Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Universal must be pissed that after years of trying and failing to get the Dark Universe crap going, GDT went and made a Creature from the Black Lagoon movie that will inevitably be better than anything they manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Coulda fooled me if you said Wes Anderson directed. A decent movie but considering the subject, lacking in both tragedy and awe. The music, though charming, was perhaps too saccharine, too sentimental? What do a closeted gay man, an oppressed black woman, a communist and a fish monster have in common?

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 28, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Universal must be pissed that after years of trying and failing to get the Dark Universe crap going, GDT went and made a Creature from the Black Lagoon movie that will inevitably be better than anything they manage.

clearly the problem was that Tom Cruise didn't gently caress the mummy

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My wife saw that new movie mummy movie and said the mummy fucks... Did she lie to me?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I read that they actually turned his idea for a CFtBL movie down.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

My wife saw that new movie mummy movie and said the mummy fucks... Did she lie to me?

The mummy tries to seduce Tom Cruise by psychically sending him nude selfies, but once they meet up they don't get far enough for him to crack open his shell.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Death By The Blues posted:

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat movie.

Although, its Del Toros least subtle film all the dessert, green talk and imagery, referring to the evils of money/capitalism (green jello, overtly green key lime pie, the green candy he eats).As the movie states multiple times "green is the future!". Even the desert (butter cake) the Commy Henchmen eats while not green it is a desert. While he is not influenced or driven by capitalistic and material greed, he still serves a corruptible and insidious means. Same thing with the car that Richard purchase it's not "green but teal" dollying up the actual motifs of the American Capitalist machine (its not oil its freedom, the tax bill helps the middle class), while the ulterior motive is obvious. Elisa, outright rejects this green through the form of the pie. Another interesting tidbit is when the movie theatre owner is lamenting that his business is dying then we cut to a whole row of display TVs.

well, sort of, maybe not

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/946118030236508161

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Good movie, though the fishman lacked a character beyond "victim"/"raw protein diet is a necessity". He was basically an animal that she tries to save, and also has sex with. They needed to do more than a single music/sign language montage, though I guess his signing at the end at least confirmed Koko-level humanity.

Audience lost their poo poo when Michael Shannon's wife brought him that loving green jello cake. All the colors were great as you might expect from a GDT film.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 28, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pick posted:

I was expecting to love this film. It's.... okay. I mean, it's pretty good.

It really suffers from never giving the fish-man his own strong characterization.

This is exactly my take on it. The fishman doesn't really have a character.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, even his body language is pretty staid.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

yeah i gotta say there were a few moments where I was thinking how animal-esque the fish guy was, but i suppose it's not a whole lot different than like, george of the jungle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pick posted:

Yeah, even his body language is pretty staid.

I was hoping for lots of physicality, isn't the point of the Gillman (and Doug Jones for that matter) that he's lithe and graceful? Even when he's clumsy on land is an opportunity to make him sympathetic, but almost every time, they play it as pathetic. For much of the movie, he's a houseplant.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He actually came across as very heavy to me, and slow, which doesn't play to how Doug Jones tends to act. Abe, for example, got a lot of characterization from the way he used his hands and his lithe fidgetiness.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Great movie and Del Toro made me feel smart for guessing early on that Eliza's neck scars would turn into gills.

The colors might be the best part. Teal!

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Took my mom to see this yesterday because we're both big Del Toro fans, and it was awesome.
The theater was pretty packed but I think me and mom were the only people under 70. Looooooooooooooots of old couples going to see this movie. I was curious about what most of them thought, but I did hear an old lady with a cane whisper "that was beautiful..." while we were walking out.

Also pretty interesting to see a movie set in the 50's where our good guys are a woman with a disability, a black woman, an old gay man, a russian spy I guess, and a fishman.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Loved this movie. Though I'm disappointed how tame the sexual stuff was. However, the pussy eating was pretty shocking.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Pasketti posted:

The theater was pretty packed but I think me and mom were the only people under 70. Looooooooooooooots of old couples going to see this movie. I was curious about what most of them thought, but I did hear an old lady with a cane whisper "that was beautiful..." while we were walking out.

I had to double check to make sure I didn’t post this, because this exact thing happened to me with the old people and the quote and everything.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I was so worried when the spotlight hit Elisa and was shocked when a perfectly designed black & white scene followed. The contrast popped instead of looking gray and awful like so many half-assed modern attempts.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This movie is a lot like Crimson Peak---I liked it, but didn't love it and probably won't watch it again. Mike Shannon steals the show although I'd like to see him play a character who's not a complete psychopath (I should really watch this movie where I hear he plays Elvis?) I'll repeat what others have said, I felt like the Fishman spent too much time flopping around and being pathetic/miserable without ever developing much of an actual personality, which undercut the romance. I did like how viscerally gross they managed to make 1962 look in general. There's an interesting theme where as disgusting as everything in the era is made to look the corny old movies they watch are portrayed as transcendent.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 5, 2018

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sinding Johansson posted:

What do a closeted gay man, an oppressed black woman, a communist and a fish monster have in common?

