Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiA4B5Y63IQ

If you're willing to be charmed by a romance between a mute janitor (Sally Hawkins) and a fish man (Doug Jones), this is a sweet and entertaining story. Guillermo del Toro's love for his monsters is fully in the open, Sally Hawkins is delightful, and Doug Jones is as good as ever behind a bunch of latex. Just be ready to accept a fair dose of whimsy, as the movie is going to expect you to follow it into its fantasy.

Directed by: Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy)
Screenplay by: Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor (Divergent)
Story by: Guillermo del Toro
Cinematography by: Dan Laustsen (Crimson Peak, John Wick: Chapter 2)
Music by: Alexandre Desplat (The Grand Budapest Hotel, Fantastic Mr. Fox)

Starring
Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky, Blue Jasmine, Godzilla)
Doug Jones (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, The Bye Bye Man)
Michael Shannon (Take Shelter, Man of Steel, Groundhog Day)
Richard Jenkins (The Visitor, The Cabin in the Woods, Bone Tomahawk)
Michael Stuhlbarg (Boardwalk Empire, A Serious Man, Doctor Strange)
Octavia Spencer (The Help, Fruitvale Station, Hidden Figures)

The Shape of Water expands into wide release this weekend (December 22, 2017) after an earlier limited release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does she gently caress the fishmans?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like this whole movie exists because someone saw twilight then said "whats next? a mummy romance? a frankenstien romance? a THING FROM THE BLACK LAGOON ROMANCE? HEH!"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This movie is excellent. I have a low barrier to entry when it comes to crying, so this doesn't mean a ton, but I cried a few times for sure. Fishman looks excellent.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guillermo del Toro posted:

I’ve had this movie in my head since I was 6, not as a story but as an idea. When I saw the creature swimming under Julie Adams [in 1954’s “Creature From the Black Lagoon”], I thought three things: I thought, “Hubba-hubba.” I thought, “This is the most poetic thing I’ll ever see.” I was overwhelmed by the beauty. And the third thing I thought is, “I hope they end up together.”

banned from Starbucks posted:

She fucks the singular fish man.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sold

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not only that, she confirms to Octavia Spencer that the fishman has a big dick.

I liked this movie very much.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 23, 2017

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought the whole movie was beautiful. The way it's shot, the themes, the art design.

The whole cast gives great performances too - especially Sally Hawkins. She's amazing. I can't say enough good things about this movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This movie's awesome.

Also I don't know how to talk about this in film terms or whatever but it does an Unforgiven where it "deconstructs" its era and subverts the archetypes of its genre by just, like, having the characters act how they'd normally act in this type of movie without the sugarcoating. Like if this was made in the time when movies like it were being made much more often I mean like Michael Shannon's character would have been the hero of the film, the Russian agent guy who thinks the creature is an incredible miracle of nature would have been the arrogant mad scientist, etc. And it's not like any of the characters really stray too far from those archetypes.

This movie looks and sounds great too which was a pleasant surprise since I had read it had a very low budget, though looking at it now it was $20 million, still the fish man looks really good and I love the look of the flick.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 23, 2017

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Glad to hear that the movie was well-received, given the godawful trailer I saw before The Disaster Artist. One of those "here's the entire plot and character arcs edited down to 3 minutes" sort of previews. Was stunned when Del Toro's name appeared at the end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Adore this, may be Movie of the Year.

For all the "sexy fishman" jokes, I kinda like how this movie handled female sexuality in particular. Like a character like the protagonist is often shown as innocent/naive/virginal, but one of the first things we see is her making time for herself in the bathtub. And she's the one who initiates contact.

On top of all that, yeah, Hawkins is wonderful, Shannon is wonderful, there's a great sense of how everyone- even the antagonist- is a prisoner of the times and the expectations involved.

I've seen at least one review which focuses on how it has a lot of references to other movies and doesn't think there's much beyond that, but honestly I think del Toro achieves a certain synthesis here. One homage I really did like is the opening narration using the same trick as Phantom of the Paradise.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 24, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a sphere thanks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know it was really jerk-offy, but the creature going into the theater and being completely transfixed by the film playing was pretty dope.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
This is definitely my favorite movie of the year. I’ve seen it twice :3:. I loved everything about it: the design, the music, every actor was perfect. It went from “Ooh this is weird she is attracted to a fishman” to “I wish a sea monster loved me :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

I know it was really jerk-offy, but the creature going into the theater and being completely transfixed by the film playing was pretty dope.

It worked for me, it reminded me of The Abyss, like it came off as the fish man needing several a few more instances of "everything humans do........isn't necessarily dogshit?" moments for him to really get along with her.

