Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xealot posted:

I’ve met Spanish speakers named Esposito, too, but yeah I’m pretty sure she’s not supposed to be Latina. She does have a disability, though, which feels like a rare minority category to represent let alone star in a movie. And there’s the literally voiceless thing, so it’s not subtle.

It's not like Italian Americans were in a particularly good spot in the 60s, so it works either way.

I think that's the part of this I liked the most. For whatever reason, nostalgia for the 60s is really common, and Del Toro has no rose tinted glasses at all. I love that the cosy diner is a cynical franchise manned by a racist faking an accent. That whole setting seems constructed to dispel nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Doesn't Strickland explicitly say the name means "orphan?"

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Sinding Johansson posted:

Eh, I think being sprayed with a hose signifies a related but different idea of dehumanization/devaluation more than blackness. Rambo got sprayed with a hose. A lot of prison movies feature similar scenes.

Well... a film set in the 60s with the Other being dehumanizingly hosed down by white agents of the State is a pretty specific reference to Birmingham/Civil Rights marches. Bringing up Rambo borders on being willfully obtuse unless you see a lot of other Rambo signifiers in the film? :psyduck:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mary had a little clam posted:

Well... a film set in the 60s with the Other being dehumanizingly hosed down by white agents of the State is a pretty specific reference to Birmingham/Civil Rights marches. Bringing up Rambo borders on being willfully obtuse unless you see a lot of other Rambo signifiers in the film? :psyduck:

You literally see protesters being sprayed with fire hoses on TV in the film.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

mary had a little clam posted:

I had watched First Blood that day. I said that being hosed down references dehumanization. Rambo is hosed down in a jail, by power tripping cops who dehumanize him for being a drifter. Rambo's superpower is his connection to nature. He is disconnected from civilization. He was used and abused tool of the government. They are very different films obviously but the characters do have elements in common. Unlike in this film, Rambo does not kill his persecutors.

Is the fishman; a silent, savage, demure, heavily fetishized character really a good depiction of blackness in 2018? Seriously?

And to reiterate the point of that article posted earlier; is Eliza, a woman who sees herself as less than human, and who can only find acceptance by leaving society, a good depiction of disability?

The actual merit in the idea of the fishman is associated with blackness is the connection between him and Zelda's downtrodden, browbeaten husband.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 24, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The actual merit in the idea of the fishman is associated with blackness is the connection between that character and Zelda's downtrodden, browbeaten husband.

Well, yeah, that's the point, both are conspicuously depicted in the same film.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Well iirc the black man only has one scene, to show us that he's physically and spiritually broken, confined to his home like the fishman to his bathtub. He is cowardly and his marriage aromantic. This is a cynical movie where the relationship between him and Zelda reflects the reality of Eliza and the fishman's fantasy. What if the fishman never left the bathtub basically. The vengefulness of the fishman stems from the resentment of the husband.

I link these characters by their relationship to Eliza/Zelda. I don't see how you can link the fishman to blackness specifically without interpreting him as a questionable caricature.
I'm trying to be charitable here.

E:

More specifically, blackness is a human quality while the fishman is inhuman. It is the absence of blackness that propels the fishman power-sex fantasy.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 24, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Punkin Spunkin posted:

still should've beaten Heath Ledger YEAH I SAID IT

correct, with the caveat ledger should have won for brokeback

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

And to reiterate the point of that article posted earlier; is Eliza, a woman who sees herself as less than human, and who can only find acceptance by leaving society, a good depiction of disability?

That society wasn't worth being accepted by. There is no point to her fighting for approval, to be seen as valuable. The "decency" monologue explicitly states what that society sees as valuable, and it isn't anything good. There is more conviction and strength in rejecting that value system and insisting upon your own, as Eliza does. The society she rejects is the one that is broken, less than human.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's also worth remembering that Eliza isn't simply depicted as someone who is a nice person. She's presented as an incredibly smart, talented, brave, and sensual person. The film depicts the treatment of Eliza as not just a tragedy of people being mean or dismissive to her, but this amazing person who isn't allowed to reach her potential. It's reflected in the dramatic question of the film (Is this fish creature who eats cats on the same level as human beings?) being blown up by the answer: No, but because he's a God.

