Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I watched the final scene again and even though Fish Man just parrots what Elisa signed, s/he does sign more than just "eggs". Man. It could've been so much more in that department, which is a real bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, I bet Universal is kicking themselves over this.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Has anyone seen the Amphibian Man?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a marketing flaw, not a film making flaw. Having the only white man in the movie as a villain and having a woman (in her 40s) masturbate in the opening scene is objectionable to quite a few people.

Michael Shannon isn't the only white man in the movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Michael Shannon isn't the only white man in the movie

Okay, the only straight white american man who isn't Nick Searcy (who is also a villain)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What about Hoffstetler? He may be an immigrant, but he is white.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

He's a Russian spy

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Snowman_McK posted:

He's a Russian spy

...Your point being?

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

SirSamVimes posted:

He also shows the most empathy/character of them all sans maybe Eliza (it’s been a few months but aren’t Eliza’s friends reluctant to help initially?)

“People probably react poorly to the white man being the villain” is a strange stance to take. I guess because he’s a fill-in for American authority in general?

warez fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 7, 2018

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

warez posted:

He also shows the most empathy/character of them all sans maybe Eliza (it’s been a few months but aren’t Eliza’s friends reluctant to help initially?)

“People probably react poorly to the white man being the villain” is a strange stance to take. I guess because he’s a fill-in for American authority in general?

He's an empathetic character for sure. Both US and Russian authority is shown as bad I'd say.

Del Toro always celebrates the outsider. I got to hear him speak about it and he straight up said "this is a love story where the creature from the black lagoon gets the girl in the end." I can definitely see where you'd wonder about the fisherman's consent but I don't think that was the intent at all.

It was a good talk. They made it on a shoestring budget by repurposing sets from The Strain. The underwater scenes at the beginning were done with a filter and actually hanging things on threads. Giles and Zelda's apartments are the same set shot from different angles.

Dagless
Feb 27, 2008
Wow. I'm amazed at how much love it's getting. Really didn't enjoy it.

It didn't feel generic or safe to me (as some have said), some bold ideas and visually/technically it was pretty flawless. Pretty refreshing to see a female lead jerking it like hey ho business as usual.

But every scene just felt so cheesy - I was eye rolling pretty much throughout. Mainly because everyone was either perfect and pure or small minded and evil. So many scenes would begin and I just had the feeling- 'I GET IT':

The rear end in a top hat employer who wanted to use photography, the dickbag husband and kindly Octavia Spencer, the racist baker vs sweet old man. The perfect wholesome family and Michael Shannon who was so over the top evil I just couldn't buy any of it.

And I know this is nitpicking, but the whole fish heist felt so, so easy. That base was a fortress and they had what? One camera on the loading dock and one armed guard? With Michael Shannon in the CCTV room with all the cameras... completely unaware until it was too late? It felt so stupid.

That sort of stuff wouldn't bother me so much if I could have bought the romance between them - difficult to pinpoint why. But I think it's because the 'The way he looks at me, he sees me as whole' thing just didn't register for me... he just looked at her like a gormless fish monster. The whole passionate relationship felt very one sided and unreciprocated.

The worst moment for me, 'you're a good man' to the Russian Spy... I almost cringe fell out of my chair.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It sounds like you were somehow sold something that was not a fairy tale, which made the experience of getting a fairy tale jarring. Or maybe you just don't care for fairy tales. If you do, though, maybe give this a rewatch at some point when you're in that sort of mood.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
would love to see the venn diagram of people who loved this & people who loved Mother!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

china bot posted:

would love to see the venn diagram of people who loved this & people who loved Mother!

Why?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

one film won Best Picture, one film received an 'F' Cinemascore rating, both films are, at their core, engaging in a battle with social mores & expectations that, one could argue, descend from religious texts as interpreted by powerful white men.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
F Cinemascore is a drat badge of honor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
An F Cinemascore Festival would have an amazing lineup.

mother!
Bug
The Box
Killing Them Softly
Wolf Creek
In The Cut
Solaris
The Wicker Man

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

china bot posted:

one film won Best Picture, one film received an 'F' Cinemascore rating, both films are, at their core, engaging in a battle with social mores & expectations that, one could argue, descend from religious texts as interpreted by powerful white men.

I mean, I guess I'd venture that most people who liked mother! either enjoyed or were lukewarm on Shape of Water. They're so tonally different, I'm not really sure what the comparison is meant to elicit. You'd be better off looking at The Florida Project.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hot drat that's a good lineup. How in the world were people so turned off by In The Cut?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hot drat that's a good lineup. How in the world were people so turned off by In The Cut?

