Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Was posted in the prior thread:
https://kotaku.com/apple-says-itune...dium=Socialflow

Glad to see this is happening. Someone at Apple is paying attention to the Battlefront 2 shitshow and knows there's a good chance that the EU (and maybe some states in the US, which basically means the US as a whole for them) is going to start cracking down on gacha and loot box mechanics in games.

Plus any game that's out in Japan, China, or a couple other countries are already required to disclose the odds so Apple deciding "hey, you have to disclose it globally or we boot you" is fine by me.

----

And For anyone who didn't look at 7* Santa Roselia (in JP, but maybe we'll see her next year), let me introduce you to her base 7* skill, Holy Revive:
(Available Turn 1) 5 Turn Cooldown: AoE 3 Turn Auto-Revive with 80% HP & AoE ~4500 HP Heal w/ 25x Mod split over 3 Turns & AoE ~130 MP Heal w/ 0.1x Mod split over 3 Turns

Why yes I would like to spend the first couple turns of literally every hard fight being with an auto-revive and heavy hp/mp regen. :eyepop:

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Holy poo poo, enhanced Orlandeau is a loving beast.

:yeah:

It's good to see him back up at/near the top of king of chain mountain. Until DV's enhancements come anyways. Or Fryevia. :getin:

When I went to enhance him and Rem I noticed I could enhance Wilhelm. I'd forgotten that we got Wilhelm and his enhancements before WoL got their enhancements. :rip: WoL I might use you again someday though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Langolas posted:

Want to go in halfsies on my third TGCid? :(. I gotta farm more T1-T2 crysts which blows

There is no reason to enhance three TG Cids. Enhancing even two of them is questionable tbh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

How do you beat this Air Buster gently caress?

Blow them up in a single turn with a DR chain capped by Olive and VoF. :black101::supaburn:

I messed up my timing and it lived on 8% hp but it only killed Tilith so it died quickly on the 2nd round.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm really hoping that Apple's new gacha/loot box rule makes more companies decide to just do a single global server for their games like Granblue does. Mainly because it means us filthy gaijans would be able to benefit from the largesse of Japanese devs. If FFBE's Japanese client suddenly got an English language toggle I'd abandon my global account instantly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

considering each level bumps up the total number of candy canes needed, I assume they will have to get people to run the event more somehow or we literally won't see the entire event.

Don't forget we can spend candy canes on items at the mog chancellor like...

...30k candy canes for a single 4* summon ticket. And there's no bonus units for the event so you get maybe 4-500 candy canes per 25 NRG. Truly, Gumi's generosity knows no bounds. :downs:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How many Pod 153s would someone really ever use? Is Pod 153 still a sought-after materia to use? I don't see a lot of talk about it anymore

Having two means that any two units you have can always chain with each other and IIRC it's extremely useful for some trial/weapon fights because it's AOE too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Don't worry, Gumi has equally dumb and grindy bullshit in Alchemist's Code too.

I can't wait to see what sort of nightmare hellscape grind exists in Brave Frontier 2.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Remembered that I had a pair of 10+1 tickets I'd been saving and decided to burn them while the xmas units were in the pool. Didn't get any of them.

Guess I'll just have to make do with the Aileen and Mystera I pulled instead. :getin:

Alakaiser posted:

They just put up an announcement that the "12 days of joy" tomorrow starts and we get daily gifts.

day 1: one 1% trust moogle
day 2: 200 lapis
day 3: one rare summon ticket
day 4: one guaranteed 4* ticket
day 5: 500 lapis
day 6: six king metal minituars
day 7: one of each 5* pot
day 8: one of each megacite
day 9: nine gil snapped families
day 10: ten star quartz
day 11: one 10+1 ticket
day 12: 1200 lapis

They had an idea and they stuck to it.

That days 3 and 4 are rare (3 star) and 4 star tickets while day 5 is 500 lapis instead of a 5* ticket is the most "lol gently caress you non-Japanese players" mobile gaming thing imaginable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Every ability you mentioned is better than Bedile's TMR. the magic sword attacks are utter garbage and there's a reason that characters were getting entirely different hybrid abilities not long after launch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

My 10+1 ticket gave me my first Rubicante and a bunch of dupes. :confuoot:

Dana Crysalis posted:

Holy wow, jackpot.

