Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Update

We just keep going on with the story~ Fighting some Empire scum left and right even if they're mostly just andies. It's amazing this guy is named Loqi because it's a total joke. Next episode we're looking after some Chocobos, aka the best part of ANY final fantasy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Having finally caught up, I'm glad to see you got to Sania, my favorite minor character! And the most annoying aspect of the game, Imperial dropships. For pretty much the entire game, I just loaded up on Thundaga and used it only on the packs of Imperials I couldn't escape.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Kewh!

We're on a Chocobo Rescue mission you guys~ Killing a nasty giant kitty that's been feasting on some birds. I was really excited to fight this Behemoth only to find out it's more of a gimmick fight than anything else. Really feel like they should have done a better "taste of things to come" cause we won't be seeing them for some time, and I do mean some time. I still haven't really encountered one in normal gameplay yet. So I can only assume there will be some at higher levels cause there always is. Either way, congrats to us for helping out some of the coolest birds in the business.

jaclynhyde posted:

Having finally caught up, I'm glad to see you got to Sania, my favorite minor character! And the most annoying aspect of the game, Imperial dropships. For pretty much the entire game, I just loaded up on Thundaga and used it only on the packs of Imperials I couldn't escape.

Yeah that's basically how I do it. I'm of-course starting to edit those annoying encounters out cause seriously gently caress those things. Apparently they stay about your character level? So that makes it even more annoying.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I really wish they had kept with a Super Sentai theme with the Magitek Exosuits. It's parody, I think that qualifies within fair use. Disgaea and Tales of the Abyss got away with that excuse, the former multiple times at that. And you'd think that Deadeye would be a LOT tougher than he is. Only level 15? Fuckin Loqi was a higher level and he was only annoying even with his soldiers surrounding him, and it's not because overpowered Cor was helping you. Make the game's first Behemoth a genuine badass.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

I really wish they had kept with a Super Sentai theme with the Magitek Exosuits. It's parody, I think that qualifies within fair use. Disgaea and Tales of the Abyss got away with that excuse, the former multiple times at that. And you'd think that Deadeye would be a LOT tougher than he is. Only level 15? Fuckin Loqi was a higher level and he was only annoying even with his soldiers surrounding him, and it's not because overpowered Cor was helping you. Make the game's first Behemoth a genuine badass.

That's what I'm talking about. I feel like they made him very foreboding to ultimately make him a chump. I know it's just to unlock chocobos, and they're loving badass. It's just make him somewhat a threat. With a name like Deadeye and the focus on "Hey he is blind in one eye" sounds like a thing to make the fight more manageable. But it's utterly disappointing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Update

We're slowing our roll with going back to side quests and the like, I can't say anything major really happened as it's mostly just hunts and cleaning up other things as much as possible. I honestly don't have much to say about this episode outside of gently caress trying to find these goddamn frogs! Who thought this was a quest we needed to have?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The game tells you to run from the Catoblepas but apparently fighting it will still register the quest as completed. It is level 38 though, so you might have lucked out on that one.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

The game tells you to run from the Catoblepas but apparently fighting it will still register the quest as completed. It is level 38 though, so you might have lucked out on that one.

The stance thing is the thing that kinda killed me. I wanted it to get super close, but I didn't know that it would immediately make Prompto take the picture.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Update

We're doing more and more sidequests. Don't worry shortly we'll be going back to the main campaign and in the future I'll be grossly cutting out all subquests since they're not really "Interesting" and all that fun jazz. It'll be basically main line quests from now on. THAT BEING SAID!!! You better believe I took footage of Cup Noodles ad... Err I mean quest. But yeah if a quest is at least halfway decent I'll try to include it but mostly it's not.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I could never get into fishing, and that's even after I stopped the main plot everytime to make sure to do all the available sidequests. I did the one thing for Coctura back at Galdin and the first Navyth sidequest, but everything else seemed like a pain. I can't remember, but I think it was because they were pretty vague on where to fish and what lures to use, not to mention they were too time specific. I never felt like waiting around in one spot just to complete a minigame, and as a result, those were the only ones missing on my list.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 25, 2018

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
HOW HAVE YOU NOT COOED OVER THE BABY CHOCOBOS YET

Also, fishing is definitely addictive, and I love the fact that there's an entire VR game where you go on a fishing date with Noct.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

And we're back!

We're rescuing some chocobos today as well as going to the crater... Sorta.

Sorry about not posting anything for a while. I've gotten really burnt out from running a few LPs for like a year straight and a few concurrent ones. NOT ONLY THAT! But some of the technical issues I've been raced with recently when making these LPs such as weird audio hitches, delay, desync, and just weird happenings. It makes for a very frustrating time to say the least.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
"It's like we're warping to another dimension!"

