Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
After spending way too many tickets, 10k lapis and not getting a single Kaliva or rainbows of any kind on the last banner (I hope the MAG TDH meta doesn't become real) or Mystea on her banner, I got 4 rainbows off ~10 regular tickets, 1 4* ticket, and the Christmas 10+1 (actually didn't yield anything of note):

Balthier #1
Knight Delita #1
Barbarricia #2
Basch #1

Time to go back to hoarding tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
I got the in-game message, but it didn't have the "NEW" icon. It appeared as a previously read message. I only looked because I thought it was odd there wasn't also a maintenance message and then I saw one dated for yesterday but read.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Ugato posted:

Is it just me or is it incredibly difficult to get the objectives for the beginner runs? I can fill up both bars but it requires fighting the boss and I can’t get another encounter to pop to use my LBs/summon an esper.

You can target healing spells on the boss. I ran my TMR team and when I was still short the orbs, but close to killing the boss, I just healed the boss so I could get another round of auto-attacks in to fill the bars and summon the esper in the same fight.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

werdnam posted:

It's cheesy, but using Garnet (EVO Mag+ and Esper battery), I. Nichol (cover tank redirect to ...), 100% Dodge Soleil (for buffs and breaks), Ilias (for infinite MP), 2B and friend 2B (for DPS) to kill Aranea sure is a lot of fun. I don't know how you're supposed to get her without some sort of dodge cheese; she has a hell of a lot of DEF and SPR.

Now to figure out how to kill Leviathan 2*...

Take a tank that resists ice and water, your damage-dealing chainers and then spend the 100 lapis for a continue when you inevitably wipe.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Shoenin posted:

Trying to beat Aranea and im being reminded why I kind of want to stop playing

Every single "hard" fight is some dumbass overtuned poo poo that basically tells you to cheese it because they all have loving moves that will blow you up even with crazy buff's and debuffs up, have an insipidly stupid amount of HP, or both with some dumbass enrage mechanic.

Aranea hits for barely much but its a shitload of hits, then BAM enrage and you're dead. Like straight up half the group is dead because 8 attacks because.

E: I just tried again this time with Earth Veritas and the freggin crazy bitch almost killed my entire squad ON THE FIRST TURN with breaks, buffs and straight up mitigations and everything.
What the gently caress is the point of even playing

E2: someone please put up an Evade Noctis or something. like 8 tries and she kills me the exact same way every loving time: Gets buff, Destroys everyone in 1 or 2 hits out of 8 despite buffs and breaks.

Do you have an I.Nichol? A level 75 Ling is the only unit I can get to 100% evade, but I'm pretty sure she can't solo Aranea.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
I'm sharing my I.Nichol now, player ID 630,755,575. Use Illusion - Redirect every other turn to your Evade Chizuru and bring all your damage dealers to wail on Aranea. It'll go by much quicker that way.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

arisu posted:

Finally got around to doing Malboro today, though I didn't get the kill with limit burst achievement. Oh well.

Only Ice Bird left on my list of unfinished fights.

I missed the LB achievement yesterday too and had to redo the fight a second time. I learned it applied only to the original Great Marlboro and not any summoned ones.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Got Lotus Mage Fina on my 4th ticket, but still salty as hell over the 100 trust moogles I didn't get to pull when I foolishly spent them on the cactuar banner thinking I'd have time to build my friend points back up again.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Ugato posted:

The most important part, from what I can tell, is timing. You want to, above 50%, kill the little dudes every 4 turns. This turns off his devour turns. Under 50% it changes to every 3 turns, so you have to be able to reliably kill them every 3 turns to not make the fight incredibly more difficult. I’m just about done with the major gear pieces for all my different roles so I’m going to work on getting a few more ribbons / discernments before tackling the fight. I think I can manage to 3 dps it pretty easily now that I have cg Fina. Kind of wondering how hard I’m going to bowl this fight over.