So Christine isn't just "Ice Trance Terra", though the fact she perfect chains with TT is amazing. She also chains with Tidus (Absolute Zero), and any of the Orlandu family (Ice Shards). She works with SO MANY people.

And since she's an element, unlike Terra, it means her chains will ramp up that much faster too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dana Crysalis posted:

yeah, wait those 8 months for Hyou, good choice.

We'll be lucky if we see CG Reagan within the next 8 months. Hyou is probably 10+ months away and because ~global is a different game~ we'll probably get his 6* form and have to wait a month for his 7* form like Gumi used to do with new units in Brave Frontier.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gotta wait until tomorrow for my ticket because I missed a login at some point. Might just sit on it because I don't play a ton atm and it's not like I'm lacking anything except Ayaka, but I already have Tilith and Rem (among others) for healing duty.

Agreed posted:

I would be disappointed to see Rem or Queen from any rainbow at this point, and would absolutely not pull on that banner.

I have 2 Rems and 3 Queens. Queen was my first and second 5* base unit pull. :shepicide:

At least they get 7* forms fairly early on.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

This dude's post is a case study on hoarding. Struggling on fights while sitting on 300+ tickets, lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/7mmwcb/do_people_who_spend_money_on_banners_essentially/

There are people in this thread who didn't get a 5* base until the crystal changes took place. I know I was trolled by multiple non 5* rainbows and others ITT got burned worse than I did. I still have my rainbow Lenna of Shame sitting in my box where she will remain level one and untouched forever as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Burned my 5* ticket, got Emperor #1. I guess I could give his TM and equip rod + rod mastery to one of my Fryevias.

Office Thug posted:

Gingerbread man went down like a sack of bricks. You can't really OTKO him without a super loving good team

Dual Orlandus and Olive or FV with atk/def break from 9S while Tilith just chills and watches the murder. :dukedog:

Though it seems like on turn 1 they usually just do a body slam attack for not all that much damage? At least the couple times I tried to auto battle the fight their first turn wasn't very damaging.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chasiu posted:

Saved my 5* EX ticket for today in hopes of pulling a White Knight Noel. Instead, Gumi gave me my white whale!

Just when I thought maybe I'd stop playing for a while... Now I'm not sure if I should replace Agrias with him or farm up a 3rd Excalibur & Katana Mastery, etc. since I'm also using 2B for chaining and Luneth to finish. I should probably stop being lazy with trials since I have amassed some decent 5*s after the gacha change, but I can't bring myself to attempt any fight where Auto attacks are not sufficient to murder everything...

Fake Edit: Just noticed today is my 10 year anniversary with SA too!

Unenhanced Orlandu is better than an enhanced Agrias.

Definitely level up that Orlandu. Enhance Divine Ruination and Black Lion Emblem.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Office Thug posted:

At the moment it seems like JP is well ahead in terms of QOL though, specifically with their ability to fuse cactuars to save room (which you should always do first since it's an extra chance to get 1.5 or 2x EXP bonus), and also being able to fuse more than just 5 loving units at a time. I don't get the chocobo farm thing though, and the lack of expeditions is a little lovely for me personally.

Chocobos are a source of extra mats, including the item you need to challenge(?) the 3 star esper fights. You can also get chocobo weapons from it which aren't amazing for establish players, but really nice if you luck out as a newbie. Plus they're a source of wind swords/daggers with decent-ish attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, EXP is going to be a bigger issue than money when 7*s come out, specially if you have a lot of units ready for 7*. You are going to be stacking kings for months to get 2-3 units to 120 once they come out.

I fed a max leveled(?) metal king (4.5m xp) to my lighting earlier today on the JP server.

She went from level 112 to 114. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Gumi is taking suggestions on social media for the next couple of days, now is the time to tell them you want the Fountain Of Lapis to be a permanent thing or individual team loadouts or whatever.

Tell them to stop making the [Extra] stages in Alchemists Code in to such grindy bullshit.

PDQ Law posted:

Meta-changing units released:
Ayaka is here, and will be a top healer for some time.

Mystea (JP Mistair) is here, bringing the AOE magic cover tank meta.

Cloud is here, ushering in the era of True Doublehand (TDH, also shin-doublehand) Fixed Dice (FD) builds for whales.