Shut up Prompto. I'm also curious what his photo sidequests look like in the dead of night.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

"It's like we're warping to another dimension!"

Shut up Prompto. I'm also curious what his photo sidequests look like in the dead of night.

You can't actually. It's a day only quest. He'll be like "The lighting isn't good enough"

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Date time

So the main quest seems to be, at least at this time, to take Gladio's little sister on a "date". The town is very interesting that's for sure. So I've said this in a later episode, but apparently if you play the rear end in a top hat to Iris you get AP points. Don't ask me why cause I don't know.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The product placement can get pretty bad in this game. The chairs after camping are from the Coleman outdoors company, and you can find the American Express logo on the windows of some of the gas stations.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

On the Road again

So!!! From here on out the videos will be main quest only. I'll show some of that glorious bean footage if need be for sidequests and the likes down in the corner. Even then most of the side quests don't really have great story significance so that'll be down to a minimum. That being said we're arming up for a fight, so you better believe we're fighting some interesting monsters along the way as well as going exploring in a dungeon cause all the arms are in a dungeon for some reason.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Titan of an update

This Ardyn person seems pretty suspicious, but we're going to trust him. considering I'm about 15 episodes ahead I have a few theories on what he really is, but I'm going to leave that for I guess the big plot reveal which I'm sure is going to happen at the climax.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Something weird going on with the newest video, in firefox it won't play at all and in chrome it plays at literally 1 fps

EDIT: weird, it's not just this video, but it's not all videos either

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 1, 2018

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

That constant Nag(a)

Almost immediately after Titan we have to find Ramuh doing... Ramuh things like making it rain and all that fun jaz. But you better believe we're not getting him unaccosted. OH NO! There's a dungeon to be had and learning characters on the fly that aren't really intuitive when you start with them.

Sindai posted:

Something weird going on with the newest video, in firefox it won't play at all and in chrome it plays at literally 1 fps

EDIT: weird, it's not just this video, but it's not all videos either

That's crappy, I'm not sure what's causing that, but I think it's on your side cause on mine it's perfectly fine. Maybe a restart of the client or something? I know I've had that issue back a few years where Firefox wouldn't play videos or just left youtube in an "Audio only" state.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I've been keeping up with this thread, but for some reason, eps XVI and XVII didn't show up separately, they showed up together as if you posted them one after the other. Weird...I'd been meaning to get to them nonetheless, but as soon as I do, I realize it's longer than I thought and XVIIII is out already. Hokay then!

XVI: That proprietor's son freaks me the gently caress out. What a goddamn weirdo. Also you'd be surprised how little levels don't matter in this game as much as they should. You can win against high level enemies through battles of attrition by item spamming which is pretty much cheating, but even at higher levels, sometimes enemies about 30 levels lower than me have gotten lucky and hosed me up hard, way more often than they should have. And what the hell was Iggy doing to that dead crab?

XVII: Yeah, unfortunately the video goes black at the beginning of the second drive with Ardyn, but it's only for what, a few seconds? Maybe my problem is different than the other guy's. Other than that...

You can get bonuses no matter what option you pick when accepting or refusing Ardyn making you the designated driver. And it's funny as hell to ram Ardyn's car on the way to get his reaction. Even getting a little bit ahead of him doesn't automatically gently caress up the quest. And as cool as Gladio can be, it's weird how apeshit he goes at Noct here. His Majesty ain't the one losing his cool here.

XVIII: It's weird the way they pronounce Ramuh in this game. They pronounce it with a hard m and don't even account for the h probably being silent. It's like those people that sometimes say, "Infinity lives," instead of "Infinite lives." Same way the English VA here pronounce Iris the way the Japanese do even though Iris is an English word. Also I haven't tried the character switching option yet and this is the first time seeing it. Weird to see what is essentially DLC gameplay in the main game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

I've been keeping up with this thread, but for some reason, eps XVI and XVII didn't show up separately, they showed up together as if you posted them one after the other. Weird...I'd been meaning to get to them nonetheless, but as soon as I do, I realize it's longer than I thought and XVIIII is out already. Hokay then!

XVI: That proprietor's son freaks me the gently caress out. What a goddamn weirdo. Also you'd be surprised how little levels don't matter in this game as much as they should. You can win against high level enemies through battles of attrition by item spamming which is pretty much cheating, but even at higher levels, sometimes enemies about 30 levels lower than me have gotten lucky and hosed me up hard, way more often than they should have. And what the hell was Iggy doing to that dead crab?

XVII: Yeah, unfortunately the video goes black at the beginning of the second drive with Ardyn, but it's only for what, a few seconds? Maybe my problem is different than the other guy's. Other than that...

