Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Shitenshi posted:

Usually I opt for Death or Alterna when killing weaksauce enemies like the ones here, I never thought Holy was viable for instantly dispatching them like that.

And I like to think Ardyn mocking you for killing the daemons and MTs is a smarmy facade for what's actually his sheer rage at you destroying the beloved creations he spent all that time to create. We're gonna start taking advice from this guy on being a decent person?

Right?!?! It's pretty amazing is that he thinks somehow killing these MTs is our fault. Like, if they're killing us then it's fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The boys are back in town

So in a very unsurprising turn of events we find out some dark secrets of one of our party members. But we love him anyway! Once united the boys are ready to kick some A (Ardyn that is) and not a moment too soon. With the dude constantly mocking and tormenting the group solo it's nice to see them all together to fight some major foes.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Ardyn's taunts to the lone Noct are so random and sometimes don't even make sense that I seriously think he must be getting a kick of him struggling against all the daemons and broken down MTs, while also casually watching and commenting on the FFXV equivalent of Netflix and forgetting that he's still on air.

Also, I think I sensed some animosity between Noct and Gladio even after a whole lot's happened after the train incident. I thought Gladio was just feelin the funk because they went through a lot in a short time, but now I guess he meant everything he said.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Ardyn's taunts to the lone Noct are so random and sometimes don't even make sense that I seriously think he must be getting a kick of him struggling against all the daemons and broken down MTs, while also casually watching and commenting on the FFXV equivalent of Netflix and forgetting that he's still on air.

Also, I think I sensed some animosity between Noct and Gladio even after a whole lot's happened after the train incident. I thought Gladio was just feelin the funk because they went through a lot in a short time, but now I guess he meant everything he said.

I've never seen such a perfect description of Ardyn in many ways.

Yeah I mean they've always seemed to have a rocky relationship though right? Like Gladio is the "Shield" of the king. So Noct doing things always bugs him cause to gladio it's noct putting himself in danger. But that's just my take. IT's not always like that, but for the majority of it I feel like it's like that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Cleaning up some things

So I know it's kinda crappy but you better believe we're going to do some of them there roundup of old quests and such. I just mean... It sorta makes sense? There's these random dungeons with creatures we haven't seen yet in them and possibly some more things than just that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That dungeon is the absolute worst. It's a confusing maze to begin with, but it's a maze with heights and ledges that force you to backtrack to get anywhere. The Hobgoblins can actually steal your items and you can't get them back at all. No stealing back from them, no killing them and getting items back at the end of the battle, your poo poo is gone son. And the Ring is indeed OP. Alterna didn't quite connect a few times there, but it's practically designed now to even kill the one super secret optional hunt boss. Just keep on spamming it and (eventually) it will connect. Unless they fixed that in one of the patches.

The Jormungand has been in the game since it first came out. It also follows the gimmick of the Bandersnatch in the woods where you can now register for a hunt version of it and kill a stronger version of it in the same place you fought it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

That dungeon is the absolute worst. It's a confusing maze to begin with, but it's a maze with heights and ledges that force you to backtrack to get anywhere. The Hobgoblins can actually steal your items and you can't get them back at all. No stealing back from them, no killing them and getting items back at the end of the battle, your poo poo is gone son. And the Ring is indeed OP. Alterna didn't quite connect a few times there, but it's practically designed now to even kill the one super secret optional hunt boss. Just keep on spamming it and (eventually) it will connect. Unless they fixed that in one of the patches.

The Jormungand has been in the game since it first came out. It also follows the gimmick of the Bandersnatch in the woods where you can now register for a hunt version of it and kill a stronger version of it in the same place you fought it.

So I've been doing the hunts right? And yeah been using Alterna on basically everything and it kills them in one hit. I think after the Royal Edition they nerfed the ring a bit too. Cause it used to be constant or at least a higher rate then it is now. I figured unless it's a super unique hunt I was going to keep them out. I still will cause we fought the bandersnatch and all that anyway it's not really that interesting again.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Oh yeah, I knew you did the Bandersnatch hunt after killing the regular version in the woods, just didn't know if you knew the same gimmick applied to this guy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Oh yeah, I knew you did the Bandersnatch hunt after killing the regular version in the woods, just didn't know if you knew the same gimmick applied to this guy.