Roy is here and Ramza enhancements are supposed to be next, meaning the bard meta is starting.

Other unit things to note:
Noctis and his TMR were un-nerfed.
Notable limited release units you won't get were Halloween's Illusionist Nichol, who can turn any other unit into an AOE physical cover tank, and Christmas's Christine, who among other unique things can perfect chain with enhanced T.Terra.

Ayaka will be a top tier healer until mid 2019, possibly longer, due to her 7* and she'll be sufficient for content until 2020 unless the power creep accelerates exponentially.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also the blonde bazooka olive is getting her enhancements in the Feb batch, which probably coincides with fhe rest of the chinese new year banner ones.

:hellyeah:

Hopefully her enhancements are going to put her back on top of the finisher mountain.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Haven't been playing this much lately but my 1/2 pull last night was a rainbow and gave me Dark Veritas #1. :toot:

My last rainbow before that? Aileen.

...I have so many chaining units. I think I'm only missing OK at this point.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, there were step up banners prior to 7*. Sephiroth and CG Reagan both had them and they were prior to 7*

Reagan's Step Up banner gave me four 5* base units on the final step, including 2 CG Reagans. :iia:

Can't wait to see how global screws people over when he comes out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Did a couple 1/2 pulls on the prior banner and finally got a Ling, now that she's of far less use. :confuoot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Looks like I'm gonna need a Steiner, so old man Cid can double fist the Excalibur and Excalibur II. Or two Excalibur IIs... Or maybe 2x Beatrix, so he can double fist Save The Queen (IX)...

Cid should be using a greatsword and a katana. Giving him two greatswords is an extremely bad idea because you're giving up a lot of free +atk for no reason.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Decided to burn the 10+1 ticket. Got Barbaricca #1, Ashe #3, Aura #2, Amelia #5, and Soliel #a lot.

As far as caster damage goes I already have 2 Rems, 2 VoL, 2 Fryevias, and the usual suspects for 4* units. Not sure if I'll use Barb for much other than expeditions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I didn't realize CG Reagan has a 7* already in JP. How is it? My account has 2 Reagans so I imagine there's no reason not to make the 7* even though I don't play it much and thus lack the bajillion XP needed to max level him at 7*.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

1/2 pull gave me a Steiner. used5 tickets and got 4 junk pulls as well as Elfreeda #2. :toot:

...afterwards I realized I had spent the tickets on the generic banner and not the FFIX one. :downs:
(2nd marshall glove for Olive or FD VoF is better anyways)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Other things that could get sprinkled in include:
The ultimate versions of Brachiasaur, Demon Chimera, and White Dragon

I wonder what the odds are that Gumi does one of its bullshit Global Buffs(tm) for ultimate White Dragon. You have to clear Gilgamesh's trial before you can do the ult fights and ult white dragon is considerably easier to kill than Greg, while the katana it gives is in all ways superior to the Genji Blade.

...gonna burn all my tickets chasing CG Fina when she comes out since a top of the line healer is all I really lack at this point.

PaybackJack posted:

But why are they tieing into the 3rd person action platformer spinoff and not the main reboot series on which the movie is based.

Look at SE's recent Chrono Trigger port on Steam and ask yourself if SE seems like a company that makes reasonable decisions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, the FF6 steam port got just as bad reviews. SE is making rather questionable decisions on their ports to PC. Mainly in that they are taking the laziest way they can. At least SEGA just went with "Create an official emulator and roms for games" for the SEGA Classics.

And for an extra bit of :wtc: keep in mind that during all of this, Square did a loving remake of Romancing SaGa 2 that had more effort put in to it than Final Fantasy 5-6, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana. Games that all dwarf SaGa games in recognition and potential sales.

e: To be clear, the RS2 remake was fun and good. If SE had put similar effort in to the PC/console/mobile ports of FF5-6 and CT I'd happily drop :20bux: or maybe more on them. FF6 with its SNES sprites getting a similar upgrade, as well as various QoL/bug fixes the game needed (IE: Cyan's SwdTch charging after selection) with a proper UI and an art style that doesn't clash on every loving level? Maybe a bonus dungeon or two with some crazy bullshit super bosses and gear/espers? Yes please.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 5, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The current FFIX mog store has a cheap doublehand materia which is always welcome, even though we can't stack them (not that it matters as much at this point).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

pasaluki posted:

That's one thing I'll give ffrk is that the fights rely on strategy rather than chaining up finishers with like perfect timing or you get wiped.