My team’s gonna be Basch, Roy, cg Fina, 3x ok

I think Bad Breath is the only AoE status ailments move he has, which makes it predictable when it's used. If you have a female unit with good turn economy, you can use the ability on the Jade Moon Pendant to give your party ailments resist. I think I only had my provoke tank with a ribbon for my attempts.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Ugato posted:

Actually I’m wondering if anyone can put up a well geared OK with Hyomonto (the new ice katana) this weekend for it. If so I should be able to manage with Noel, Mystea, Roy, Fina and OK. That way I have basically everything I could want, including an ice imperil. I went ahead and threw some stored moogles at finishing two ribbons anyway, since I’ve been wanting them for arena teams for several months and I’ve had 0 up until now.

Does an OK with Ice Lance work? I've only just started to farm the ice katana so it won't be ready any time soon.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Ugato posted:

Yeah that’s fine. Katana is just a bit more damage because of the killer, but ice damage is the most important part.

I've set the OK as my friend unit. IGN: Blizzard (630,755,575), I think we're already friends

The build calculator said using the killers would yield more damage against Marlboro compared to getting his ATK over 1000 with the materia I have.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

werdnam posted:

So I was so happy when everything finally came together and I cued up Basch's LB, Fina's LB, and a T. Terra chain to kill them all. Oh, what's that? No "LB Kill achievement"? Dammit. I did damage from two different LBs on the kill turn, including part of the killing chain (or at least that's what I thought). Gumi, why you do this to us?

I can't decide whether to go back in to get that stupid achievement or skip it for now and kill the Bloody Moon.

The LB has to be cast before HP hits zero, then must either be the killing blow or part of the overkill damage. I think just being at the beginning of the chain that kills him is not enough. Also with the Malboro trial, I learned that the LB kill applies only to the original Great Malboro, as in, you have to kill the original Great Malboro with an LB; the mission does not trigger for any Great Malboro summoned by the smaller Malboros after you killed the original one. If you don't mind looping around, you can just kill the original with an LB and then worry about killing all 3 on the same turn without trying to squeeze in an LB.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

arisu posted:

Well so I've been running the 100% evasion Tidus for LGD a couple of runs now.

His LB fills up so fast so it's almost guaranteed to be up by the time you reach the boss.

Auto attack with everyone but the escaper to build limit (if you bring Yuna, use that ability that fills summon meter).

Escape each turn unless you hit bonus enemies, make sure you kill those.

On the boss, LB the bottom guy. If you have a Yuna, have her summon Leviathan at this point for massive damage with the LB's 100% water imperil. You could also do it with Seymour if you have a full summon meter.

Tidus will take some damage the first round but I haven't had him die yet. Quick Hit should finish off the bottom guy on the second round, then you can sleep walk to a win.

I'll leave it up to you guys, do you want an ELT carry Seymour or LGD carry Tidus for my friend? I haven't run this one enough times to know for sure if he could carry it without Yuna but I can't see why not.

Are you getting a base Al Bhed Primer drop of ~675 with the escapes? I saw some dude on reddit say that the the trash mobs were dropping close to 20 event currency each round, but no one seems to have collaborated it.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

arisu posted:

Hmm, I've been getting a base of 600 each time. I guess I'll try killing some trash and see how much it changes by.

The wiki says LGD should be 680 and I think that's close to what I got when I cleared every round with my non-bonus unit team for the "Party of 4 or less" mission. This lends credence to the the trash dropping 20 currency per round, which might change the NRG efficiency math if you need to escape on LGD.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Well basically I’m just trying to figure out how to be farming TMR the quickest while not actually “expending” energy. Also; does the ordering of your units matter at all for your macros as long as they’re able to one shot the earth shrine mobs?

The macro has unit 1 and 3 do the attacking, so just avoid putting units with really long attack animations in those slots.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
How do LB levels work? Do the multipliers and stat buffs/debuffs increase incrementally with each LB level or does it only change when you hit the max level?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Mile'ionaha posted:

Check the wiki, since it depends on the character. For most of characters it's incremental (e.g. 50% break at l.1, 51%break at l.2, 74% break at l.25) but for others it doesn't actually change the impact but makes it require fewer crystals to fill up.

