Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Dakota Krout is one of the worst writers in the genre because he's juuuuust coherent enough that he can almost write something compelling but he's so personally odious in philosophy and locked into the incurious banality of nerd culture that I bounce off every one of his books I try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Listening to Heretical Fishing and it's absolutely just a beware of chicken knock off but it's still fun if you want to experience that precise formula again, executed less adroitly

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Beware of Chicken is good when it's fun slice of life stuff and the quality varies greatly whenever it does actual "serious" xianxia stuff.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'm looking for something like Roadside Picnic or the Southern Reach Trilogy. I've forgotten the exact name of the genre, but the plot is usually about adventurers who travel into 'forbidden zones' where the normal rules of reality no longer apply. Going and leaving will change you, somehow. I'm thinking like a classic Dark Forest, the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in STALKER, a vast dungeon with variable geometry, of even the Bermuda Triangle. If I want to be fancy, I'm looking for 'katabatic narratives' or 'descent narratives'. Thanks!

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 18, 2024

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Aren't we all, when it comes down to it, looking for decent narratives?

ok maybe not in this thread but

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm looking for something like Roadside Picnic or the Southern Reach Trilogy. I've forgotten the exact name of the genre, but the plot is usually about adventurers who travel into 'forbidden zones' where the normal rules of reality no longer apply. Going and leaving will change you, somehow. I'm thinking like a classic Dark Forest, the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in STALKER, a vast dungeon with variable geometry, of even the Bermuda Triangle. If I want to be fancy, I'm looking for 'katabatic narratives' or 'descent narratives'. Thanks!

It's the 'new weird' genre if we're talking Southern Reach specifically. I think the only thing that I've read that comes close within the type of stuff discussed in this thread is the Daily Grind series. It's definitely a lot more artless and is more of a portal fantasy than new weird.

You might ask in the main SFF thread? This is specifically the thread for middling schlock (I love middling schlock).

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

It's the 'new weird' genre if we're talking Southern Reach specifically. I think the only thing that I've read that comes close within the type of stuff discussed in this thread is the Daily Grind series. It's definitely a lot more artless and is more of a portal fantasy than new weird.

You might ask in the main SFF thread? This is specifically the thread for middling schlock (I love middling schlock).

So you’re telling me that there is little competition for what I am describing in the schlock marketplace?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Seems to be the case. The schlock marketplace is typically power fantasies and nerd poo poo, where new weird tends to be realizing how pitiful and tiny you are in the face of incomprehensible complexity or strangeness. Dungeon Crawler Carl's author Matt Dinniman might be the only person to really explore that, at least that I'm aware of and even his end up being sorta power fantasies.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
here's my schlock request: more superhero school poo poo. anything readable out there beyond Drew Hayes's two series and the web serial Super Supportive?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

AARD VARKMAN posted:

here's my schlock request: more superhero school poo poo. anything readable out there beyond Drew Hayes's two series and the web serial Super Supportive?

If you’re willing to drop the School part and are ok with the story edging into horror-adjacent, there’s always the web serial Worm. It’s probably the other best written super hero thing but it’s decidedly darker than anything from Hayes

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

If you’re willing to drop the School part and are ok with the story edging into horror-adjacent, there’s always the web serial Worm. It’s probably the other best written super hero thing but it’s decidedly darker than anything from Hayes

I'm going to anti-rec Worm. I think 'best written' is a stretch compared to a bunch of other stuff out there, and it has the same fail state ending as a bunch of shonen manga, in that every plot arc needs to escalate from the last one until the ending is just 800 pages of people manifesting sudden power ups and screaming at each other as stuff blows up.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
If we're talking superheroes, I would like to re-recommend this goon written book from back in January:

Robert Deadford posted:

Hey! I have a book on Kindle Unlimited.

Unregistered

Coq au Nandos posted:

You’re very welcome! Just finished the book and seriously well done. A really engaging story with some of the best prose and character work I’ve read in ages. I really enjoyed the way you handled superpowers as well - Superman as a gravity wizard is a fun way of thinking about things. There’s a twist around 30% into the book that totally caught me by surprise, too.

One minor nitpick - Chapter 38 starts with the wrong character’s name (unless you’re going for a PTSD thing and I missed it, in which case sorry!).

My only other complaint is that the book is over and I want to read more book. Thank you for writing book and I will absolutely read whatever you put out next. Will drop you a review too! Hope the launch has been a good experience for you.

Edit: Actually I’m a little curious about the reasoning for setting the story in the year 2000. Was it just to avoid smartphones potentially getting in the way of plot stuff? Or are you setting us up for a Red Line vs Al Qaeda sequel set in late 2001?

