, you only cash in XP while resting. Resting at inns gives you an XP bonus, while resting at camp lets Ignis cook for you. You can do some minmax stuff with a DLC item that lets you not cash in experience so you can save it for the inn with the biggest bonus, but you really don't have to worry about it.
  • Most hunts don't have too much interesting content, so don't worry about grabbing all of them for that reason. They're best for XP, money, and items. Some of the later hunts have fun bosses, but you need to get up in hunt level to take them; you might want to do the lesser hunts offscreen if they feel boring.
  • You can take pictures through one of the menus on R2.
  • There's a postgame where you can finish hunts and all other sidequests, along with some new ones. Also, what seems like a point of no return in the plot lets you travel back and screw around, so nothing is missable.
  • If you're doing the DLC Episodes, wait until after the game instead of where they come in the plot. Episode Gladiolus hints at a pretty big spoiler, and Prompto and Ignis are full of them.
  • The Cup Noodle hat is free DLC and is exactly what it sounds like but better.

So the cup noodle hat is something I did find out and it's in a later video. I was going to put the episodes in where they were supposed to be or so I was told by a friend.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Episode Prompto spoils a relatively minor point that comes up a few chapters after it, but Episode Ignis explicitly spoils the entire ending.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

jaclynhyde posted:

Episode Prompto spoils a relatively minor point that comes up a few chapters after it, but Episode Ignis explicitly spoils the entire ending.

Alright! I'll make sure to play that AFTER I beat the game.

Assassin's Festival... Is that a thing that people want me to show off? I did download it. Just not sure if it's really of value.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zain posted:

Alright! I'll make sure to play that AFTER I beat the game.

Assassin's Festival... Is that a thing that people want me to show off? I did download it. Just not sure if it's really of value.

It's pretty funny. Nothing amazing but pretty high effort for a free bit of product placement. Wait til after you've been to Lestallum in game though. It does't spoil anything I don't think but it does involve the local NPCs.

I'd say do it, but I've done it myself so I won't be heartbroken if you skip it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's pretty funny. Nothing amazing but pretty high effort for a free bit of product placement. Wait til after you've been to Lestallum in game though. It does't spoil anything I don't think but it does involve the local NPCs.

I'd say do it, but I've done it myself so I won't be heartbroken if you skip it.

Oh yeah! Bit of spoilers I'm there and some of the things I've done have been larger than life. So I'm good there. But now everything is closed off so I might as well do that content.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have only played FF1, FF2, and FF3/6 (and I did waste a few months playing FFXI when I was younger), so going into this one was a big switch for me. I'm in Chapter 5 and honestly I keep playing it but I don't know if I like it. I think I just want to play turn based sprite games rather than this weird jumping around nonsense, there's also soooo much loving downtime where you're just watching a car drive for 5 minutes to the next quest marker which sucks rear end when you're old and don't have a ton of time to play video games.

I also don't like any of the characters and they all look super dumb and I wish I could change their outfits beyond "remove jacket when they complain that it is hot out"

anyway I will probably follow along with this maybe it will give me more appreciation

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So far my only gripe seems to be is... I'm 5 chapters in, and I don't think I've really had a real BOSS fight. Everything has been sorta normal mobs and anything that I thought was a boss before was more like a normal mook that died in a few hits. I feel like being 5 chapters in there should have been a real boss fight.

I disagree I like all the characters. They feel very real, and even the journey so far seems pretty grounded over all.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

X-Mas Update

Merry Christmas everyone! Normally I only post wed/thurs for updates but since it's the Eve and (I celebrate on the eve) figure give you guys a present of an additional episode. We hit the road after a few hunts, meet Lunafreya's pet Umbra who is a good boy and must be protected at all costs.

I will say Episode 4 will be full of side quests and only side quests. So I don't blame you if you wanted to skip that one.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Side-Questing

So this update is primarily about the good ol fashion side quests. I know that is super interesting for people and I don't blame anyone for skipping this one. Tomorrow we're back to main questing.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Running around happily murdering things while wearing a giant Cup Noodle on your head: the true FFXV experience.