:lol:

I guess it only took several years to get to that point then, because "build up SB gauges and dumpster the boss" had been a viable thing in FFRK ever since Wrath and Lifesiphon were added to the game. That's also excluding the torment fights that start you with full SB gauges and so with the right setup (Cloud USB + whatever) you would literally 3-4 round those bosses.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Free pull of the day gave me Aileen #2. Bring on her 7* version. :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There hasn't been any hint of Fryevia's enhancements yet has there? We're closing in on the Sephiroth banner, which means Lila and all her hilariously broken glory. Unless Gumi nerf the poo poo out if Lila (entirely possible if not a guarantee) she's going to outshine even an enhanced Fryevia unless Fryevia gets some truly insane buffs.

Acelerion posted:

Once you have one you just want another

Can confirm. Pulled Aileen #2 today but I still want a 2nd VoD (or even Cid) so I can evolve them when the time comes to team with my eventual 7* Rem and Fryevia, and maybe luck in to a 2nd Wilhem at some point.

e: Had a 10+1 ticket I hadn't spent yet. Got Mercenary Ramza #1 among the dupes. :confuoot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

KDdidit posted:

Man, people are killing this raid. Can't remember the last time the bonus went up so fast.

I wonder if global will ever hit the max rank for a raid. Even with the crazy bot poo poo awhile back I don't think global hit the cap.

e: Man I really love how "kill X with magic" challenges are a complete shitshow now. Do a chain and throw in 4 spells, most of which hit in during the chain with the target dead (and all hit during the chain)? No credit gently caress you.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 11, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AegisP posted:

Sephiroth is when I'll be blowing lapis, given step-ups.

CG Fina I just want a 5* Healer finally :( Plus I have the tickets to burn for the same reason.

I burned around 200 pulls chasing Ayaka and didn't even see a single rainbow (thanks in no small part to the 1->3% change happening later). Can't wait to get burned on CG Fina too.

At least I can make a 7* Rem when those become available in late summer or so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

"Get a free Lightning from rookie quests." :lol::lol::lol:

Guess it's progress towards her 7* form when it comes out (though I'll never make it because I have Aileen and others to 7* instead).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

For some reason I thought Araena was around until the 19th so I still never got around to clearing it. :negative:

Cobalt60 posted:

can I one-turn this apep with 2x Orlandeaus, 2x Aileen, 1x Soleil?

Raid? Easily.

Challenge? Possibly if their attack stats are high and you have killers on the right characters. I one rounded the challenge with dual Orlandu + Olive for damage, Minfilia for an atk boost, and William for the magic objective.

BDawg posted:

I wish “kill with magic damage” included magic abilities. Makes full clearing the boss annoying in you don’t have Barb

Use Shantotto or William? After dealing with that bullshit dumb challenge thats what I started to do. Bring one of them and let them cast during the chain itself. Or bring two and let them extend the chain, or chain for finishers? :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Hmmmmm daily was Orlandeau #4. I'm leaning toward enhancing/potting a second one and planning to 7* both rather than go for the Super Trust Reward.

There's no reason to make two 7* copies of any of those units. Just keep the other 3 as STMR fodder. A second 7* Orlandu is a waste.

You also need tens of millions of XP to go from 100 to 120. You aren't going to just max level multiple 7* units like it's NBD unless you spend months stockpiling XP.

e: Also, Orlandu's STMR is a 174 atk light element greatsword.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unless they announce global exclusive 5* base Sabin I'm just going to burn my tickets chasing CG Fina. Maybe Lila on Sephiroth's banner unless we get a hint of what Fryevia's eventual enhancements will be (Lila's still going to be better if Gumi doesn't nerf the poo poo out of her).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CG Fina coming up this week, looking forward to burning my ~130 tickets to not get her. :confuoot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AegisP posted:

110 tickets here, I feel your pessimism :ohdear:

I went over 200 pulls on Ayaka's first banner without getting a single rainbow, but now at least rainbow rates are 3% and not 1%...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, Gumi has a better understanding on characters that Alim in my opinion. I made fun of needing a miracle to fix someone like Cupid Artemios kit prior to enhancements and even if it doesn't seem it at first glance he's the second strongest finisher in the game post enhancements beating out every single japanese 5* finisher right now as a 4*.