That worked both ways too, the scene where she imagines herself being able to sing to him about how much she loves in and the entire scene smoothly turns into a musical number blew me away. Sally Hawkins did an amazing job in not a lot of time of making that the most bittersweet thing ever.

If we look at some of the z-tier fishman movies of history like The Blood Waters of Dr. Z or whatever, we'll see it's not too uncommon for lead to end up with the fish person at the very very end but scenes like that make is so earned in this movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 23, 2017

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I loved this movie from the opening shot. What could have been a hokey story about a woman infatuated by a sea creature is instead a wonderfully crafted tale where every character is given realistic motivations that weave together seamlessly.

My favorite scene in the whole movie was towards the end of the first act...Eliza (Sally Hawkins) and Zelda (Octavia Spencer) are cleaning the men's bathroom when Richard (Michael Strickland) comes in with his cattle prod. When Richard goes to the urinal you see all three characters in frame. It's shot from above looking down across the room. The perspective of the shot makes Richard seem much larger than Eliza and Zelda...which subconsciously lets the audience know the power/status dynamics between these characters. ...this also happens when...the monster is "wheeled" into the laboratory/holding tank for the first time. Every other character is wearing bright white coats or white shirts (minus the two cleaning ladies) when Richard (Strickland) strides in wearing a dark overcoat in stark contrast. I mean, it's such a simple way to say "yo, this dude is the bad guy" without hitting you over the head with it. I'm sure there were a lot more examples I could pull from but I got lost in the story after the first act and just enjoyed the ride.

gently caress, what a good movie.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
This must be the unspeakable horror Lovecraft alluded to.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

That worked both ways too, the scene where she imagines herself being able to sing to him about how much she loves in and the entire scene smoothly turns into a musical number blew me away. Sally Hawkins did an amazing job in not a lot of time of making that the most bittersweet thing ever.

this really made the film for me. I can't believe something like this got made right now and moreso got excellent critical acclaim to the point where it's probably tied with Ladybird for sweeping. Visually all the setpieces and the tiny world in this movie are so rich and detailed. The area with the holding tanks is remarkable. People in my theater were weeping after the credits which I've never seen happen in years of going to the movies.

kalensc posted:

Glad to hear that the movie was well-received, given the godawful trailer I saw before The Disaster Artist. One of those "here's the entire plot and character arcs edited down to 3 minutes" sort of previews. Was stunned when Del Toro's name appeared at the end.

I had the exact same thing happen to me and was pissed, I literally had to look away because before that I was going in totally blind.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I enjoyed the sexy fish man movie. I was surprised that they outright confirmed that she hosed the fish man.

Also this had so many great character actors in it! I kind of feel sorry for Michael Shannon because he has Willem Dafoe face and seems to always play creeps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rabble posted:

My favorite scene in the whole movie was towards the end of the first act...

The actor’s name is Michael Shannon. Strickland is the last name of the character he plays.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

The actor’s name is Michael Shannon. Strickland is the last name of the character he plays.

Someone else called him Rappaport which is really funny to imagine

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This movie was beautiful and luscious and erotic and fun and touching and just a wonderful experience. I loved the way Del Toro uses splashes of color against a kind of muted noir landscape in a lot of scenes. Michael Shannon, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Richard Jenkins are great as usual but holy poo poo Sally Hawkins. I thought she was just incredible.

One thing I appreciated about this film (without getting into spoilers) was how weird it was willing to get. This film could have played it safe, but it dips into some VERY "unsafe" sequences, bursts of eroticism or even gross violence. I treasure films that zag on me, that take me to interesting emotional places by being willing to experiment and explore. Shape of Water is definitely on my top ten for the year.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was a really good movie if nothing all that special however the only flaw I find in it is the Merman kills Michael Shannon instead of healing him physically and emotionally within as forgiveness. It's debated if its an Animal or a God but it would have helped if as a God it was merciful like the Old Man who had his cat eaten forgave it. I think that would have been a good parallel.

The lead actress did a great job in carrying the film. I like Del Toro's movies and am glad he's doing more original work. Though I swore at one point this was a stealth Darkstalkers movie cause like Rikuo this Merman is also from South America.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

This was a really good movie if nothing all that special however the only flaw I find in it is the Merman kills Michael Shannon instead of healing him physically and emotionally within as forgiveness. It's debated if its an Animal or a God but it would have helped if as a God it was merciful like the Old Man who had his cat eaten forgave it. I think that would have been a good parallel.

I liked that line especially, not because the monster was actually supposed to be a god, but that Shannon’s character dismissed the god thing during the second act of the film because of his arrogance...and it was a fantastic call back when he was finally confronted with what the monster could do. There was a similar callback that I really enjoyed where the camera pans down through the floorboards into the theater at the start of the film and that exact same same pan is used during the bathroom flooding scene.