I never messed around with magic much besides saving up the powerful stuff for a really annoying enemy type; the mixing just felt super tedious to me. You can make some absurdly good stuff if you mix the right ingredients, though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

jaclynhyde posted:

Running around happily murdering things while wearing a giant Cup Noodle on your head: the true FFXV experience.

I never messed around with magic much besides saving up the powerful stuff for a really annoying enemy type; the mixing just felt super tedious to me. You can make some absurdly good stuff if you mix the right ingredients, though.

Oh yeah! I quickly get a handle on mixing magics. Long story short MAGIC IS STUPIDLY BROKEN IN THIS GAME. You'll see in future episodes sure, but make no mistake on how utterly OP they made magic... Even if they've put SOME limitations on it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mysterious Update

Who is this strange man that looks a bit like a vagrant? Well we won't find out for a while or if you watched Kingsglaive before this point. Which if you had... SHAME ON YOU! It's not your time to be cheating on the story thus far. I told you after chapter 1 which will happen during episode 7 is when we finish Chapter 1. Things start to open up to us a lot more after Chapter 1 since it's more of a tutorial type chapter.

Zain fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 29, 2017

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zain posted:

Mysterious Update

Who is this strange man that looks a bit like a vagrant? Well we won't find out for a while or if you watched Kingsglaive before this point. Which if you had... SHAME ON YOU! It's not your time to be cheating on the story thus far. I told you after chapter 1 which will happen during episode 7 is when we finish Chapter 1. Things start to open up to us a lot more after Chapter 1 since it's more of a tutorial type chapter.

I like how much barely hidden enthusiasm leaking through his normal apathetic tone Noct's VA manages to give him when fishing comes up. It's really a good bit of characterisation.

Also I loving love the currently unnamed flashy guy. He's one of the best in the series.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 31, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh Food, you're going to love him going forward. There will be a few videos before we see him again, but you're really going to love him. He reminds me a bit of another FF character too. But that will be later for the breakdown.

All the voice actors really nailed their parts I believe. Noct is probably the weakest point, but even then he's still really good at what he does.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zain posted:

Oh Food, you're going to love him going forward. There will be a few videos before we see him again, but you're really going to love him. He reminds me a bit of another FF character too. But that will be later for the breakdown.

All the voice actors really nailed their parts I believe. Noct is probably the weakest point, but even then he's still really good at what he does.

Oh I've beaten the game. I'm saying I loving love unnamed man and really enjoy seeing his early appearances with future context.

Also I really disagree on Noct, I feel like he's one of the stand outs VA wise. Unlike a lot of VAs that do characters with a flat moody affectation I feel like Noctis' guy really sells having other emotions hidden (often poorly) beneath it.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 2, 2018

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh I've beaten the game. I'm saying I loving love unnamed man and really enjoy seeing his early appearances with future context.

Also I really disagree on Noct, I feel like he's one of the stand outs VA wise. Unlike a lot of VAs that do characters with a flat moody affectation I feel like Noctis' guy really sells having other emotions hidden (often poorly) beneath it.

I won't argue that point because he's very much a better moody protagonist than most. Especially coming from Dirge of Cerberus which was... :staredog: Vincent's whole characterization was so bad and honestly Steve Blum didn't do a great job with that performance.

As moody as Noct is I can't say that I HATE him or anything. He isn't annoying about his dejection, so that's always a plus.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Unnamed vagrant is also one of my favorites in all of Final Fantasy, and agreed that Noct's voice acting is really good! I think it comes out more later on when you see more of his range, but I also love how excited he is about things like fishing and friendly cats.

Also I hope you got him a massage.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I don't think I have that option yet? I'll have to check it out again.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The Lead Up

So this is basically the last video until poo poo hits the fan. I find out what the Type-D is.... We run into some interesting creatures of the land as well. So one things I do like is the showing of these fantastical creatures and maybe in the hopes that we'd actually fight them in the near future.