You can get bonuses no matter what option you pick when accepting or refusing Ardyn making you the designated driver. And it's funny as hell to ram Ardyn's car on the way to get his reaction. Even getting a little bit ahead of him doesn't automatically gently caress up the quest. And as cool as Gladio can be, it's weird how apeshit he goes at Noct here. His Majesty ain't the one losing his cool here.

XVIII: It's weird the way they pronounce Ramuh in this game. They pronounce it with a hard m and don't even account for the h probably being silent. It's like those people that sometimes say, "Infinity lives," instead of "Infinite lives." Same way the English VA here pronounce Iris the way the Japanese do even though Iris is an English word. Also I haven't tried the character switching option yet and this is the first time seeing it. Weird to see what is essentially DLC gameplay in the main game.

XVI: I don't even pretend to know what Iggy does sometimes.

XVII: Is there a timestamp cause I know it was just the way the console loaded that. IT just was an abnormally long black screen.

XVIII: Yeah, I already beat Gladio's DLC and I was really surprised how much it's basically "You get to play as the DLC versions in the main game" which I'm perfectly fine with...

I'll say this in future updates cause I still want to see what the multiplayer/co-op stuff is like. Cause yeah having everyone play as well all of them would feel pretty unstoppable. Especially someone playing as Prompto with his crazy weapons.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
And now there's no problem. Must have been a glitch with Youtube on my end.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Tactical Stealth ACTION

So we're finally getting to meet some more of the key players in this game of thrones and it only really ramps up from here. A beloved character gets a massive blow to pride and now we're trying our best not to be overwhelmed.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know it's possible to revisit all the bases, because one of them has postgame bonus dungeon content, but in that one, I think the Gravity Well is the only thing worthwhile. And it's awesome to hear Ignis give the go-ahead for trashing the place after your cover's blown. It's also cool that if you went ahead and got any of the other Royal Arms, they'll actually show up in the cutscene Armiger when Noctis is ready to go apeshit on Ravus.

Also, speaking of Ardyn being awesome, Squeenix in their latest (purchasable) upgrade included a scene at the beginning of this chapter where you actually have a chat with him in the airship right after he rescues you from Titan before it cuts off to the radio transmission scene about the empire blocking the roads. It's not much but I like Squeenix still gives a poo poo about this game even down to minor details.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh really? Man I am upset that I missed out on that, but that's really cool. Basically I'm like.. I don't know half of chapter 14 before the Royal Edition came out (Which I bought).

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, I could post a vid of it if you don't mind. I don't want to jeopardize your LP or anything though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Naw, you can go for it. I don't think I can revisit the scene without playing through it all again anyway. Might as well enjoy some content that would take me a few hours to achieve.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Random update schedules

This one is a lot of dialog and not much in action, we lost a good ol boy today. And I might have thought it was Iris' fault OOPs.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
EDIT: Redacted, because for me at least, and I just noticed this because I'm a dipshit, but there are several spoiler heavy videos on the sidebar. No more of that.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The Gigantoad for the Sania quest isn't actually another dumb find the toad quest, it's an actual monster. They're enemies you can find randomly, as in I think one is available just outside the gas station you start at in Duscae as soon as the beginning of Chapter 3. If you already killed one prior to starting the quest, then it automatically registers as done, no need to kill another. Same with other quests like that. I can't remember if you already had the goods for some of the weapon upgrade quests before starting them, but they follow a similar pattern. Some of the later fishing quests involve getting stuff too, so if you already have whatever they're asking for, it's done that much quicker.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 17, 2018

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

The Gigantoad for the Sania quest isn't actually another dumb find the toad quest, it's an actual monster. They're enemies you can find randomly, as in I think one is available just outside the gas station you start at in Duscae as soon as the beginning of Chapter 3. If you already killed one prior to starting the quest, then it automatically registers as done, no need to kill another. Same with other quests like that. I can't remember if you already had the goods for some of the weapon upgrade quests before starting them, but they follow a similar pattern. Some of the later fishing quests involve getting stuff too, so if you already have whatever they're asking for, it's done that much quicker.

Oh for sure, I didn't really know or care about the upgrades though apparently I should have because the upgrades are pretty freaking great in this game. I am going back and cleaning up all or most of the quests I can before completing the game. Still not sure how to open up dungeons in a dungeon. But I've encountered a few bosses in these optional dungeons and that's fun. Helps we have an OP weapon for most of this.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Waifu 4 Laifu

We met one of the best characters! God I love everything about her introduction and fighting her was a ton of fun. I do hope we get to see more of her later on. :kimchi: Not only that we stumble on a random side quest that lead us to a kingly arms which i wasn't really expecting.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So you'll see a lot of me jumping in place trying to pick things up, if not in past/recent videos, but in future videos for sure. Apparently it's because of this.

https://twitter.com/JustSlaythe/status/976894844252672001

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only difference between a regular Phoenix Down and a Mega Phoenix is that the latter targets the whole party. And as you probably figured out, you can only use them when Noct is knocked out.

