Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised not that Ardyn is here, there, and everywhere, but how he managed to get his car through all that muck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Shitenshi posted:

I'm surprised not that Ardyn is here, there, and everywhere, but how he managed to get his car through all that muck.

Ardyn is a very powerful man. Probably had some of the soldiers lay down so he could drive over them.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The Darkest Dungeon

This dungeon is absolutely falling apart! But that's okay cause THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME is doing us a solid by fighting with us and she is awesome. I still think this dungeon boss reminds me a lot of Valefor from FFX. Also still wondering where Carbuncle cames in. It was in the fighting tutorial, but still haven't seen it in the game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Apparently if Noct actually dies while playing on easy mode, Carbuncle will come and give a bunch of free buffs to the party. Or debuffs the enemy, I'm not sure.

And that room with all the collapsing bridges is just plain weird. I think the checks are supposed to represent bridges that have collapsed so you know not to go near them again. I think at one point I saw on the lower level that the crumbled bridge actually spontaneously regenerate itself back up, and the party actually said it was pretty goddamn weird.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Apparently if Noct actually dies while playing on easy mode, Carbuncle will come and give a bunch of free buffs to the party. Or debuffs the enemy, I'm not sure.

And that room with all the collapsing bridges is just plain weird. I think the checks are supposed to represent bridges that have collapsed so you know not to go near them again. I think at one point I saw on the lower level that the crumbled bridge actually spontaneously regenerate itself back up, and the party actually said it was pretty goddamn weird.

Yep! That's exactly what it does. I'm not sure how you're really supposed to understand the timing for it or not, but it's one of those things if you're impatient then it'll go completely unnoticed. We eventually do have to go back there for a hunt and fight the beast again. Which I did off screen cause the battle didn't really change much.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

And we're back!

And we're finally back! I'm so sorry I've had these recorded and ready to come up in forever. It's just been hard to love myself recently and well there's a lot going on. I'm starting to feel great again and I'm not completely burnt out on literally EVERYTHING. Which is a great start. I'll try to post more regularly too, but I can't guarantee that cause I'm a butt. Recently I've started to become more involved in streaming. Which you can always check it out at nights 7-10pm MST on my twitch channel if you're feeling saucy. Considering how sporadic my schedule always is I can't guarantee I'm always going to stream every day, but if I do that's the timeslot I'm doing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeaaaah, even after a year of being on the market, the cutscenes and photos are still more uncanny valley than they should be. And I've watched a couple other VLPs of Episode Gladio, and I think I remember him being completely shirtless? Maybe it's a NG+ sorta thing with this DLC, which wouldn't be surprising as redoing it does give you an overpowered tech which completely kills any challenge.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

G-Unit KILLING IT

You have NO IDEA how much I enjoy this DLC. It's really fun and I'm not sure about OP stuff right now, but we'll see our rewards for completing the DLC next video. Which is also going to be the HYPE VIDEO! That everyone should love and nobody should hate and if you hate it then you're not American. That's all I have to say about that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You know, I think I'd be making GBS threads bricks too if I my manliness was being judged on going through a cursed valley with thousand year old psychotic spirits from hell where losing the trial meant you became one of them. Your good ol dad wasn't ripped and tatted and pulling stone pillars out of the ground like you, Gladio.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gilga-BASH~

So I know everyone likes the wacky Gilgamesh, and I DON'T blame them, but there's something about this one that was just really awesome. I want more of this type of Gilgamesh too. Just wish he was main game and all that cause holy poo poo! That fight was choice! I haven't fought Car and I'm a bit afraid to, if I'm being perfectly honest. He's optional anyway, and I don't know, unless Car gives something else I don't know if I really see the point outside of the Challenge. I might just do a end of LP clean up on things such as that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, Cor is definitely unbelievably hard. And no matter how you did in the main DLC quest with regard to item use, your supplies are reduced to be as minimal as possible. Gilgamesh is a cakewalk by comparison.

Funny thing with the Gilgamesh fight, if you deliberately try to get away and lure him out far enough, he'll hit the entire arena with a nasty AOE attack. Brute force is the only way.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Yeah, Cor is definitely unbelievably hard. And no matter how you did in the main DLC quest with regard to item use, your supplies are reduced to be as minimal as possible. Gilgamesh is a cakewalk by comparison.