I'm hoping that they dont make Fry a finisher and if they plan to focus on her being a single wield unit they better add a form of W-Attack and more access to magic equip attack up.

Give her W-Attack and make her 1handed atk/mag passive get a buff similar to Olive's and she'll be fine. Or make it so the +2 for FFB causes it to hit 20 times for 3x as much damage when she only has a single weapon equipped. They'd have to do some seriously heavy lifting to make Fryevia more busted than Lila is, though it'll be interesting to see how much time there is between Fryevia enhancements and Sephiroth's banner.

Ugato posted:

Unless there’s something I’m missing I’d say wait until tomorrow. CG Fina has got to be one of the best starter rainbows in a long time. Healer who can also dps/chain with a unit people are going to be chasing anyway

The good 4* healers like Refia can do a lot. Refia/Luka/whatever with something like Dark Vertias, TG Cid, or Onion Knight (especially OK with his innate dual wield) will carry a new player far better than an Ayaka or CG Fina that relies on random 4* units for damage. Same with tanks like WoL and Mystera. The gap between units like DV/Cid and the 4* chainers is huge (though some like Amelia are beasts for arena). Same with Olive/FV and the 4* chain cappers, except Setzer in some cases I guess.

I'm excluding Y'shtola from this because I don't know when we'll see the next FFXIV event, but she's basically a free high tier healer for newbies or people who don't have a dualcast for Refia and need more healing power.

Kumog posted:

Yeah, it was the materials thing.

How is this setup so far for an account about a week old?

6* Aileen
5* Blossom Sage Sakura
5* Mercedes
4* Divine Soliel
4* Rubicante

Don't worry too much about Mercedes and the other two 4* units but Aileen and Sakura will still be relevant top tier units a year from now as they get their 7* forms. All the CG units (except maybe Jake?) are very good at what they do.

jaclynhyde posted:

I really have to complain about my lack of rainbows more, cause as soon as I do I get two in two days: VoD on my half-price and DKC on my 3 million downloads ticket.

And now I'm stuck figuring out what my main party should be--right now it's WoL, Ayaka, Tidus, Olive, and Fry. Should I slot in VoD, TTerra, or CG Sakura in there? I have a lot of Tidus friends so I like to keep him in.

You can run Ayaka, Olive/Sakura, and two of Tidus/Fryevia/VoD/TTerra with WoL, or drop WoL and take another damage dealer. All those 5* base units are top of the line and it's really going to be a matter of personal preference. You can forgo WoL for 99% of content and bring another damage dealer if you'd like. If you need a support unit someone like Rikku's going to be good too.

VoD gets an AOE full break ability if you're worried about enemy atk/def/mag/spr but don't think you need WoL's dedicated tanking for a fight.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I just pulled a lightning 5*, earth veritas 4*, and x2 zidanes. Is this a decent pull to keep?

Lightning is one of the worst 5* units in the game. You can also get one for free when clearing an exploration not too far in to the story. Definitely not a keeper account. There's no 4* units that will makes or break an account reroll either tbh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh boy time to get hosed by RNG, let's see how it goes...

114 tickets
9 4* tickets
10+1 pull

27 Erwins
4 Wadows (6 Graces, an off-banner 4*)
0 Kunshira
0 CG Fina

1 rainbow crystal which was TTerra who's at least new for me. :confuoot:

This has been yet another reminder that Gumi are awful shits who do not deserve money.

PaybackJack posted:

Are they loving for real with this trust Moogle for friend point summon, THE loving DAY AFTER WE SPENT ALL OUR FRIEND POINTS.

For almost six months friend points have been worthless, then suddenly we get two back to back events that drain them!

I didn't spend my friend points (because who cares about summoning stuff like cactuars when we just had back to back raids?). :shrug:

Japan constantly has FP trust moogle stuff so I figured I'd just let them pile up until we got one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh god no. I've given FFBE less than $5 since the soft launch.

• Locked thread