I have no idea. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I should revisit it. I'm a sucker for an erotic thriller and that's one of the last really good ones I can remember

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's certainly better than, say, Jade.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's no Color of Night though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Erotic thrillers are almost universally hetero so I think a better term would be "sweaty thriller".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Erotic thrillers are almost universally hetero so I think a better term would be "sweaty thriller".

The only gay erotic thrillers I can think of are Single White Female (which I think is mostly subtext and all the actual loving is straight) and maybe Black Swan?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, I guess I'd venture that most people who liked mother! either enjoyed or were lukewarm on Shape of Water. They're so tonally different, I'm not really sure what the comparison is meant to elicit. You'd be better off looking at The Florida Project.

I'm interested in what the demographic breakdown would be. It's an arbitrary polarity, as neither film would be the best or worst of this year, but it would be interesting nonetheless. Both films could be argued to be "extreme", and I'm curious to see the kind of person offended by one, but not the other...or alternatively, the type of person who loves both, despite their vastly different tones. It's as good of an opportunity as any to analyze the broad tastes of the film-going public in 2017.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

The only gay erotic thrillers I can think of are Single White Female (which I think is mostly subtext and all the actual loving is straight) and maybe Black Swan?

There's a French one from not too long ago, it's on the tip of my tongue. The Weekend, I think? Where a guy has a fling with a mysterious stranger who may or may not be a murderer.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

There's a French one from not too long ago, it's on the tip of my tongue. The Weekend, I think? Where a guy has a fling with a mysterious stranger who may or may not be a murderer.

Stranger by the Lake

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LesterGroans posted:

All I can think of is Talented Mr Ripley, but nothing in the backlit-pointy-nipple style of the steamy 80s and 90s softcore erotic thrillers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

china bot posted:

Stranger by the Lake

Nice. I'll have to check it out.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

All I can think of is Talented Mr Ripley, but nothing in the backlit-pointy-nipple style of the steamy 80s and 90s softcore erotic thrillers.

Good call. And yeah, I'd absolutely watch a Basic Instinct remake starring, like, Gyllenhaal and Armie Hammer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

china bot posted:

Stranger by the Lake

TY. I remember it whipped rear end.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

china bot posted:

"love" would be strong but I did like them both a lot (at least as far as ranking the 2017 films go, I didn't really like either of them as much as say...Good Time). Shape of Water was more charming and entertaining but Mother! will def stick with me longer.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"love" would be strong but I did like them both a lot (at least as far as ranking the 2017 films go, I didn't really like either of them as much as say...Good Time). Shape of Water was more charming and entertaining but Mother! will def stick with me longer.

:hfive:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

LesterGroans posted:

mother!
Bug
The Box
Killing Them Softly
Wolf Creek
In The Cut
Solaris
The Wicker Man

Whoa, where'd all this hate for Killing Them Softly come from?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

I quite like Killing Them Softly but it is one of the most obnoxious movies I can think of.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

LesterGroans posted:

mother!
Bug
The Box
Killing Them Softly
Wolf Creek
In The Cut
Solaris
The Wicker Man

When Bug came out some friends of mine went to see it and they still talk about how bad it was. It actually rules but the response was really strong

Solaris kind of surprises me, it's certainly no crowd pleaser but it's not aggressively unpleasant like Bug or mother! or weird and offputting like Wicker Man and Killing Them Softly

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DeimosRising posted:

Solaris kind of surprises me, it's certainly no crowd pleaser but it's not aggressively unpleasant like Bug or mother! or weird and offputting like Wicker Man and Killing Them Softly

Soderbergh's Solaris is awful. It's weird enough to not have any kind of mainstream appeal but simultaneously way too sickly sentimental to live up to the novella.

like seriously how do you take a book that basically posits "God exists and is mutually incomprehensible to us" and then make a movie about George Clooney being forgiven for his sins and getting his dead wife back

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 9, 2018

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
meanwhile, Darkness & Silent House are very deserving of their F ratings

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Samuel Clemens posted:

you could excise the 08 election clips from it and have a really great movie. as is, it's just kinda good

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I quite like Killing Them Softly but it is one of the most obnoxious movies I can think of.

Yeah, fair enough. It's the right kind of obnoxious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, fair enough. It's the right kind of obnoxious though.

It looks really great too: I'm thinking especially of the poker game robbery scene, Ray Liotta getting his rear end beat in the torrential downpour.

• Locked thread