Yea, I was reading on reddit that for the ones where it reduces the LB crystal cost, the reduction only happens at max level, there's no change for all the levels in between. That got me wondering whether it was the same for the multiplier or buff/break changes or not.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
I feel ripped off; the bonus mobs for 2 of my LGD runs were Golden Bombs instead of Yin and Yang.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
I think the biggest problem was that Gumi gave us the worst step-up banner JP ever got. I think it was wishful thinking we would get the original JP Sephiroth step-up banner since Alim admitted how overly generous it was and it was never repeated in JP. However, it's a bit of a slap in the face that we got the only other step-up banner that was also never repeated; this one because it was too miserly.

It doesn't really make sense to argue that Gumi dialed it back because they didn't want to make the same mistake in Global as JP, when at the same time they're repeating the mistake of using the worst banner that JP put out and then never reused. The backlash probably would not have been as bad if they gave us the current JP standard with the rate up on the 4th step. Even though the Global step-up is only marginally less generous than the standard JP step-up, the optics of Gumi trying to see if we'd swallow less than the baseline that JP settled on is bad.

EDIT:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The ffviii step up banner is the only repeated style banner for non limited double rainbow banners . It only recently changed by making the 4th step have a 1.5x drop rate on rainbows for the jecht auron banner. It remains to be seen if the change is permanent. It should be even better than that because the 4th is rear end

I believe the rate up on the 4th step was introduced with the Tifa banner, which was the next 25k step-up after the Squall/Rinoa banner and all 25k step-ups after that had the rate up on the 4th step.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 16, 2018

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Shoenin posted:

"Can only attack Normally when targeting ally."

What the gently caress is this garbage? Im trying to dispel this Fire buff on my attacker but its coming up with this poo poo. It didnt do this before.
It can make me attack my own group with an AOE but not a loving dispel?

I think it's always been that you had to dualcast and re-target before the second cast in order to use Dispel or Dispelga on your own party.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So, I'm trying to do the 3* Ramuh trial, and I'm having a hell of a loving time trying to get the dualcast dispel trick to work. I've got Ayaka so I'm trying to dual white dispel/dispel on Ramuh and myself respectively, but I absolutely cannot get the targeting window to appear inbetween casts. I've tried holding on a unit right after the cast starts, double tapping and holding but nothing is working for me. Am I doing it wrong, or did they patch it out or something?

It absolutely does still work because I used it to beat both 3* Shiva and Ramuh. I find the hitbox for certain units are finicky in relation to their sprites when it comes to selecting them, which is why I find it much easier to pull off on an emulator than on my phone. It's supposed to be a long press to do it. I suggest practicing the self-select before you attack just to see which unit you can do it consistently on. Then right after you press Ayaka to cast, immediately go and self-select, don't wait to watch the animation of the first cast go off, just self-select as soon as you can. Once you have the unit selection screen open for any unit, you can navigate to a specific unit on your team by swiping if you're trying to dualcast a single target Dispel instead of Dispelga.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 6, 2018

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Weren't able to get it to work right it is

But what's so different about W-ability for her summoner skills compared to W-ability for Lila's Martial Arts skills? It seems like it should be trivial to just tag Rydia's summoner skills the same way and make a W-ability that works off those tags.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Ugato posted:

I’m afraid for the Nichol banner now because the game is being nice to me. 2 4* tickets got me a Kaliva.

On another note, I think doing the hard carry/skip trash method on LGD isn’t worth it any more. Killing even the last two fights only gives you 292 of 680 tails. They’ve basically split it all up among the trash now.

Good thing my luck was poo poo and only got 2 bonus units, so I'm rolling with a bunch of my heavy hitters that can kill all the mobs in LGD.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
I got Ray Jacked on my second 4* ticket trying to pull a Kaliva.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
My daily half summon cracked into a rainbow. Could it be AD Kain #2 to get him 7* ready? Or PS Rydia so I can stop dragging Shantotto to 10-man trials to chain with Barb? Nope, it's Dark Knight Cecil. I've been getting way too much off-banner garbage lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
My 30% ticket was Barb #3, why did it have to be off-banner. I don't even know if I should be looking forward to a possible STMR because she's Global exclusive.

• Locked thread