It's a movie that's asking you to not judge the disabled or the different in general by how they meet the benchmarks of what is considered normal.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just saw this last weekend, and one detail I really liked was the way Shannon's character immediately pivots to "You are a god" when he sees what the Creature can do at the end. His worldview is so narrow that he can only see the Creature in one of two ways - either as an animal or a god, and it's entirely dependent on the power dynamic he has with the Creature at the moment. The Creature goes from subhuman to superhuman in his eyes instantly, and he's wrong in both instances.

I feel like it would have been very safe and easy for Del Toro to end the movie with the Creature healing Shannon, but the fact that he slashes Shannon's throat highlights just how human the Creature is. Rather than being an alien personality "too pure for this world," the Creature is instead very relatable in that moment, and Shannon's character presumably dies without learning that about him. A really good movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Liberal Idiot posted:

I just saw this last weekend, and one detail I really liked was the way Shannon's character immediately pivots to "You are a god" when he sees what the Creature can do at the end. His worldview is so narrow that he can only see the Creature in one of two ways - either as an animal or a god, and it's entirely dependent on the power dynamic he has with the Creature at the moment. The Creature goes from subhuman to superhuman in his eyes instantly, and he's wrong in both instances.

I feel like it would have been very safe and easy for Del Toro to end the movie with the Creature healing Shannon, but the fact that he slashes Shannon's throat highlights just how human the Creature is. Rather than being an alien personality "too pure for this world," the Creature is instead very relatable in that moment, and Shannon's character presumably dies without learning that about him. A really good movie.
I dunno, I think that's a bit of a narrow view of what being a god means. The line is calling back to previous comments about how the natives viewed the creature as a god. Strickland dismisses them because they are non-white and "uncivilized" people, but assuming the natives know about the healing powers, it makes the Americans and Russians look asinine. They're impressed by the fact that the thing can breathe under water, and literally have no idea what they're dealing with. The natives who Strickland looked down upon had essentially discovered a cure for all ailments, but they don't align with what Strickland sees as civilization. I get the argument that Strickland's use of the word god might be imprecise and the creature is an emotional being, but I do think validating the natives is an important beat for the themes of the film.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Moon Atari posted:

That society wasn't worth being accepted by. There is no point to her fighting for approval, to be seen as valuable. The "decency" monologue explicitly states what that society sees as valuable, and it isn't anything good. There is more conviction and strength in rejecting that value system and insisting upon your own, as Eliza does. The society she rejects is the one that is broken, less than human.

In this film, Eliza has heartfelt confession about why she loves the fishman, it's because he doesn't know how she is, "incomplete".

The differently abled of course don't have the luxury of simply abandoning society. Society, to this day, pushes such people to the margins, keeps them out of sight and sees them as lacking some essential element of the human experience. In reality the differently abled seldom feel that way about themselves. Running away isn't some heroic act, it's falling in line exactly with society's expectations. No society is simply made up of bad and irredeemable people. Should Zelda and Giles (who have it just as bad really) leave too? It would be a mockery of the progressive movements and struggles of actual gay and black people in the 60s if they had. Aren't they part of the society that Eliza abandons?

I mentioned another film earlier, 70s screwball comedy See No Evil, Hear No Evil. The main characters are a blind and deaf man. Both characters explicitly reject the idea that they are 'incomplete', especially when society tries to tell them they are. 40 years later and Del Toro is moving us backwards, not forwards.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Liberal Idiot posted:

The fishman literally has magic powers though and executing people who have wronged you is not an essential element of the human experience. In fact the most common criticism of the film is that the fishman is devoid of personality. A pagan god is probably the most apt description of him. The character who is too pure for this world is (somewhat bizarrely) the communist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The character who is too pure for this world is (somewhat bizarrely) the communist.

Haha, yes. The romantic surrogates are less caricatured than the actual protagonists.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

In this film, Eliza has heartfelt confession about why she loves the fishman, it's because he doesn't know how she is, "incomplete".