Honestly no I didn't know, but once I get that stuff cleared up it'll be no problem.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Soft Boi in a Cold World

We're doing Episode Prompto! Which means we get to see him in his arctic weather gear. Which honestly I'm kind of confused how he got it? Probably best to not worry about such things as it's just a really great outfit and we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth in this one. There's some more story on the Megitek army and those responsible for its creation and all that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So Prompto is going down Sephiroth's journey. Although you have to give it to Verstael, he was right to cut down on their free will, and also avoid Hojo's screw up of casually letting his boy know that his mother's name was Jenova. If those Magitek soldiers had any free will at all and were privy that their power sources were literally Satan, it wouldn't be long before one of them started thinking one of those daemon women were their mother.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Huh... Never thought about that but I guess it's true. But I think the issue is that demon possession just makes them demons with demon wills and this technique makes them demons with modlible wills? Like basically robotic demons.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Say hi to daddy

Well this isn't the family reunion that prompto was hoping for. At least we see the man who Prompto is based off of.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
re: FFVII chat, at least Hojo's Jenova nonsense didn't backfire on Shinra the same way all the daemon soldiers went haywire on the empire, but then again, there were all those dudes in the black capes and tattoos, and even Hojo himself got pretty weird at the end, the same way this guy did.

At least Prompto is kinda getting through things with Aranea's tough love, I guess deep down most FF heroes have some masochistic tendencies. Cloud had two love interests when the party enabled him with his incoherent story at the beginning, and still ended up going batshit for awhile, while Sephiroth turned into a stalker for his alien mom who he never even met before. If Luna's ghost had given Noct the same chewing out Gladio did on the train, he'd probably be all, "Sure okay."

I didn't even know there was gonna be an Episode Aranea in the future, but you learn something new everyday.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

re: FFVII chat, at least Hojo's Jenova nonsense didn't backfire on Shinra the same way all the daemon soldiers went haywire on the empire, but then again, there were all those dudes in the black capes and tattoos, and even Hojo himself got pretty weird at the end, the same way this guy did.

At least Prompto is kinda getting through things with Aranea's tough love, I guess deep down most FF heroes have some masochistic tendencies. Cloud had two love interests when the party enabled him with his incoherent story at the beginning, and still ended up going batshit for awhile, while Sephiroth turned into a stalker for his alien mom who he never even met before. If Luna's ghost had given Noct the same chewing out Gladio did on the train, he'd probably be all, "Sure okay."

I didn't even know there was gonna be an Episode Aranea in the future, but you learn something new everyday.

I know they were going to add 3 more episodes onto the Royal Edition. Aranea was one and so was Ardyn. I want to say Lunafreya too? But they're definitely adding more on!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Who we are as people

We start to know more about Prompto's childhood. Honestly at this point it's probably a good idea to watch the Brotherhood anime. Gives us so much more story on all of our characters. You could probably do it before this point, but I like to think that if you're close to end game like we are, it wouldn't be a bad idea to expand the world we've been inhabiting and the characters we've been sharing the hardships with.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I accidentally killed the Garula a few times before getting that mission right. And I didn't do most of the sidequests, but I did check the FF wiki around the time I played this, and I don't remember the rewards being that substantial either. It's just something you do for fun.

Aranea is hard as nails, but then again, when you're alone in enemy territory and your only ally is having a nervous breakdown, sometimes tough love is what's needed. With all her fancy footwork and fighting with a spear in an environment of gunners, she's the badass Raiden to Prompto's inexperienced Solid Snake. Except for those weird AI moments. And I'm pretty sure the poor lab assistant from those notes was probably turned into an off the grid lab rat for some stuff too nasty to mention even in a setting where literal clone babies were grown to be turned into an army of daemon soldiers.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Hey! It's me being a bad here.

Episode Prompto Done

So I know I gave my thoughts on the DLC in this video, but I'll still say this was probably one of the weakest DLCs they've given us. The game clearly isn't designed for this sort of gameplay and that's fine, but you'd think they'd have I don't know learned a thing or two from Dirge of Cerberus. And we find out the answer to that is no... No they didn't.

There's a lot of great themes in this DLC though. When I say weakest I do mean in terms of gameplay. Plot is pretty awesome, and I can't complain learning more of, well, everything. I've said it before and I'll say it again, FF15 does an amazing job of making most if not all its characters human and believable.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Verstael became a giant cyber lich, and the regular ordinary lich from FFI is still a lot harder than he ever was. Though the optional Aranea fight here is a lot more manageable than the bonus fight against Cor from Episode Gladio, if only because Gladio requires you to be kicking rear end and in danger at the same time (and given the mandatory close ranged combat, that's most of the time too) while fighting Aranea you can fight her and still be challenged without feeling like one lucky strike from the enemy can take away all your progress.