Also I will note that these have been recorded over a month ago, so if I slip up and say gypsy at any point in them I'm sorry for not knowing better at the time

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember first time I played that race, I didn't even know you could warp-strike cheat your way to victory. Nope, had to actually get the stamina bar to constantly show on screen and use the trick where you stop at the last minute and it recharges completely so you can keep running. I don't think there's any actual difference if you win or lose either.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Press F to pay Respects

This is it! After messing around for a bit we're finally going to finish off chapter 1. The other chapters will go by much quicker so don't you worry about that. But with the launch of this episode it's a good idea to watch Kingsglaive. It fills in the missing pieces of what happened leading up to Noct's road trip and what happened during that cutscene.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That scene where the empire fucks up Insomnia's business plays better than I remember, but it still bothers me that that's edited and abridged footage straight from Kingsglaive. Apparently in the actual movie, there was a whole exchange between King Regis and the emperor, leading up to poo poo hitting the fan. And I remember the Magitek soldiers being weak, but most of them were only level 3? This is basically a plot cutscene battle at this point.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

That scene where the empire fucks up Insomnia's business plays better than I remember, but it still bothers me that that's edited and abridged footage straight from Kingsglaive. Apparently in the actual movie, there was a whole exchange between King Regis and the emperor, leading up to poo poo hitting the fan. And I remember the Magitek soldiers being weak, but most of them were only level 3? This is basically a plot cutscene battle at this point.

Yeah, I don't know if the edited scenes were to make you watch kingsglaive or what... It's a shame because you don't really know what the empire really is or why any of this is happening until you play it.

Magitek Soldiers are kind of weak still, but they come in such a mass in the wild that it's just a huge pain in the rear end to deal with them, but you get things like Megitekboosters which is great for spell crafting!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Zain posted:

But with the launch of this episode it's a good idea to watch Kingsglaive. It fills in the missing pieces of what happened leading up to Noct's road trip and what happened during that cutscene.

Did you mean we should watch Kingsglaive before, or after, watching this episode?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Tax Refund posted:

Did you mean we should watch Kingsglaive before, or after, watching this episode?

Probably after but before doesn't hurt at this point.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm a butt and forgot to update

So I got lost into editing audio for episodes 18-20 that I totally forgot to update! So nothing major really happens here mostly just doing sidequest, but from here on out we'll try to do some more major quest and storyline quests every video. I can't fully promise when that hits but it will be very soon™

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Magic is so bloody overpowered in this game. I guess this is where they get the idea of a Final Fantasy for newcomers, but still. I'm surprised Gladio wasn't finished off right then and there.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Update

We're not going to back down. Holding on until our hands and minds are bleeding. This is our birthright! That's right we're continuing on again with more of that old fashioned story of love and revenge. Told time and time again.

But on the serious note, we finally are going on to reclaim what is ours. Weapons of our ancestors which I guess are super powerful but drain our health so it's a big pain in the rear end to use them, but hey at least they unlock abilities for us the more we use.

Shitenshi posted:

Magic is so bloody overpowered in this game. I guess this is where they get the idea of a Final Fantasy for newcomers, but still. I'm surprised Gladio wasn't finished off right then and there.

Yeah magic is a bit insane

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Funny thing about levels in this game is that it's still possible through attrition to win against high level enemies like that level 32 Garulessa. It's a slog and it's unpleasant and exposes all the repetitiveness of this game's battle system to an ugly degree, but it can be done. It's just that, unless you're deliberately trying to cheat the system through a specific set of steps so you can be overleveled in no time at all, that it's usually not worth it. And I forgot if you mentioned it or not, but the BioBlaster is an FFVI reference too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Funny thing about levels in this game is that it's still possible through attrition to win against high level enemies like that level 32 Garulessa. It's a slog and it's unpleasant and exposes all the repetitiveness of this game's battle system to an ugly degree, but it can be done. It's just that, unless you're deliberately trying to cheat the system through a specific set of steps so you can be overleveled in no time at all, that it's usually not worth it. And I forgot if you mentioned it or not, but the BioBlaster is an FFVI reference too.

Pretty sure I didn't mention that. I forgot the Bioblaster was in FF6