This was a very well put together movie.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I appreciated the cattleprod being there since that was how John Agar's character "trained" the gillman in Revenge of the Creature, he's basically Michael Shannon in that movie, except he's supposed to be the good guy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mary had a little clam posted:

or even gross violence.

Fairy tale stylings suddenly marred by some of the most brutal violence in film is a Del Toro trademark. I haven't been able to look at glass bottles the same way since Pan's Labyrinth.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Does anyone know what that green candy Michael Shannon was eating was?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat movie.

Although, its Del Toros least subtle film all the dessert, green talk and imagery, referring to the evils of money/capitalism (green jello, overtly green key lime pie, the green candy he eats).As the movie states multiple times "green is the future!". Even the desert (butter cake) the Commy Henchmen eats while not green it is a desert. While he is not influenced or driven by capitalistic and material greed, he still serves a corruptible and insidious means. Same thing with the car that Richard purchase it's not "green but teal" dollying up the actual motifs of the American Capitalist machine (its not oil its freedom, the tax bill helps the middle class), while the ulterior motive is obvious. Elisa, outright rejects this green through the form of the pie. Another interesting tidbit is when the movie theatre owner is lamenting that his business is dying then we cut to a whole row of display TVs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Death By The Blues posted:

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat movie.

Although, its Del Toros least subtle film all the dessert, green talk and imagery, referring to the evils of money/capitalism (green jello, overtly green key lime pie, the green candy he eats).As the movie states multiple times "green is the future!". Even the desert (butter cake) the Commy Henchmen eats while not green it is a desert. While he is not influenced or driven by capitalistic and material greed, he still serves a corruptible and insidious means. Same thing with the car that Richard purchase it's not "green but teal" dollying up the actual motifs of the American Capitalist machine (its not oil its freedom, the tax bill helps the middle class), while the ulterior motive is obvious. Elisa, outright rejects this green through the form of the pie. Another interesting tidbit is when the movie theatre owner is lamenting that his business is dying then we cut to a whole row of display TVs.

Though the creature is also at least partly green.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Though the creature is also at least partly green.

So Capitalism is either a God or Animal at heart that can heal/destroy? Depending on how its treated/loved whatever?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was expecting to love this film. It's.... okay. I mean, it's pretty good.

It really suffers from never giving the fish-man his own strong characterization. They do a good job bringing out everyone else and what drives them, but the fish-man never graduates out of being simply alien. He ends up the flattest part of the film. I wish they'd given him perhaps a bit of a sense of humor, or reticence, or something. Perhaps they pushed the prosthetics too far. Doug Jones as Abe Sapien was still able to emote quite well with his mouth, but in this one he was really limited to his hands, which had also been built up so much you didn't get his characteristic hand performance.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rabble posted:

I liked that line especially, not because the monster was actually supposed to be a god, but that Shannon’s character dismissed the god thing during the second act of the film because of his arrogance...and it was a fantastic call back when he was finally confronted with what the monster could do. There was a similar callback that I really enjoyed where the camera pans down through the floorboards into the theater at the start of the film and that exact same same pan is used during the bathroom flooding scene.

This was a very well put together movie.

The blasphemy is why he got killed, i think. They made too many mentions of blasphemy and swears for there to not be a payoff.

I also thought this was a drat good film, but didnt fully click for me. 4/5?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pick posted:

I was expecting to love this film. It's.... okay. I mean, it's pretty good.

It really suffers from never giving the fish-man his own strong characterization. They do a good job bringing out everyone else and what drives them, but the fish-man never graduates out of being simply alien. He ends up the flattest part of the film. I wish they'd given him perhaps a bit of a sense of humor, or reticence, or something. Perhaps they pushed the prosthetics too far. Doug Jones as Abe Sapien was still able to emote quite well with his mouth, but in this one he was really limited to his hands, which had also been built up so much you didn't get his characteristic hand performance.
he like eggs

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Was this basically an Abe Sapien movie without the license?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Malcolm Excellent posted:

No because Abe is cute and can communicate in entire sentences and is definitely human-level intelligent.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Pick posted:

No because Abe is cute and can communicate in entire sentences and is definitely human-level intelligent.

But how big is Abe's Hog?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

You could see it as an Abe origin story, if you wanted. but basically no

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

yes she fucks the fish, calm down everybody, she fucks the fish

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It makes me lament the fact we'll never get a third GDT Hellboy movie where he and Liz have to take care of their baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's not on his slate but if his next movie was about a Succubus, or a Cat Woman, or a Werewolf, or Frankenstein's monster I'd enjoy him doing a Darkstalkers run.

• Locked thread