Funny thing with the Gilgamesh fight, if you deliberately try to get away and lure him out far enough, he'll hit the entire arena with a nasty AOE attack. Brute force is the only way.

Yeah I think I had that happen in the video? I can't recall now, but god Gilgamesh was one of the best fights ever. I really enjoyed playing as Gladio, and I know I did a mini-review of it, I still stand by how awesome that DLC was. I think they shoulda probably focused more on the 1 on 1 boss fights because they made you feel really badass.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm not sure if that multiple blades attack was the same one because I think the AOE attack I'm remembering was unavoidable. To the point that Squeenix designed it in case you tried to be a cheater. Or maybe I suck at perfect blocking.

Oh yeah, and you do get the Genji Blade for the main game. I don't remember if it's the same for the Dual Master tech, but you do get something out of it besides plot.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Take a good hard look as I'm standing on a boat!

We're actually making more progress with the story and it's going to get pretty heavy from here on in. Before then we get to enjoy being on a boat cause well we're RICH! OF-course we have a boat come on!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I love seeing peoples' first reactions to Cup Noodles-sempai.

A bit of weirdness here is that if you chat to Cor after he gives you the magic flask, he'll tell you how to use it. Strange that he's explaining basic game mechanics this far in. And if you leave it to Cid at the Altissia gates, he has a senior moment and you lose a few hundred gil.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

White Wedding Dress

So we have a plot afoot, to defeat those nasty Nibs! Will it work? You'll have to tune in next time for the thrilling conclusion of this chapter's arch.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That was some epic lag before the Weskham convo. I haven't seen that since old 16-bit JRPGs. And that lasagna is the poo poo. A 100% XP boost is amazing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Final Fantasy: Prepare to Cry Edition

This was the episode I was dreading. While generally something like this would make me put down the game for a few days, instead I felt compelled to play forward and push on. The mechanics and all that put forth though from here are super interesting and that's one of the things I sorta like about 15 is that it sorta does its own thing. It may not always work, but god drat it breaks up what you normally do from time to time.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I logged in like 90 hours on this game and that's the first time I've ever seen Prompto actually say, "Hashtag sorry not sorry." And if you think Noct was demanding there in his request, trust me that actually demanding Leviathan's power makes that look gentle by comparison. Leviathan's stats are even boosted when you do so and you get some free XP for demanding her power instead of making nice. That's just how a crazy snake goddess rolls.

Although I was around level 85 when I fought Leviathan in my game and I remember the sparring with Leviathan before Ardyn shanked Luna being a lot longer, and even when Noct goes Super Saiyan, it did feel like there was more gameplay involved. The Royal Edition updates must have made this fight even more scripted than it already was. Same with the train ride. You could walk around a lot longer and just bask in the despair while some of the passengers would even comment that Noct and his bros scared them.

And Gladio going apeshit on a man who just lost his fiance is still equal times depressing and infuriating no matter how many times you've seen it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

For sure, not only did Noct lose someone he loved, one of his good friends got seriously injured. Like it's a hugely bad day for him.

I forget which episode but we didn't upgrade to Royal edition for a while since it wasn't out yet. I did get the Royal Edition upgrade though so don't worry about that. It's a later one like Episode 37 or something. Where they nerfed a very powerful item too which I was shocked by, but I guess cause it was making everything too easy.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Oh okay, because there were some definitely new scenes there. I think some of the stuff after the Leviathan fight, like the Weskham/Camellia convo and Noct looking at the water while his friends pass him by and then he slowly rejoins them were new additions. Just didn't know if it was from some of the earlier patches or Royal Edition content.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

When your life comes crashing down

I think I'm finally able to adjust to my new job and running two jobs at once. I just need to find the energy after work to do half of the things I NEED to do. Especially to update this LP at a good time again. That being said, at least I'm not having a bad day like Noct is. When the world comes crumbling down, it does so hard.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The summoning mechanic happens at random, without warning. Even in bigtime plot battles it can show its head. And it is as awkwardly gamebreaking as you expect.

