Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

warez posted:

He also shows the most empathy/character of them all sans maybe Eliza (it’s been a few months but aren’t Eliza’s friends reluctant to help initially?)

I really appreciated how much he's the mad scientist character from any number of these movies from the 50s and 60s and is barely changed at all from that, but is sympathetic. Same with how Michael Shannon's character is a textbook G-man and aside from the occasional profanity would have been the hero if the same script was made a few decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I quite like Killing Them Softly but it is one of the most obnoxious movies I can think of.

I feel like people also weren't ready for an "Obama is full of poo poo" movie just then

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It looks really great too: I'm thinking especially of the poker game robbery scene, Ray Liotta getting his rear end beat in the torrential downpour.

Andrew Dominik knows great looking movies

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

The only gay erotic thrillers I can think of are Single White Female (which I think is mostly subtext and all the actual loving is straight) and maybe Black Swan?

Bound (even if technically a lesbian erotic thriller).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hemp Knight posted:

Bound (even if technically a lesbian erotic thriller).

So are SWF and Black Swan so why quibble

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, nobody told me there was going to be interspecies erotica in this one! Pretty hot.

That said I'm not sure how I feel about it overall. It's beautifully shot for sure but other than playing with some B-movie tropes a bit I just didn't find it very interesting at all. Also the Russian was loving horrific, somebody should start a hashtag campaign to stop such butchering. If a TV show nobody watches can do it better you done hosed up.

E: Speaking of hashtags, I see this was already discussed a few pages ago but yeah there's no way aquaman here could've consented.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 12, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Killing Them Softly is great but when we talk about an F Cinemascore for it I can’t help but remember my friend who took me to it thinking it was gonna be about Brad Pitt mercing dudes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah a lot of the low Cinescore movies were cases of "We thought this was going to be something different than what it was."

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Shape of Water was alright but of the best picture noms I’ve seen (Dunkirk, Get Out, Ladybird) it was probably my least favorite.

I will be using Jenkin’s “If I could go back I would take better care of my teeth and have a lot more sex.” Whenever possible.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Finally saw it. Yeah, I definitely got Koko the Gorilla vibes off the fishman, but I don't think he's meant to be just another animal so I don't understand why people are laying into the consent angle so hard. It was a romance movie through and through.

I wasn't able to suspend my belief enough to believe that it was set in Baltimore, though. I get that it's fantasy but I don't think a version of Baltimore exists where there isn't garbage floating in the water.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to an interview, Del Toro set the film in Baltimore because he's a fan of Barry Levinson and John Waters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
We need to get John Waters to remake this asap.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The consent angle is especially weird as a complaint, since the fishman initiates contact, and its unmistakable sensual contact. Also, he's shown to be perfectly capable of standing up for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

We need to get John Waters to remake this asap.

Marathon it with TSoW at regular cinemas, playing first of course.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 19, 2018

• Locked thread