Course, given that Prompto also has a close range weapon, super hard difficulty is also an option there too.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Verstael became a giant cyber lich, and the regular ordinary lich from FFI is still a lot harder than he ever was. Though the optional Aranea fight here is a lot more manageable than the bonus fight against Cor from Episode Gladio, if only because Gladio requires you to be kicking rear end and in danger at the same time (and given the mandatory close ranged combat, that's most of the time too) while fighting Aranea you can fight her and still be challenged without feeling like one lucky strike from the enemy can take away all your progress.

Course, given that Prompto also has a close range weapon, super hard difficulty is also an option there too.

Oh noooo!!! That sounds super bad. Prompto is not designed for that at all. So of-course people have done it I'm assuming.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So I got a question. Should I both posting the optional dungeons as main updates? I could just have them as bonus content instead and we can continue on with the actual story from here on out. I'd need to edit some things together but it wouldn't be that bad. Part of me feels like I'm just dragging this out honestly if I just go "And this is a bonus dungeon" I donno. I did get all the royal arms. It wasn't that difficult or bad to do so. I mean there was some cool monsters too. But eh... I also did the fight with the adamantoise and that took 2 hours. It wasn't really that interesting of a fight either. So like I could in theory do all that editing and I woudln't be against it but going forward it feels a bit like loving around instead of getting to the main plot.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Continue on with the main plot for now. There's a lot of really interesting stuff coming up. As for the optional dungeons and the Royal Arms, yeah it would work better as bonus/postgame content. I'd say maybe save it for after this current chapter is over and then do all of that before continuing with the story, but considering the beginning of the next chapter throws you into the thick of things plotwise, you'd definitely be tempted to say to hell with that and just move on with the story beats, especially with the Royal Edition upgrades. So my advice is to just go on with the main storyline.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

We've reached the Crystal

Well holy poo poo! We got hit HARD with a lot. I guess my theory wasn't right which was more surprising to me than anything. But we learn so much about Ardyn and our destiny. Sadly they Axed and DLC for FFXV after Ardyn's comes out. Now it's only just speculation of what happened with Noct and Lunafreya going forward. But honestly not EVERYTHING needs explaining so I'm not too bummed about that. I have my theories of Episode Ardyn and what it could possibly be. Personally I'm going to say it'll be the events he went through before he became the villain we know him as.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You know things are bad when even before the daemons first pop up, the game outright calls them the Galdin Quay Ruins.

The Ring remains the same here, although after the buffing Squeenix gave it in an update because people complained that it was too weak, well I think any plot mandatory boosts would be redundant at this point. As in I've seen people successfully Alterna the Adamantoise out of existence.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

You know things are bad when even before the daemons first pop up, the game outright calls them the Galdin Quay Ruins.

The Ring remains the same here, although after the buffing Squeenix gave it in an update because people complained that it was too weak, well I think any plot mandatory boosts would be redundant at this point. As in I've seen people successfully Alterna the Adamantoise out of existence.

See I tried that first, and it "broke" apparently that's a 1% chance of happening? The... Blinking Adamantoise out of existence that is.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Heya! Just want everyone to know I'm still wanting to continue this. But everything has gotten heavier for me to deal with. Passing of a beloved family dog, increased workload, and today.... The passing of my grandmother. It's not been a great time for sure and everything hits the hardest cause it's during the holidays. So it's going to be a super slow roll.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Hey, it's cool, take your time. Make sure your own needs are met first.

And I just reread your previous post about the Adamantoise and I finally got what you meant. I thought that the ring glitched out and became unusable or something, I didn't know you meant it as that Alterna just has low chance of working on bosses in general. Makes sense, given that there's another optional superboss that appears as a random encounter from the Imperial dropships and when I finally realized how deep in the poo poo I was trying to fight it conventionally, I lost count how many times I spammed Alterna before it finally worked.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What YEAR is it?

We're getting back into this bad buy. I really do enjoy what we're going through right now in the story and love the tonal shift that they've presented. I don't understand why people don't enjoy this game (outside of gameplay). It's actually super engrossing and yeah... They've been really clever with everything about this game.

Thank you all for sticking through me in these hard times. At times it was hard to find motivation of just... Everything. I'm hoping that this year will be more positive changes in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This is where the Royal Edition content starts en masse. Vanilla Insomnia was literally just a quick trek through the city streets, then straight to the final battles. No real content besides the bros just chatting it up after fights. The added underground Glaive base and Cor popping up after ten years is just the tip of the iceberg of what they added and thank god for that, because for a long while people complained about the World of Ruin being the biggest sign that this game was rushed. Still disappointed they cancelled most of the upcoming DLC after Tabata recently left though.

Speaking of Aranea making it out alive, the first time she actually appears in the game is at the beginning of Chapter Three, alongside the emperor, Ravus, and Verstael, and considering what happened to the other three, she deffo made the right choice in ditching the lovely empire.