Gladio bitches at you no matter how slow you go. I got so fed up with it I started actively running to spite him. I never saw that campfire scene either. I'd say that's one of the few times where Gladio might actually have a point with how disinterested Noct seems, not even lifting his head up after Ignis sits down, but after being bitched at repeatedly and called an rear end in a top hat constantly, I'd be too depressed to get involved too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

The summoning mechanic happens at random, without warning. Even in bigtime plot battles it can show its head. And it is as awkwardly gamebreaking as you expect.

Gladio bitches at you no matter how slow you go. I got so fed up with it I started actively running to spite him. I never saw that campfire scene either. I'd say that's one of the few times where Gladio might actually have a point with how disinterested Noct seems, not even lifting his head up after Ignis sits down, but after being bitched at repeatedly and called an rear end in a top hat constantly, I'd be too depressed to get involved too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Like, yeah it's lovely on all fronts. Noct clearly feels like poo poo for everything that happened. Not sure if it's because of the love of his life died AND Iggy is blind, but like... Even one is enough to mess you up.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Ardyn's Training Day

I mean how often can you say things go from bad to worse here? It seems a bit cliche but things are ramping up more and more. I'm just surprised how much this game basically, and for the most part realistically, one ups itself. Things keep getting worse right after a breath of fresh air, and then gets worse again. They are really good at keeping this pace. Really we're going more and more into what I like about FF15 which I didn't know until I played it. The game's story is so good!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Ultimate Cold Shoulder

When it rains, it... snows? You always hear how horrible Niflheim is, but with a few exceptions you don't really KNOW how horrible they are, or even what they're capable of. That is until we find the corpse of a once great being. The ability to kill a god, that's the power that the Niflheim army can achieve.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm so glad none of these cutscenes are prerendered.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
31: I don't remember if Ignis finishing the Malboro was more detailed than that during my playthrough, but yeah, the game does get weird with its cutscenes at times. Still, definitely a case of "But thou must!" and making one of those unwinnable bosses. It still irks me that Gladio tries to strongarm the group into ditching Ignis when even a blind man using a cane saved them while Gladio was one of the dudes to cry how it's all over and they didn't have a chance.

Although the cool thing here is this is the only time you get to use Ardyn in a sense. The "Ardyn" that you chased in the train who was all, "Dude, are you trying to kill me?" was actually Prompto the whole time. That "Prompto" who helped you fight at the train with all the aircrafts? Yep, you guessed it. And it's always nice to see that even when Leviathan is helping Noct, she still almost knocked the guy off the train. Crazy snake goddess to the end.

32: In the Pocket edition, you actually get to go on the ground to look at Shiva's corpse. Doesn't help that there is a whole lot of data in the PS4/Xbox version's files that shows a fuckton of unused areas, including the area surrounding her body and the main body of Shiva herself. If you glitch yourself out of bounds in Chapter 10, you can explore the uncompleted areas of Cartanica that the game showed in the background. It's not as interesting as it sounds, but it does show they had a lot in the works before Squeenix rushed the game to completion, and even after all the patches, that there was still a lot that hasn't made the cut yet.

And I wasn't too hot on that Shiva plot dump before, but now I like that it both gives some worldbuilding and Noct further impetus to gently caress up the empire.

re: Ignis DLC. Yeah, it reveals how Ignis got the way he did but in both endings for it, it either gives pretty big hints as to Ardyn's deal in the one or outright spoils who he is and what he's after in the other. Best to wait. If you're gonna do any DLC right now, do Prompto.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

One Ring to rule them all

I'll do the Prompto DLC here shorty™ there's a few events we gotta get through before we can fully play Episode Prompto. Ardyn being the BIGGEST DICK the whole time. Again this isn't the Royal edition JUST YET. We do get into it, but we've gained a ring that is... Fairly interesting to be honest. Sorta breaks the game but I like the idea of it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That's the problem of keeping all your weapons on the cloud. The rear end in a top hat chancellor uses his fancy magic tricks to screw it all up. And all the wreckage on that race to get into the imperial capital makes me wonder why kind of place the empire turned Lucis into after their invasion. It looked like something like the slums where the homeless hang out you'd see in the GTA games.