But yeah, that stealth mission was kinda annoying. The previous mission where you rescue the Regalia and nuke the place, you can fudge up the stealth mission and go to town from the beginning, even without stalling until the daylight ruins your mission and you have the go-ahead to gently caress poo poo up. So when you're level 60-70, it's so weird having to sneak around while knowing full well you can take all of them on singlehandedly. Also the Armiger usually saps away your health because the Royal Arms always take away your health to attack. Only difference is that the Armiger doesn't put you at risk of going into danger mode while attacking as opposed to simply whacking people with the Royal Arms. I'm surprised you gained health when you used it against the Bandersnatch as opposed to the imperial soldiers.

Personal reflections, first time seeing Iris in action in an encounter, first time seeing her do her limit break too. Didn't know she was such a badass. I don't know if you're intending on playing this game blind, but since you killed the Bandersnatch in Malmalam, there's a new sidequest of sorts available. I'll spill the beans if you're interested because it's definitely one of those guide dang it things.

A minor aside, Umbra is deffo a boy. It's Pryna who they were talking about as a girl.

And those lucky Japanese players. Holy poo poo that constant jumping when you mean to do something else, goddamn.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Speaking of jumping. I'm half way through video two and do you continue to constantly jump all the time or did you eventually grow out of that little habit?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

FalloutGod posted:

Speaking of jumping. I'm half way through video two and do you continue to constantly jump all the time or did you eventually grow out of that little habit?

I don't grow out of that habit. It's actually faster to move that way in towns than not. I'm sorry it's annoying, but it does speed things up a bit.

Shitenshi posted:

The only difference between a regular Phoenix Down and a Mega Phoenix is that the latter targets the whole party. And as you probably figured out, you can only use them when Noct is knocked out.

But yeah, that stealth mission was kinda annoying. The previous mission where you rescue the Regalia and nuke the place, you can fudge up the stealth mission and go to town from the beginning, even without stalling until the daylight ruins your mission and you have the go-ahead to gently caress poo poo up. So when you're level 60-70, it's so weird having to sneak around while knowing full well you can take all of them on singlehandedly. Also the Armiger usually saps away your health because the Royal Arms always take away your health to attack. Only difference is that the Armiger doesn't put you at risk of going into danger mode while attacking as opposed to simply whacking people with the Royal Arms. I'm surprised you gained health when you used it against the Bandersnatch as opposed to the imperial soldiers.

Personal reflections, first time seeing Iris in action in an encounter, first time seeing her do her limit break too. Didn't know she was such a badass. I don't know if you're intending on playing this game blind, but since you killed the Bandersnatch in Malmalam, there's a new sidequest of sorts available. I'll spill the beans if you're interested because it's definitely one of those guide dang it things.

A minor aside, Umbra is deffo a boy. It's Pryna who they were talking about as a girl.

And those lucky Japanese players. Holy poo poo that constant jumping when you mean to do something else, goddamn.

Oh I totally got it wrong with Umbra. I thought Umbra was more of a boy name for sure.

With the side quest sure lay it on me. I'm basically at end game now and I've cleared out most of the sidequests too. (Unless they're of note or not just kill stuff quests they won't be shown)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Okay so you go to the gas station of Old Lestallum in the Cleigne region, which is a completely separate area from the regular Lestallum, and now you can take on a stronger version of the Bandersnatch in the exact same area as a hunt. Only happens once you kill this regular version of the Bandersnatch in Malmalam though. There's several other weird sidequests like this too, where you defeat an area boss and then get the chance to fight a souped up version as a hunt in the exact same area. Game gives no indication this is ever an option, and if you want to fight the ultimate hunt boss, then doing these sidequests is mandatory.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Okay so you go to the gas station of Old Lestallum in the Cleigne region, which is a completely separate area from the regular Lestallum, and now you can take on a stronger version of the Bandersnatch in the exact same area as a hunt. Only happens once you kill this regular version of the Bandersnatch in Malmalam though. There's several other weird sidequests like this too, where you defeat an area boss and then get the chance to fight a souped up version as a hunt in the exact same area. Game gives no indication this is ever an option, and if you want to fight the ultimate hunt boss, then doing these sidequests is mandatory.

Ah okay! Well I did kill that Bandersnatch on a hunt. I'm leaving Zu for a real video. (I don't know if that's the ultimate hunt, but heck it's the most unique named hunt thus far)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Just the 3 of us

Well my dumbass keeps screwing up updating anything.

Anyway we've finally reached our destination only for G-Unit to leave us alone without our Fighter/Knight archetype. Which is a bit depressing, but we shall sally forth onto bigger and better things. Like meeting a special someone at the end of this video.