The differently abled of course don't have the luxury of simply abandoning society. Society, to this day, pushes such people to the margins, keeps them out of sight and sees them as lacking some essential element of the human experience. In reality the differently abled seldom feel that way about themselves. Running away isn't some heroic act, it's falling in line exactly with society's expectations. No society is simply made up of bad and irredeemable people. Should Zelda and Giles (who have it just as bad really) leave too? It would be a mockery of the progressive movements and struggles of actual gay and black people in the 60s if they had. Aren't they part of the society that Eliza abandons?

I mentioned another film earlier, 70s screwball comedy See No Evil, Hear No Evil. The main characters are a blind and deaf man. Both characters explicitly reject the idea that they are 'incomplete', especially when society tries to tell them they are. 40 years later and Del Toro is moving us backwards, not forwards.

A movie directed and co-written by a man who isn't a native English speaker using a word that, while technically correct and accurate, has a problematic connotation seems to be getting a disproportionate amount of negative attention compared to the entire rest of the movie going completely against said problematic connotations. And that's assuming that you take it at the most uncharitable reading possible instead of interpreting it as, say, Eliza internalizing the language of the terrible world she lives in.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't think "incomplete" is a mistake. She literally becomes complete at the film's end, it's just not by meeting the standards of normal but by transcending them.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Guy Mann posted:

A movie directed and co-written by a man who isn't a native English speaker using a word that, while technically correct and accurate, has a problematic connotation seems to be getting a disproportionate amount of negative attention compared to the entire rest of the movie going completely against said problematic connotations. And that's assuming that you take it at the most uncharitable reading possible instead of interpreting it as, say, Eliza internalizing the language of the terrible world she lives in.

Eliza goes on to dream that she can sing. Don't insult Del Toro, he is perfectly fluent and no one writes a film alone. Other films have dealt with disability much better than this one does.

If you want a charitable reading, consider why Del Toro chose for Eliza to be mute. This isn't really a story about a woman's disability, it's actually a story about a woman who feels unheard, literalized.

I'll restate my original point, that this movie has political trappings but not political substance.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The real choice around her being mute is that it's a fairytale trope. She is the princess who lost his voice and the creature is the beast who's secretly a prince. And they live happily ever after without the princess regaining her voice and without the beast turning into a white guy.

Eliza goes on to dream that she can sing. Don't insult Del Toro, he is perfectly fluent and no one writes a film alone. Other films have dealt with disability much better than this one does.
Yes, but there is more going on in the song than her wanting a voice. One of the first things we see from Eliza is her doing a complicated dance move on her first try. The song isn't just a desire to speak, but a desire to express and fulfill her potential. But the bigger thing is the lyrics of the song. The implication is that Eliza does really doubt if the creature can fully understand her feelings for him. That I think is proven wrong by the film's end, and that's important: Eliza is wrong. She's wrong in doubting the creature and she's wrong in seeing herself as incomplete for her lack of voice.

The movie is approaching discrimination the same way a lot of American Black literature does: Not by approaching discrimination's greatest crime as barring from normalcy, but by snuffing out excellence which is often depicted as magic. The People Could Fly and Joe Turner's Come and Gone are good examples.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 25, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I mentioned another film earlier, 70s screwball comedy See No Evil, Hear No Evil.
Not that it invalidates what you're saying, but See No Evil, Hear No Evil came out in 1989.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

To enhance the mental image, I'm pretty sure this is the guy who voiced GIR on Invader Zim.

You should be hearing Bloaty.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not that it invalidates what you're saying, but See No Evil, Hear No Evil came out in 1989.

O poo poo

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I saw it when it was released, and despite just being a kid it still felt to me like an old movie, like someone had kept it in a vault for a decade before remembering it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
IIRC Eliza's surname is literally the orphanage where she was found---her actual ethnic identity is apparently Gill Person :pseudo:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The character who is too pure for this world is (somewhat bizarrely) the communist.

communism is too pure for this world, comrade

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As someone with a mental disability I actually find the "incomplete" metaphor a lot more accurate and less condescending than naively insisting that I'm just different, despite the trend in academics towards the latter model. I don't know for certain that I would feel the same if were mute or blind or missing or a limb instead, and I can't speak for everyone's experience, but I don't think it's an inherently flawed way of looking at it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have huge anxiety issues and it ruins my life so yeah, incomplete is a good word.