re: the Daemons being undead. Enemies like the skeletons and liches are obviously classified as daemons, but in the original Japanese, the untranslated term for daemon was literally just "corpse." That includes even the creepy snake ladies and spider women. Although I'm still curious what kind of process the emperor went through to essentially become a xenomorph gargoyle.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

That's the problem of keeping all your weapons on the cloud. The rear end in a top hat chancellor uses his fancy magic tricks to screw it all up. And all the wreckage on that race to get into the imperial capital makes me wonder why kind of place the empire turned Lucis into after their invasion. It looked like something like the slums where the homeless hang out you'd see in the GTA games.

re: the Daemons being undead. Enemies like the skeletons and liches are obviously classified as daemons, but in the original Japanese, the untranslated term for daemon was literally just "corpse." That includes even the creepy snake ladies and spider women. Although I'm still curious what kind of process the emperor went through to essentially become a xenomorph gargoyle.

Huh... What about Akuma? Akuma aren't corpses? They're just another word for demon. Or is it just in this game they called daemons corpses?

I think it shows a lot of Ardyn as a person who basically has all this power and just uses it cause he's essentially BORED. Does it just to gently caress with people as much as possible.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Zain posted:

Huh... What about Akuma? Akuma aren't corpses? They're just another word for demon. Or is it just in this game they called daemons corpses?

I think it shows a lot of Ardyn as a person who basically has all this power and just uses it cause he's essentially BORED. Does it just to gently caress with people as much as possible.

Yeah, daemon was definitely a big mistranslation with this game. I don't know if it was a mistake or because daemon fits better. I think it's the latter because daemon is what more people associate with such a wide spectrum of creatures from definitely not undead creatures like the Iron Giant and Bomb family of monsters. But only in the XV-verse are all the outright monster creatures (and not the definite fantasy counterpart of animals, like the garula or the coeurl) ever referred to universally as corpses in the original Japanese. I think they explain some more about how they came to be in the first place at this dungeon, either in mandatory plot dialogue, or in some books/tapes that are hanging in the nooks and crannies of some of the rooms that you have to search for.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Crap that means I didn't get them all then? Ugh! Pain in the rear end!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't think that's in the Gladio route though, I think it's if you choose to stay as Noct the whole way through.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Noctis' Path

Yeah we're going to tread ground with Noct now. There's more to everything. We're actually learning what's happening in the great technocratic society that's conquered most of the world. It's not all peaches and cream as we thought it would be/might be. We even have more of a redemption arch than we thought too for one of the main villains in the story.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Ardyn is such an rear end in a top hat, but I have to wonder what kind of face he must have on whenever he makes his remarks through the intercom. This is the first time he's stopped being pushy polite and sarcastic like he is most of the time, and outright is having a grand old time being a mean old dingus.

And apparently way back when during this game's initial release date, this section with Noctis in particular had the ring far more mediocre than it actually is now. So hiding from all the malfunctioning Magitek Troopers made a lot more sense back then. The downside though is that this section supposedly went on for far too long than it should have been, to the point that it was agitating people, so they went ahead and made the ring ridiculously broken in future updates.

And eventually they made the Gladio/Ignis route just as an alternative because this route was getting a bad rap in general. There are some differences coming up between the two, but I think they're relatively minor. But don't let me spoil the fun, go ahead and decide for yourself.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

There's more to it if I pushed forward? Man... So I thought it kinda all was the same after a certain point. I didn't record that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Without giving too much away, it's still mostly the same corridor going but there are a few tapes scattered here and there talking about what went down in the capital and the skies getting darker. Lots of world building type stuff. There's also an extended miniboss fight which makes more sense also now that you've done the Gladio route.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 31, 2018

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Things going from bad to hosed up

This one was trouble to find a gersh dern screen cap for. But we learned what happened to the once great empire or at least the citizenry. It's amazing how they saw this and said "You know we could probably use this for our own devices" and not only did someone agree with that... They somehow made it work. I don't know if I should be impressed or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Usually I opt for Death or Alterna when killing weaksauce enemies like the ones here, I never thought Holy was viable for instantly dispatching them like that.

And I like to think Ardyn mocking you for killing the daemons and MTs is a smarmy facade for what's actually his sheer rage at you destroying the beloved creations he spent all that time to create. We're gonna start taking advice from this guy on being a decent person?