Oppressed solidarity my dude

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I knew it was a solid Del Toro effort when a dude got shot through both of his cheeks. Horrific facial injuries are his thing.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Didn't the girl in Pan's Labyrinth get shot in the gut, too?

This was a good movie. Sally Hawkins has really nice calves.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is exactly my take on it. The fishman doesn't really have a character.
I think that's sort of a tension of the film though, if Elisa is right in what she's seeing in him. Even Giles, who is sympathetic and forgiving of the creature, doesn't see him as a person. Even Elisa's song to a degree is her assuming that the creature can never truly understand her emotions for him which is proven wrong by the end of the film. I think there are moves the movie could have made to give him more personality, but that would just deflate the tension of if this creature truly is a person. I think it's also hard to give the creature a personality in a traditional sense without having him operate sort of on the same plane as a human being which he isn't. Strickland is right at the end of film, the creature is a god. That parallels Elisa basically being a genius (Her musical talents, her ability to easily stage a mostly successful heist), but disregarded because of what makes her different. I think for those themes it's important for the creature to never really be comfortable or able to fully exist in human terms. Because the end of the movie isn't really about general acceptance. It's about love between two outsiders elevating those outsiders from the poo poo and hatred they've faced. It's why we're not able to see those lithe and beautiful movements of the creature till the very end.

Also, weird out there thing I noticed: Strickland is modeled after Ronald Reagan. Really. The "You can tell a lot about about a fella's character..." spiel is directly from a similar Reagan quote about jellybeans. Strickland literally says, "There you go again." There is another reference to Reagan's love of simple candies like jelly beans. My theory is the conception of Strickland is that he's a protagonist from another movie. Another film exists that shows him braving the Amazon and conquering the creature. We're just seeing the continuation of that stock B-Movie where Stickland is played by Reagan.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I haven't seen this yet but where do you guys rank it among Del Toro's best?
I had a friend say it was his best film but they haven't seen The Devil's Backbone soooooooooooo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pan's Labyrinth is his best that I've seen and Pacific Rim is the most fun but this is definitely high quality Del Toro.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
His best are Devil's Backbone and Blade 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
To me Shape of Water and Blade II are his best.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Cronos is my fave.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If Marvel was good they'd have Del Toro direct a Blade III. Like literally just call the movie Blade III instead of Blade Trinity.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CountFosco posted:

Cronos is my fave.

This flick rules and I stupidly always forget it exists, everyone in this thread should watch it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cronos, Devil's Backbone, and Pans are his best.

Shape of Water comes close though. I also have a huge softspot for his Hellboy movies, if only because his style is so fun to watch in a pulp comic book way.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Really liked it more than I thought I would.

Lots of old people in the theater. Thought they might get offended but they were laughing a ton.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sinding Johansson posted:

Coulda fooled me if you said Wes Anderson directed. A decent movie but considering the subject, lacking in both tragedy and awe. The music, though charming, was perhaps too saccharine, too sentimental? What do a closeted gay man, an oppressed black woman, a communist and a fish monster have in common?

It is from MASTER STORYTELLER Del Toro, so you must be mistaken.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Cronos, Devil's Backbone, and Pans are his best.

Shape of Water comes close though. I also have a huge softspot for his Hellboy movies, if only because his style is so fun to watch in a pulp comic book way.

The package Criterion put together with those 3 films is one of the best things they've ever put out.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, weird out there thing I noticed: Strickland is modeled after Ronald Reagan. Really. The "You can tell a lot about about a fella's character..." spiel is directly from a similar Reagan quote about jellybeans. Strickland literally says, "There you go again." There is another reference to Reagan's love of simple candies like jelly beans. My theory is the conception of Strickland is that he's a protagonist from another movie. Another film exists that shows him braving the Amazon and conquering the creature. We're just seeing the continuation of that stock B-Movie where Stickland is played by Reagan.

I dig it. My partner and I agreed that we were very glad that the fishman's backstory wasn't really explained at all, just "Amazon, villagers worship him." A different movie would have a hokey flashback showing ooga booga rituals and Strickland trapping him. Save that stuff for an artbook.

I haven't seen Cronos and now I have to after reading a brief description. Sounds great.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

yo can anyone sneak some guerrilla style footage of fishman going downtown on homegirl asking for a friend thanks

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

yo can anyone sneak some guerrilla style footage of fishman going downtown on homegirl asking for a friend thanks

Just FYI direct fishmans fuckin' happens offscreen, although there is a scene where fishman hugs her while she is nude.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

yeah the scene of him eating pussy is him literally eating a feline cat, not a sex act. sorry

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I realized earlier the film this reminds me of the most is Amelie with horrific violence

Pomp fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pomp posted:

I realized earlier the film this reminds me of the most is Amelie with me horrific violence

It's very, very Jeunet.

• Locked thread