Very good movie though. Incredible even. But I wish there was more time between. Abe and Eliza. Just a lot more time.

And yeah I’m calling him ducking Abe. He’s loving Abe.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Even if people are offended by the phrase “incomplete,” I don’t see why it’s a flaw of the film because that’s how the character sees herself. It doesn’t speak to some objective belief del Toro has, just the rigid and hostile norms of the period, which the film criticizes openly.

It’s not like the film ends with fishman fixing her voice or anything.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
there were things i liked about this movie but over all I didn't like it much. michael shannon in particular was really great and without him i probably would have turned it off

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This movie was really bad

Boring, safe, shallow as a kiddie pool.

The visuals were nice though

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 7, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People need to learn how to use “I didn’t like this” over “this was bad”.

It’s loving stupid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"This was bad" is fine as long as you can articulate your standards.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"This was bad" is fine as long as you can articulate your standards.

Therein lies the problem.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CelticPredator posted:

People need to learn how to use “I didn’t like this” over “this was bad”.

It’s loving stupid.

people need to learn that all movie opinions are subjective and that "this was bad" and "i didn't like this" mean basically the same thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movie isn’t bad at all and I’m not even over the moon about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

people need to learn that all movie opinions are subjective and that "this was bad" and "i didn't like this" mean basically the same thing.

Not... really? I dislike films that I can recognize are extremely well made but didn't work for me and I like films I can say are pretty much awful trash.

People's weird inability to recognize a film might not work for them but still succeeds at what it is doing or likewise to divorce "I really liked this!" from "it's well-made" is silly.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

It pretty much veered away from every super obvious safe choice. Gay man finds out his crush is just as fake as the lovely pie, he gets no sense of justice or revenge for being treated horribly (by the crush or his lovely former employers). Fishman confronts a cat, we cut away... oh shucks, he's gonna be petting the cat when we come back because he's so innocent and special and friendly -- oh wait he ate the cat's head. drat. Bad guy has a some dead fingers that his body is rejecting... welp, Fishman is obviously gonna heal him, thus showing him the error of his ways and convincing him to open his worldview and trust in Others -- wait no, Michael Shannon went full Zod and made that impossible, then got owned.

Not to mention repeated emphasis on women being in control sexually. Safe in terms of getting Oscar noms maybe? But no way is that safe in terms of what audiences tend to think they want out of fairy tales.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

A take as shallow as the bath the main character masturbates in in the opening scene.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Martman posted:

It pretty much veered away from every super obvious safe choice. Gay man finds out his crush is just as fake as the lovely pie, he gets no sense of justice or revenge for being treated horribly (by the crush or his lovely former employers). Fishman confronts a cat, we cut away... oh shucks, he's gonna be petting the cat when we come back because he's so innocent and special and friendly -- oh wait he ate the cat's head. drat. Bad guy has a some dead fingers that his body is rejecting... welp, Fishman is obviously gonna heal him, thus showing him the error of his ways and convincing him to open his worldview and trust in Others -- wait no, Michael Shannon went full Zod and made that impossible, then got owned.

Not to mention repeated emphasis on women being in control sexually. Safe in terms of getting Oscar noms maybe? But no way is that safe in terms of what audiences tend to think they want out of fairy tales.

Yeah exactly. I can see not liking the movie if whimsy isn't your thing, but calling it safe? It has a mute protagonist for starters. Safe is like a Marvel film or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I dunno; there's plenty of stuff in here that I guess I could recognize as maybe transgressive from the perspective of a hypothetical mainstream audience, but is that audience even going to see the movie? I had to catch it at the campus arthouse theater. And if you've seen any of del Toro's previous movies nothing in here comes across as remotely shocking.

Actually, I probably would have liked this a lot more if I had no idea who was involved and had not seen a trailer. Or any promotional art of any sort. As is I can recognize it as technically well executed and I have a sort of vague affection for most of the characters, but I didn't feel like I got anything more out of watching the movie than I did watching the trailer. They not only told me exactly what was going to happen in advance, they showed me how it was going to happen so there weren't really any surprises left and not much to learn. A few nice character moments, I guess, just...not much to make an impression. Maybe I need to give it a second chance when I'm in a different mood or something.

• Locked thread