I finished it myself recently and it is legit great. Superhero mysteries are hardly an oversaturated genre, either.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Marsupial Ape posted:

Check out Katalepsis and Necroepilogos by Hungry on Royal Road. They're both really solid stories.

Katalepsis posted:

For Heather Morell, nightmares and hallucinations lurk around every corner, relics of schizophrenia and childhood bereavement.

Until she meets Raine and Evelyn, that is — self-proclaimed bodyguard and bad-tempered magician — and learns she’s not insane at all. The spirits and monsters she sees are all too real, the god-thing in her nightmares is teaching her how to surpass human limits, and her twin sister who supposedly never existed could still be alive, somewhere Outside, beyond the walls of reality.

Heather plunges into a world of eldritch magic and fanatic cultists, trying to stay alive, stay sane, and deal with her own blossoming attraction to dangerous women. But being ‘In The Know’ isn’t all terror and danger. Sometimes the monsters wear nice dresses and stick around for afternoon tea. Sometimes you find you have more in common with them than you think. Perhaps this is Heather’s chance to be something more than the defeated husk she’d grown up as, to find real friendship and meaning among things like herself - and perhaps, out there on the rim of the possible, to bring her twin sister back from the dead.

Katalepsis is an Ancient Greek word which means ‘comprehension’, or perhaps more accurately, ‘insight’. Katalepsis is a serial web novel about cosmic horror and human fragility, urban fantasy and lesbian romance, set in a sleepy English university town.

Necroepilogos posted:

Nothing walks the black cinder of Earth except the undead leftovers, reanimated by science so advanced it may as well be magic. Twisted into unimaginable forms by flesh-shaping and machine-grafting, the undead are the only remnant of a civilization reduced to bitter ash and organic slurry. Zombies shuffle through the ruins of nuclear fire and biological warfare and far worse, alongside rusted war-machines still holding the posts of a thousand ancient conflicts, dwarfed by god-engines turned so alien that even the extinct necromancers would have run screaming.

Elpida doesn’t know this world, but she’s up on her feet, leading a half-dozen other fresh revenants, ripped from the oblivion of eternity and disgorged shivering and naked on cold metal slabs in a womb-lab of blinking lights and blaring alarms, by machines running some ancient plan to spit them out into a world long dead.

Necroepilogos is a web serial about body horror and alienation, weird zombie-girls gluing themselves back together, mad science beyond mortal ken, and trying to cradle the flower of companionship in twitching, undead fingers

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Roadie posted:

I'm going to anti-rec Worm. I think 'best written' is a stretch compared to a bunch of other stuff out there, and it has the same fail state ending as a bunch of shonen manga, in that every plot arc needs to escalate from the last one until the ending is just 800 pages of people manifesting sudden power ups and screaming at each other as stuff blows up.

I don't disagree that the stakes-raising gets a bit silly by the end, which I'd say is somewhat common in the serialized format. At least for the main character, though, the power ups are mostly just her finding creative new ways to use her powers until the end-end, and there's a loooooot of story before that admittedly way over the top finale. Honestly I didn't like the finale of either of wildbow's serials so I hear you there. All that said, I felt it had above average character writing for being in the 'free shlock' pile and as primarily a horror reader I enjoyed some of the grimier elements.

Totally not for everyone and I get it.

mister
Dec 18, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Chris Tullbane's Murder of Crows series is pretty good.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Focusiing on actually school setting superhero stuff instead of running with it, I can think of two, both on Royal Road:

Millisecond: Superspeed is a Curse is about a highschool girl that develops extreme superspeed powers she can't really control, as in for alternating periods she experiences the world at like a thousand times normal speed. Falls into a genre that, I don't know if it has a proper name, but I tend to think of as "lesbians being cute" which honestly I'm not really a big fan of but it's not like it was written on the cover. Beyond that the power and the worldbuilding was kind of fun, with a slowish pace, but the big downside is there haven't been any updates in five months so it may be dead.

Fluff: I actually haven't read this one, because it was much more upfront about it being a "lesbians being cute" book, but I've seen people talk about/recommend it.

A few others come up searching Royal Road, including one called Hero High, but as usual with webfiction without a recommendation 90% of it is probably crap.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 19, 2024

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Thanks for the recs, grabbed the Goon WrittenTM one and a few others

I want to read Worm but I haven't been able to get a working ebook of it on my Kindle yet and I don't wanna read something that long on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

If the school part is less important than the “coming of age” part there’s “Wearing the Cape” series by Marion Harmon. Follows a plucky young thing who awakens as a Flying-Brick type and has to learn to be a superhero by joining a big-time super team.

Also there is the Full Metal Superhero series by Jeffery Haskell about a disabled girl who builds an Iron Man suit.